#1 Posted by Thunderducky (23 posts) -
#2 Posted by captain_max707 (477 posts) -

It's still pretty new, so I would imagine people are still getting used to it and stuff. 

#3 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@captain_max707 said:

It's still pretty new, so I would imagine people are still getting used to it and stuff.

There are a few impressive videos that were made with the leaked version from last year, I'll see if I can find one.

Here's one:

#4 Posted by Ramone (2956 posts) -

Save as .dmx may be one of the greatest video game related videos I've ever seen.

#5 Posted by TMBaker (230 posts) -

Waiting for a beta invite. :(

#6 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
#7 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -

No,

And If I was going to make a film I would just export the 3d models Files from half life the .mdl format or what ever it was called it has been awhile since I have imported or exported for the source engine.

and bring them and the textures into 3d studio max or maya Rig or blender them my self for animation then use a real rendering system like metal ray or V ray with a .hdri file and render out the movie my self at a much higher quaility than that thing could ever have a chance of making, So i see no point in why they are using it for Prerendered Movies when there are better options.

Or just say fuck the low res models all togeather and use them as a base to make a high res model like the renders on the box art,

But that is just me. Some where burned on a DVD I have all the models from half life 2 Exported from the game I would use those to make something.

You would end up with something like this infact this guy already did it and so did Valve on the box arts. IF valve was really awsome they would put out the 3d models high poly models from maya used in the box art renders that would be more useful to making sweet ass movies.

#8 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

@Cubical: Why are you talking about that in a Source Filmmaker thread?

#9 Posted by m16mojo2 (293 posts) -

I'm wondering why we need a beta invite... Why not just release it, and have future patches?

Valve has the best community support I have ever seen. By that I mean, they're really involved and actually listen to fans. IMO

Also, steam.....

#10 Posted by Thunderducky (23 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver: Yeah, Meet the Family is definitely one of the best ones I've seen so far.

#11 Posted by chilibean_3 (1611 posts) -

I'm not sure you're going to find one as good as Save as .dmx.

#12 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

This is my second favorite next to "Save as .dmx":

#13 Posted by h0lgr (908 posts) -

  My first attempt at a thing in this.. thing.
Got the Beta invite a few days ago.

#14 Posted by akzo (64 posts) -

Can you only use TF2 assets with this?

#15 Posted by Animasta (14638 posts) -

@akzo said:

Can you only use TF2 assets with this?

pretty sure it's all source games, though it is also a possibility that the other source games aren't available right now.

#16 Posted by Sidonic (34 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver: Kind nice

#17 Posted by Izbaadin_Islamabad (71 posts) -

@Cubical said:

No,

And If I was going to make a film I would just export the 3d models Files from half life the .mdl format or what ever it was called it has been awhile since I have imported or exported for the source engine.

and bring them and the textures into 3d studio max or maya Rig or blender them my self for animation then use a real rendering system like metal ray or V ray with a .hdri file and render out the movie my self at a much higher quaility than that thing could ever have a chance of making, So i see no point in why they are using it for Prerendered Movies when there are better options.

Yeah, and what's up with games not being written in Haskell, am I right or what?

#18 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -
@Thunderducky
This is the best one I've seen so far.    
#19 Posted by yoshisaur (2611 posts) -

@Dylabaloo said:

@Thunderducky:
This is the best one I've seen so far.

That was incredible.

#20 Posted by Thunderducky (23 posts) -

Ok, THAT might be the most impressive one I've seen so far

#21 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

Oh, snap:

Never expected to actually get into the beta. I don't have any experience at all with animation and barely any with movie editing, but I'll try to learn how this thing works.

#22 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -
@Animasta said:

@akzo said:

Can you only use TF2 assets with this?

pretty sure it's all source games, though it is also a possibility that the other source games aren't available right now.

New update lets people import models from Gmod, but before that it also let people import models from other source games. From NeoGAF
 
#23 Posted by N7 (3572 posts) -

Thanks for reminding me. I just checked and I got in. :)

#24 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I guess I'll check if I got in when I get home.

#25 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I didn't get in :(

#26 Edited by Marmalade (192 posts) -

Here's the culmination of my first dozen hours or so with SFM. I think I might have accidentally messed with the demoman in the element viewer and done things I shouldn't have, as he became unanimatable within my first hour messing with things, so most of the work is on the scout.

It blows my mind how accessible this tool is! I have absolutely zero experience with any sort of animation, yet I was able to create a silly little ten second clip. It's a pretty crappy clip, but I'm very happy with what I managed to accomplish, and I learned a ton in the dozen hours I spent with the tool, so I'm looking forward to improving and actually making something interesting! (Trying to make something look like it's walking is hard! :( )

#27 Posted by SoleVillain (40 posts) -

I'm having a major problem with things becoming unanimateable

#28 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4252 posts) -

I made a DotA2 film staring some choice female heroes hehehehe. It's got Drow, Windrunner, and Mirana doing you know what...

It's a fucking archery competition. Get your mind out of the gutter.

#29 Posted by Remedy25 (131 posts) -

I found this to be rather amusing, which might say a lot about me.

#30 Edited by mafibasheth (1 posts) -

'Nova Prospekt' [SFM miniseries]

"Rise an Shine 10/11/12"