#1 Posted by Demoskinos (13873 posts) -

So WOLF is out on iTunes and Spotify etc.... I'm listening to it right now and the production values on this one are much higher than GOBLIN. Really liking it. Pharell is actually one one track which is pretty damn amazing. Just curious if there are any Tyler fans out there on Giant Bomb. Equally excited for Earl's album later in the year. Slater and Treehome95 are early favorites of mine so far. Although It will take repeated listings to really see what I really end up thinking of it. First impressions are good though. Anyone else have thoughts?

In a related note you should watch Tyler's performance of Domo23 on Jimmy Fallon. It was pretty damn awesome.

#2 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4029 posts) -

Uhm, I'm a fan. I'll get around to listening to it.

I love Pharell on everything.

#3 Posted by ShaggE (5987 posts) -

Not a fan, but that cover is incredible.

#4 Posted by MikkaQ (10225 posts) -

He's usually too weird for my tastes in hip-hop, but I'll give this one a shot.

#5 Edited by Humanity (7962 posts) -

Tyler the Creator and the whole crew he rolls with always strike me as hip-hop that hipster white kids can listen to with their windows rolled down.

Initially some of the singles were novel but as time went on it all started sounding the same.

#6 Edited by Demoskinos (13873 posts) -

@humanity: I really like what Tyler puts out simply because it doesn't really sound like most other Hip-Hop. He is also generally pretty goddamn honest with the music he writes.

#7 Edited by Milkman (16228 posts) -

It's okay. The production is a hugely improved, some really unbelievable stuff. There's a bunch of songs on the album that can easily be regarded as his best work to date. But like Goblin, it definitely drags in spots and Tyler hasn't really grown as a lyricist. His obsession with this constant "fuck the haters" attitude gets really grating. Stop telling me that the haters are wrong and just show me. Also, his use of Frank Ocean as some sort of "get out of jail free" card for his constant use of homophobic slurs is just annoying. If you're going to insist on calling people fags, just do it. Don't give me the "oh well, some of my best friends are gay!" defense.

Overall, though, it's not bad. I prefer Bastard and to a lesser extent, Goblin but I'm not ready to completely jump off the bandwagon just yet. But I'm really looking forward to Earl's album.

#8 Posted by Demoskinos (13873 posts) -

@milkman said:

It's okay. The production is a hugely improved, some really unbelievable stuff. There's a bunch of songs on the album that can easily be regarded as his best work to date. But like Goblin, it definitely drags in spots and Tyler hasn't really grown as a lyricist. His obsession with this constant "fuck the haters" attitude gets really grating. Stop telling me that the haters are wrong and just show me. Also, his use of Frank Ocean as some sort of "get out of jail free" card for his constant use of homophobic slurs is just annoying. If you're going to insist on calling people fags, just do it. Don't give me the "oh well, some of my best friends are gay!" defense.

Overall, though, it's not bad. I prefer Bastard and to a lesser extent, Goblin but I'm not ready to completely jump off the bandwagon just yet. But I'm really looking forward to Earl's album.

Now that is some truth. I'm really excited to see what Earl can do.

#9 Edited by Humanity (7962 posts) -

@demoskinos: something something triceratops something something wolf gang something something choke you

But different strokes for different folks. I like the Clipse a lot and all they ever rap about is bitches and selling cocaine so I can't really talk.

#10 Edited by SecondPersonShooter (580 posts) -

@humanity said:

@demoskinos: something something triceratops something something wolf gang something something choke you

But different strokes for different folks. I like the Clipse a lot and all they ever rap about is bitches and selling cocaine so I can't really talk.

It's worth saying that Tyler bites a lot of his production off of the style Clipse used when The Neptunes were producing for them. It's kind of why I like Tyler, when he's on his game, his production would be right at home on something off of Hell Hath No Fury

But, I'm pretty down with Wolf. Some tracks can get a little too angsty for something that's supposed to be a maturation of his style (I'm looking at you, IFHY), but there's some real gems on here.

My favorite tracks are probably answer, 48, and pigs.

#11 Edited by Humanity (7962 posts) -

@secondpersonshooter: Hell Hath no Fury was a really raw album and you can really see how they mellowed out on their next one which in a way took a bit of wind out of their sails.

#12 Edited by Branthog (7332 posts) -

What's going on here.

#13 Edited by myketuna (1631 posts) -

@milkman said:

@humanity said:

Tyler the Creator and the whole crew he rolls with always strike me as hip-hop that hipster white kids can listen to with their windows rolled down.

Initially some of the singles were novel but as time went on it all started sounding the same.

These posts sum up most of my feelings on the group.

I've never been on the bandwagon, though. They're definitely different than what's out there, but I'm not really feeling it. Unfortunately, one of my close friends is exactly a hipster white kid that listens to this with his windows rolled down. But besides his taste in music and clothes, he's pretty cool and we're pretty cool with each other. More power to OFWGKTA and crew though.

#14 Edited by MikkaQ (10225 posts) -

Okay I'm back! I listened to the album. The production is really top notch, and I appreciate that kind of effort, but I think his lyrics are kinda uninteresting. They're not grabbing me very much. His flow reminds me of Aesop Rock.

#15 Posted by dusker (65 posts) -

I haven't listened to this, but I intend to. Personally, I've always been a fan of Tyler's flow, but I cannot stand his constant hate-speech. It's not interesting, or satirical, or, well, anything, and we're past the fucking point of "shock music" for it's own sake (Green Day wrote Longview a long fucking time ago, and, well, even the fucking ancient Romans were already spouting all kinds of hate poetry 2000 years before Tyler was around). So while he can obviously rap, his lyrics come across as lazy, flat and ignorant (watch some interviews with the dude to get a better sense of how ignorant he actually is).

So, question, for people how have listened to the album, does "Wolf" solve any of the problems that I have with Tyler's music?

#16 Posted by Cheesebob (1212 posts) -

@dusker: There is moderately less horrorcore rap. More angst and self loathing. Reminds me of Eminem's transformation from Slim Shady LP to Marshall Mathers LP...but not as good, obviously.

#17 Edited by Sploder (917 posts) -

It's pretty good, drags at times though. Could have been about 10 minutes shorter and been better for it. Domo23, Tamale, Bimmer, and Jamba are great tracks.

#18 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

@milkman said:

The production is a hugely improved

Yeah this....the production on Goblin was god awful.....from what I've heard, the production still isn't GREAT in my opinion, but its a step up....Tyler has definitely grown as a producer.

#19 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4029 posts) -

I'm listening to this now. nd loving the beats, remind me of Kanye beats. I love the horn sounds. Definitely more jumpy, dancey. Still awkward as fuck.

Fucking dope!, I guess.

#20 Posted by cloudnineboya (692 posts) -

SHIT in the picture he look like cat from red dwarf .

#21 Edited by planetfunksquad (369 posts) -

I really like this album. Dude's more focused on his production lately and it shows. His lyrics range from pretty awesome, smart word play, to angsty crap on this one but overall it's good. Like people have said, it's probably 10 minutes too long, but so was Goblin and I still love that record.

The whole of OF is making the type of music they want to make and I think that should be commended, whether you're feeling it or not.

Sucks that that track with Nas on it is just a voice sample tho, I'd love to hear them on a track together!

#22 Edited by Winternet (7936 posts) -

Patrick Wolf? I'm not a big fan.

Oh, Wolf Parade. I like that band, actually.

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (13873 posts) -

@dusker: There is moderately less horrorcore rap. More angst and self loathing. Reminds me of Eminem's transformation from Slim Shady LP to Marshall Mathers LP...but not as good, obviously.

Well to be fair the entire Goblin album was setup around the theme of Tyler being in a Mental Institution being asked questions by Dr. TC who in the end turned out to be a "voice" inside Tyler trying to help himself. The "shock" stuff you talk about was not just there for shock value it was there because the whole album was about Tyler's inner thoughts fluxuating back and forth between feeling abandoned and lonely and rejected to pouring out all of his anger , hate and frustrations.

Which is represented by a figure tyler calls "Tron Cat" who represents the "dark" side of Tyler's emotions. Hell, Tyler himself on Goblin twice addresses the fact that people think he is only shock value. Once on "Nightmare" and again on "Sandwitches" with the exact line

"And we don't fucking make horrorcore, you fucking idiots Listen deeper than the music before you put it in a box"

And yeah the kid is like 21 or something so he has some growing up to do still but considering where his head is out now I think he could continue to really blow it up if he actually stays doing this. If all Tyler did was spew out lines like "Rape a pregnant bitch and tell my friends I had a threesome" then I might be on board with him being nothing more than shock value but then you also have songs like "Analog" and "Her" which are essentially straight up love ballads with Tyler expressing his feelings for some unkown girl. The guy has a range of music that he pulls from hell on Wolf i do believe on Treehome95 the entire piano piece is played by Tyler himself. I'm just saying the guy is more well rounded than I think many people give him credit for because they heard a few lines about rape and murder and failed to put all of that against the context that it needed to be taken in.