#1 Edited by manicproblematic (78 posts) -

Just to be upfront about this I am posting this now because I have been following the game Repubique and the teams kickstarter campaign with much interest. I said to myself that if they got beyond $300,000 out of their $500,000 goal that I would pledge towards the game. they are now at 350,671 but only have 43 hours to go.

So I thought I would post on here to see who has heard of the game, the team and their Kickstarter campaign. If you haven't heard of it check it out... I think its a really cool concept. Their kickstater page will do a better job of explaining the game concept and their aims for the project.

Heres the link http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan

Also David Hayter (Solid Snake) and Jennifer Hale (Fem Shep) have signed on to lend their talents to the game.

Camoflaj+Logan Headed by Ryan Payton (who has worked on the Metal Gear games among many others) is the team behind the game which initially started out as just an ios focused project but now has been expanded to both Mac and PC. They are trying to make a unique AAA ios game where you guide a Character called Hope through the game world as she attempts to escape a totalitarian big brother 1984-esce state by hacking computers and cctv cameras and the like. The team claim and have shown in videos that the ios version of the game will be designed specifically to take advantage of the devices features, similar in intent to how Superbrothers designed and developed Sword and Sworcery for the ios devices. The Pc and Mac versions will also be designed specifically for mouse and keyboard control.

I really like the idea the team has for the game and would love to play more fully fledged smartly designed games for my iphone.

#2 Posted by Sammo21 (3297 posts) -

yeah, its probably not going to go through...at least on its initial attempt. I threw some money at it a while back but its been a slow burn even with all the awesome information regarding it and the stuff they are going to do/want to do with it.

#3 Posted by CountRockula (398 posts) -

I find it a little hard to mourn Republique, given that I don't really know whether Ryan Payton can actually execute on any of what he's talking about, but I would love to see a game based on those ideas.

#4 Posted by manicproblematic (78 posts) -

Yeah they still have just under 150,000 to go with about 42 hours left... I've been super pessimistic about their chances seeing how slow it had been going... but they seem to be gathering some steam in the closing stages, and I seem to be getting caught up in the anticipation a bit ( hence the post )... but If they do make it, and thats a big IF... it will be tight.

#5 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I just feel bad after finding out Payton used his life savings and sold a bunch of his stuff to fund the game up to this point and now it looks like it is going to die.

#6 Posted by manicproblematic (78 posts) -

Are you allowed to go a second time with the same project if it fails the first time on kickstarter? or is it just a one time deal?

#7 Posted by Kidavenger (3569 posts) -

It's total bullshit they added PC versions midway through the campaign; when the guy was on Weekend Confirmed talking about the game, all the cool features were specifically because the game was on your phone, there are parts in the game where the game actually calls you and delivers messages to you through phone conversations, how is that supposed to work on PC?

Fuck these iOS hipsters and their POS game.

#8 Posted by Brodehouse (9965 posts) -

@Kidavenger: Dude, chill out.

Game looks awesome.

#9 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1863 posts) -

I backed them a few weeks ago and just upped it, will be hard to meet the goal but I hope they make it.

#10 Posted by manicproblematic (78 posts) -

@Kidavenger:

I'm sure they could figure out some way of using the PC/Mac by having an in game IM or something or use the webcam if your computers got it...

#11 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

It's total bullshit they added PC versions midway through the campaign; when the guy was on Weekend Confirmed talking about the game, all the cool features were specifically because the game was on your phone, there are parts in the game where the game actually calls you and delivers messages to you through phone conversations, how is that supposed to work on PC?

Yeah, I really have no interest in it as an iPhone game. I mean, it's already being a little hamstrung being almost exactly like Lifeline.

I like the aesthetic, but I have to wonder of Ryan Payton can pull it off. The lower tier rewards really give you no reason to sign on just for that because it doesn't feel like you're getting cut any sort of slack. I can't see this game being successful on iPhone at more than 9.99, or on PC at $15 (if it's an iPhone port). At the very least, they need to offer some an exclusive cloak for Hope or something like that. Maybe the code to a locked door in the game as a kickstarter supporter lowest tier benefit, literally anything more than just letting us preorder in full without even knowing what the delivery methods are going to be (Steam? Origin? FTP?), or if the game is going to be any good or not.

I might bite on this at the last minute, but I'm not sure. I don't know what version to get even if I do want to get it. I just don't know about any of it.

#12 Posted by manicproblematic (78 posts) -

@UnsolvedParadox:

Dude Calvin and Hobbes! I haven't read that in an age! have all the books... somewhere... been meaning to back and read it again... oh wait yea no their back in my parents house... typical! I don't even live in the same country as them anymore... Amazon it is then!

#13 Posted by BonOrbitz (2196 posts) -

@manicproblematic: I've been eyeing the Kickstarter up for quite awhile and finally threw $20 at it yesterday for the iOS and PC/Mac versions so I get the best of both worlds. I really hope the game makes it's goal!

What I don't understand is if you have an iPhone will the game actually call you like Majestic did? I'm a bit confused about all of the features besides utilizing the touch screen (obviously).

#14 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

It didn't look like they were gonna make it a few days ago when I backed the project but Republique has been steadily gaining steam since then. Probably thanks to their late-game exposure campaign.

If for no other reason, I'd recommend backing this just because David Hayter is involved :3

#15 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

I like that you used a capital letter for Game but not for republique.

Sorry to be that guy!

#16 Posted by MrBoBo (102 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

I agree. They announced it for phone, realized no one gives a shit and announced it for pc as a last ditch effort since these numbskulls realized kickstarter for video games is mostly pc.

Given the lack of interest before hand and what you are saying now, why should I give them anything? Waste of time. Rather kickstart something like gim dawn.

#17 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Their mistake was going for the iOS audience, the people who are usually paying $1 a game. If they had said from the start it was going to be a PC release this would of been funded weeks ago.

Most people looked at it, saw iOS and closed the page, then went to fund Wasteland or Grim Dawn.

#18 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

I don't think this game is ever going to pan out. It's too ambitious for Kickstarter, and too high-concept to really carry through as genuine. I apologize, but I think Republique is doomed.

#19 Posted by Drebin_893 (2918 posts) -

Fuck iOS.

#20 Posted by Tidel (360 posts) -

The campaign started with such conviction that 'millions of people' wanted a AAA iOS experience, and lingered on that while donations stagnated sub-100k. It seems Payton and friends grossly misjudged the market, and I can respect their scramble to generate more interest by adding a PC/Mac version, but even if they make their money I think it's fair to say Republique, as intended, failed. And I think that's important, because enthusiast press is constantly insisting that iOS is the The Destroyer but maybe it's more of a regulator, siphoning off casual gamers that never belonged to 'us' in the first place.

#21 Posted by Kidavenger (3569 posts) -

Is there anything to stop them from just donating to their own project in order to reach the milestone? They will just be giving money to themselves less Kickstarter's 5%; they have said that the game is already funded and just need kickstarter to prove that there is interest in the game; I'd pay that $6,000 (5% of 120,000) inorder to get that $380,000 that is sitting there waiting.

#22 Posted by Brendan (7817 posts) -

I think that, in addition to targeting the wrong audience, Republique's campaign started at a bad time. Kickstarter games have just taken off yet none of the big ones have actually released yet so many people have, on the strength of Double Fine's campaign, funded a couple of games and don't want to spend any more money.

I've funded three games: DF Adventure Game, Wasteland 2, and FTL. I'd spent about $60 before Republique's campaign went live, and I don't want to spend any more money until I start playing the games I initially funded.

#23 Posted by manicproblematic (78 posts) -

@Tidel:

I agree... I only seriously thought about pledging after they announced that there would be a Pc and Mac version too... I do think that they went after the wrong market initially... I would like to play this on my iphone for sure, but yeah most iphone gamers aren't the type of people who would be aware of this project and its kickstarter campaign or be the kind of people who follow gaming news etc...

#24 Posted by manicproblematic (78 posts) -

@Drebin_893 said:

Fuck iOS.

Windows 7 or Android then I'm guessing? :)

#25 Posted by BonOrbitz (2196 posts) -

@manicproblematic: It made it! $508,000 and 6 hours to go.

#26 Edited by manicproblematic (78 posts) -

@bonorbitz:

It sure did! Over 525,000 as of this reply! Glad it will be funded!