Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

using real games now? Like, for the longest time, they would make some cheesy ass thing, then throw it on a screen with like, the worst sound effects ever. Or, even worse, they take a game and put the same horrible sound effects over the game. It always pissed me off, just like the whole stereotypical computer hacking shit they do in all those investigative TV shows. Thoughts, opinion, etc? I'm bored, and just curious how people generally feel about how nerd stuff is portrayed in the media. And yeah, I'm sure this topic exists somewhere else, but I can't find it with a quick look so whatever =p
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ververdan0226

I like how Activision made a big deal about Prototype being on Entourage, and then all that happened was that it was being played by Drama in the background for all of 30 seconds without even a mention of the name.

Though I did really like the way that they integrated Shadow of the Colossus into Reign Over Me.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By RHCPfan24
@ververdan0226 said:
" I like how Activision made a big deal about Prototype being on Entourage, and then all that happened was that it was being played by Drama in the background for all of 30 seconds without even a mention of the name.  Though I did really like the way that they integrated Shadow of the Colossus into Reign Over Me. "
I saw that episode, yeah. They didn't mention it but it sure got a good amount of screen time. Vincent (that's his name right?) was talking to someone but he was really playing it and showing a lot of stuff going on. But yes, a name of the game would have helped. 

I do like the trend of more games in movies, TV shows, etc. Even in The Wrestler when the kid mentioned Call of Duty 4 made me laugh.
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@ververdan0226:
Yeah, but it is kind of a big deal that finally games are actually getting into those things. It's never really a big deal in the shows, but it's a great deal better then just putting some lame pre-rendered thing that looks worse then any game I've ever seen on a screen, why not just get the real thing, so much easier.

Also I would have to agree on that point.
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@RHCPfan24 said:
" @ververdan0226 said:
" I like how Activision made a big deal about Prototype being on Entourage, and then all that happened was that it was being played by Drama in the background for all of 30 seconds without even a mention of the name.  Though I did really like the way that they integrated Shadow of the Colossus into Reign Over Me. "
I saw that episode, yeah. They didn't mention it but it sure got a good amount of screen time. Vincent (that's his name right?) was talking to someone but he was really playing it and showing a lot of stuff going on. But yes, a name of the game would have helped.   I do like the trend of more games in movies, TV shows, etc. Even in The Wrestler when the kid mentioned Call of Duty 4 made me laugh. "

lol. Yeah, it's kind of refreshing to see something that doesn't make video games look stupid xD Like, god, NCIS had this episode all about some MMO thing, oh my god, if that was what I thought video games were I would probably be all for ol' Jacky T. Not cause it was too mature, but because it was so stupid.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ninjakiller

Generational shift in Hollywood.  The younger generation that grew up gaming and respects gaming are now becoming producers and directors and know that the cheesey shit just doesn't cut it.

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By onyxghost

Live free die hard, gears of war. The game is shown full screen for several shots then the players are blown up....great.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By regularassmilk

I know man.
Its getting a little better, but yesterday I was watching some newer movie, and he was playing a 360, with Atari 2600 sound effects. 
and on the screen was something like, Gears or something.
I hate that shit.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@ninjakiller said:
"Generational shift in Hollywood.  The younger generation that grew up gaming and respects gaming are now becoming producers and directors and know that the cheesey shit just doesn't cut it. "

Hadn't Really thought of that, makes a lot of sense. 

@regularassmilk
said:

"I know man. Its getting a little better, but yesterday I was watching some newer movie, and he was playing a 360, with Atari 2600 sound effects.  and on the screen was something like, Gears or something.I hate that shit. "

Lmao, nice xD That is so fuckin pathetic. I would really love to know why that is, why do they go over the sound effects? I noticed the same thing in Big Bang Theory, they had Halo 3 on the screen but all of the sound effects sounded totally bullshit. Generic library sounds lol.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By penguindust

It's kind of the reason why this thread is stickied in the General forum.  Video Game Appearances In Film - A Community Compilation Project

I was flicking around last night and I noticed that in Agent Cody Banks, there is Warcraft III playing on Frankie Muniz's computer.    

If I have a gripe about how games are portrayed in movies and TV it isn't the games themselves, but the way "actors" play them.  No matter what the game, the majority of actors pretend to play games as if they are all joystick intense button mashers.  Because their recollection of games are stuck in the 80s, many assume that to look like they are playing games they need to beat up their controller.   Some movies are getting better at that.  Maybe it's because their actors actually play games and know that most games are played without the exaggerated contortions too often used to demonstrate gaming.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@PenguinDust said:
"It's kind of the reason why this thread is stickied in the General forum.  Video Game Appearances In Film - A Community Compilation Project

I was flicking around last night and I noticed that in Agent Cody Banks, there is Warcraft III playing on Frankie Muniz's computer.      If I have a gripe about how games are portrayed in movies and TV it isn't the games themselves, but the way "actors" play them.  No matter what the game, the majority of actors pretend to play games as if they are all joystick intense button mashers.  Because their recollection of games are stuck in the 80s, many assume that to look like they are playing games they need to beat up their controller.   Some movies are getting better at that.  Maybe it's because their actors actually play games and know that most games are played without the exaggerated contortions too often used to demonstrate gaming. "

Yeah, that is true. That does bug me, but I am willing to bet that is because they aren't legeally allowed to PLAY the game live, they have to use a video of the game provided by the publisher, and then have to pretend to play the game. That at least makes it somewhat difficult to tell if the button presses are doing anything when a non-gamer watches it. When a gamer watches it though it looks rediculous.
Thwackers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Thwackers

When a TV  has a real game in it, usually the Distributor is paying the TV show to have it in .  Productplacement, as with any thing like this, it can get very political for both parties. The pros for the TV producers is that they dont have to go out and make a fake game for 10 seconds of screentime. And usually they are used once. 

I created a fake game with the Unreal engine by using models and levels created by students. 

www.thwackers.tv

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By AgentJ

Don't know if it is really a good thing, since it shows they are getting more and more susceptible to product placement (which more often than not interferes with the original vision of the show) but I guess it works toward making gaming more mainstream.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

"Real" games like Guitar Hero III in Heroes. I was glad that bitch got murdered in the first episode of this season.

/vodka

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By AndrewB
@AgentJ said:
" Don't know if it is really a good thing, since it shows they are getting more and more susceptible to product placement (which more often than not interferes with the original vision of the show) but I guess it works toward making gaming more mainstream. "
Yeah, in many cases, if all of the sound effects and images are intact (and especially if they flash a big ole' logo or mention the game's full name multiple times), it seems more like a product placement. A bunch of episodes of House have him playing various console games, mostly PSP games, it seems. In that case, it's not really intrusive, but it does get on my nerves slightly to think that they probably got paid to put specific titles in.

But to the OP, I don't think it's over, just yet. I still see plenty of shows where they'll have a real game being played with either the wrong hardware (example: an N64 game being played with a Playstation controller) or put stupid, cheesy sound effects that came out of the 70's over everything. Or, worst of all, the people will be flailing around, shaking the controller while jamming on buttons like madmen. It's still very rare for me to see an accurate portrayal of gaming in television and movies.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#16  Edited By AgentJ
@AndrewB said:
" @AgentJ said:
" Don't know if it is really a good thing, since it shows they are getting more and more susceptible to product placement (which more often than not interferes with the original vision of the show) but I guess it works toward making gaming more mainstream. "
Yeah, in many cases, if all of the sound effects and images are intact (and especially if they flash a big ole' logo or mention the game's full name multiple times), it seems more like a product placement. A bunch of episodes of House have him playing various console games, mostly PSP games, it seems. In that case, it's not really intrusive, but it does get on my nerves slightly to think that they probably got paid to put specific titles in.  But to the OP, I don't think it's over, just yet. I still see plenty of shows where they'll have a real game being played with either the wrong hardware (example: an N64 game being played with a Playstation controller) or put stupid, cheesy sound effects that came out of the 70's over everything. Or, worst of all, the people will be flailing around, shaking the controller while jamming on buttons like madmen. It's still very rare for me to see an accurate portrayal of gaming in television and movies. "
huh, I always thought House played his gameboy and DS more often... guess it doesn't really matter anyway. 
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By AndrewB
@AgentJ said:
"huh, I always thought House played his gameboy and DS more often... guess it doesn't really matter anyway.  "
 I seem to remember more PSP moments. The actual game names escape me at the moment, though... but you're right, it doesn't matter.
Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Smarter_Martyr

It's called product placement.

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By SBYM

Tina Fey touched a copy of Bioshock in an episode of 30 Rock. That's pretty sweet, I guess.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

while, yes i have noticed that shows and movies are starting to have real video games instead of fake ones with like a 360 controller and old video game sounds.

i remember back in the day there use to be a old commercial on G4. this was back when G4 use to be about video games. there was a add for some college for video game design.  u see two guys playing with like a ps2 controller shacking around. the sounds of like galaga or something. a lady comes in with a voice over says hey what are u doing? we are tightening up the graphics. they say other funny things but thats all i remember.

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By SBYM
@iam3green said:

" while, yes i have noticed that shows and movies are starting to have real video games instead of fake ones with like a 360 controller and old video game sounds.  i remember back in the day there use to be a old commercial on G4. this was back when G4 use to be about video games. there was a add for some college for video game design.  u see two guys playing with like a ps2 controller shacking around. the sounds of like galaga or something. a lady comes in with a voice over says hey what are u doing? we are tightening up the graphics. they say other funny things but thats all i remember. "

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Yes I hate it when they are like playing X360 and there's like space invaders sound FX in the background. But yea it was funny seeing Postal 2 in that Black eyed peas song about gangs or something but it was like everyone playing it (curse you Gary Coleman!).

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iam3green
@SBYM: lol yes, i think that is one of them. good times of watching horrible commercials that try to get people into doing something.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By ArchScabby

Are you sure?  Because I was just watching Dexter and he was playing Halo 3 on a PC, using only the keyboard without a mouse, and it had no Halo soundeffects.

Bald3rdash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bald3rdash
@MrKlorox said:
" "Real" games like Guitar Hero III in Heroes. I was glad that bitch got murdered in the first episode of this season.  /vodka "
Oh god yes, that was so stupid...in fact, me watching Heroes was pretty stupid, but what can I say?  I was bored.  "I hear they'll have Guitar Hero 3 at the mixer.  Are you good at Guitar Hero 3?  I'm really good at Guitar Hero 3."  

Asinine.
Darniaq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Darniaq
@MordeaniisChaos said

lol. Yeah, it's kind of refreshing to see something that doesn't make video games look stupid xD Like, god, NCIS had this episode all about some MMO thing, oh my god, if that was what I thought video games were I would probably be all for ol' Jacky T. Not cause it was too mature, but because it was so stupid. "

LOL yea that was on again recently. They couldn't even spend the money on good animations.  You'd think SOE woulda been all over trying to get EQ1 into it. The game being played was central to the plot.

Cheesefactor++ @Smarter_Martyr said:

" It's called product placement. "

In most cases, yep, but on the topic of that NCIS episode, it would have been product integration, when the advertised item was central to the story/plot.