• 65 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by cheddartyme (132 posts) -

I mean the type of bloody violence that is super common in games. I just wouldn't feel like watching a quick look of someone getting headshot and his head blown up today. It would have seemed insensitive to me. I'm not saying those more bloody games are inappropriate or shouldn't be as violent as they are, but there is a time and a place.

I'm talking about in light of the Colorado movie shooting in case you somehow haven't heard about it.

#2 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

That guy was just insane. It got nothing to do with violent video games.

#3 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

I don't see how that has anything to do with GB?

#4 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@falserelic said:

That guy was just insane. It got nothing to do with violent video games.

Sadly yes, a lot of times it ends up that people that end up shooting up a school needed help and never asked, or even sadder, asked but never got it.

#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Dagbiker said:

@falserelic said:

That guy was just insane. It got nothing to do with violent video games.

Sadly yes, a lot of times it ends up that people that end up shooting up a school needed help and never asked, or even sadder, asked but never got it.

I like more the comments on the AIM news stuff people saying Lobbying is the reason it all happened. 
#6 Edited by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

This could have been posted in the other thread. Also, why just today? Crazy crap like this has been going on like this for a while. I do feel for the victims, but why doesn't any of the violence bother you any other time?

#7 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

@Animasta said:

I don't see how that has anything to do with GB?

Me either.

#8 Posted by Brodehouse (10125 posts) -

Every moment of every day a soul is in mortal agony.

#9 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Every moment of every day a soul is in mortal agony.

Those poor souls....

#10 Posted by EXTomar (4940 posts) -

Rainbow Moon seems pretty violent to me.

#11 Posted by The_Nubster (2352 posts) -

So after a shooting, no videos with shooting can be put up the following day? That seems like a dumb and arbitrary rule. When is it ever okay to put up violent videos, with this logic, considering shooting and gun crimes happen every day?

#12 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3923 posts) -

I can understand not wanting to watch anything violent today but I don't really think there's any correlation between what happened and what GB should or shouldn't do. I understand the sentiment though, something terrible happens, you don't wanna see more even if it's a game.

#13 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

Got nothing to do with games, Giant bomb aint gonna let the terrorists win

#14 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Oh god can you just picture if a journalist found this thread?

"VIDEO GAMES ARE THE PROBLEM!" - Front Page.

#15 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6402 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Animasta said:

I don't see how that has anything to do with GB?

Me either.

Neither do I, and I would have no problem watching anything violent today. There are killings going on everyday and that never stops me from playing a violent game or watching a QL of a violent game, so I don't see why this should be any different.

#16 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

NAKED CARTOON PUSSY.

fixed

#17 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

i love violent video games?

#18 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

A violent video game is not relevant to the tragedy.

#19 Edited by smitty86 (695 posts) -

Not to insult your feelings or trying to be insensitive but people are killed in horrendous way every day in thousands of places all over the world, let alone the US. Technically, if you were going to have this stance, you should have it every single day.

Also, I just watched 3 men shoot down a helicopter with missiles and then laugh after it burst into a fiery wreck. Still pretty violent. Hilarious, and violent.

#20 Posted by Vinyl (50 posts) -

Only if it was a videogame about unloading on a group of innocents. Otherwise I fail to see how the tragedy in Colorado connects with Giant Bomb, or that anything posted on GB could be REMOTELY as in bad taste and out of touch as that NRA tweet/account that got deleted.

#21 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (850 posts) -

I didn't know Jack thompson posted on here. Fuck.

#22 Posted by Akyho (1698 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

This could have been posted in the other thread. Also, why just today? Crazy crap like this has been going on like this for a while. I do feel for the victims, but why doesn't any of the violence bother you any other time?

Exactly as BraveToaster says.

This minute absolutely horrible things are happening. More horrible than has even been reported in the news....except...that's life. You just have to carry on. I could go into the details however it would just depress everyone, because life can be horrible. Just be thankful your not on the receiving end of such tragedies.

#23 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

Unlike some people I can completely separate fiction from non-fiction.

#24 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Well, maybe if it was the crew taking turns replaying 'No Russian'.. but otherwise, no. It's not relevant to GB at all, so it shouldn't affect how they run their stories.

#25 Posted by Sergio (2243 posts) -

Sorry to break it to you, but people are shot every day. There were violent videos on Giant Bomb throughout the whole atrocities going on in Syria. So while it's terrible what happened in CO, I wouldn't care if Giant Bomb had any violent videos today.

#26 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

@Animasta said:

I don't see how that has anything to do with GB?

Or videogames

#27 Posted by believer258 (12176 posts) -

This has nothing to do with video games.

#28 Posted by Akeldama (4257 posts) -

No, stop being so sensitive and foolish.

#29 Posted by Milkman (17308 posts) -

I can see where you're coming from. Playing any kind of game involving shooting makes me a little uncomfortable today.

It's important to be snapped back to reality once in a while and take a look at all the shooting and killing we do everyday without question.

#30 Edited by Beaudacious (934 posts) -

Are you glad that there is not single act of violence being perpetrated in the world today due to Colorado?

Oh wait...

I guess you'll never play another violent video game, since children are slaughtered on a daily basis in conflict torn 3rd world countries. How about the fact that there are murders every day, in Western society.

The very ignorant claim you make is one of the issues this Denver Theater attacker had, he could not separate fact form fiction anymore.

I'd say you said that on purpose to be a horrific troll.

#31 Posted by championfetus (251 posts) -

@smitty86 said:

Not to insult your feelings or trying to be insensitive but people are killed in horrendous way every day in thousands of places all over the world, let alone the US. Technically, if you were going to have this stance, you should have it every single day.

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

#32 Posted by Bocam (3819 posts) -

Stop being stupid

#33 Posted by thebatmobile (983 posts) -

Hey man, did you miss the quick look on Blackshark 2? Missiles, explosions and russians all over the place.

#34 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Stop being weird.

#35 Posted by rpoland123 (30 posts) -

who cares? youre an idiot if you let something like that ruin your day. Many people die violently each day, these ones just happened to be at a movie theater...

#36 Edited by AngriGhandi (792 posts) -

Some really great high-school philosophizing going on in here. "Did you know violence happens like, a million times in the world, like every day, man?" No shit.

Certain tragedies have more significance to people for a reason. It's asinine not to think so.

And it makes you look like an idiot to marginalize somebody else's perfectly valid feelings of unease, merely because you happened to not feel bad about it personally. Have some tact.

Ugh.

#37 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

There. I made the dick move. We can all go home now.

In all seriousness, what happened in Colorado sucks, and I hope that guy fucking burns for it, but that doesn't arbitrarily mean violence isn't allowed for the next however many days. The only difference between what happened in Colorado and any other shooting going on at any other moment in the world is this one was big enough and during a prominent enough event that we heard about it.

#38 Posted by Milkman (17308 posts) -
@AngriGhandi

Some really great high-school philosophizing going on in here. "Did you know violence happens like, a million times in the world, like every day, man?" No shit.

Certain tragedies have more significance to people for a reason. It's asinine not to think so.

And it makes you look like an idiot to marginalize somebody else's perfectly valid feelings of unease, merely because you happened to not feel bad about it personally. Have some tact.

Ugh.

What he said.
#39 Posted by Hunter5024 (5959 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@falserelic said:

That guy was just insane. It got nothing to do with violent video games.

Sadly yes, a lot of times it ends up that people that end up shooting up a school needed help and never asked, or even sadder, asked but never got it.

Lets not feel too bad for the murderer.

#40 Posted by Drebin_893 (2933 posts) -

@cheddartyme said:

I mean the type of bloody violence that is super common in games. I just wouldn't feel like watching a quick look of someone getting headshot and his head blown up today. It would have seemed insensitive to me. I'm not saying those more bloody games are inappropriate or shouldn't be as violent as they are, but there is a time and a place.

I'm talking about in light of the Colorado movie shooting in case you somehow haven't heard about it.

It's true, today is the only day violence has ever occurred in the world, after all.

#41 Posted by krazy_kyle (715 posts) -

Generally tiring playing very violent games anyway, its nice to mix it up a bit with some sonic generations or something :P

#42 Posted by redefaulted (2830 posts) -

@cheddartyme: You're going to get a lot of weird replies from people who obviously overlook your point so they can post their witty response. I hear where you are coming from, though, and I agree.

Online
#43 Posted by PenguinDust (12626 posts) -

@EXTomar said:

Rainbow Moon seems pretty violent to me.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. It's got guys killing other guys with swords and bows and stuff. I guess "cartoon violence" doesn't count as violence.

#44 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

I'm sure hundreds of people are murdered every day. Why would violence be less tasteful today than it was yesterday?

#45 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3528 posts) -

I see what you're saying but like lots of people have said... shouldn't you feel this way everyday? It's worth thinking about. The glorification of violence is obviously a terrible thing, which is why I choose to think (most) games don't glorify violence. They depict it. It's a communication device.

#46 Edited by Fattony12000 (7558 posts) -

There is a time and a place, and insane murders committed by an utter cunt do not dictate either of those things.

#47 Posted by Milkman (17308 posts) -
@GERALTITUDE

I see what you're saying but like lots of people have said... shouldn't you feel this way everyday? It's worth thinking about. The glorification of violence is obviously a terrible thing, which is why I choose to think (most) games don't glorify violence. They depict it. It's a communication device.

Obviously, violence happens every day. But when something this horrible and this close to home happens, it effects you, or at least it effects me. I don't expect everyone to feel the same way but I would hope people could respect that (though from the responses to this thread, that seems impossible.)

I was going to start playing Spec Ops tonight when I get home but I think I'll just play some Viva Piñata instead. But that's just me, I guess.
#48 Posted by DeadVillager (77 posts) -

People who feel comfortable blurring the line between videogame violence and real, physical violence scare me.

#49 Posted by Hadoken101 (871 posts) -

@Milkman said:

@GERALTITUDE

I see what you're saying but like lots of people have said... shouldn't you feel this way everyday? It's worth thinking about. The glorification of violence is obviously a terrible thing, which is why I choose to think (most) games don't glorify violence. They depict it. It's a communication device.

Obviously, violence happens every day. But when something this horrible and this close to home happens, it effects you, or at least it effects me. I don't expect everyone to feel the same way but I would hope people could respect that (though from the responses to this thread, that seems impossible.) I was going to start playing Spec Ops tonight when I get home but I think I'll just play some Viva Piñata instead. But that's just me, I guess.

I think you're perfectly entitled to feel and react however you want to tragedies such as this. The problem comes from the idea that Giant Bomb (or anybody) shouldn't post specific content so as not to offend certain people. Especially when the content really has nothing to do with the situation other than being violent. Keep in mind, I'm not dismissing you or the OP's opinion. I'm merely stating that not everybody has to feel that way.

#50 Posted by CornBREDX (5965 posts) -

I don't see how that is relevant to a video game website and their content. The last thing I want is for giant bomb to care what is on the news at the time when they consider what quick looks they post.

It's a tragedy. Let's not make less of it by indicating it has anything to do with video game coverage.