Any worthwhile Star Trek games?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

I'm on a journey to discover Star Trek. About 3 months ago I started TNG and I'm half way through the 6th season. I don't have the time to dedicate to an MMO. Are there any Star Trek games (particularly in TNG timeframe) worth checking out?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

The MMO is fun to just fly around in skirmishes with other players. No need to dedicate a ton of time.

There's a Raven developed Star Trek game the crew brought up during the LucasArts stream. I vaguely remember it being cool, but they seemed to like it.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Judgement Rites is a really good TOS era point and click.

Elite Force and Elite Force 2 are pretty good Quake style FPS (the first game is centered around Voyager and the second takes place after the TNG movies).

The Armada games are decent RTS games.

And I really liked the Starfleet Command games, but the Star Trek MMO pretty much does everything they did and more. It has some ropey mechanics and gameplay, but the ship to ship combat is really fun and there's a real thrill with being able to command your own ship and design your own crew.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mwng

I liked the Star Trek Generations game in a quirky way. Mainly because Data sang in it. Played a lot like the early Star Wars first person games.

Loading Video...

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Giantstalker

The only ones I would say hold up - at least as games - is the Starfleet Command series. They're pretty technical and focus exclusively on the ships, though. Great games nonetheless if you like strategy/simulation type stuff. The 3rd game wasn't quite as good as the first couple but it was TNG themed, I think.

Bridge Commander is another ship simulator, and it's also okay with mods, but without them it's a bit tough to recommend. Your mileage really varies on this one. Klingon Academy also seems decent, but I never played enough of it to really know or not. It gets praised elsewhere, so consider trying it out.

Birth of the Federation is a pretty old 4X strategy game that I think still plays well for what it is, and has some interesting stuff in it. Other than that, there are a slew of middling Armada and Elite Force games with sequels. I thought they were fun for what they were, competent tie-in games with multiplayer.

Games to stay away from (these are just a few of them):

• Away Team (badly designed and frustrating as hell Commandos clone)
  • Dominion Wars (highly confusing and buggy 3D ship strategy game)
  • New Worlds (ground RTS and just terrible in every way)

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@wintersnowblind: Judgement Rites was apparently the sequel to Star Trek 25th anniversary, which wasn't bad either.

TOS is a whole different ball of wax than TNG, though (a better one).

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Star Trek: Starfleet Command. :D

Since they focus purely on the space combat- I'd recommend SFC over Star Trek Online. If you're really into TNG- get SFC 3, as that's based in TNG's time period (SFCs 1 and 2 are both based on a slightly-altered take of the original series. Star Trek loves its alternate time lines. :P ).

That said, the Starfleet Command games are relatively tricky to obtain these days. None of them are on GOG yet. :(

So if you have difficulty getting any of those three, Star Trek Online would be a decent fallback option given how its space combat is quite similar- if not slightly simplified and faster paced compared to the SFC games to my knowledge.

The SFC games can also be tricky to get running on some modern computers- keep that in mind as well. (Though on my current Windows 7 laptop, I managed to get the original to run just fine)

Also, In the case you end up getting into J. J. Abrams' reboot of the franchise- I'm really hoping the upcoming Star Trek game is good. >_>

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Birth of the Federation! My favorite 4x game, no joke. I have such great memories of playing the Romulan Empire in that game.... You could pick from 5 factions - Federation, Klingon, Cardassian, Romulan, and Ferengi. You would find uninhabited planets that you could terraform, as well as planets with other alien races on them, like you could find Vulcan and try to get the Vulcans to join you. Some people were predisposed to joining certain group, like Feds will have an easier time getting the Vulcans to join them than the Romulans. There are also random things like a Borg cube crossing the map that you could try to fight or avoid. The battles are 3D rendered, so that was cool and a nice change of pace from just watching them bump against each other on the map. That is my favorite Star Trek game.

Star Trek Online is fun, but it's certainly not the best MMO I've played. Still, it is cool to fly around in Trek ships. Plus they're adding Romulans as a playable faction, so that's cool. I like Romulans, can you tell? :) Anyway, in STO I am an Andorian and I fly around in a Intrepid class ship, so I look pretty awesome, but I'm not very badass.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By psylah

I'd just be happy with a pinup of TOS Uhura.

Man, was she SMOKIN' HOT. Even Abe Lincoln had to shout, baby got back.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Bridge Commander is my favorite Star Trek game. It is not super hardcore sim like Klingon Academy but you can definitely feel like a captain of a federation ship. I'd play the story unmodded since the game is properly balanced that way but damn the mods really change what you can do in the free play mode.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@psylah said:

I'd just be happy with a pinup of TOS Uhura.

Man, was she SMOKIN' HOT. Even Abe Lincoln had to shout, baby got back.

I'd wait four score and seven years to emancipate dat ass, know what'msayin

*I'm a horrible person*

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Nictel

@jadegl said:

Birth of the Federation! My favorite 4x game, no joke. I have such great memories of playing the Romulan Empire in that game.... You could pick from 5 factions - Federation, Klingon, Cardassian, Romulan, and Ferengi. You would find uninhabited planets that you could terraform, as well as planets with other alien races on them, like you could find Vulcan and try to get the Vulcans to join you. Some people were predisposed to joining certain group, like Feds will have an easier time getting the Vulcans to join them than the Romulans. There are also random things like a Borg cube crossing the map that you could try to fight or avoid. The battles are 3D rendered, so that was cool and a nice change of pace from just watching them bump against each other on the map. That is my favorite Star Trek game.

Star Trek Online is fun, but it's certainly not the best MMO I've played. Still, it is cool to fly around in Trek ships. Plus they're adding Romulans as a playable faction, so that's cool. I like Romulans, can you tell? :) Anyway, in STO I am an Andorian and I fly around in a Intrepid class ship, so I look pretty awesome, but I'm not very badass.

The massive space battles were awesome

espm400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By espm400

The only one I've played recently is 'Star Trek Online.' It's free to play, and although it's an MMO, I've been playing it pretty much solo (I normally hate MMOs), I just like it for the space combat. The ground missions are pretty lackluster though, and your first 20 levels or so, you'll be ignoring fleet invites like crazy (if you're staying solo), but otherwise it's pretty good. The aforementioned space combat is pretty satisfying, with the sounds and visual effects all staying pretty faithful the the subject matter. Also, despite the fact that I dropped $25 to buy a non-standard ship once I got close to the level cap, it's not necessary to spend any real money in-game. All it takes is a little crafting and auction house use, and you can buy most of the stuff you'll want. One little side note: You'll want to familiarize yourself with 'Joy2Key,' or some other controller mapping program and get your 360 (or equivalent) controller going as I found strictly keyboard controls rather unintuitive.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@wintersnowblind: Judgement Rites was apparently the sequel to Star Trek 25th anniversary, which wasn't bad either.

TOS is a whole different ball of wax than TNG, though (a better one).

The adventure games for Star Trek were good. Old school, but they always got the full voice cast.