Anyone beleive CRYENGINE3 can push back next gen several years?

• 52 results
HonkyTonkGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HonkyTonkGamer

I'm starting to think it is possible this new Crytek Engine can really prolong this current gen systems several more years. I think this could be the Quake 3 engine for consoles. We all remeber what Quake 3 did for PC gaming man that engine was used and modified for years.

I feel like if they wanted they could prolong the current gen to closer to 2014. I mean the Crytek 3 Engine looks freaking SICK now. And we all know over the next few years developers will find ways to tweak and modify it to look better and do better things?

Although. I'm one that would go out tomorrow and drop $400 on a new system if they launched. I still feel this new Crytek Engine can really pump some real good graphics life back into this current gen.

Anyone else think this?

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By tmthomsen

CryEngine 3 is a downgraded CryEngine 2, no?

HonkyTonkGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HonkyTonkGamer
@dcpc10 said:

" I'm pretty sure the next generation will arrive by 2014 no matter what. "

No I'm cool with that. I'm just saying with this new amazing Crytek Game Engine instead of a 2012 next gen release. I think developers could really be on board and insist on delaying things so they can pump out some sick games using this graphics engine.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Jadeskye

i don't think a single engine can push back a hardware iteration. regardless of the medium.

JDoobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By JDoobs

We're coming around to the end of the typical console life span cycle right about now. But both Microsoft and Sony have stated that the current systems are in this for the long haul. Throw that statement in with the fact that Arc and NATAL aren't even out yet, (Obvious plans to extend the life of the systems) and it's gonna be real tough to predict exactly when the new generation will arrive.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By thatfrood

I am a man of science, and I demand evidence.

HonkyTonkGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HonkyTonkGamer
@TMThomsen said:
" CryEngine 3 is a downgraded CryEngine 2, no? "
So are you not impressed with the CryEngine3?
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jadeskye
@HonkyTonkGamer: i don't know about thomsen but i'm not.
LincoIn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LincoIn

Certainly impressive...

I would be glad to see this gen last until 2014, we seem to be in a heck of a good stride of games lately.
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By evanbrau
@HonkyTonkGamer:  You sound like you work for Crytek or something.

Also no it probably won't extend anything since absolutely noone bought the rights to use either of the previous iterations of CryEngine so there's no reason to think anyone will go for it this time. What will extend it is the fact the manufacturers don't seem into putting a new console cycle out right now so they won't.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hamz

A single engine won't delay a new iteration of console hardware being released. All it will do is provide developers a chance to do new or improved things with their games.

My guess would be any new console from Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft will have roughly the exact same features seen in the current gen consoles but with improved hardware which will easily be accommodated for by a new game engine and the industry itself.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Ineedaname

I'm happy with anything that gets us of the unreal engine.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pause422
@TMThomsen said:
All I know is its for all platforms, which would more so say yes. I would like to think it is an upgrade technically at least for the PC version, but I'm pretty skeptical.
71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By 71Ranchero

I dont think it will matter much unless the games that come out on it play as well as they look. Crysis looks great and all but ultimately the game play was "blah" so it didn't sell me at all. 

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By sopranosfan

I think the entire industry realizes that new consoles now would be bad because every time a new console comes out it costs more to develop games.  Combine this with the economic downturn and this would cause only the biggest to be able to develop truly next gen titles anyways and they would take NO chances.  So I see the next console coming 2012 the earliest and 2013-2014 more reasonable. 

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Marz

crytek makes some good engines but until we see 90% of the games in the future using it.  We'll still be seeing massive amounts of unreal engine games till then.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Jayzilla

I don't think you have a choice really. I am as OK with it as you are. Sony and MS need to find a way to make the next gen of their consoles more profitable. I think the mario factory will put out a new console before those guys will. With motion control and NATAL still not even out yet, I think we will find we may not be getting a new generation until 2015 or so.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jadeskye
@Hamz: that sounds like the most realistic situation. i agree.
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By xMP44x

I imagine CryEngine 3 will most definitely make a good impact on gaming. However, at the same time, I don't feel any one engine will be able to hold off the next iteration of hardware. I'm estimating that Microsoft will be preparing to launch a new console around Christmas 2011 or 2012 [providing the world doesn't end :P], and Sony might be able to push until 2014 or so. I mean, companies haven't yet realised the full potential of the PS3, and Blu-Ray is the way forward for gaming. So I imagine the PS3 has several more years left in it over the 360.

HonkyTonkGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HonkyTonkGamer
@LincoIn said:

" Certainly impressive...

I would be glad to see this gen last until 2014, we seem to be in a heck of a good stride of games lately. "
I got to be honest they really could prolong close to 5 more years with this engine if developers would really start using it. The graphics are  great. So if we can get developers to make some great games with great gameplay then man we should all be happy.

I mean most say gameplay before graphics. Although I'm not one of them I'm a graphics whore. But really I think CryEngine 3 has great graphics.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pazy

While I dont think that CryEngine3 will single handedly push back the next generation I do hope that it does happen. For me the start of a new generation is always the worst point since except for a few key places (like Super Mario 64) they tend to produce the same game they did at the end of the last generation with some better graphics and since they have a lot of new power to throw into graphics they have a tendency to fall back to simpler game ideas and forget about making more complex games until a year later or midway through a generation. My hope is that if they extend the console cycle they will reach the limit of graphics and have to spend time inventing better game ideas, tweaking current ideas and making games play better.

jon93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jon93

CryEngine 3 is just like any other current gen engine. The "next gen" is not about improvements in terms of graphics, It's improvements in terms of scale. 

Halo Reach seems to be the first console game to embrace the "More Everything" philosophy of game design, More space to explore, more enemies to fight, More to do, etc. This is what I believe to be the true "next-gen", And I frankly can't wait. Games with more depth, dynamics, and huge expansive play areas is really where the industry needs to go.

(Go and count how many times they use the word "More" in the bungie vidoc.)

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By EpicSteve
@jadeskye said:
" i don't think a single engine can push back a hardware iteration. regardless of the medium. "
This.
Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Liminality

I hate the Unreal Engine, and I want to see more CryEngine games.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jadeskye
@EpicSteve: 
No Caption Provided
eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By eclipsesis

@TMThomsen:

Wrong, its actually better than the Cryengine 2 because it optimised/ and uses better code. However the engine will also be used on consoles but i don't think that this will at all have an effect of the PC engine.

German Programmers FTW 

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Andheez

I think this is going to be a longer cycle than usual.  Eventually they will want $ but I am not sure they know exactly where they want to go with the next generation consoles.  But now we are seeing games that would benefit from the next gen console, they are becoming larger in scope, large MMO shooters for example.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By AndrewB

New hardware will come when old hardware stops selling, regardless of whether it's needed. I think Sony and Microsoft are hoping for their motion controllers to reignite hardware sales and stave off the need for a new console cycle, but I don't think it will be the immediate success that they're hoping it will be on either side, so while their next launches might be stilla ways off, I think they'll begin working on it soon. 

Nintendo is seeing a dramatic slowdown of sales for the Wii, which makes sense given there are only a finite number of people in the world who are interested in gaming and they pretty much all have one (or had one and got rid of it). We've already had rumors of a "WiiHD"/"Wii2" floating around for awhile, and I'd fully expect them to come out with something new very soon. Although we have to take into account the obvious plan for releasing multiple colors of systems. They've done it in Japan, but I believe that only black is available in the US right now.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tmthomsen
@HonkyTonkGamer said:
" @TMThomsen said:
So are you not impressed with the CryEngine3? " 
CryEngine 2 graphical qualities are still unmatched today, but the requirements are so high that only PC's are able to run it. CryEngine 3 is more or less the same as CryEngine 2, but this time it will work on Xbox 360's and PS3's as well. If they achieved that by purely optimizing the engine, it's 100% amazing, but I fear they've just downscaled the engine to run smoothly on lesser hardware.

Watch this video for a comparison between CryEngine 2 (PC) and CryEngine 3 (Xbox 360, PS3).

@pause422 said:
" @TMThomsen said:
All I know is its for all platforms, which would more so say yes. I would like to think it is an upgrade technically at least for the PC version, but I'm pretty skeptical. "

As far as I know, they haven't shown the PC version of CryEngine 3 yet, so I don't know how it will turn out. Since so many people are still unable to run CryEngine 2 satisfying today, I think they'll most likely introduce the downscaled engine to the PC crowd as well.

This is purely speculation, only the future will tell.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Meowayne
@LincoIn said:

So much potential, and all it's going to be used for is mindless killing and explosions. What a fucking shame.
Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

If it's anything like CryEngine 2 then it's going to be horribly unoptimized so barely any games are going to use it. Lets just hope they make the engine actually usable this time around.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By Seppli

Since it's the economic downterm and the higher developement costs which prolong the current generation's lifespan - no, it won't. It will however push the limits of what can be done on consoles somewhat. I believe only the CryEngine, Frostbite Engine and Rage Engine are true next gen engines - while most other engines are merely modified previous generation engines. So yes - I believe there can still be done quite a lot with the current hardware.

Remember the jump SNES games suddenly made at the end of its lifespan? Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy VI and the likes. The advent of the shiny and glossy bitmaps? That's what we are gonna see happen with console games in the coming years up to the advent of the next generation. Games like Crysis 2 and Red Dead : Redemption.

Also - the next generation won't improve that much on the current generations graphics. It will be little things, like rendering games in native 1080p and better AA and AF and of course native motion controls out of the gate. Personally, I hope for somekind of physics chip or an architecture that lends itself to compute highly detailed physics simulations. Looking forward to E3 2011 or 2012. We won't see any next generation console sooner than holiday season 2011. At the very soonest. It's more likely gonna be holiday season 2012. 

P.S. The first company to reveal its next generation plans will be Nintendo. You heard it here first.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#33  Edited By citizenkane

The cycles of console generations are not decided by a development engine, even one that is as anticipated as the CryEngine 3.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sodiumCyclops
@CitizenKane said:
" The cycles of console generations are not decided by a development engine, even one that is as anticipated as the CryEngine 3. "
Exactly. It's never been done before and it almost certainly won't happen this gen.
HonkyTonkGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HonkyTonkGamer
@Meowayne said:
" @LincoIn said:

So much potential, and all it's going to be used for is mindless killing and explosions. What a fucking shame. "
I have just imagined if they started making some sweet RPG games using this new engine. Imagine even a jRPG like FF running this engine for in game gameplay combat. That would be SICK. I truly think developers if they did it could really help push next gen into 2014 or so if they went with Crytek Engine 3 for the next several years.

Or a game like Fable using this engine with full destruction and that level of graphics and physics would really be something special. Mass Effect 3 maybe that would be great.
R_Coles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By R_Coles

I'm all for the Crytek engines, I think they look great and the sandbox editor design is intuitive for how complex it is.  However, it doesnt seem to me that many game developers are liscencing Crytek engines for one reason or another.  I am thinking this is going to change with Cryengine 3 though, considering the fact that they are pushing the simultaneous multi-platform programming aspect of the engine.
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By fuzzyponken

I'm far more looking forward to the Rage engine. Carmack's still the lord of engines in my world. 

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38  Edited By Seppli
@fuzzyponken said:

" I'm far more looking forward to the Rage engine. Carmack's still the lord of engines in my world.  "

Actually the Rage Engine is Rockstar's proprietary engine used for GTA IV, Rockstar Tabletennis and soon Red Dead : Redemption.

ID's new engine is called ID-Tech 5, as far as I know. FYI
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By fuzzyponken
@Seppli: I know. Thought more people would know it as the Rage engine, didn't consider Rockstar already claimed that name. 
thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By thedj93
@TMThomsen said:
Although it is now compatible with consoles, that doesnt necessarily mean it'll look worse than the old engine. Because I remember Crysis Warhead had an engine that was more compatible with mid-range pc's but looked better than the old one. Although I will concede that it won't look as good on consoles as it will on pc's, but that's sort of a given, no?
Avatar image for a_faceless_name
A_Faceless_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By A_Faceless_Name

It seems like Sony and Microsoft want to delay the next gen anyway (why not wait and launch the new systems with Arc and Natal, rather than release these "game changers" mid life cycle.

I am hoping they do hold off for a few years, both systems still have life under the hood. And I kind of want MS to release theirs, then Sony wait 2 years so they are staggered. Make room for both systems and it wont be so much of a console war anymore. That can't happen as far as third party support goes though.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@TMThomsen said:
I don't think so, I believe CryEngine 3 is the new PC one, but they made a downgraded version for the console versions of Crysis 2..

Could be totally wrong with that though.
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By tmthomsen
@thedj93 said:
" @TMThomsen said:
Although it is now compatible with consoles, that doesnt necessarily mean it'll look worse than the old engine. Because I remember Crysis Warhead had an engine that was more compatible with mid-range pc's but looked better than the old one. Although I will concede that it won't look as good on consoles as it will on pc's, but that's sort of a given, no? "
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @TMThomsen said:
I don't think so, I believe CryEngine 3 is the new PC one, but they made a downgraded version for the console versions of Crysis 2..  Could be totally wrong with that though. "
Check my post on page 2.
HonkyTonkGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HonkyTonkGamer
@A_Faceless_Name said:

" It seems like Sony and Microsoft want to delay the next gen anyway (why not wait and launch the new systems with Arc and Natal, rather than release these "game changers" mid life cycle.  I am hoping they do hold off for a few years, both systems still have life under the hood. And I kind of want MS to release theirs, then Sony wait 2 years so they are staggered. Make room for both systems and it wont be so much of a console war anymore. That can't happen as far as third party support goes though. "

If Sony does this then they are GAME OVER FOR GOOD. Sony will and wants to either launch first or at worst launch very close to the same time MS does.  And trust me if we do see a new system from MS and Sony in 2012. There will be no 10 year life span for PS3 like they claim. Maybe in Japan but not in the states. I think maybe holiday 2013 will be the perfect time to launch. Or maybe Holiday 2012. But if they start using the new ID tech 5 and the Cryengine 3 i can wait until holiday 2013. But beleive me I do not want to still be playing Unreal Engine 3 games in 2013-2014 fuck that i'll puke at that shit.
Avatar image for a_faceless_name
A_Faceless_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By A_Faceless_Name
@HonkyTonkGamer said:
" @A_Faceless_Name said:

" It seems like Sony and Microsoft want to delay the next gen anyway (why not wait and launch the new systems with Arc and Natal, rather than release these "game changers" mid life cycle.  I am hoping they do hold off for a few years, both systems still have life under the hood. And I kind of want MS to release theirs, then Sony wait 2 years so they are staggered. Make room for both systems and it wont be so much of a console war anymore. That can't happen as far as third party support goes though. "

If Sony does this then they are GAME OVER FOR GOOD. Sony will and wants to either launch first or at worst launch very close to the same time MS does.  And trust me if we do see a new system from MS and Sony in 2012. There will be no 10 year life span for PS3 like they claim. Maybe in Japan but not in the states. I think maybe holiday 2013 will be the perfect time to launch. Or maybe Holiday 2012. But if they start using the new ID tech 5 and the Cryengine 3 i can wait until holiday 2013. But beleive me I do not want to still be playing Unreal Engine 3 games in 2013-2014 fuck that i'll puke at that shit. "
My thought in staggering them was to have them be on different power levels as well, and not directly competing at that time. It would never happen, but it has some decent potential.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @TMThomsen said:
I don't think so, I believe CryEngine 3 is the new PC one, but they made a downgraded version for the console versions of Crysis 2..  Could be totally wrong with that though. "
Well the gameplay footage of Crysis on consoles was just early footage, Crytek can wow us in the future. Time will tell though.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TwoOneFive
@Ineedaname said:
" I'm happy with anything that gets us of the unreal engine. "
i second that.  
and i hope they get on with a CryEngine 4 in time for the next-gen to compete with the Unreal Engine 4. 
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@TwoOneFive said:
" @Ineedaname said:
i second that.  and i hope they get on with a CryEngine 4 in time for the next-gen to compete with the Unreal Engine 4.  "
I don't, Batman AA was a fine example of UE3 and that was by a dev with a pretty limited history.  The real issue with UE3 isn't technical limitations it's poor art direction.  Ryan's comment "oh look it's an Unreal face" is crap because Unreal engine games only have a certain look because many developers are not motivated enough to move past its default LoD and do the necessary design and planning to make a UE3 game look good and original.  There is no such thing a bad tool only poor workmanship.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TwoOneFive
@SeriouslyNow said:

" @TwoOneFive said:

" @Ineedaname said:
i second that.  and i hope they get on with a CryEngine 4 in time for the next-gen to compete with the Unreal Engine 4.  "
I don't, Batman AA was a fine example of UE3 and that was by a dev with a pretty limited history.  The real issue with UE3 isn't technical limitations it's poor art direction.  Ryan's comment "oh look it's an Unreal face" is crap because Unreal engine games only have a certain look because many developers are not motivated enough to move past its default LoD and do the necessary design and planning to make a UE3 game look good and original.  There is no such thing a bad tool only poor workmanship. "
why not? you seriously don't hope they make a cry engine 4?! 
and Ryan's Oh Look its an unreal face is fucking true. you can always immediately tell when a game is using that engine.  
you just mentioned Batman AA as having motivated devs yet admit that since the faces stil look weird they arent motivated enough.  

UE3 is a good tool, ill give you that. you can build good things witha  good tool and you can build bad things with it.  
I think CryEngine 3 is a much better tool. And Batman AA would have looked fucking incredible if it used it instead. 
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@TwoOneFive: 
No I wasn't agreeing the UE3 needs to be gotten rid of.  I'd love to see CryEngine improving, it's a great product.  As to how good Batman AA would've looked Who Knows?  It looks great as it is.