Anyone else kind of miss gaming magazines being relevant?

• 64 results
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I remember actually enjoying reading the letters written in to the staff, now I can't seem to run far enough away from random gaming talk from strangers. Gamesmaster was a treasure, and going over and over some games' screenshots with building excitement was glorious.

...but at the same time, magazines did kind of suck, and no way in hell would I want to go back to them, there's definitely some nostalgia to be had looking back though.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bigjeffrey

Exclusive Screenshot

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By falserelic

Sometimes, but back in the day it was always just fun to read, and help make people get excited about new games.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah, they always made for good bathroom reading.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TruthTellah

I'm actually really glad that they're not. I used to quite enjoy them, but now I get so much better information, reviews, and news than any game magazine I ever read. And to top it off, looking for this news has led me to enjoy the gaming community more and get to interact with fellow gamers like those here. :)

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I kind of wish I had kept some of my old ones from the PS1 era so that I could go back and get a new perspective on them.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

Very much so. Official console mags with demo disks I can do without in retrospect, but I miss certainly some of the more personality-driven mags, particularly when that was where you got the best information. These days, even with some of the higher profile stuff like Edge and GamesTM, I find myself just generally skimming it rather than really absorbing the content.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

EGM in the 90's was amazing, it was always so exciting to see it in the mailbox. Same with Game Informer.

Now that everything's readily available some of the magic is gone, but that's the way things are, I guess. I still buy CD's off Amazon to replicate the excitement of getting stuff in the mail. MP3's, who needs em!??

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Kind of, I have an old EGM laying around that I kept where Yoshitaka Amano did an art cover for EGM on FFX. It was really cool to see his take on Tidus. I had one for FFIX as well but I have no idea where it's at. I always loved it when they did stuff like this.

No Caption Provided

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Game Informer is still pretty big dude.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was never into magazines of any sort, so sadly no. I feel it's people like me holding back people who want magazines to be relevant.

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember the days when I used to buy Gamesmaster, Edge or Games TM.
Nowadays they're sort of redundant.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorta, I used to read them all the time. EGM, PSM, and Nintendo Power (Up until the Wii came out) were awesome.

That said they definitely should not come back.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jasonr86 said:

And the cover art is still really niiiiiiice.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PSM 4 LIFE

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If feel that they are dying out because THE INTERNET. All that shit is just outdated once it's out the door.

Game mags have had to revert to "This is your next console" shit, which is the equivalent of "Are you mom enough"

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss specific magazines like CGW, but don't miss reading magazines as a thing to do.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I was a kid and went to the super market I always loved looking at the gaming magazines. When I go shopping now I look at the magazine racks and there isn't one game magazine there...makes me a little sad.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lockwoodx

The king of rags. Oh how do I covet and miss thee...

No Caption Provided

The only 3 I saved, but well worth the trouble.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somewhat, i used to love reading Gamepro and PC Gamer used to be good, haven't read them in awhile tho. Thing is, its so much easier to get and consume info on the internet now days, but there was a certain charm in waiting for that magazine to come.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I read Nintendo Power in elementary school. Good times, but then again anything gaming related would entertain me at that age. I dunno any of it would hold up as an adult.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of. I really liked old Nintendo power. Used to get all kinds of cool stuff from it. Considering that I have giant bomb now and that I can just buy any gaming merchandise I want online, there really isn't much of an unfilled void left by gaming magazines. I'll always fondly remember them however.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flappy said:

@jasonr86 said:

Yep. Plus, Dan Ryckert is great.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@jasonr86 said:

I guess, I just can't fathom picking up a magazine when there's the Internet though. Feels like I'd be throwing money away, rather grab a Subway.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheHumanDove

I remember getting a demo disc from the playstation magazine, and they had a weird japanese import game where you played as a cat inside a little mech thing. It was great. I would have never known about it if not for that magazine. Thanks magazine

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Absolutely not. Everything a physical magazine can do, the internet can do better...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@flappy said:

@jasonr86 said:

Yep. Plus, Dan Ryckert is great.

And they still serve as really good bathroom reading material.

Gamestop has this thing where you get a percentage off of used games with their card. You also get a year's worth of Game Informer, which is probably a big reason for why they still exist and most gaming magazines have gone away. So now I have a big stack of Game Informers in my bathroom. That's pretty much their only purpose.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I subscribed to Game Informer just this year, print version is pretty cheap

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I miss the days when my only source of video game information was from PSM.

No Caption Provided

Those were the days :(

slowhanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Retromags used to have a great collection of old mags. Unfortunately hosting for them fell through and it's a shell of what it once was.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing that I loved about gaming magazines was the wait. Before internet reporting got huge, you had to wait for the information month by month from you favourite mag. The anticipation of each issue was fun. Thinking about what could be reported on, also it made me value the information more. I would read whole articles, back to front, I'd pretty much have the magazine memorized by the time a new one came out. But now I can get the same story 100 different ways, and I find myself skimming rather than enjoying the personal flair each writer puts into the story.

Sometimes I feel 24/7 news reporting on hobbies isn't that great.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss Play magazine because the layouts were so beautiful...but I'm so used to daily news at this point. And I do not miss the clutter.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't miss it in the least. For gaming magazines to be relevant that would mean exclusive screenshots and hands on coverage would have to be important again. Which have always been incredibly useless info about a game. Video is just a much better medium for convey meaningful info about games.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss them a bit. Way back me and a friend would read PC Gamer together off of his subscription. Sitting there and getting all hyped up over a few screenshots and preview material, and knowing it was gonna be so long before I got to see more. There really is something to that. :P

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. I used to subscribe to so many magazines. OPM, EGM, PSM, Game Informer, and Nintendo Power.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthorange: I'm really glad to now be focused on online gaming news and the community surrounding it, but I do miss the heyday of PSM...

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Features/2010/06/Embarrassing%20Mag%20covers/Hardware/PS2-PSM--article_image.jpg

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grew up dreaming of getting to write for Hyper, the Aussie games magazine I had been subscribed to since the first issue.

Finally, I achieved that dream and it was massive for me...and then, soon after, magazines stopped being relevant (hopefully there isn't a direct correlation haha).

I'll always credit Daniel Wilks for giving me my first publish, fulfilling my dream, and setting me on the path toward being a professional writer, and I'll always have a soft spot for magazines, even if they are a dying medium.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By FlipperDesert

I used to read the UK version of OPM and I actually thought it became way more interesting to read after the PS2 launched. They gradually started getting into weirder monthly features and there was a whole section each month dedicated to FF7 fan art/fiction. The demo discs used to just be "Fuck it! Nothing's coming out for the PS1 any more, so here's 30 demos we really like." after a point too, or they'd give out a best-of collection of Net Yaroze games.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can make all the arguments you want in favor of digital distribution, but I can't take my pc, laptop, or ipad into the rest room and safely read stuff while doing "other" things. My work will let me bring a games informer, but not a tablet, in the door, etc etc. You can make the phone argument but you know what, phones suck for that kind of stuff. Even the largest screens are still too small and when you have large fingers like myself typing on them is a pain, and you will have to type to search to find what you want to read in the first place.

In other words, yeah, definitely miss magazines and I still have more fun reading them than staring at a pc monitor and reading that.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By penguindust

@lockwoodx: PC Accelerator was by far the best game magazine of its day. Brilliant and hilarious. Too bad its run was so short.

Gaming magazines have been replaced by gaming websites which offer video and audio in addition to the written word. The information is less distilled, but there is more of it and it's new material is current to the moment. I am willing to accept the trade off.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I really miss 90's EGM. I don't miss EGM 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

A little bit.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

@truthtellah: ah the days when 8MB was front page worthy...

I miss them sometimes, they used to come with some pretty awesome stuff too. I remember back when I bought PS1 mags the demo discs alone were worth the money, and the occasional cheat book was pretty cool. Think I have a stack of them somewhere.

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved EGM and Ultra Gameplayers. I had a few random friends that I helped run a gaming site with in the late 90's and Bill Donohue of UGP was always cool to answer our emails and give us feedback, and really was legitimately nice and helpful despite us all being like 14 years old. Funny dude. Wonder what he's up to now. I remember getting Next Generation for a while too. It had really really nice paper stock at first, then got smaller, thinner and cheaper feeling as it went on and Imagine got closer to being broke, I guess.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By flasaltine

They are still very relevant... even though they don't even have as many subscribers as any popular youtube channel.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, loved them at the time, but they cost a fortune. If you wanted to read an imported magazine it could cost up to 20 bucks. I'll take free websites over magazines anytime.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#48  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I'm not sure, after a long hiatus I bought a magazine about 2 years ago, and it kinda felt like a waste of money, even if we skip past the part where their news and reviews usually aren't that relevant by the time the magazines are printed, it seemed like there wasn't a lot of interesting editorials/long form stuff either, just a lot of stuff I already can find more well written stuff about on the Internet.

I guess I also bought the first issue of a more long form/essay centric "gaming culture journal" 2 or 3 years ago as well, going more for the Kill Screen or Quarter to three style, which was fairly interesting, but seemed like it didn't sell a lot, and, well, I already gave two examples of websites doing the same kind of thing, so I'm not sure it being in print was a necessary thing.

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'll take a gander at GameInformer while I'm on the toilet. Good read still.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed them at the time but fuck wasting money on that now, I have the Internet.