#1 Posted by Demoskinos (14871 posts) -

So I've consistently heard from the bomb guys and others that they feel games are scarier because it's you having to do the things. Personally I'm the opposite. I feel in games I have control so no matter what happens IM the one controlling the experience opposed to watching watch events play out without input. Anyone with me on this?

#2 Posted by laserbolts (5323 posts) -

I'm with ya. Games just don't scare me at all really.

#3 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I'm the total opposite, once I'm in control of what happens it is soooooooooo much worse.

#4 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

movies don't scare me at all these days. however yesterday i was terrified just sneaking around in MGS4, so... and i'm a huge silent hill fan.

#5 Posted by SeanFoster (871 posts) -

As a big horror movie fan, can sit through almost anything, I have a lot of trouble finishing scary video games.

#6 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Try the Amnesia/Penumbra games, I was sceptical about a game's ability to scare but those games scared the shit out of me.

I find that movies are way too detached to have any significant effect, plus most characters in horror movies are so stupid that their deaths are almost their own fault.

#7 Posted by DeF (4903 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

So I've consistently heard from the bomb guys and others that they feel games are scarier because it's you having to do the things. Personally I'm the opposite. I feel in games I have control so no matter what happens IM the one controlling the experience opposed to watching watch events play out without input. Anyone with me on this?

what games have you played that were supposed to be scary?

I ask because I can't relate to your experience at all.

#8 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Nope. Horror movies haven't evoked any sort of fear in me since I was 9-12.

I played Amnesia last year and I felt actual fear for the first time in a long time, it was refreshing.

Neither games or movies are really all that scary though, Amnesia is the only game I can think of since System Shock 2 that was actually kind of unnerving.

#9 Posted by Brodehouse (9965 posts) -

I actually find horror games less scary because I have control.

I find horror movies kind of boring because I don't have control, but that's probably also why I can get tensed up easier. It's a cheap trick in movies that isn't quite the same in games. In movies you have no control to deal with the monster closet, you just have to wait until a very loud noise happens (as someone with anxiety issues and mild ligyrophobia, I can't fucking stand this, I will leave the theater and go to the bathroom). In a game I don't find it as anxious and painful, because a) I don't have the sound cranked, and b) I'm in control. You learn quickly to identify possible jump scares, almost always started by your movement.

I think that might be a specific use case for me and sudden noise in particular. Some people go ' it's worse than a horror movie because you have to walk that hallway!'. I feel the exact opposite, I would rather be in control, I would rather have some agency in the events than have to be subjected to a dumb horror character.

#10 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

Of course. In a game I can simply hide in the nearest dark corner. YAWN. Nice try developers, but that's not scary at all.

#11 Posted by The_Nubster (2169 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

I actually find horror games less scary because I have control. I find horror movies kind of boring because I don't have control, but that's probably also why I can get tensed up easier. It's a cheap trick in movies that isn't quite the same in games. In movies you have no control to deal with the monster closet, you just have to wait until a very loud noise happens (as someone with anxiety issues and mild ligyrophobia, I can't fucking stand this, I will leave the theater and go to the bathroom). In a game I don't find it as anxious and painful, because a) I don't have the sound cranked, and b) I'm in control. You learn quickly to identify possible jump scares, almost always started by your movement. I think that might be a specific use case for me and sudden noise in particular. Some people go ' it's worse than a horror movie because you have to walk that hallway!'. I feel the exact opposite, I would rather be in control, I would rather have some agency in the events than have to be subjected to a dumb horror character.

Most horror video games aren't scary because you do have that control over your situation (Dead Space 1 and 2, especially. Don't know why everyone champions their atmosphere), but in a game where you're powerless to fight the creatures around you, it can be truly horrifying. Amnesia is a good example. There is absolutely zero combat, and if a monster begins to pursue you, that's the end for you. You are punished for looking at them, being around them, or hearing them, yet you have to do all of those things to progress. Games in which you control yourself but not your situation are terrifying.

#12 Posted by MAGZine (438 posts) -

Anyone saying horror games are not scary should pick up Penumbra and/or Amnesia. I'm thinking a proper horror game outta change your mind.

#13 Posted by TorpidCat (9 posts) -

I don't really find either scary, the closest I have came to being scared at either is the ending of Rear Window, but that was more due to anticipation than fear

#14 Posted by TwoLines (2812 posts) -

Not scared of movies (with two exceptions), scared stupid by horror games.

#15 Posted by Demoskinos (14871 posts) -
@DeF I've run the gamut from the Original Resident Evil to Amnesia and just about everything in between.
#16 Posted by DeF (4903 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@DeF I've run the gamut from the Original Resident Evil to Amnesia and just about everything in between.

so maybe you're just dead inside? :D

#17 Posted by stryker1121 (1459 posts) -

@Jimi said:

Try the Amnesia/Penumbra games, I was sceptical about a game's ability to scare but those games scared the shit out of me.

I find that movies are way too detached to have any significant effect, plus most characters in horror movies are so stupid that their deaths are almost their own fault.

I really want to play Amnesia just to see if it can scare me. Playing a game like Dead Space is tense, but in the end you're in "control" and have the ability to fight back against the enemy. Amnesia seems quite different, and frankly I'm a little scared to play it, heh.

#18 Posted by CaLe (3994 posts) -

I'm incapable of finding a movie scary, so no.

#19 Edited by evanbower (1213 posts) -

I''m definitely more easily scared by games.. but.. having said that, It's incredible how easily scared I am by everything. I yelled yesterday while playing Super Mario World when an octopus jumped from behind me in an underwater level..

#20 Posted by darkvare (766 posts) -

i don't find any of the scary the only reason i watch and play "scary" games and movies is cause i love the creative ways people die in them

#21 Posted by Scrawnto (2452 posts) -

I get less tense watching horror movies than I get from watching an episode of The Office. I know that it's going to end the way it's going to end, so there's no sense fearing anything. In games, you may have some control, but there's still a chance things will go wrong. It's not set in stone. Games are definitely scarier.

#22 Posted by wewantsthering (1569 posts) -

You haven't played the right game...

#23 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

I find horror movies much more frustrating because, as a viewer, you have a calm enough head to think clearly and often times know exactly what to do in any situation as opposed to the dim-witted or logic-defying characters in a horror film. However, I find games more unsettling and tense because, typically, I am by myself in a hostile environment and that control/loneliness is exactly what is frightening. You are that person in that deathly situation; you are not merely watching this happen to another somebody else, and you are in control over your life or death.

#24 Posted by WarlordPayne (700 posts) -

I find games far scarier than movies. If something jumps out during a movie I just sit there and keep watching, if something jumps out at me during a game I have to do something about it or die, which leads to far more instances of me jumping out of my skin while playing a game.

#25 Posted by 2xtreme (38 posts) -

Movies don't do anything for me. Give me great atmosphere in a game and I might get to tensed up/ scared to play.

#26 Posted by Stonyman65 (2724 posts) -

I've played some pretty scary games, but I think movies take the cake on that one. I think movies are scarier because it's real. Well, not real but with actual people rather than graphics. More realistic I should say.

I think it really comes down to what the scary thing is. Japanese style ghosts/spirits (think Ringu and Fatal Frame) are always going to fuck with me no matter what....

And clowns. Fuck clowns.

#27 Posted by sBlacksmith (77 posts) -

Only game that got to me was Trespasser.

#28 Posted by CookieMonster (2417 posts) -

They both scare the living shit out of me.

#29 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

games are worse for me than movies.

when im watching scary movies im thinking "ugh you idiot, dont go in that room alone, what the fuck is wrong with you?!"

in games. im that idiot that goes into the room alone.

#30 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

I'm the opposite. To me there is no reason to be scared when watching a movie, because everythings planned out, what's gonna happen will just happen.

But in a game, which relies on my reaction, where I can seriously fuck up a situation by not reacting correctly (hey there, Heavy Rain...), I can get pretty nervous. Because in my opinion, games aren't about control, they're about reaction. You can either win or fail, based on your skill and/or luck.

#31 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

It's pretty random for me. Most things don't scare me these days though. Amnesia was a real quick burn: terrified during the demo/first quick playsessions and then it just stopped being scary and started being boring out of nowhere.

#32 Posted by gamerzach (9 posts) -

@laserbolts:I agree totally!

#33 Posted by gamerzach (9 posts) -

Well, little ashamed, but when i played F.E.A.R the first time i got a little scared, i was on my pc in a dark room at night when every one was asleep, had loud sound on my headset and i couldnt even complete the first mission cause i got stuck in the first house and didnt know where to go, and there was that scary child scream and dead people appearing in dark rooms

#34 Edited by NTM (7409 posts) -

Movies aren't scary, I think they can have scary subjects, but they're not scary like the kind of scary when I was a kid. There aren't really any games that scare me either, but I would say games are more effective now. While I wouldn't go as far to say books are scarier, because I don't read books that often, I do think what can scare me the most is just using my own imagination. Like, if I saw the Exorcist or something, it wouldn't really scare me, but imagining the little girl walk up to me in middle of the night as I was about to go to bed can kind of scare me for a little while, or something like that.

I'll just say this, films are no longer scary, and while I don't think the games out now can rightfully scare me, I think there's a better chance that one will scare me more than a film would. Actually, I think when you're not playing a game, the thought of it isn't scary, and when you do, it can be scary, and when it comes to movies, when you watch it, it's not scary, but when you're done watching it, just using your imagination about the horrible things that just went on can be scary. It's kind of a mix, but the total opposite.

#35 Edited by Kidavenger (3569 posts) -

I don't really get scared by movies anymore, I couldn't play Amnesia for more than 15 minutes without getting freaked out, it's probably the only game that's done that to me in a good long time though.

#36 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1770 posts) -

I think it all depends on what you personally find scary. There is a limited number of horror games, but a tremendous amount of horror movies covering a vast number of subjects, so the likelihood of a film touching a nerve is far more likely.

#37 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Nothing is really that scary if you ask me.

#38 Posted by TheHT (11362 posts) -

@gamerzach said:

Well, little ashamed, but when i played F.E.A.R the first time i got a little scared, i was on my pc in a dark room at night when every one was asleep, had loud sound on my headset and i couldnt even complete the first mission cause i got stuck in the first house and didnt know where to go, and there was that scary child scream and dead people appearing in dark rooms

That one part where you climb down a ladder like any other ladder, and you get into the "turning around to go down the ladder" animation and then THERE'S A LITTLE GIRL JUST FUCKING STANDING WHERE I JUST WAS.

Almost fell out of my chair.

The original FEAR was such a fantastic experience. The scary parts were totally scary. And when enemies showed up it suddenly turned into the Matrix.

#39 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

I find older horror movies scarier than the post-80's breed. But games scare me throughout the history of games.

#40 Posted by Danteveli (1187 posts) -

I havent been scared by a game or movie lately so its hard to say. Still I believe games can be scarier because there is more time to build up suspense.

#41 Posted by Rapid (1374 posts) -

Yeah I Agree,It sort of my feelings about on violence too, I get a lot of unsettled by violence and gore in movies than in a video game.

A guy pointing a gun at the actor's head and threatening to shoot, makes me more squirmish than a gun pointed at a video game character (no matter how realistic the characters look)

I think what most horror video games lack that Amnesia address well (and that's why people legit think it's scary) is it puts in a different mind set.

#42 Posted by Hunter5024 (5702 posts) -

Neither a horror movies or a horror game has ever scared me and this is something that makes me sad. I think it would be really cool to be scared by that stuff, but in horror movies I find it hard to sympathize with any of the characters, and in video games I know I'll just respawn with no consequence so it's hard to treat it any different than any other death. Then again the only horror games I've played are Resident Evil, Dead Space, and Silent Hill Shattered Memories. Maybe I'll play that Amnesia I got in the Humble Bundle on some dark scary night.

#43 Posted by UitDeToekomst (716 posts) -

i can't say that i have ever been particularly scared by either. and, frankly, that doesn't bother me one bit, because i don't find attempts to frighten, or being frightened, to be enjoyable in any way. i haven't explored the genre in great detail due to this. i find it cheap and without any real merit.