#1 Posted by LackingSaint (1764 posts) -

I've been noticing that consistently there will be these parts in games where the music kicks up and a huge wave of enemies come in, and I just kind of get caught up in it and lose all sense of strategy and planning. I just dive straight in and attack because it feels more "right" to that moment than if I stayed back and carefully planned what I was doing. Often this results in me getting my ass torn up but for some reason I can't help but do it whenever those sections arise. Anyone know what i'm talking about, or am I crazy?

#2 Edited by markies (53 posts) -

I'm more of a 'careful' gamer myself. I like to plan things ahead and be strategical :)

#3 Edited by squiDc00kiE (347 posts) -

Not so much in that respect, but I've definitely gotten caught up in "OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME" while I'm playing, only to realize a week later that it's far more mediocre

#4 Posted by LackingSaint (1764 posts) -

Not so much in that respect, but I've definitely gotten caught up in "OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME" while I'm playing, only to realize a week later that it's far more mediocre

Oh yeah, I think everyone has that. BioShock Infinite is probably the best example I can think of in recent years for me; I stayed up all night and all day completing it, thinking to myself OH GOD THIS IS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER PLAYED AHHHH". Nowadays? I don't think I really like that game.

#5 Posted by Nightriff (4862 posts) -

Constantly, I make a lot of dumb mistakes in games because I get caught up in the moment and make careless errors

#6 Edited by Capum15 (4789 posts) -

If the music kicks up just right, then fuck it, I'm going in.

Most memorable moment of that happening was Halo 2. That big ol' room with Loyalists and Separatists fighting it out and Blow Me Away comes on. Yeah there were like, 2 (or was it 4? been a while) hunters and a dozen brutes and elites with smatterings of jackals and grunts, but I had a Fuel Rod Cannon, a Shotgun and music.

I've also induced this myself in various other games when playing music from a program or something. Ace Combat 6 (among others) on 360 (via usb cable), and a lot of games on PC. Sometimes Ghost Division comes on and you just have to tell your tanks "go this way and don't stop shooting until either you or they are dead".

Granted, if it's my first playthrough of a game I very rarely play music over it so I'll probably be more tactical.

#7 Edited by MikeFerrari7 (175 posts) -

When I finally beat a boss I've been stuck on, I usually do an excessive amount of excited shit talking at the screen and get pumped up.

#8 Edited by SarcasticMudcrab (146 posts) -

Sounds like an exact description of how I play tf2.

#9 Posted by Pie (7034 posts) -

Halo does that the best. The music is so damn good in those games

#10 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5124 posts) -

When I beat Smough and Ornstien (From Dark Souls) I was yelling and fist pumping like I never have with a video game. It was pretty awesome.

#11 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

There's a point toward the end of Ys Origin where an electric guitar kicks in. I was going to call it a night, but when that music came on, I knew that I had delved into the endgame. And it was on.

Not exactly the same as losing all sense of strategy and planning thanks to music. But I recall wanting to go to sleep before midnight that night. I did not sleep at midnight that night.

#12 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5159 posts) -

I do this sometimes if its a relatively easy game, but in general I try to play well at everything.

#13 Posted by Melvargh (487 posts) -

When I beat Smough and Ornstien (From Dark Souls) I was yelling and fist pumping like I never have with a video game. It was pretty awesome.

I'm stuck on them right now. I will literally become the sun when I beat them.

#14 Edited by crithon (3048 posts) -

the Mitsurugi theme for Soul Calibur always does that to me, and then I win 40 fights in the arcades.

#15 Posted by DarthOrange (3806 posts) -

@melvargh said:

@themanwithnoplan said:

I'm stuck on them right now. I will literally become the sun when I beat them.

I will literally praise you when that happens.

#16 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

\Halo 4, when the music kicks in while your trying to save Cortana, that got me so pumped. Probably the best section of a game I've experienced, the gameplay was nothing special, but the music and Cortana calling for help gave a sense of urgency to the situation.

#17 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5159 posts) -
#18 Posted by TobbRobb (4549 posts) -

I'm way too analytical to do silly stuff on reflex or without thinking. I am however very known to go completely rambo on purpose when I feel like it. :D

#19 Posted by punkxblaze (2948 posts) -

Yes, all the time. Until it ends with me getting my ass kicked, then I eventually take a more measured approach.