• 108 results
#1 Posted by kumquat (128 posts) -

No matter what I'm playing, one of the first things I do when adjusting the settings on a new game is turn on any and all options for subtitles. Cutscenes, dialog, ambiant NPC chatter, whatever. I find myself doing it with movies, too.

I'm not hearing impaired in any way. I just always feel like I'm going to miss something if I'm not able to read along with the dialog. I'm also terrible when it comes to remembering names (real and fictional), so subs help me keep track of who's who.

Anybody else?

#2 Posted by Harpell (168 posts) -

I do, because people sometimes barge in and start talking to me while I'm playing.

#3 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I do it with every game so I'm right with you bud.

#4 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I as well.

#5 Posted by Toxin066 (3288 posts) -

Every single time, because sometimes I just won't catch what a character said.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I tend to do so, as well, too.

#7 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4677 posts) -

I am the opposite. One of the first things I do when starting up a game is turn off subtitles. I don't want dialog distracting me on the bottom of the screen. The problem with this is that some games have poor audio mixing and I can miss dialogue.

#8 Posted by Hunter5024 (5686 posts) -

I always do because I have 2 fans running in my room 24/7 365. Though I sometimes wonder if they're diminishing the experience. I find it frustrating to sit through dialogue I've already read so I tend to skip that and miss the voice acting too.

#9 Edited by Zacagawea (1594 posts) -

I'm never not subtitling. I also skip tons of dialogue, which I probably should stop.

#10 Posted by wemibelec90 (1666 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

The problem with this is that some games have poor audio mixing and I can miss dialogue.

This exactly. I always have subtitles on for console games but only occasionally on PC games, since I play with headphones. Living in a house with others and trying to be considerate means my television never gets very loud.

#11 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

All the time for me.

#12 Posted by Marz (5653 posts) -

always turn on my subtitles, usually it's hard to hear certain words so i get them mixed up with stuff that sounds the same. Subtitles pretty much destroy any misunderstanding that i may have.

#13 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I find subtitles help me take focus off of the crappy or dull animations (like in Oblivion) if there are any.

#14 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (622 posts) -

I tend to always turn the subtitles off so they don't distract me. There have been a few games though that i've turned them on because I kept missing stuff, but those are the rare occasions.

#15 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I used to turn on subs on every game but I read much, much faster than normal speech so I'd end up just skipping all the dialog. Turning subtitles off negates this problem.

#16 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Always on baby!

#17 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

oh absolutely. sometimes its good if characters have weird accents (sometimes accents give me trouble). or if theres stuff going on that makes it hard to hear.

also in general, the dialogue sticks more if you hear it and read it at the same time.

#18 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

Same.

#19 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

I turn them on because my TV likes to play background noises VERY loudly, and makes people sound like they're whispering.

#20 Posted by stryker1121 (1443 posts) -

I do for every game...the sound gets a little wonky on my TV and sometimes dialogue's muffled. Plus, like OP said, I keep thinking I'll miss something.

#21 Posted by bybeach (4831 posts) -

Sure. Earliar in a trailer for COD-Black ops 2, I was trying to understand what the Arch-bad guy is saying to Frank..'Now it begins' I believe. But I would and have solved that with sub-titles.

#22 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

The more cinematically inclined a game is the less I want subtitles distracting me.

If there is a distinction for in game subtitles and subtitles for cutscenes or the like, I will tend to turn the in game dialogue one on because that stuff is easier to miss.

#23 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Always when possible, if not possible it will irritate me a lot because not every spoken line is as audible as it should be.

#24 Posted by liquidmatt (230 posts) -

I'm forever turned on.

#25 Posted by yoshisaur (2723 posts) -

Nope, it takes away the experience for me. I don't play any story-based game without my head-phones on, lights out, and everyone is asleep. I like to get hooked into a game and it really detracts from the experience to have it interrupted.

#26 Posted by Echofoxz (98 posts) -

Yep, exactly the same. Unless the subtitle/caption are poorly done/annoying.

#27 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

Always. When it comes to games you often need some sort of direction so missing out on potential clues or whatnot through dialogue can be pretty important. It's not like a movie that you can rewind at the touch of a button. That plus some context would be nice, one example would be Oblivion when some passers by make a remark that automatically add a quest to your quest log. Chances are that subtitles will give me that context as opposed to not hearing it at all and get confused by it all.

#28 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

ALWAYS BRAH!

#29 Posted by buft (3317 posts) -

I always put subtitles on, no idea why i just like to have it on screen.

#30 Posted by stinky (1548 posts) -

for games yes, always.

movies no, unless there is some distracting noise.

#31 Posted by probablytuna (3665 posts) -

I do as well, when I'm watching movies or playing games. I never want to miss out on what people are saying so it's better to have them on in case I didn't hear something clearly.

#32 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

always sometimes you just can't here anything

#33 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

Always.

#34 Posted by believer258 (11911 posts) -

I usually just leave it on default, though if I find the voices lower than the music and background noises I turn them on.

#35 Posted by Soapy86 (2621 posts) -

I'm not deaf, so no. When they're on by default they annoy the hell out of me. The one exception being Metal Gear for some reason.

#36 Edited by C2C (855 posts) -

Yup, I turn them on whenever possible. Not hearing impaired either.

#37 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -

Always.

#38 Posted by BaneFireLord (2935 posts) -

I tend to listen to other things while gaming (unless the game is heavily story based, a la Mass Effect) so I generally have the subtitles on because I have my TV muted.

#39 Posted by Revan_NL (341 posts) -

Sometimes if the audiomix is horrible. But then again some games have serious issues placing the text in areas that doesn't obscure stuff

#40 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

Wow, look at all us subtitle folk!

I turn on subtitles because for one, I don't think I listen or something because I know I'm not deaf but I miss a lot from dialogue if I can't read it. Secondly, I hate it when an npc takes forever to say a single sentence so it's more convenient to skim read and click through the dialogue like that.

#41 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

Yup, I always turn them on. It makes it easier to ensure I don't miss anything during the dialogue.

#42 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Depends on how voice reliant the game is. If its something like a Final Fantasy, or an RPG I will probably turn it on. If its something like Uncharted then probably not, because those guys will just keep repeating the same line again and again until you do what they want you to do.

#43 Posted by Village_Guy (2579 posts) -

I always turn them on, even though I don't need them the majority of the time...

#44 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (536 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Always when possible, if not possible it will irritate me a lot because not every spoken line is as audible as it should be.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

#45 Posted by bobafettjm (1487 posts) -

Turning on the subtitles is always the first thing I do whenever I start a new game. I do not however turn them on for movies.

#46 Posted by crithon (3253 posts) -

there's always something I miss, like a key direction where I need to go to, so I keep the subtitles on. I view them as essential as the minimap.

#47 Posted by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

I try not to lately, but yeah, I feel like I'll miss something if I don't. I'm the same with TV, especially with scenes where characters are speaking in soft voices for whatever reason.

#48 Posted by ConfusedOwl (942 posts) -

I turn them all off personally. I find them too distracting and I don't want to be focusing all my attention to the bottom of the screen while things are happening.

#49 Posted by VierasTalo (782 posts) -

I always turn them on, in films and games. I don't read them mostly, but it's a lot easier to fall back on them if I don't quite hear something.

#50 Posted by InfiniteSpark (307 posts) -

I turn them on as I tend not to follow what was being said by voice only, they help me capture what was said.