Anyone Here Play Sports Management Games?

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gatehouse

As the lovely people of the Giantbomb community are rather partial to a niche game or two, I was just wanting to know if anyone on here plays these.

I myself have sunk way, way too many hours into the Football Manager series (which sell astonishingly well) and I was just wondering if there were any other like-minded duders out there.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By crusader8463

I love them in concept, but they are way too focused on reality and very dry to hold my appeal. I would love a sports management sim where you do something like run a wrestling organization or a hockey team but the league was full of stuff like monsters, and robots and what not. Think Blood Bowl style but from the team management side of things.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I play Out of the Park Baseball which just got on Steam.

It is really easy to lose days to.

MrJorOwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, spend many many hours on Football Manger each year. Probably more than anything else since it's such a background game.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually really liked Pro Cycling Manager. You could get really micromanagey down to controlling your team through an entire race. It was pretty fun if you're a cycling fan. I should get back into it.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play alot of 2k nba games but primarily for the gm in franchise mode.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Hell yes I do, I probably have a couple of months total play time (if not more) on the Football Manager series throughout the past ten years, I play them to death every year and I absolutely love it, great games. Other than that I'm into Pro Cycling Manager, I had a few years where I didn't play them but I've enjoyed the past two, although the commentary is the same at is was 5 years ago, which is disappointing. I love me some management mode in NBA 2K, Madden and Fifa too, but those aren't as deep as say FM.

@vuud said:

I actually really liked Pro Cycling Manager. You could get really micromanagey down to controlling your team through an entire race. It was pretty fun if you're a cycling fan. I should get back into it.

I been into that series for years, pretty good entertainment.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah, I am big fan of the Football Manager games. Hundreds of hours of gametime.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played Football Manager since it was called Championship Manager. Thousands of hours wasted/played. Have bought more than 15 of those.

Soviet666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play Football Manager since Championship Manager 01/02 :). Only game that can bring out real emotions, when you're winning 1:0 until 90 min, and then lose 1:2 after 20 seconds :P

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I like them in principle, and used to really like Championship Manager, but I really really want a good American football management sim, since that's my favourite sport. All the ones I've tried are either too dumbed down or way too complicated and micro-management focused. I'm more interested in a game where I'm the GM building a team than a game where I'm picking every play in every game.

I used to dabble in baseball sims as well, but I don't like baseball as much as I used to, and those games got way too crazy when sabermetrics became a big thing.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

there was a period of three or so years before i got back into console gaming in mid-2010 that I played NHL EHM 2007 almost exclusively. The number of hours I have pumped into that game is probably well into four figures. i was greatly saddened to see that that would be the last entry in that series due to 'piracy'.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

The thread title made me think of what an eSports management sim would be like. What would managing a team of Divekickers be like?

johnnymcginley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a problem.

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Royce_McCutcheon

Eastside Hockey Manager may have stolen several months of my life.

The one problem with the game though is that it's so database driven (like all these type of games), and the longer you play the more bloated the database becomes. It only takes one tiny little error to basically destroy your game irreparably. I was pretty crushed when my 2041-42 Columbus Blue Jackets franchise was lost. I built that team from nothing nearly forty prior. I'd won nearly 20 Stanley Cups, the Montreal Canadiens record of 24 within our sights.

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnnymcginley: No you don't. You're beautiful the way you are.

Side note: Played a lot of football manager in high school. Got Zidane to Aston villa when he was 35. Played a lot of International Cricket Captain while jamming out to wheezer.

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ratamero

Hundreds and hundreds of hours into Football Manager. I finally managed to get away from my addiction, though. Haven't played the last two at all.

Also Pro Cycling Manager, to the level where I made friends in a modding community and we always have a yearly reunion in Italy for the Giro d'Italia. Unmodded PCM sucks.

trident

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By trident

Probably THE best site that covers all Sports Management Video Games is right here -> General Manager (GM) Games http://gmgames.org

Cheers all

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By stinger061

I have more than 500 hours logged in each Football Manager game since 2012 (the first one to be on steam and therefore log hours played). I probably had a similar number of hours in every one since 2005. I've also played a ton of various versions of International Cricket Captain over the years and recently have dipped my toe into playing Out of The Park Baseball despite not knowing a whole lot about the sport. Safe to say I have a management game addiction

razielrioux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

FM has been a mainstay in my gaming diet for years now. That's the only one I have toyed with. Other than that, I have given thought to trying Out of the Park Baseball.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've put a good amount of hours into Football Manager. The FM games really don't look great without mods. Without mods, most of the teams are just given generic colours that sort of line up with their logo and none of their players have portraits, in some cases club names are altered so they don't infringe on copyrights. This means that before you play FM you usually have to download tons of image packs and database updates. In my experience, I've spent more time downloading mods for FM than actually playing it.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By poser

Eastside Hockey Manager but they stopped making them way back in 2007 :(

EDIT: Wait. They making a new one... [url]http://store.steampowered.com/app/301120/[/url] I'm kinda freaking out right now.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I really hate that there are no competent American Football sports management games at the moment (I know that the Out of the Park Baseball guys are working on one for this year though).

I genuinely really like management games. I know Football Manager is the best, but I don't really care for the sport all too much.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I've played a couple hundred hours of the recent Football Manager games. Love them and they are just relaxing to play while listening to a podcast or catching up on some TV.

I also played a lot of Anstoß 1+2 (German Football Sim) back in the day.