• 0 results
#1 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

I remember back when GB was first starting, I believe Jeff said something along the lines of how they only post the news that matters. Rather than giving you a bunch of random news that not everyone cares about.

I look at the front page now, and with the latest additions to the news staff, it seems like constant rumors are posted. Usually the kind of "Hey I heard that company X might possibly be making game Y according to website B which heard from website A. Now I report this to you as website C with my own personal 'witty' commentary." I just don't find stuff like this relevant or to be anything I care about. Rumor posting, news posting leading to a youtube video, whatever -  it is not news.

I don't mean to knock the new additions like Matt and Brad. I'm sure they're fine people. But I think GB is just kinda losing it's focus a bit. Doesn't seem to be as...unique? With the flow of all the news items now it's just another game website reporting news. And again, I'm sure they're fine people, but I don't care for their writing that much either. Matt seems to try to imitate the GB crew a little too much rather than creating his own style. Instead his articles come off as someone who is just trying to copy Jeff except trying to put in more humor than needed. And Brad seems okay, he's more comfortable doing his own style - but again, his writing is a little too game-rumor-of-the-hour style.

I'm sure people will complain that I'm complaining over free content. But that doesn't mean that it can't be criticized. I'm sure some people are totally okay with how the site is focused now and enjoy it. I enjoy it still too. But I can't be the only one noticing a change that's not necessarily for the better. Which kinda leads to quests and how they're pretty useless too when more of an emphasis should be put on getting people to fill out the wiki. But that's another topic.

#2 Posted by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -

Yeah, I preferred the limited flow of quality written material from the familiar faces. Brace yourself for the pitchforks wielded by the "you're afraid of change" and "complaint hypocrite" crowd.

#3 Posted by ToadRunner (277 posts) -

absolutely agree, i especially hate the way new brad always tries to get himself gamer cred.

everytime he mentions goldeneye he talks about cardboard on screens.

that shit doesnt make you cool, it just makes you look like you are tryint too hard.

you might as well eat gamer  grub and wear super mario bros underwear

#4 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

I can see where you are coming from, but as someone who joined here recently (Jan 2010). I came here thinking that the news section was lacking. I am perfectly okay with the recent influx of video game news. It caters to more people instead of the people who share the same tastes as the original 4 guys. I'm into sports games so that NBA 2K11 article is something I appreciated. I wouldn't expect the other GB staff to post it because I don't think they're that big on NBA video games. 

To argue your point about focus, the fact that they have these two new guys mean that they'll have more time to create their video content and reviews instead of worrying about writing a news article for 30 minutes. I embrace the change wholeheartedly and hopefully it grows on you even if you're not a huge fan at first.

#5 Posted by DukeT (119 posts) -
@TripMasterMunky: I agree with the stuff you said about the news completely. However, sometimes its just a slow day, and a few topics are thrown out there. But, again, its getting a tad bit out of hand. The quest system for me is just meh. I guess its cool for the people who like that kind of stuff, but it has a lot more potential than I think GB realizes. That thing with the Halo:Reach beta codes a while back was pretty damn cool, and if more of these quests would give me rewards like that, I would happily complete more of them.
#6 Edited by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -
@CoolDrMoney said:

" Yeah, I preferred the limited flow of quality written material from the familiar faces. Brace yourself for the pitchforks wielded by the "you're afraid of change" and "complaint hypocrite" crowd. "

Yeah I'm fully prepared. But people saying stuff on the internet doesn't really hurt me at all lol. It's just silly.

I was just curious if others thought the same or not. It just seems like focus is lost is all. If I want a bunch of random rumors I'd go to Kotaku or whatever other million gaming blog sites are out there. I liked having GB filter all that crap out for me before.

Not to mention that the GB front page is already too cluttered to be able to deal with constant news postings.
#7 Edited by Mattalorian (594 posts) -

I agree 100%. 
Matt and Brad are terrific writers, but all the new content seems to be a step in the complete wrong direction. Instead of having a few excellent articles a day, about interesting and relevant subjects, there's dozens and dozens of posts everyday about small rumors and insignificant things. Also, I think there was something very unique and compelling about the writing style of the original four members. Enough so that I used to read pretty much every article as I saw them. Now, I glance right over them, as unfortunately they're not nearly as witty, and have much less impact as an article, due to the inconsequential subject matter.
Giant Bomb used to strive for uncompromised quality in the past, but unfortunately I think they've taken a step in the wrong direction.
I'm probably overdramatizing the issue, of course, but I used to be really fond of the old quality-over-quantity style of news.

#8 Posted by btman (1038 posts) -

I agree.  I don't like how much crappy news there is.  I DON'T care about a Mummy MMO... I don't think anyone does.

#9 Posted by imad81 (107 posts) -

totally agree with you dude..

#10 Posted by ToadRunner (277 posts) -

wow, they reported on a fucking mummy mmo.

i just love how those guys have a job stealing info from other gaming sites and writing crappy articles about them here.

#11 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -

If there was some way to filter the news articles based on who posted it, I would have absolutely no problem with this. My problem with it is just that It's so hard to find the news articles written by Jeff, Brad or Ryan now.

Also, I hate to say it, but I probably would be more open to the increased news flow if the articles weren't just grabbed from other game blogs, reworded and posted 3 hours later than the competition. I would love it if they brought in some guys to start writing opinion pieces.

#12 Posted by thewonderwaffle (54 posts) -

Totally agree.
It would be one thing if GB actually "broke" stories, but as Jeff mentioned in the beginning, they don't have the resources to really do that. My biggest problem is that only the most recent 6 or 7 stories are posted in the news section on the front page, so I have to dig for the meat beyond the fluff.

#13 Posted by Laksa (240 posts) -
@sixghost said:
"

If there was some way to filter the news articles based on who posted it, I would have absolutely no problem with this. My problem with it is just that It's so hard to find the news articles written by Jeff, Brad or Ryan now.

Also, I hate to say it, but I probably would be more open to the increased news flow if the articles weren't just grabbed from other game blogs, reworded and posted 3 hours later than the competition. I would love it if they brought in some guys to start writing opinion pieces.

"
Agreed.
#14 Posted by Skogen (430 posts) -
@Laksa said:
" @sixghost said:
"

"
Agreed. "
This.
#15 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2312 posts) -

It's good that there are more stories. There are a variety of users on this site whose interests sometimes don't mesh with the original crew's interests, so it's good to see that some significant stories that maybe wouldn't get a post before are being covered now. The post about the new rules in Madden, for example.

What I don't like is the stories that aren't significant. Matt and Brad are fine writers, but I think they're losing sight of Giant Bomb's focus a bit when deciding what to write about. It would really help if they each took a good hard look at every story they consider writing a post about, and ask themselves "Is this information truly relevant or helpful to most of our audience? Do we have more to say about this information than the many news-dedicated sites do? Is there any meat to this story, or is it just rumor and speculation with no official words?" If the answer to those questions is "no", then leave it unaddressed. The idea of a FTP MMO based on The Mummy is kind of a laugh, but I already read about it at about 5 other sites, plus forums. I think the same is true for most other users, because GB is not really anyone's single source of gaming info and it's not really meant to be. We all read Joystiq or Kotaku or some other site larger than this one.

But whatever, I'm not Jeff. I don't know how to run the site, and like some people are saying, it's easy to ignore for the time being. That's just my take.

EDIT: Also, that thing that some posts have now that says "What do you think about this story? Do you approve of such-and-such? Talk about it in the comments!" Is reeeeealllly weird.

#16 Edited by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Well, it is good writing practice for the new staff members. Personally, I don't mind, since GB is one of the premiere places where I go for video game news. With that said, I only read articles that I think look interesting, so apparently I'm just skipping most of the articles you dudes are complaining about...

Oh, and dude, for the record, rumors or not, Goldeneye is ALWAYS big news.

#17 Posted by TrakMastaTom (61 posts) -

I hate the new guys.  The quality over quantity mentality is what attracted me to GB in the first place, and it's like a completely different site now.  I wish they would go back to the way it was before.

#18 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

This will take a while, but I am going to take a guess and say that Brad and Matt are both new in the Game Journalism business in the sense that they do not have the knowledge and strong opinions of games that the others in this site have.  I read the article on Pokemon, and for the most part I didn't expect to see it written in that way, as the last thing I wanted to read about was how much the writer loved pokemon.  If the writer knows his history isn't something that is unique to the experience of others, just don't write it in, as it turns a news article into a filler article real easily.

I hope that with more experience, the new writers find their way and start to make more intelligent and meaningful posts, instead of trying to forcefully connect with the crowd.  This isn't necessary as I see this everywhere now.  The need to reference the readers so directly, the need to talk about your childhood memories etc.  I should only see this stuff in blogs, not news articles.

#19 Posted by RenMcKormack (1072 posts) -

This is the second bull s thread on the same exact topie I love you all but, personal attacks on a dude for posting news or gathering news is dumb.

#20 Posted by MB (11982 posts) -

I like the idea of having additional writers work on news stories, and I believe that they will come into their own in time and everything will balance out nicely. They'll figure it out guys, relax.

#21 Edited by Endogene (4741 posts) -

I can find the same news better written, more detailed, less biased, better researched and most of the times at least a day earlier elsewhere so i do not see the point of this new direction. I would have preferred if the staff simply started looking at the forums and pushed the better written threads about news and announcement on the front page every now and then.  

#22 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1478 posts) -
  @Mattalorian said:

" I agree 100%. 
Matt and Brad are terrific writers, but all the new content seems to be 360 degrees from the news style that Giant Bomb used to have.

A 360 would put them right back to where they were, I think you meant 180.
 As long as their writing isn't annoying, and the Bombcast and QLs stay entertaining, I don't have a problem with it. I mainly come here for the forums anyway.

#23 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Yeah, it's really strange that Giantbomb is going into a blogging type of news site.

#24 Edited by Daveyo520 (6652 posts) -

I like it just fine. The new guys are just fine. We get a few more stories, I thought that was a good thing.

#25 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -
@RenMcKormack said:
" This is the second bull s thread on the same exact topie I love you all but, personal attacks on a dude for posting news or gathering news is dumb. "
How is this in any way a personal attack? None of us know what the people writing the news are like. Our problem is with the way the news is being delivered on GB now, not the people delivering it.
#26 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

This thread is surprisingly civil so I'll tiptoe out before I knock over a vase. Totally agree though.

#27 Posted by ajamafalous (11849 posts) -

I agree 100%.

#28 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -
@528seven said:
"Also, that thing that some posts have now that says "What do you think about this story? Do you approve of such-and-such? Talk about it in the comments!" Is reeeeealllly weird. "
Oh yeah, I hate that too lol. That's something that you would see in a blog post, not a news story. 

@ShiftyMagician said:
"I read the article on Pokemon, and for the most part I didn't expect to see it written in that way, as the last thing I wanted to read about was how much the writer loved pokemon.  If the writer knows his history isn't something that is unique to the experience of others, just don't write it in, as it turns a news article into a filler article real easily.  "
Agreed. The Pokemon article is what did it for me too. After reading that and the way it was written it made me kinda stop and think about where GB is heading.
#29 Posted by President_Barackbar (3434 posts) -

I would love to see someone pose this as a question to the GB crew, perhaps for the next Bombcast. I'm really interested as to what the guys have to say and how Jeff himself would respond to the site taking news in pretty much the opposite direction it was intended.

#30 Posted by JoblessTerence (349 posts) -

I agree. They should stop posting fluff stories and focus more on... well, stuff that people actually care about. I mean come on, a story about Rare's new logo? You have to be joking. I know I'm going to be coming off as a "fan boy" or whatever, but the new direction is bearing a resemblance to what other gaming sites look like, the exact opposite of what Gerstmann intended. But hey, that's just me.

#31 Posted by TorgoGrooves89 (346 posts) -

I don't mind the additional news stories too much, but i do miss them being written by the original crew. Matt and Brad are fine, but i don't want them to be writing every single news item.
#32 Posted by Sadisticham (278 posts) -

Yup if i wanted a ton of articles on such important things as "GH Announced" (surprising that!) I'd probably go to kotaku or joystiq because they love posting a ton of articles on rubbish that i don't care about. I prefered the slower pace here, not a fan of seeing news on here that I've seen on other sites long before.

#33 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@MB said:
" I like the idea of having additional writers work on news stories, and I believe that they will come into their own in time and everything will balance out nicely. They'll figure it out guys, relax. "
Exactly. Everyone hating on New Brad just needs to give him some time. Sheesh. 

#34 Posted by tane (31 posts) -
@Mattalorian said:
" (...) but all the new content seems to be 360 degrees(...) "
That would make it the exact same position ;) 

On topic; I have also been looking around here since the site was being created, and I think the news section should be big. Maybe even bigger. I don't mind having lots of different news, and if something lacks interest I just scroll further down the page.
#35 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

ok guys guys get this: if jeff or ryan doesn't like the way that brad and mike are posting stories, they can obviously stop it

or did I just blow your mind, because geez.

#36 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

Said this earlier today in This thread. 

Alot of the news stories are good,
But the ones that are not news at all, Just "interesting" crap, Or unsubstantiated rumor really shouldn't be posted as "News"
There is nothing stopping the new guys from posting these types of stories as a regular forum post, Which is where they should be. 

#37 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

I hate it when people force me to read things I don't care about.  

I was forced into reading the novelization of Sex and the City 2 the other day. 

#38 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@odintal said:

" I hate it when people force me to read things I don't care about.   I was forced into reading the novelization of Sex and the City 2 the other day.  "

You poor, poor bastard

Can you still see?
God I hope there were no pictures of that awful snobby horse
#39 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -
@Coombs: i'd feed her a carrot and let her lick my sugar cubes .  
#40 Posted by ClaritySam (594 posts) -
@odintal said:
" @Coombs: i'd feed her a carrot and let her lick my sugar cubes .   "
You must be truly desperate lol.  I heard both Carrie and the blonde slutty one have to eat a pair of human testicles everyday, otherwise their faces get too leathery and slide right off their skulls......
#41 Edited by Mattalorian (594 posts) -
@tane: Huh, no idea what I was thinking - I should probably stay off the forums at 2:00 AM, eh?
#42 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@Sadisticham said:
" Yup if i wanted a ton of articles on such important things as "GH Announced" (surprising that!) I'd probably go to kotaku or joystiq because they love posting a ton of articles on rubbish that i don't care about. I prefered the slower pace here, not a fan of seeing news on here that I've seen on other sites long before. "
thats the whole point isnt it? you shouldnt have to go to another site. It's easy to forget that this is still a business, because the staff here is more personal than on most sites, but they still need to get paid, the site still needs hits, not to send people to other sites.
#43 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -

people need to shut the fuck up about this 
i dont need these threads flooding the boards

#44 Posted by Forcen (1804 posts) -

I like having more news post on the site these days, i havent encountered any problems with the texts themselves. I can see why you need some extra writers to cope with all E3 news.

What i don't like is that the blog has gotten a more narrow shape, i loved that the texts used to be as wide as the browser window but now its the same wasted space on the sides of the text like every other blog.

#45 Posted by FakePlasticTree (449 posts) -

This again huh? Businesses need to make changes in order to survive. At the heart of it all, Giant Bomb is a business first. If you dislike it so much stop giving them your traffic.

#46 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

I want shrimp...fuck hot pockets. 

#47 Posted by Virago (2486 posts) -

I can't look at it without a sensory overload. 

#48 Edited by Blair (2500 posts) -

I totally agree with the OP.  I've been here since day one and I remember that same edict.  'We will only post things that are relevant and matter' was the way it was phrased in the early days of Giant Bomb.  Now things are different.  

I'm fine with change but it just feels like a cluster fuck of new (and sometimes irrelevant) information.  What's more, is that this new style of posting 'quantity over quality' doesn't correspond with the homepage layout of Giant Bomb.  The news portion of the site is constructed in a way that is best suited for low quantities of meaningful information.

I would much rather have news and stories being posted by the original four about pertinent topics.  I can deal with it, this isn't tearing me apart or anything, but it would be nice to go back to the old format.

#49 Posted by damnboyadvance (4059 posts) -

Additional writers for the site is a good thing, if done right. The problem I see is that it is a bit harder to find articles written by other staff members. Now, Matt and Brad aren't bad writers, but it's nice to see other people writing articles as well.

I also agree that there have been some articles put out that not many people here would care for. Maybe Giant Bomb is trying to expand their audience. But it doesn't get much bigger than it already is. So there are basically too many articles being put out, and maybe the work isn't being put where it should be. I'm sure that the crew will figure things out eventually, after listening to the community. For now, we should just let things go as they are.

#50 Edited by MattyFTM (14342 posts) -

I'm not the biggest fan of some of the coverage (for example the rare logo change, or the Halo: Combat evolved name article. I don't really consider either notable news. And some of the rumour stuff isn't my thing either. Does it really effect me that Natal might be getting a rename?) but a lot of it is good, and I can just ignore the bits that I'm not interested in.

Plus they've just started taking this approach to news, so there is plenty of time for them to tweak & improve the way they are covering this stuff. I'm sure they're listening to the criticisms that they are getting, and will be editing the style to be more in line with what people are hoping for.