Anyone else not dig the new GB news style?

• 101 results
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By ISuperGamerI

Did you bother searching for similar topics? There are a billion topics about this and honestly, I don't care as long as GB and the regular staff stay the same.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Scooper
@TripMasterMunky: I agree with you 100%. Very well worded thread. You've wrote a calm and collected critique and it's exactaly as I feel too. You're still going to get shouted at for having an opinion, though. But that's how it goes.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By Skytylz
@sixghost said:
"

If there was some way to filter the news articles based on who posted it, I would have absolutely no problem with this. My problem with it is just that It's so hard to find the news articles written by Jeff, Brad or Ryan now.

Also, I hate to say it, but I probably would be more open to the increased news flow if the articles weren't just grabbed from other game blogs, reworded and posted 3 hours later than the competition. I would love it if they brought in some guys to start writing opinion pieces.

"
You have something against Vinny?
Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
@sixghost said:
"

My problem with it is just that It's so hard to find the news articles written by Jeff, Brad or Ryan now.

"
Hint: There are none.
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By EVO

Wait a minute. People come to Giant Bomb for news?

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By sixghost
@Skytylz said:

" @sixghost said:

"

If there was some way to filter the news articles based on who posted it, I would have absolutely no problem with this. My problem with it is just that It's so hard to find the news articles written by Jeff, Brad or Ryan now.

Also, I hate to say it, but I probably would be more open to the increased news flow if the articles weren't just grabbed from other game blogs, reworded and posted 3 hours later than the competition. I would love it if they brought in some guys to start writing opinion pieces.

"
You have something against Vinny? "
He doesn't write many articles.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57  Edited By Gizmo

The quality of writing is fine, the 'news' that they report on is useless crap I don't need to know most of the time. I mean, seriously, The Mummy web browser game?

Sinkwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By Sinkwater

I come here for the videos and the Bombcast, not the articles (except the reviews)

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#59  Edited By Vorbis

It's fine, the only people who dislike it are the ones who still visit Kotaku/Joystiq and can stand the idiots in their comments. I've stopped going to those sites since GB now covers most things and I can read the comments here without despairing for the human race.

And if you think they are allowed to post anything without someones OK first then you're in for a suprise. Since most articles are reaching 50+ I would say alot of people think they are worth reading, even Tested are looking to do the same. Not to mention it gives the crew more time to work on other stuff.

Although I do agree about the Mummy MMO, wrong demographic there.

krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By krystians
@btman said:
" I agree.  I don't like how much crappy news there is.  I DON'T care about a Mummy MMO... I don't think anyone does. "
You may not find it important, which is why as a human you have the right to skip that story. There is probably lots of people who are interested in such stories. As for the original poster, you have to remember that as the amount of users increases so will the amount of stories covered. GB needs to cater to all it's users, or those users will go to other website that offer those stores. So tell me now, would you as GB report the stuff you "think" as important or everything? Like Mcdonalds does not just sell Big macs cause they are popular, they also sell the fish burgers.  
Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
@Sinkwater said:
" I come here for the videos and the Bombcast, not the articles (except the reviews) "
Then it makes no difference to you.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By MysteriousBob

As I've made clear in other threads- I strongly agree. 

I also want to make it clear that despite my earlier aggression- I in no way hate new Brad. I just don't like what he's doing on the site.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Jimbo

Two people is probably one too many for just paraphrasing news stories from other sites, hence the 'scraping the barrel' feel to some of the news stories.  They aren't doing anything wrong and no animosity towards them is justified at all; they've just both been given the same task to do (and I imagine that task is shitty enough at the best of times).

Woulda been better off with a news guy and a PC coverage guy, imo.  The platform accounts for a decent proportion of the userbase (judging by the number of white names I see around and the polls that come up from time to time - it would be interesting to see a breakdown of 'Site Usage by Platform Preference'), yet is still virtually unrepresented if Dave isn't around.  If you could clone Dave that would be ideal, but failing that I think adding another guy that could offer a different opinion and some extra content would have been better than doubling up on news guys.

Edit:  Forgot to mention that freeing up Jeff, Ryan and Brad's time has to be the real benefit here, which I'm sure will pay off over E3.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By Supermarius
@ShiftyMagician said:
" This will take a while, but I am going to take a guess and say that Brad and Matt are both new in the Game Journalism business in the sense that they do not have the knowledge and strong opinions of games that the others in this site have.  I read the article on Pokemon, and for the most part I didn't expect to see it written in that way, as the last thing I wanted to read about was how much the writer loved pokemon.  If the writer knows his history isn't something that is unique to the experience of others, just don't write it in, as it turns a news article into a filler article real easily.  I hope that with more experience, the new writers find their way and start to make more intelligent and meaningful posts, instead of trying to forcefully connect with the crowd.  This isn't necessary as I see this everywhere now.  The need to reference the readers so directly, the need to talk about your childhood memories etc.  I should only see this stuff in blogs, not news articles. "

The thing is, if they are new and not yet good writers, why the heck are they working here?
Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Bluethunder35

I don't have a problem with the new guys. At least they aren't like the morons at 1up.com. Nothing like reading meaningless crud  filled with bias from egotistical interns  followed by a bunch of horny teenagers who can't spell, a 43 year-old unemployed man and those losers selling stuff from a sweatshop chiming in. 

Of course, what did you expect out of Sam Kennedy, who under his watch ran a website where he encouraged hatred, online circle jerks and elitism and then lost much of his audience when he told them he wasn't going to tolerate it any longer? Unless you're a regular blogger or something.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#66  Edited By Vorbis
@Supermarius said:
" @ShiftyMagician said:
" This will take a while, but I am going to take a guess and say that Brad and Matt are both new in the Game Journalism business in the sense that they do not have the knowledge and strong opinions of games that the others in this site have.  I read the article on Pokemon, and for the most part I didn't expect to see it written in that way, as the last thing I wanted to read about was how much the writer loved pokemon.  If the writer knows his history isn't something that is unique to the experience of others, just don't write it in, as it turns a news article into a filler article real easily.  I hope that with more experience, the new writers find their way and start to make more intelligent and meaningful posts, instead of trying to forcefully connect with the crowd.  This isn't necessary as I see this everywhere now.  The need to reference the readers so directly, the need to talk about your childhood memories etc.  I should only see this stuff in blogs, not news articles. "
The thing is, if they are new and not yet good writers, why the heck are they working here? "
Brad is definitly not new to games journalism. 

Matt however is an intern and he was a member of GB long before he got into this, so give him a break.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#67  Edited By sweep  Moderator

As I said in the other thread:  Post too much and people complain it's convoluted by stories which aren't important. Don't post enough and people complain the site is boring with not enough content. If you don't want to read this stuff then don't read it. At least if it's there then you have the option. 

"It's the same principle as a condom: Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

I personally can't believe people are sitting here and asking for less news. You ungrateful bastards. Don't listen to them Brad!
EasyPeasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By EasyPeasey

I dig it. It's not like it's Jeff or Ryan writing these, its freelancers and interns. The means the main crew is free to review games and do quick looks. If you don't like the articles just ignore them and stop bitching.

SleepyDoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SleepyDoughnut

I agree that a quality over quantity approach would be better. They should only be reporting news that is important and relevant to their audience. Now, deciding what is important news, thats where it gets tricky. But i can tell you with a lot of confidence that stories on a free to play Mummy MMO or a logo change by Rare are not important news.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By CL60

They report on video game news. Get over it and stop complaining. Why would you all compalin that they reported on a Mummy MMO being announced...seriously? It's a video game. So they made an article about it.. they are here for making news articles...about video games.....on a video game site.

I'm pretty sure you are all mad because this sites users just loves to kiss the asses of the original staff, but then new guys come in and report the news instead of the other guys, and you all don't know what to do anymore.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71  Edited By shiftymagician

@Supermarius said:

The thing is, if they are new and not yet good writers, why the heck are they working here? "

Well this is easy to answer.  Since this isn't as well established a site like other sites that have been around for longer, it does not have the world-wide pull to demand a higher quality of service than others.  Sure, this site ends up better in my opinion than most gaming sites in general, but this site needs to get older and have more content that is good before Giant Bomb can start to attract writers of a higher calibur.  Mind you I am not a fan of this weird standard of "Since it's new don't give it a chance" by people in general in industries, but hey I'm not the one with the pull to change this way of thinking any time soon.

@Vorbis said:
Brad is definitly not new to games journalism.   Matt however is an intern and he was a member of GB long before he got into this, so give him a break. "
Oh interesting.  Thanks for that clarification.  However that kind of worries me that Brad is more experienced than we thought, and still writes articles in a cheesy way.  Again, there is plenty of time for both of them to get used to writing the usual stories in a more original way.  Good luck to them and hoping they do well for the future of this site.
Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Virago

let's go new styles for the lulz!

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Dany

Didn't we go over this yesterday :)

Anyways, I think it is good for them to expand because they need to in order to cover video game news effectively.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Supermarius
@ShiftyMagician said:
"
@Supermarius said:

Well this is easy to answer.  Since this isn't as well established a site like other sites that have been around for longer, it does not have the world-wide pull to demand a higher quality of service than others.  Sure, this site ends up better in my opinion than most gaming sites in general, but this site needs to get older and have more content that is good before Giant Bomb can start to attract writers of a higher calibur.  Mind you I am not a fan of this weird standard of "Since it's new don't give it a chance" by people in general in industries, but hey I'm not the one with the pull to change this way of thinking any time soon.

@Vorbis said:
Brad is definitly not new to games journalism.   Matt however is an intern and he was a member of GB long before he got into this, so give him a break. "
Oh interesting.  Thanks for that clarification.  However that kind of worries me that Brad is more experienced than we thought, and still writes articles in a cheesy way.  Again, there is plenty of time for both of them to get used to writing the usual stories in a more original way.  Good luck to them and hoping they do well for the future of this site. "
Hmm, well probably they want more writers, but they cant bloat the payroll too much or they risk becoming too big to operate in the manner they currently do. You would have to pay top writers top dollar. People who are their friends like Alex Navarro are great writers, but may have accepted slightly less money because they knew they were going to get to work at a cool place. Being intentionally sassy though is a blog writing style. I think its silly, but some people like it.
WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#75  Edited By WickedCobra03
@CoolDrMoney said:
" Yeah, I preferred the limited flow of quality written material from the familiar faces. Brace yourself for the pitchforks wielded by the "you're afraid of change" and "complaint hypocrite" crowd. "
I liked the 4+2 thing they had going.  I mean I know they are going to expand.  It is almost unsustainable for them to have only 4 people handling the coverage and 2 back end people.  But like said earlier too, I like the familiar faces and just a few people.
williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By williamhenry
@Rhaknar said:
" @Sadisticham said:
" Yup if i wanted a ton of articles on such important things as "GH Announced" (surprising that!) I'd probably go to kotaku or joystiq because they love posting a ton of articles on rubbish that i don't care about. I prefered the slower pace here, not a fan of seeing news on here that I've seen on other sites long before. "
thats the whole point isnt it? you shouldnt have to go to another site. It's easy to forget that this is still a business, because the staff here is more personal than on most sites, but they still need to get paid, the site still needs hits, not to send people to other sites. "
He was saying that he doesn't want to read stories about that stuff which is why he liked the old news style. It would be great in theory to get all the news here but if most of the new stuff is being posted up to a day after other sites, does it really need to be posted?

I agree with everything already said. I don't have a problem with the new guys and I think they will fit in nicely eventually, they just need some quality control over what they post. We don't need a news post for every single little bit of info that gets released. Quality over quantity should always be the motto. Its gotten to the point that I look to see who the author of the post is first before reading any of it, and if its done by one of the new guys, I close it immediately.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By CL60
@DivineCC said:
" @Rhaknar said:
" @Sadisticham said:
" Yup if i wanted a ton of articles on such important things as "GH Announced" (surprising that!) I'd probably go to kotaku or joystiq because they love posting a ton of articles on rubbish that i don't care about. I prefered the slower pace here, not a fan of seeing news on here that I've seen on other sites long before. "
thats the whole point isnt it? you shouldnt have to go to another site. It's easy to forget that this is still a business, because the staff here is more personal than on most sites, but they still need to get paid, the site still needs hits, not to send people to other sites. "
He was saying that he doesn't want to read stories about that stuff which is why he liked the old news style. It would be great in theory to get all the news here but if most of the new stuff is being posted up to a day after other sites, does it really need to be posted? I agree with everything already said. I don't have a problem with the new guys and I think they will fit in nicely eventually, they just need some quality control over what they post. We don't need a news post for every single little bit of info that gets released. Quality over quantity should always be the motto. Its gotten to the point that I look to see who the author of the post is first before reading any of it, and if its done by one of the new guys, I close it immediately. "
I never visit any other sites, so it's nice to have the news.
ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ShaunassNZ

I prefer the limited stuff, Kotaku and Dtoid are the places I go for that news. But I do love how Brad Nicholson is here.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#79  Edited By Claude

Damn, I thought I posted in this thread, guess it was another one. 

It's all good. Love it. The more the merrier. It means Giant Bomb and Whiskey Media are healthy and growing. Let the growing pains begin. I'll start.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a5cc20e5213
deactivated-59a5cc20e5213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me this site is about Quick Looks and the Bombcast, not day old gaming news. These news guys should write some original articles to bring more traffic to the site instead of copying other sites news. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only news I want to hear is either a two minute discussion on the Bombcast (so Nolan Bushnell is back at Atari... pizza parties!) or a full fledged article where the staff member in question gives what amounts to useful knowledge from someone who knows.  When Jeff talks about how he feels that a business decision or an E3 rumor will play out, it has credibility because the guy has been covering this industry forever and knows how it usually goes.  When the new Brad is shamelessly reposting rumors from other sites, it's tantamount to just asking for pageviews and hoping a fight starts in the comments.

I want to see news where my game journalists of choice (the Giant Bomb crew) use their knowledge and personality to deliver news, and give their thoughts on it in their unique way.  When it's just "here's a new game, there are rumors it could have hamburgers in it, what do you think" it's so Goddamn annoying that it makes me want to skip the news.

Avatar image for holdontoyourasses
HoldOnToYourAsses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I agree,but a lot of people visit giantbomb exclusively so they MUST change :(

dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By dfsvegas

Since destructoid and kotaku are both awful now, I like the fact that I can make this my one stop shop for news. I pretty much only came here for Quick looks until recently.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#84  Edited By Claude
@BergDK said:
"

To me this site is about Quick Looks and the Bombcast, not day old gaming news. These news guys should write some original articles to bring more traffic to the site instead of copying other sites news. 

"
Well see, I disagree. I've seen the new guys post stuff before the other sites and believe me, I'm looking or clicking.
Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Detrian

I honestly doubt anyone gives a fuck about 90% of the news and people just read some that interest them here and there.  This is why I think all the news suck cause they ARE cluttering up the frontpage and also why I recommended in the suggestion thread to have one column with news and a separate one with the regular giantbomb videos which I think are still the site's main draw.

Besides, the news guys are never on the ball and repost hilariously old shit. Where are the news of Thief 4 and it's retarded name? Anyone? No? Thought as much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@MB said:
" I like the idea of having additional writers work on news stories, and I believe that they will come into their own in time and everything will balance out nicely. They'll figure it out guys, relax. "
I enjoy and share your optimism.
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Synthballs

I like it. 

They say they will only cover the news that matters, well, different things matter to different people so they can't really be too picky...I don't care if a lot of it is speculation, it's something to read when the forums are having an off day.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#88  Edited By ManMadeGod

If you don't like the articles don't read them, but why wish for them to be gone? There was not enough news content on this site before. Sorry, but you can't be a major gaming website if you don't have any news stories. It's a good thing that the site is growing. Most of the people in here admit that they go to other sites to get their news: that's the point, you shouldn't need to do that. Sorry to tell you but Giantbomb needs to be more than just quick looks.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ManMadeGod:  It would be different if they were actually breaking news or writing original stories, but as it stands we're getting stories a lot later then dedicated news blogs with little personality injected into them.
DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#90  Edited By DrRandle

IGN mostly posts a few dozen stories on a given (decent) day. Giant bomb posts maybe 10. I enjoy my news through a Giant Bomb filter, and more news is not a bad thing. Even if you don't like it, it's not like you have to read it. I don't get why this is being made into an issue other than the fact that gamers are scared of change.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Rowr

bah your wrong.

The new news style is great. It's good to see some new information up on the site more often and the stories are written in a very personable and entertaining way as fitting of the feel of GB.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By carlthenimrod

I like new Brad and Matt. People are complaining about the lack of compelling news stories, but it's two weeks before E3, so of course there is not a whole lot going on at the moment. 

Also, just because you don't find something interesting or newsworthy doesn't mean everybody else won't. If it doesn't interest you, then don't read it. Crisis adverted.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Brodehouse said:

"When it's just "here's a new game, there are rumors it could have hamburgers in it, what do you think" it's so Goddamn annoying that it makes me want to skip the news. "

Here's the thing: You can skip the news. A truly mind-blowing concept, isn't it? I only read news items that I find interesting, which is about one of twenty.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atomic_dumpling said:
Here's the thing: You can skip the news. A truly mind-blowing concept, isn't it? I only read news items that I find interesting, which is about one of twenty. "
I don't want to skip the news on my favorite video game website.  I'd prefer it if Giant Bomb stayed at a quality higher than Kotaku or Dtoid.  These are completely valid concerns.
darkwhitehair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By darkwhitehair

If there aren't any relevant gaming news, then people shouldn't be posting stories about them. It doesn't matter that "Black Ops have a different kind of co-op" if you don't know what that different kind of co-op is. It's not relevant that "Mass Effect 3 will have humor" if you haven't even played Mass Effect 3. Articles like these are dime a dozen on the internet, if you really crave posts like this then Kotaku is a great place to go. 

What Giantbomb does best is opinion, we have a sense of a writer's gaming taste, and so we know that when they write an editorial that it is relevant and poignant. New Brad is bringing in his bad habits from Destructoid, where editorials are along the lines of "Why Prototype is Blantantly better than Infamous". It's understandable that this site needs more written content more regularly, but that can be done without sacrificing the quality of the articles. 

And I'm not saying that "if you want news stories get out of Giantbomb!", I'm saying that there are blogs out there who do a better job at writing news more regularly. And I would have more editorials and opinions on Giantbomb that more news articles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rejj said:
" Irrespective of the content or volume of the recent batch of stories that have been posted, I really don't like the voice being used. Failed attempts at humour degrade from the entire article, and in the short time the new guys have been posting a clear template for their articles has already been established:  Headline Brief comment Bad attempt at wit "what do you guys think?" "
I agree with this.

I understand there are slow news weeks, but that doesn't mean you resort to posting some BS. It means you create more thought-out articles. Articles. Not a few paragraphs that can be summed up in a headline.

People follow that above outline too much. "New GH annoucned!" There you go. That's all you need to do. Why create an entire news article devoted to it? So you can attempt to add your wit?
vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Yeah, I already have my gaming-news sites I visit. I go to Giant Bomb for reviews, videos and the Bombcast. Hate that it's turning into Kotaku.

Joker_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Joker_777

I don't see why you should complain about more content. For me, it just gives me more of a reason to visit this site everyday. You don't have to read it and if you're not interested in it, chances are, someone else is.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#99  Edited By Brackynews

I'm just reading the stories that interest me and skipping the rest. Like I do on any site. Now there are more, that's important to some people, and those people draw advertisers.
Whiskey Media isn't some mom & pop startup. Those folks are players (and I don't mean games). They know how to get eyes on sites.
It was neat reading every single story a year ago, that's because I like how the guys write.  But if they're spending all their time writing funny articles, there's a lot of other content-rich stuff they can't be doing. And there's games to be played, son.

nikotinexero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By nikotinexero

If you don't want to read the articles, dont read them. Whiskey Media and the GB crew can do what they want with the site, they own it, no one is forcing anyone to read the new stuff.  Just skip over it and enjoy the rest of the site, which remains unchanged, with more content since the main crew is freed up from editorial.