Anyone else feeling "done" with consoles?

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Anund

This is kind of how I feel right now. The current console generation is coming to an end, but it's been dragging for so long. I haven't touched any of my three consoles for months now. The last time I played anything at all on a console I think was Journey on PS3, and that was a two hour thing. Other than that I'm playing on my PC. I have the money to keep it updated, and it seems to have gotten to the point where mult platform titles are better on the PC.

I'm not even looking forward to the next console generation. I just feel like I am done with the whole thing. Why buy two or three different consoles and deal with pay to play online and other corporate nonsense when I can get a better experience on the PC?

Right now, I don't see the point with console gaming.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I agree. Consoles are kind of a joke when you're old enough to get a job and maintain a PC.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Bane122

Nope, plenty of console experiences you can't get on PC.

Console (all makers), PC, handheld, browser, mobile... I like it all.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Yeah, I'm selling my 360 and most of my PS3 games (not the console, because I still need a Bluray player), because I just built a PC. I haven't touched my console games since, and half of them I've already found on sale on Steam and Gamefly for mere dollars.

My processor is so up to date, all I really need to do is upgrade my graphics card, and my PC will already be more powerful than the new generation of consoles.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel
@GunslingerPanda

I agree. Consoles are kind of a joke when you're old enough to get a job and maintain a PC.

Not really. Why pay for an expensive gaming PC when I can buy a console at a fraction of the cost?
irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By irrelevantjohn

I tend to buy multi-platform games now on the PC because they almost dip to $30 or under for new games. That is a lot of money saved up for other things, not to mention that I don't have to pay taxes where I live for digital games. I only turn on my consoles for exclusive titles like Rock Band Blitz recently.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cmblasko

I'm feeling "done" with this generation of consoles, but definitely not consoles in general. My gaming time is divided up pretty evenly among PC, consoles and portables.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dezztroy

Ever since I got my PC up to speed a couple years ago, I haven't really touched my consoles at all. Got a couple friends who are the same.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By 71Ranchero

How could I ever be "done" with consoles? Inevitably a game will come out that will not appear on the PC and I will want to play it.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@GunslingerPanda said:

Pretty much.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By FancySoapsMan

no, I still have plenty of use for my consoles.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By irrelevantjohn

@Hailinel said:

@GunslingerPanda

Not really. Why pay for an expensive gaming PC when I can buy a console at a fraction of the cost?

If you are only going to game and don't care about the graphics, then yes I agree with you. Otherwise an expensive PC can do a lot of other shit like work.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Franstone

Considering I got rid of my 360 and PS3...

Yes?

This console life cycle has been wayyyyy too long.

PC just makes them laughable at this point.

Spuirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spuirrel

I have a decent computer and hundreds of games, but I've been mostly playing PS3.

I think I appreciate the games that come out on consoles more. Maybe It's specifically games that come out on the PS3 that entice me, but the PC lineup has seems mediocre to me.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By MetalBaofu

Nope. I don't have the desire or money to get and maintain a PC that is worth a crap. Even if I did, I wouldn't stop playing consoles. There are too many games I like that don't release on PC, and having the best looking graphics just doesn't matter to me in the least.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Rave

Yeah I think I'm going pc next, I'm so done with th way console makers nickle and dime for everything. The price of digital games on Xbox is crazy compared to pc.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By nintendoeats

At this point those consoles are mostly for exclusives for me. So yes?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShaggE

@GunslingerPanda said:

Not really. There's really no reason to adhere to the "one or the other" school of gaming besides a lack of money or a lack of interest in exclusive titles. My consoles peacefully co-exist with my PC, and more games are available to me because of it.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By skadave

I have always been a console guy and i always will be. I don't want to have to deal with all the PC upkeep (i barely have enough time in the day to play a game).

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FourWude

Filthy PC fanboys in this thread.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By happenstance

I still prefer my PC but I expect I will get the PS4 next generation, it still offers enough that Im happy to have both. The other consoles though have gone in directions im not interested in going.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Maajin

Not feeling done with neither this generation nor with consoles in general.

Too much good stuff yet to come, some of it (like The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls), console exclusives.

Avatar image for thebeastwithtwobacks
thebeastwithtwobacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the only thing I use my 360 for anymore is the Walking Dead. And even that I would rather play on my PC, but I started on the 360 so there I shall remain

dbene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dbene

can't imagine the amount and quality of PC games being pumped out can even come close to consoles...but I don't follow the market very well.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

I'm not sure I feel "done" per se, but my PC now overpowers my Xbox and I like Steam oh so much, my friends that I would usually play with on Xbox Live have other stuff going on now thus aren't online very often, and so I'm begginning to feel less inclined to bother with the console versions of a number of games. I think (for me at least) it's just this particular hardware cycle that's wearing thin, and I'm itching for the next thing even if we kind of already know what it'll look like already.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Phatmac

Nope. My favorite games of the year are only on consoles (Journey, Asura's Warth, etc.) I don't have a monster PC, but my laptop can play some PC games. Regardless, some new consoles would be nice.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By oraknabo

If I have a choice, I'd always rather play a game on a console. I already spend a ton of time sitting at the computer and generally don't like playing games with a keyboard. There are hardware advantages to the PC and things like modding I miss out on, but these are things that can be changed on consoles in the future.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28  Edited By Castiel

Nope. I like the simplicity of the console and don't care too much about graphics. The "magic" with consoles is that you can just sit down and play a game without worrying if my console is powerfull enough. A console is also a hell of a lot more physical social gaming device than a PC is. You have over a couple of friends and you just turn it on and go.

No the console is still as relevant today as it was 20 years ago.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deskp

I'm certainly not done with consoles, I find them so convinient. Once the next gen arrives the graphics bump that should bring will be sufficent for another 5 years Im sure.

Cross platform games at the moment only looks sligthly better on the pc cause the games are made for consoles. Those "superior" pc graphics are rarely seen in pc exclusives anyways.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By AndrewB

I've always agreed, but I'll be forced to buy a new console when this generation begins because that's where the games will be. I've enjoyed this golden age of PC gaming, but it will be forgotten by all the moment the first "next gen" trailer is released and the PC becomes a port device once more.

The only consoles I've touched in months have been my handhelds (3DS and PSP). My Wii has been completely unplugged for about 2 years now, and my 360 has been around for exactly one game this year: Mass Effect 3.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#31  Edited By Cirdain
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#32  Edited By BeachThunder

Must have been at least a decade since I've been done :o

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By billyhoush

I think a lot of people are bitching about consoles now that it is end of cycle. Most will jump ship now and build gaming PCs but once the systems come out and after a few years of exclusives and price drops people will start picking them up specially as they become more tailored to being a nice media player experience for your big screen TV.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By Video_Game_King

Not really, although there aren't a lot of games this year that really interest me, so that's kinda close.

Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Erk_Forever

@Bane122: With the exception of specific games, what experience are those?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Hailinel: Because you end up paying a fraction of a cost for the games. By the time the Steam summer and winter sales roll around, the PC will more than have paid for itself.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Shabs

I go through phases.

Sometimes I want the no-nonsense experience of a console

i.e. don't worry about performance, installation, hooking up my PC to my TV, sitting on a couch while playing

There's something to be said for a dedicated appliance for a task. (...though I will concede that Microsoft ruining the "dedicated" nature of the appliance is pushing me more to my PC.)

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By JJWeatherman

I feel the same way. I can't even remember the last console game I bought before Rock Band Blitz yesterday. Must have been Skyrim, but I ended up selling it and getting the PC version.

I've actually thought about selling my 360, but I'm not sure what I'd do if I couldn't play Rock Band games, and so it must be kept.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kgb0515

Nah, those exclusives are always going to get me. I can't wait for "The Last of Us" and "Halo 4". In fact, I just started playing Halo Anniversary multiplayer again after a console hiatus, and I have been loving every minute.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bane122

@Erk_Forever: Well, specific games is what I was talking about. Uncharted, Deadly Premonition, Gears, Halo, Zelda, Mario, Bayonetta, Enslaved, Persona, etc... all great games/series that aren't on pc.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Baillie

No way, I hate playing with a mouse/keyboard.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By laserbolts

I don't think I'll be completely done but I will switch to playing on PC most of the time. There is no way I can't buy the next consoles though.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By gaminghooligan

just got my first gaming pc. I use my xbox for netflix mostly now

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MOAB

yup

i haven't touched any console since i built my pc a few months ago. i was planning on buying the new consoles for exclusives, but i might not even do that until i'm blown away.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By pyrodactyl

so ''go get a gaming rig to be a true gamer, you peasant''

How about I keep my 1000$ and spend 300 or 400$ next year for a console that will last for 5-10 years?

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MOAB

@Baillie said:

No way, I hate playing with a mouse/keyboard.

you can use a controller

That1BlackGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By That1BlackGuy

Not at all, I still find consoles more accessible overall than the PC at this point. I only use my PC to play older games that I can't find physically. I've converted a good deal of friends to PC, but that's only because they care about graphical capability and multiplayer which I never did so yeah I enjoy my consoles along with my other devices.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#48  Edited By Hailinel
@WinterSnowblind

@Hailinel: Because you end up paying a fraction of a cost for the games. By the time the Steam summer and winter sales roll around, the PC will more than have paid for itself.

Still doesn't interest me that much. I have a decent if not powerful PC and a Steam account, and I never use it, because I have no interest in PC gaming.
Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Erk_Forever

@pyrodactyl said:

so ''go get a gaming rig to be a true gamer, you peasant''

How about I keep my 1000$ and spend 300 or 400$ next year for a console that will last for 5-10 years?

Maybe if you're going to buy just one, but, the argument loses some momentum when a person spends 300-400 on two consoles, and even more when you consider a third. Name a successful console from the last 20 years that had support for ten years.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#50  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It sounds like you're just making the transition that many do from console to PC, but I still like my PC and my console, and I still think there's plenty of reason to use a console. While the PC carries many advantages, consoles are cheap, their services and functions are very accessible, they offer exclusive games you can't get elsewhere, and there's just a whole lot less worrying about technical issues with them.