Anyone had any fan issues when watching GB videos?

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I was just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with their computer fans when watching GB videos? I don't have a great PC, but videos on the site make my computer fan run louder than it does at any other time, even playing games. It's ridiculously loud, to the point where I'm scared my computer might overheat but then I pause the video and it's suddenly silent again. So, anyone else noticed this or is this problem specific to my computer?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Jesus_Phish

I've never had that issue but maybe try change the quality of the video? It defaults to streaming but you can change that to HTML5, Youtube and Progressive. Perhaps one of those will fix the issue for you?

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Sounds like you need a new CPU. It happens to my 6 year old macbook too but I know that thing is old and flash videos is rough on the CPU.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cloudnineboya

it happened to me when ever i watched video so i took the fan off and gave it a good clean it was pretty dirty with dust and it fixed the problem for me.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Whenever I watch a video with the CBSi player it uses 30% of my CPU which it really shouldn't.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this was gonna be a thread about people raging out in the comments or something... oh well.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PC is on the verge of dying, so i generally monitor my temps and yes GB tends to make my GPU run much hotter than pretty much any other site, not in a dangerous way, but just very noticeable when you start looking. I'm curious why, seems like it shouldnt be doing that.

Anyone with a good PC wanna monitor temps as an experiment? Watch some netflix or youtube or blip or twitch or whatever for a bit, look at your temps. Then watch a quick look with the CBSi player and then check again.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I sometimes have issues with the fans, which is why I generally don't read the comments, yuk yuk

@dimi3je said:

I thought this was gonna be a thread about people raging out in the comments or something... oh well.

Rats, I was too slow.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Ben_H

Their flash player is just quite demanding on the ol' CPU. The fans kicking up means your computer is getting quite warm. The HTML5 player is a lot less demanding, at least it is for me.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might just be a coincidence, but I got a flash update yesterday and I've distinctly noticed that my fan has been reving up more when having flash applications running (especially if I have several videos/streams up). Although the last few days has also been way warmer than usual.

Taargus_435

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My 2011 MBP sounds like a jet engine for certain videos.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a computer last October and was routinely getting 90+ % CPU usage when using the filled browser mode on videos. It was sort of alarming. I switched to HTML5 and get like 20% doing the exact same thing.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Corevi

@clonedzero: On my semi-dangerously overclocked laptop, temps in Celsius:

Twitch (Source)93
Youtube (1080p)91
Netflix93
CBSi87

So it's not that. But it definitely does hit my CPU % harder.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By AMyggen

The common answer to this seems to be that using the HTML5 player normally fixes this problem (it does for me). But is that player available to non-Premium users?

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like you need a new CPU. It happens to my 6 year old macbook too but I know that thing is old and flash videos is rough on the CPU.

CPU's don't really "wear out". You can run a CPU at 100% for a decade and as long as it's adequately cooled it would be fine. If the CPU is running hotter than normal it may need the thermal paste replaced. I popped the shroud off an old video card that was running at 100% fan for almost anything and the paste underneath was crusty and tacky. Putting new paste on it helped quite a lot. Of course don't do this yourself unless you know what you are doing, especially in a laptop.

Running videos is far more resource intensive than most casual computer use. Streaming them even more so. Even my beefy cooled video card goes to like 24% fan on videos. My CPU goes from about 10 Watts to 30 when watching a video on Giant Bomb.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@slaegar: Yeah you're right. My sentence is poorly worded :)

VorlonGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VorlonGod

Nope. I know how to PMCS my equipment instead of just assuming my machines with moving parts in them will last forever.