#1 Posted by Cyrisaurus (455 posts) -

I always have to play the videos at max on audio on both the video player and my computer's main volume, and it's still not very loud.

I'm watching the Magic QL right now and I had to mute my TV to hear them, and in many other QLs I noticed I can hardly even hear the game being played.

I can put my headphones in and it's a lout louder, but I'd rather not each time.

I mean, it couldn't hurt for them to increase the volume, right? I'd rather have to turn the volume down if it's too loud then have it maxed out and still think it's quiet.

#2 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

I dont think its too quiet. I do think sometimes its hard to hear the video game over them talking.

#3 Posted by Mijati (922 posts) -

There's not a set level of audio volume for the quick looks. Some videos are much louder than others (which is a pain as I have a bunch downloaded and just dump them in a playlist). Other than the discrepancy between the volume level in quick looks I've never had an issue with hearing the audio in the videos.

#4 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5007 posts) -

Yeah, the older videos were louder than the recent ones.

#5 Posted by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

I think they're using new mics that are quieter but crisper. Just talking out my ass by the way I don't know for sure.

#6 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

They've been way too quiet for as long as I remember, had to crank it all the way up whenever I was watching the Deadly Premonition ER.

#7 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

Nope, when I watch with my headphones I have to turn it down.

#8 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

No, I think that evryting else is to loud.

#9 Posted by Clark (110 posts) -

They are quieter than anything else I play. On my tv I usually have to double the normal volume.

#10 Posted by Ares42 (2663 posts) -

Generally most videos (at full volume) comes out at about the same volume as everything else on my computer. Although the MTG one was a tad quieter than normal. I would recommend implementing a system where you have a master controller that's always at a low or medium level (allowing for big changes either way) and then adjusting everything else accordingly

#11 Posted by benpicko (2008 posts) -

Yeah, watching the DayZ video and it's really quiet.

#12 Posted by Dude_What (68 posts) -

It seems to be random, but yeah, a lot of the videos are too quiet. I frequently have to use headphones because full volume on my laptop speakers isn't loud enough.

#13 Edited by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

Okay so I was having a similar issue with the video sounding a lot quieter at max volume than other audio (ie winamp, media player, etc.). A friend suggested I change a windows setting and it's equalized the sound quiet well. Your own mileage may very but if you have a Windows machine this is worth a try:

1) Go to Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Sound

2) Click on your primary Playback Device (ie Speakers) and then click Properties down in the bottom right.

3) Click on the Enhancement Tab

4) Check Loudness Equalization and then Apply and OK.

Again, your mileage may vary but this seems to be working well for me so far. GB videos (and quite a number of YouTube ones) at max volume were often as quiet as playing Winamp at 1% volume, it was ridiculous. But since applying that loudness equalization the difference is much less significant.

#14 Edited by Village_Guy (2577 posts) -

Turn your audio up?

@PixelPrinny: I just tried that, and that really did a difference, thats actually pretty good.

#15 Posted by Spoonman671 (4635 posts) -

I find that their volume is too inconsistent.  Going from video to video sometimes requires a lot of volume adjustment.  Turned on Loudness Equalization recently, but I haven't watched enough videos to determine whether or not that's working.

#16 Posted by Stonyman65 (2704 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

Yeah, the older videos were louder than the recent ones.

Yeah. I'm having to turn my headphones up a bit louder than before. I think the volume on the Bombcast has gotten better though, but that could just be due to the higher production quality vs. when they where recording in a basement lol.

#17 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

Pardon?

#18 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2029 posts) -

Too quiet? I'd actually say GiantBomb is outspoken!

On topic, though -- I've never really had a problem with volume so it'd probably your sound hardware/sound settings. I do use over ear headphones, however.

#19 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Nope, no problems here.  
Sad to hear you have problems though

#20 Posted by falconpunch (178 posts) -

I agree, they are quiet compared to all the other videos i watch on the internet.

#21 Posted by natetodamax (19206 posts) -

I'm not having that problem. Even out of the iPad speakers I can hear the videos just fine. Try seeing if PixelPrinny's advice solves the issue.

#22 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1727 posts) -

Yeh, much quieter than any other videos I watch online. Weird!

#23 Posted by mak_wikus (524 posts) -

Trailers are the loudest. The quick looks are fine, but it seems that the live stuff need a volume bump.

#24 Posted by rawrsair (821 posts) -

I always have to max my volume (or near enough max it) so yeah, a tad quiet.

#25 Posted by Milkman (16789 posts) -

I did notice that Magic Quick Look was kind of quiet compared to other Quick Looks. 

#26 Posted by WarlordPayne (700 posts) -

They're much quieter than any other video I watch online, including trailers posted on this site, but not so quiet that it can't be solved by turning the volume up some.

#27 Posted by Metzo_Paino (318 posts) -

I think the speech to gameplay volume is just right. I'm never too interested in the gameplay volume actually, and if it's a game I'm interested in it helps because I may miss little things that I will hear when I play it myself.

#28 Posted by TheGorilla (230 posts) -

YOUR SPEAKERS ARE FUCKED.

#29 Edited by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -

Actually, almost all of the videos since the move (usually Quick Looks uploaded by Vinny) are quite a bit louder than they used to be. I've actually had to turn my volume down for a few. The ones uploaded by Drew on the other hand, tend to be close to the volume that they all used to be, which are/were on the quiet side. Current live streams can be a bit quiet as well.

It's not a major complaint, but it would be nice if they would standardize their video audio levels.

#30 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

I sent Drew a message about the volume of videos being a lot lower than everything else I play, but I never got a response. I have to turn up my speakers 50-100% to hear good then turn them down to 25% for everything else.

#31 Posted by Cyrisaurus (455 posts) -

@PixelPrinny said:

Okay so I was having a similar issue with the video sounding a lot quieter at max volume than other audio (ie winamp, media player, etc.). A friend suggested I change a windows setting and it's equalized the sound quiet well. Your own mileage may very but if you have a Windows machine this is worth a try:

1) Go to Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Sound

2) Click on your primary Playback Device (ie Speakers) and then click Properties down in the bottom right.

3) Click on the Enhancement Tab

4) Check Loudness Equalization and then Apply and OK.

Again, your mileage may vary but this seems to be working well for me so far. GB videos (and quite a number of YouTube ones) at max volume were often as quiet as playing Winamp at 1% volume, it was ridiculous. But since applying that loudness equalization the difference is much less significant.

This definitely helped! Thanks duder!

#32 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

I have to turn my laptop's volume up pretty much all the way, but it's on par with watching Netflix and Hulu.

#33 Posted by FinalDasa (1727 posts) -

The game audio can be from time to time. But they usually add subtitles so it's all good usually.

#34 Posted by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

I think their quiet compared to other videos although i rarely notice unless the guys have a loud reaction to something in the game such as the bear vs giant in the Skyrim QL. I also think it is sometimes very hard to hear the game over their commentary I know that's really what were their for but there are things like dialogue I'd like to hear.

#35 Edited by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@FinalDasa said:

The game audio can be from time to time. But they usually add subtitles so it's all good usually.

Usually the dialog is not the problem, I agree, sometimes though they will make a comment about the music, then proceed to talk. And the game volume being low makes it hard to hear what they are talking about.

#36 Posted by CaptainCharisma (339 posts) -

@Cyrisaurus said:

I always have to play the videos at max on audio on both the video player and my computer's main volume, and it's still not very loud.

I'm watching the Magic QL right now and I had to mute my TV to hear them, and in many other QLs I noticed I can hardly even hear the game being played.

I can put my headphones in and it's a lout louder, but I'd rather not each time.

I mean, it couldn't hurt for them to increase the volume, right? I'd rather have to turn the volume down if it's too loud then have it maxed out and still think it's quiet.

I am usually fine with the volume but the Magic quick look was especially quiet.

#37 Posted by FinalDasa (1727 posts) -

@Dagbiker: Agreed, it can be a pain. But more times than not it's okay.

#38 Posted by StarvingGamer (8237 posts) -

Yeah, I always have to turn my iPad volume to max and they still can be difficult to hear if there's anything else going on. If I want to watch them while simultaneously playing a game on my PC, I have to drop the game volume down to below 25% before a QL's audio comes into prominence.

#39 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I'm watching the Persona 4 Endurance Run on my iPad and yes I do, I often have to use headphones.