Anyone hang out in arcades anymore?

Avatar image for deactivated-59c96a6e99d9e
deactivated-59c96a6e99d9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I realize that the death of the arcade has long since past, and most most arcades still remaining have been pumped full of redeemable ticket games, but do any of you guys have a decent arcade in your area that you/your friends like to hang out in? I live in a pretty rural area, but I've been meaning to spend more time at this nearby arcade. Last time I was in, they still had a nice Marvel vs. Capcom 2 machine and a few other quality games.

Avatar image for buttonsmcboomboom
ButtonsMcBoomBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ButtonsMcBoomBoom

Nope, they've all closed down and usually only had people playing pool. I've had the idea of starting one up, but it would be quite a bit different than a normal arcade and not suited to the city I'm in at all.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MysteriousBob

Whats an arcade? I live in the north of England, you don't get those archaic things here.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#4  Edited By Brackynews

The best arcades I see these days are at universities and airports.  At my university there are always more people sitting in the PC game area (also it just downsized after 25+ years in the same location). The most popular cabinets are usually DDR and pinball.  But I'm mainly there for whatever Time Crisis release is current, and the retro/SNK cabinets.  And I've never seen more than 5 people in an airport arcade at one time, regardless of its size.

Definitely some of my fondest arcade memories are playing at the local airport.  Donkey Kong, Spy Hunter, Pole Position, Joust, Gauntlet, on and on.  Mini-golf was usually #2, and mall arcades #3, but mainly because fights would happen. I was in a couple. Asshat teens never changes.

Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Shinri

I wish we did. The closest thing to an arcade I ever see is a few machines in the corner of an airport, and even then they're just House of the Dead 3 machines and ocassionally a Time Crisis machine.
birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By birchman

There are no arcades near me, but if there were, I'd surely spend some money in there.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

I never did that often. In New Brighton where I used to live, the arcades was like the unofficial HQ for every 16-20 year old twat with drugs and alcohol where their brain should be.
Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Metroid545

No arcades in tally dude, though if there were I'd totally make it my goal to get my initials on the top 10 for every machine

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I live on the seaside in England... so we still have a couple of pretty sizeable arcades here... haven't been to one in like 5 years though.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#10  Edited By citizenkane

Arcades are still around outside of Japan?

Avatar image for deactivated-59c96a6e99d9e
deactivated-59c96a6e99d9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CitizenKane:  Well, the one I'm speaking of isn't solely an arcade. It's more like a mini golf course/ go-kart track/ arcade. But, the fact that it somehow hasn't been overrun with redeemable ticket and light gun games is kind of awesome.
Thatotherguy79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Thatotherguy79

Playstation One and N64 killed all the arcades off near me 13 years ago.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By RichardLOlson

Arcades are overrated and have been gone with the old version of MTV....honestly...I've not seen one since the late 90s and I'm sure they have disposed of or sold the majority of the arcade machines to buyers with a shit load of money.  What you will find is places that hold video games tournaments and video games sessions with systems such as x-box...x-box 360...PC...and a few other gaming systems.  But those places cost a decent amount for only an hours worth of game play...which to me I think is really shitty idea and a rip off.  These places are suppose to be a safe haven for children and keep them out of trouble.  Well if you ask me, its just another way for children to pump money into something that doesn't need to be there in the first place....shit just have the parents buy then the system and that way, they'll stay at home and stay out of trouble.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Ravenousrattler

nope they are pretty much extinct  here, i haven't seen an arcade in such a long time

Avatar image for randominternetperson
RandomInternetPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

We still consider arcades to be awesome!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There used to be one like 15min away from me but it closed down awhile ago. Now if I want an arcade it's a good 30-45min away. A little too long for me. Rest in peach arcades. I'll always love you.

arkkazeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By arkkazeal

Theres probably about 4 machines at one of the theatres near me, but House of the Dead gets boring pretty fast, and I could care less about racing or hunting games.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JJOR64

If there was an arcade near me that got Super Street Fighter IV when it's released, I would go there often.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xMP44x

No, sadly. The idea of arcades wouldn't work in my town, because the most recent one was closed a couple of years ago. And they're vandalized pretty badly round here :c

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By uniform

We used to have roughly 6-7 Arcades, but today none remain. The same fate hold true for our comic book shops. All going out of business. With everyone buying everything online, is it any wonder?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By ProfessorEss

Even if I knew where one was I'd feel way to old to be hanging around in one.

I'm pretty sure the last one that was in my area is an optometrist's office now.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Organicalistic_

Arcade, you mean get off of the couch and actually go out the door, to go somewhere to play a game, that is unheardof in my community

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FrankCanada97

Not any good ones left in my area of Toronto, although in Niagara Falls they have a pretty sizable arcade containing current and past games. It's in the tourist promenade that is known as Clifton Hill.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ninjakiller

No there aren't any around here anymore.   There was a Namco arcade that's now a BK in one of the malls, and there was this pretty cool retro arcade that had games from the 80's and 90's in it, I only went 3-4 times to it before it shut down. 

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By spaceturtle

Back in the day there was a awesome arcade room right where I live. But that closed down several years ago. If it was still open I would definitely spend some time and credit there.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Brake

I think we had one around here about a decade ago or so. Even then I never really hung out in one. I was always living in a smaller town and the arcades were in the city. Not to mention that I had no money to spend as a kid.

I've made it a mission in life to witness one before they completely dissapper, though.

vmehnert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vmehnert

I wish my old arcard was still up and running.  It was such a fun place to hang out!  The comic book store in my town is alive and thriving, however.  Probably because they host Warhammer tourneys every weekend

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Never hung around them in the first place!

Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Slab64

It's hard to say (since nobody here is mentioning their location) but it sounds like if you aren't in a metropolitan area, it's pretty hard to find an arcade. I'm just south of Los Angeles, and there are a good 5 or so arcades within a short drive. These range from pretty small (like 7 machines inside a bowling alley) to quite large (GameWorks, the Redondo Beach Fun Factory, Mulligans). Not that they are all necessarily cool places to hang out, but still. Also about a block away from that Mulligans place is a cyber cafe with a bunch of gaming PCs set up...don't know how common those are anymore.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iam3green

no, there are no arcades near me. the only arcade machines that i have seen were in bars. i don't go to a lot of bars.