#1 Posted by Lashe (1263 posts) -

Earlier in the year when the PS4 / One were announced, I was pretty quick to jump on the pre-order bandwagon with Amazon. After a little deliberation though, I figured I'd just grab the console with no games and accumulate a digital collection over time; I'm sick of game boxes, discs and the clunkiness that comes with storing media. It's 2013. Anyone else feeling the same, or is retail still appealing to most?

#2 Posted by jimmyfenix (3859 posts) -

Both.

#3 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2406 posts) -

On consoles? Pffff fuck no. BOXED GAMES TILL I DIE.

#4 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Nope, no competition on digital pricing = PSN and Xbox Live will charge high prices for their games, as is the case right now.

I believe FIFA was £50 or something on PSN, as opposed to £34-37 boxed. (and the boxed price actually decreased a bit since then)

#5 Posted by BigJeffrey (5148 posts) -

Maybe

#6 Posted by believer258 (12105 posts) -

Well, PC will be my main system, so digital is pretty much necessary at this point.

I plan on getting a PS4 at some point, though, and for that I will stick with boxes. One thing I miss on PC is being able to pick up a box and open it up and put a disc in. It's such a tiny, tiny, insignificant thing, but I do miss it a little.

#7 Edited by Tajasaurus (938 posts) -

I like boxes.

#8 Posted by Vermisean (154 posts) -

I've always liked owning physical copies but even this year I have found myself buying digital on my PS3 for certain games. I think I will have a mixture, at least at the beginning. Downloading caps in my area are a push towards physical for me as well, but hopefully I switch up ISPs sometime in the near future to alleviate those nasty extra charges.

#9 Edited by Petiew (1355 posts) -

Not until they stop trying to rip us off with digital download prices in the UK. It should cost less to download, not £10 - £15 more than a boxed copy.

#10 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

One thing I miss on PC is being able to pick up a box and open it up and put a disc in. It's such a tiny, tiny, insignificant thing, but I do miss it a little.

See for me since I usually pre-order a game I know'll be good the thing is ready to play as soon as it unlocks.

That and my connection is so fast it only takes around 20 minutes to download a 16GB game, and most games aren't even near that.

#11 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (455 posts) -

I'm right there with you. Fuck discs.

#12 Posted by Corvak (1162 posts) -

Bit of both. Doubtful i'd go digital on Xbox One, 500GB is not much space. I use twice that now for Steam, and games are only going to get bigger. If the Xbox One gets affordably priced HDD upgrades, I may consider it, but not holding my breath after the Xbox 360 silliness.

If PS4 supports laptop size drives again, then I will be more likely to buy more digital games.

Both consoles need to take a more aggressive stance when it comes to sales. Steam, Gamersgate, GOG and sites like it are just a better deal than console versions these days.

#13 Posted by SMTDante89 (2613 posts) -

Both for me as well.

#14 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2287 posts) -

Not while the prices on digital games are still too high.

#15 Posted by SongWriter1987 (134 posts) -

As a PC gamer I already am exclusively a downloads guy. In fact, when a friend of mine gave me a boxed version of a game he ended up not wanting I didn't use the disk, I just redeemed the CD key on steam :-P

Anyways, I don't plan on buying a PS4 for awhile, and whether I go digital on console depends on if Sony can achieve a respectable download speed on PSN.

#16 Edited by Fattony12000 (7596 posts) -

Whichever one is cheapest at the point of sale, in most cases.

#17 Posted by Pezen (1657 posts) -

Not until we see either competive pricing or a more flexible storage solution. Giving me a custom harddrive with cheap amount of storage that is comparatively expensive is a horrible solution.

So for now, physical. But then, I also like looking at my filled shelves filled with games.

#18 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5903 posts) -

Digital games sound much more appealing to me right now. About six months ago I got rid of a ton a game boxes and kept the discs in a binder. I only kept the most personally valuable games in their cases on my shelf. I kind of let my collection get out of hand and I don't want to have to deal with that again.

Onwards to the Digital Future!

As far as the console launch, I'll probably buy the first few games I get for it in the physical format. It's just easier that way for now. Once I get familiar with the marketplace on my console of choice (Ps4) then I'll transition into buying most of my games digitally.

#19 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

Nah dawg I'm goin' for them physical downloads

#20 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

I would greatly prefer if the Xbox One shipped without a disc drive. Disc drives are useless garbage as are Blu Ray discs.

#21 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5903 posts) -

Nah dawg I'm goin' for them physical downloads

You should really go for the Digital box copies instead.

#22 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5903 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

I would greatly prefer if the Xbox One shipped without a disc drive. Disc drives are useless garbage as are Blu Ray discs.

Preach it Duder!

#23 Posted by BeachThunder (12304 posts) -

Wait, games come on discs?

#24 Posted by awesomeusername (4231 posts) -

Yes.

#25 Edited by GrantHeaslip (1662 posts) -
@themanwithnoplan said:

@jdh5153 said:

Preach it Duder!

Great, opt out of a huge swath of price discounting because physical media is so last century!

Why set a hard-and-fast rule? If a game's cheaper digitally, I'll buy it digitally, but if it's cheaper on physical media (which is very often the case), I'll get it physically. I do prefer digital and don't really care about used games, reselling, or collecting; but in a world where I've bought games (shrinkwrapped copies!) for under $20 that go for $40-$60 on PSN, I don't know if I'm sold on this glorious all-digital future quite yet.

Of course, if the new consoles did away with physical media (which they're not!) digital prices would almost certainly go down and be much more reactive to the market, both because retailer relationships wouldn't need to be tiptoed around, and because the used game problem wouldn't be a problem. Sony's been testing the sale waters on PSN, but the importance of retail being as it is, they can only take that so far, especially with big releases.

But in the world we live in -- where the new consoles are carrying forward the same retail model -- I'm not going to handicap myself as a consumer in the name of not having to get out of my chair to swap discs.

#26 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I went download-only this gen.

#27 Posted by JayEH (538 posts) -

Only if we get Steam like pricing on the consoles.

#28 Posted by ConfusedOwl (961 posts) -

I will never pay $60 for a digital game so I will not be going digital only. Not to mention my internet is shit so downloading 20 plus gigs every few weeks would be a horrible idea.

#29 Posted by Zeik (2672 posts) -

I still buy physical when I can, because it usually works out better for me, and there's only so much space on my hard drive. I'm not opposed to buying digitally, but as things are now there isn't much of an incentive for me to prefer digital.

#30 Posted by isomeri (1389 posts) -

Absolutely. I'm going out of my way to avoid physical copies, unless I get one for free or something. Having spent the last year or two mainly using Steam has made finding and swapping discs for my consoles feel so Victorian.

#31 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Unless next gen brings forth a marvelous upgrade to my currently shit download speeds; hell fucking no.

#32 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5903 posts) -

@grantheaslip said:
@themanwithnoplan said:

@jdh5153 said:

Preach it Duder!

Great, opt out of a huge swath of price discounting because physical media is so last century!

Why set a hard-and-fast rule? If a game's cheaper digitally, I'll buy it digitally, but if it's cheaper on physical media (which is very often the case), I'll get it physically. I do prefer digital and don't really care about used games, reselling, or collecting; but in a world where I've bought games (shrinkwrapped copies!) for under $20 that go for $40-$60 on PSN, I don't know if I'm sold on this glorious all-digital future quite yet.

Of course, if the new consoles did away with physical media (which they're not!) digital prices would almost certainly go down and be much more reactive to the market, both because retailer relationships wouldn't need to be tiptoed around, and because the used game problem wouldn't be a problem. Sony's been testing the sale waters on PSN, but the importance of retail being as it is, they can only take that so far, especially with big releases.

But in the world we live in -- where the new consoles are carrying forward the same retail model -- I'm not going to handicap myself as a consumer in the name of not having to get out of my chair to swap discs.

Definitely. There's really no reason to limit yourself if there's better options out there. I fully intend to keep buying physical copies here and there for certain games, especially if there cheaper. Obviously spending 60 bucks on every new title that comes out is an impossible dream. I'm ultimately glad both consoles will still have a physical media option. The market isn't entirely ready to make a full on shift to digital media yet and might not be for some time. My ultimate dream would be to buy everything digital to avoid spacial limitations that come up over time, but that's not entirely feasible as of now. One day it might be, but until then physical media still offers a more accessible and sometimes financially viable option for the broader audience.

#33 Posted by MikeydCT (571 posts) -

I would only go digital if it was like steam and had better net. This week I would get Saints row 4 on steam but it would take me two days to download with my 1.3mb net.

#34 Posted by TechHits (1390 posts) -

I would say like 80% digital 20% boxed.

Some games I still like to have the real thing you know?

#35 Edited by Royce_McCutcheon (221 posts) -

@petiew said:

Not until they stop trying to rip us off with digital download prices in the UK. It should cost less to download, not £10 - £15 more than a boxed copy.

The pricing is also absurd in Australia. Right now on the Australian PS Store, you can pre-order Splinter Cell Blacklist (it releases in two days) for...

$104.

I could walk into JB Hi-Fi and pay $75. Never mind going online, but that's another story.

Plus there's also the internet issue over here, what with inconsistent download speeds and bandwidth caps being something to contend with.

#36 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

I can't remember the last time I bought a 'physical' copy of a video game.

#37 Posted by Petiew (1355 posts) -

@royce_mccutcheon: That's a crazy amount of money! I think PSN has said the publishers decide their own prices, I'm really not sure why they offer a discount in the US and charge such ridiculous prices elsewhere.