• 90 results
#1 Posted by Demoskinos (14778 posts) -

So, the last video review on the site is Patrick's review of Skyward Sword for the Wii last november. And yeah... I know the guys have had some major changes since then and the video reviews take a good deal of work but man... I would really like to see some video reviews again. They are fun to watch! One of my favorite bits was the last segment on both the Deadspace 2 and Skyrim reviews adds a great bit of that Giantbomb personality to the mix. I hope to see some more video reviews in the future.

#2 Edited by Dixavd (1354 posts) -

Jeff recently said on Formspring (when asked if Video reviews were coming back) that he won't say it isn't a possibility but that they don't currently have a set up for it and it isn't a priority to do it.

--Edit--

Found the exact quote:

Q: "Is Giantbomb going to have a new review video by the end of the year?"

A: "Hmm. Never say never, I guess, but probably not? We're not really set up to produce them right now, so it's not really something we're thinking about."

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (14778 posts) -

@Dixavd: =( Thats what I feared. Can't blame them as it does take a lot of work to put one together.

#4 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Not really, they were good but I'm not that interested either way.

#5 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

No. I find quick looks and review text work much better. I'd rather watch the game in action as it actually occurs, rather than little snippets edited together for a 5 minute video

#6 Posted by Dick_Mohawk (378 posts) -

I miss them. It's good to hear how the reviewer is excited/on a downer by a game (as opposed to trying to infer emotional state) in a video review instead of just reading the words. Here's the thing though. If Gamespot has the capacity to do video reviews surely Giant Bomb has access to the same facilities. I'll use the giantbombcast studio as a primary example of these shared facilities.

#7 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -

I like them but I prefer quick looks. But still I'm curious what they mean by not set up for that? They can't possibly be still unpacking can they?

#8 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -

they're fun to watch, but i don't mind if we only get text reviews for a while.

#9 Posted by shrinerr (137 posts) -

Video reviews are so *insert year here*

are they fun to watch? yes. do i miss them dearly? no. i'll take a 20 min ql over a 5 min review anyday

#10 Posted by Dagbiker (6974 posts) -

I dont know how much time they actually put into it, because I am not editing them my self. But It looks like it could be a couple hours. And thats after you finished capturing all the hours and hours of gameplay. All to produce a 5 minute video is a little much.

#11 Posted by M_Shini (551 posts) -

I find quicklooks are enough to give me enough of a chance to see if i like it or not generally and don't tend to read reviews to know if i want a game or not.

#12 Posted by JacDG (2120 posts) -

Kind of, they were very funny and easy to get into, and ultimately what made me stick around these parts when I stumbled upon the site a few years back (around the InFamous 1 release)

#14 Posted by oneidwille (149 posts) -

I liked them. But all in all, I'd just like them to create more video content, and green-screen madness. If the path to that is through a return of the Video Review, then so be it.

#15 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I would love to see review videos again for the bigger titles, they seem to have a shortage of real videos lately.

#16 Posted by MikkaQ (10284 posts) -

I don't mind reading the reviews and if it allows them to do more, then I prefer it that way.

#17 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

yeah, its weird that they stopped. the crew be getting lazy i think.

#18 Posted by Kedi2 (246 posts) -

I prefer quicklooks personally.

#19 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

I like the video reviews, I hope they return soon.

#20 Posted by wordfalling (193 posts) -

Nope.

#21 Posted by Orbitz89 (229 posts) -

I have to say that I personally prefer quick looks. Plus video reviews don't always give you the full rundown of what the game is about.. I mean they are handy for the basic outline and if you're short on time or whatever.

#22 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -

I miss video reviews, but hey, they take time, planning and execution. Quicklooks are much, much easier to make, since they can openly discuss the game on and minute-to-minute basis and even screw up without problem.

Funny thing is, if there's one thing that I like in a video game site, its video reviews. I don't care for written previews, for dev interviews, for trailers for instance. Video reviews about fresh new games that i'm interested in always made me super excited. But now, I'm going elsewhere to get these videos. Like IGN, gametrailers and gamespot, along with a couple youtube channels.

I feel like Giantbomb's now becoming a quick cash-grab. Gross ads everywhere, less and less reviews, and video reviews are now non-existent. I guess that the owners of the site can now just cash-in their royalties a very minimum of effort and keep their review copies for their own personal uses.

I really highly doubt that the whole giantbomb team works from 8 to 5 like, for instance Gamespot. They're very nonchalant and even hired someone ( Patrick Klepek ) to make sure the website doesn't stay dusty for too long. I'm not even sure that what they're doing is called ''work'' anymore. I don't like podcast, because without video feedback, I lose interest very quickly.

I'd like to think otherwise, but sadly, right now, that's not the case with what I've been seeing.

#23 Posted by NegativeCero (2996 posts) -

Not really. They're basically just reading points in their reviews with footage of the game in the background. They've got that covered in quick looks and I'd rather read a review for a game I'm interested in anyway.

#24 Posted by CaLe (3964 posts) -

I only liked when Vinny did a funny thing with the end of the video.

#25 Posted by Rodent (260 posts) -

I really wish they would. In all honesty I don't take the time to read through reviews anymore no matter what site I'm on. I'm a 38 yr old dude with 2 young girls and a wife that all want their time on the computer so I skim and move on. Yeah I realize that the video reviews usually take more time to watch than to actually read a text review but it's up to me how I wanna consume my reviews and I prefer them in video form...which is why I hit up Gametrailers for their video reviews and Metacritic for their summed up reviews. Here on GB I simply look at the Star score and then read the last 2 paragraphs and move on.

Some may think it's lazy but I visit several sites for their thoughts on different games and so I'm not gonna take the time to read each and every one.

Personally I think the best way to consume things like that are in video form.

#26 Posted by 1DER (82 posts) -

I don't miss them. I find the Quick Looks, and Bombcast discussions more insightful.

#27 Posted by wumbo3000 (960 posts) -

Although I do believe a text review and a quick look are sufficient enough to explain a game, I will always love a good, edited GiantBomb video. The videos where Drew or Vinny have spent some time on and edited (such as the E3 videos) are always the best and usually the funniest.

#28 Posted by Demoskinos (14778 posts) -

To everyone saying that they prefer quick-looks. It isn't a either or situation. Just about every game they video reviewed they also did a quick-look of as well.

#29 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

I liked them over reading the text reviews. I don't like reading.

#30 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1242 posts) -

I like video reviews. I miss them.

#31 Posted by JoeyRavn (4970 posts) -

@wordfalling said:

Nope.

#32 Posted by TheHBK (5474 posts) -

Quicklooks + Review are the way to go. Quicklooks are always more interesting and you hear on the fly commentary and you actually get to see stuff they talk about in the review or something that stands out.

To be honest, the video reviews seem out of place on this site, because the guys are super serious on them when talking about the game and they can be a little awkward having to stand there talking off a script, especially Brad, he makes me cringe sometimes. But who wouldn't be awkward up there? Anyway, they just repeat most of what they say in the text review so I say, have a quicklook up with the review and things are great.

#33 Posted by GrandMarshal (388 posts) -

no

#34 Posted by Zenogiasu (192 posts) -

Yeah, I miss 'em. Then again, I miss the Question of the Week, too.

#35 Posted by IntoTheN1ght (62 posts) -

They seem "anti" Giant Bomb, ie they are overly produced and scripted, the guys come across as phony IGN/Gamespot (well lol)/G4/Gametrailers etc reviewers. Its just beneath them to waste their time doing it

I prefer far more to just watch the Quick Look, its raw and its Giant Bomb in every sense of the word. Them talking about games on Bombcast also is more geniune and informative.

#36 Posted by CaptainObvious (2996 posts) -

Nah.

#37 Posted by MocBucket62 (1206 posts) -

Sort of, then again GB was never big on making video reviews. They always made 12 reviews a year before being purchased by CBS Interactive.

#38 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Never saw the point of video reviews, there was never any new info in those videos, just them reading out the text review word for word.

#39 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

I don't care about video reviews specifically, but I'm a little dismayed that this many months in to the CBS acquisition they are not set up to deliver the same content the did before and haven't seemed to prioritize it.

When the acquisition took place I got the impression it was supposed to lead to bigger and better things. What are those things? So far it just seems like they have a better podcast studio (good for them I guess, but that's not really different for us).

#40 Posted by Getz (2997 posts) -

I do miss them; they were always so well-produced.

#41 Posted by SockemJetpack (408 posts) -

At the end of the day they were just video of game snippets with one of the guys reciting the review. The only thing it added beyond a quicklook and a written review was tones of inflection and maybe a little joke at the end.

The video reviews seemed like residue from their Gamespot days anyway. I'd rather they spend the time and effort on other stuff (random streams and mailbag type things)

#42 Posted by Aetheldod (3556 posts) -

I do much prefer video reviews than written ones ... but most QUick looks have that function but sometimes the good vibe from the QL is change , like it happened with Deathlight or it could happen the other way around.

#43 Posted by chilibean_3 (1635 posts) -

Not really, no.

#44 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Yeah, there were some truly great moments in some of them.

I realize that Giantbomb isn't primarily a review site, but I still hope they do some more of them.

#45 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

Honestly I prefer the Quick Looks. I want to see extended footage of a game. If I wanted to see a highly edited video with someone reading an abbreviated review I can get that from a dozen other sites.

#46 Posted by Jrinswand (1705 posts) -

No, not at all. Video footage of them playing games for sometimes upwards of an hour ends up being more valuable than any review.

#47 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Yeah, I honestly wouldn't mind if they just stopped writing text reviews, and start doing video reviews. I know that's kind of drastic, but it fits the rest of the site. The problem is it takes a shit ton of time and work to make video reviews.

#48 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10919 posts) -

No. Between Quick Looks, talking on the Bomb Cast, and regular reviews, I get what I need from their coverage.

#49 Posted by Daiphyer (1334 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

I like them but I prefer quick looks. But still I'm curious what they mean by not set up for that? They can't possibly be still unpacking can they?

They are just lazy.

#50 Posted by Gaff (1712 posts) -

I frankly "hated" them, with no offense intended to everyone involved in making them. They just... feel like verbatim readings from the text review, albeit condensed. And that just feels like reading the Cliff Notes of a novel or film. It just doesn't feel complete.

The only good one that I can remember is the famous 50 Cents: Blood on the Sand Video Review, where Jeff so deviates from the text in the review that it just becomes awesome.