#1 Posted by vegetashonor (575 posts) -

Ever since that Unprofessional Friday where they watched the Zelda speed run, I've been wanting to check more out. Can anyone suggest some good/impressive ones to help me on my day off? Thanks Duders!!!

#2 Posted by kerikxi (538 posts) -

A good place to start for speedruns is Speed Demos Archive. Find some games you're interested in and go nuts.

There are twitch archives for all the Awesome Games Done Quick 2013 runs, available here and here.

You can also check out SpeedRunsLive for active streams and races.

Finally you can check out the SDA and SRL team pages on twitch, here and here.

#3 Posted by ildon (363 posts) -

If you haven't seen it yet, you should watch the "original" speed run video, Quake Done Quick. It was done a bit differently than modern speed runs, with different people doing different maps independently. In the modern context, it might even be considered a tool assisted run, because they used a program to modify the demo files to change the starting conditions of a map based on the ending conditions of the previous map, and only re-ran the following maps if the stat changes actually affected the run.

I also really enjoy watching the speed runs of the various Metroid games.

#4 Posted by Slumberpunch (109 posts) -

Here's one of my favorites:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/SuperGhoulsNGhosts.html

Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts for the SNES. It has to be one of the hardest games I've played. This run makes it look like a walk in the park.

#5 Posted by vegetashonor (575 posts) -
#6 Posted by vegetashonor (575 posts) -

@ildon: I'll check that out!

#7 Edited by Dethfish (3638 posts) -

Here's a pokemon yellow speedrun with commentary. There's also a crystal version speed run here. Pokemon is definitely not the first game I would of thought of watching a speed run of, but I thought they were actually pretty interesting. It's insanely optimized, but I think a lot of it is just getting lucky with the RNG. I also recommend watching a Super Metroid speedrun. Any% and 100% runs are both pretty entertaining and very fast. The strats for that game are still changing and the current WR has been broken like 4 times in the past couple of weeks. I watch Garrison on twitch a lot, and I believe he is the current WR holder. Also, Siglemic is pretty popular for running Super Mario 64 like a mad man, but he recently changed his focus to Ocarina of Time. He's just learning how to speed run it and it's kind of cool just to see how someone goes about doing that.

The way I usually watch speedruns is by either watching people on twitch, or if there's nothing on there I like I'll go to Speed Demos Archive and just search for some of my favorite games.

#8 Edited by vegetashonor (575 posts) -
#9 Posted by Pr1mus (3855 posts) -

@kerikxi: Thanks for the links, there's some great stuff on speed demos archives.

#10 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Speed runner Duckfist recently beat the long standing Ninja Gaiden 2 any% record set by Hotarubi. While it may not seem like beating a record by a second and change is anything special, keep in mind this game has been extensively speed run by a variety of players over the years. Getting a time under 11:00 is a pretty big deal by itself. Beating Hotarubi's record is huge accomplishment. Have a look:

http://www.twitch.tv/duckfist/c/1885302

#11 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

The Super Metroid speed runs are pretty crazy. I almost feel like the text explanations are more fascinating than the speed run itself.