#1 Posted by delt31 (48 posts) -

Not a bad thing but some of the guys love to make jokes or call attention to something by whispering it and it's not just limited to bombacasts. Am I the only one (maybe b/c I LOVE the site) or do you guys know what I mean. I would say Patrick (or as his mom calls him - PAT....just kidding) is the worst with it.

thoughts......on a Friday where the booze is flowing like wine if you know what I mean!!

btw - gbomb - best website on the internet right now.....and this is coming from a 30yr old who loves the internet and has never paid for a membership yet I've signed up for two years premium b/c these guys are special. great job.

#2 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

I'm not prejudice and I hear all words at the same volume.

I've actually not noticed this at all, but the idea of it doesn't bother me enough to have to go back and listen to the bombcasts to find it. Just to clarify though, you aren't talking about them whispering to each other so we can't hear it, right? You're saying that for comedic effect they do that thing where they whisper it, but loud enough that everyone can hear it I assume.

#3 Posted by Iron_Tool (218 posts) -

Never noticed it but I usually listen to it while driving. Never tried it with high end headset in a quiet room.

#4 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

It does get pretty old especially when Patrick does it, he reminds me of when Kessler started and was pretty much copying Ryan's persona dot for dot.

#5 Posted by UitDeToekomst (708 posts) -

i actually have noticed, and Ryan is definitely the biggest offender, not Patrick. not a huge deal, though, in my opinion.

#6 Edited by efman (208 posts) -

If you're leading a team of 4-5 people with the goal of having them talk non-stop for 2-3 hours, I'm sure there are things going on behind the scene just to not run into a wall of silence. It's quite a balancing act, and one that probably requires some whispering as to how the conversation should be playing. As we don't hear most of the time what is it that's being discussed, I'd wager that some do this just to have the conversations stay consisten for the duration of the podcast's length of time.

#7 Posted by delt31 (48 posts) -

guys - to clarify, I don't mean they whisper things normally and it impacts my ability to hear. I mean they whisper simply for comedic effect. Again, I actually think it's funny but recently I've started to notice it more so I thought I would point it out here to see if anyone else shares my view.

#8 Posted by avidwriter (667 posts) -

Kinda like. "Oh yea its in *whispers the secret sauce*. To make it a point that "secret sauce" is the funny bit. It works sometimes, but it can get old if used too much.

#9 Posted by Shivoa (623 posts) -

Not noticed it as insanely common when listening, I do think of it as part of the regular shtick so I'm not exactly surprised when it comes up (and expect it) but haven't been tracking regularity of or could even tell you the first time I think it was used.

#10 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Yeah Ive been noticing it quite a bit too but I dont mind it too much

#11 Posted by Lukeweizer (2652 posts) -

Patrick whispers every points he tries to make because he thinks it's revolutionary.

#12 Posted by Legend (2658 posts) -

Wow, I was going to make a topic about this the last time I listened to the bombcast, but decided against it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is annoyed by it. Patrick if you're reading this; please stop it.. *whispers* it's not funny anymore. D:

#13 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I have never noticed this.

#14 Posted by Beaudacious (927 posts) -

Wtf are you loonies talking about? What whispering? I just hear the bombcast, and them talking on the bombcast?

#15 Posted by august (3835 posts) -

YOU GUYS TALK WRONG

#16 Posted by ahgunsillyo (448 posts) -

Do you hear that hum? Is that just me?

#17 Posted by Tennmuerti (8066 posts) -
@Beaudacious said:

Wtf are you loonies talking about? What whispering? I just hear the bombcast, and them talking on the bombcast?

They are indoctrinated.
#18 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I always thought Patrick was snickering into the mic, unaware he's being picked up. I've never been able to make out words when it happens.

edit: Or do you mean the obvious "I think I'm clever" breathy pseudo-whisper thing when he's trying to make a point? Still l often hear Patrick laughing through his nose well after the crew has recovered from a wild joke tangent, and it almost sounds he's trying to whisper something indistinguishably.

#19 Posted by CornBREDX (5095 posts) -

what a weird criticism.

Not invalid, just weird.

Btw, they're whisper jokes. I do it to. I guess some people just don't get the joke.

#20 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Yup, they sure do that. Kinda have for a while.

#21 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

Yeah, I noticed it too. I like when they whisper because it's usually timely, and comedic.

#22 Posted by Slab64 (1054 posts) -

These whispers you say you're hearing...do they tell you to burn things?

#23 Posted by Zleunamme (655 posts) -

Ryan has the control board, maybe he pressed the whispering button. The Giant Bomb crew might have done it for comedic effect. At least GB doesn't run into that problem that the Rebel FM podcast has. Something get bleeped out. Then Arthur Gies speaks afterwards. Says he has to go back and do that out because the game is still under embargo until the next week. My favorite one is when Anthony Gallegos reads an e-mail from a listener. (Blank) has a relationship question and requested that his name not be read out loud on air.

#24 Posted by SockLobster (456 posts) -

ever played chinese whispers? it's like that but with videogames

#25 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

It's cool because they do it in Metalocalypse. 

#26 Posted by Doctorchimp (4074 posts) -

I used to hate it when I would listen to it on my way to school and my car sound system couldn't really pick it up even at the maximum volume when I was on the freeway. I remember the last bombcast with Dave before the chili day one like a few weeks before was really bad.

Now that they moved though the quality really has jumped up, so I catch everything they say now.

#27 Posted by delt31 (48 posts) -

This guys knows knows what I'm talking about.....it's whisper jokes...NOT that they are talking softly. Example below.

"Oh yea its in *whispers the secret sauce*. To make it a point that "secret sauce" is the funny bit.

again - i'm not complaining, I just think it's something they do a lot. Wasn't sure if I was the only one to notice this.

#28 Posted by Christoffer (1795 posts) -

I think your definition of "insane amount" is different from mine.

#29 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Ooooh another excuse to bitch at Patrick? I'll take it!

Actually nope, not noticed it.

#30 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

I'm more annoyed at Patrick's habit to express himself with overly long monologues. I just want to listen to people casually talking about games, not to some formal speeches. :-/

#31 Posted by Jimbo (9799 posts) -

Sotto voce.

#32 Edited by Legend (2658 posts) -

@Toxeia: @Iron_Tool: @ImmortalSaiyan: @Beaudacious: @august: @Tennmuerti:

For those of you who said they can't hear the whispering, now you'll never "unhear it" mwahahahahaha..*ahem*:

Go to 00:17:52 of this video: http://www.giantbomb.com/pax-east-2012-giant-bomb-panel/17-5849/

"And he somehow *whispers* finds a way to pull that off..." :P

#33 Posted by ludorverr (67 posts) -

Petty complaint thread? Count me in.

I kind of wish Ryan would just talk... less. I don't hate him, but I've had enough of my fill of Ryan to last a century. If you were to calculate the amount of words each person spoke on the Bombcast I think you'd find that Ryan says the most words every single podcast.

Because he's always the host, and the host of Happy Hour (which I sat down and watched every single one of... SO MUCH RYAN) and he's hosted a lot of TNTs as well.

I know more about what Ryan thinks than anyone. I never asked for this.

#34 Posted by SeanFoster (866 posts) -

Has anyone noticed that they post new Bombcasts on Tuesdays?

#35 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2684 posts) -

It's irritating in the car because you miss it completely.

#36 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@CptBedlam said:

I'm more annoyed at Patrick's habit to express himself with overly long monologues. I just want to listen to people casually talking about games, not to some formal speeches. :-/

Vinny is way more guilty of that then Patrick. Every time it comes Vinny's time to talk about a game, it is literally twenty minutes of pure drivel and like, five minutes of actual worthwhile discussion/opinions. I do not miss him eating up forty-five minutes on the Bombcast taking about Dark Souls. Keep it succinct, duders.
#37 Posted by SarjuTheRapper (279 posts) -
@seanfoster said:

Has anyone noticed that they post new Bombcasts on Tuesdays?

no way
#38 Posted by MEATBALL (3183 posts) -

People on the internet find the weirdest fucking things to complain about.

#39 Posted by Milkman (16638 posts) -

I think that's just the voices in your head.

#40 Posted by SarjuTheRapper (279 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
Sotto voce.
the wikipedia page for that is fuckin awesome
#41 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

@MEATBALL said:

People on the internet find the weirdest fucking things to complain about.

Nah that's actually a really annoying issue with stuff like this. For example a lot Starcraft 2 shoutcaster (shout- not whispercaster) started doing this *whisper mode ENGAGED* a while ago too. It's just stupidly annoying if overdone.

So yeah, maybe if they see it they won't do it as much. None hates people for doing this, but still it would be appreciated if e.g. Patrick could actively try to catch himself doing it and then just gradually stop it.

#42 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@CptBedlam said:

Vinny is way more guilty of that then Patrick. Every time it comes Vinny's time to talk about a game, it is literally twenty minutes of pure drivel and like, five minutes of actual worthwhile discussion/opinions. I do not miss him eating up forty-five minutes on the Bombcast taking about Dark Souls. Keep it succinct, duders.

Couldn't disagree more. And no, Vinny does not go on long monologues where he tries too hard to construct elaborately structured and overly long sentences.

I usually really like the points Patrick makes, I just wish he'd talk in a more casual manner. Well, can't have everything, and Patrick is a great addition to the site, don't get me wrong.

#43 Posted by Legend (2658 posts) -
@Milkman
I think that's just the voices in your head.
@Legend

@Toxeia: @Iron_Tool: @ImmortalSaiyan: @Beaudacious: @august: @Tennmuerti:

For those of you who said they can't hear the whispering, now you'll never "unhear it" mwahahahahaha..*ahem*:

Go to 00:17:52 of this video: http://www.giantbomb.com/pax-east-2012-giant-bomb-panel/17-5849/

"And he somehow *whispers* finds a way to pull that off..." :P

Those whispers are real! They are real I tell you!!!
#44 Posted by fibanachi (32 posts) -

It's one of those things that you hear once and can't stop hearing from there on. Didn't notice what the original poster said but have learnt that Jeff and Brad can't stop saying "like".

#45 Edited by Trilogy (2648 posts) -

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

Nah that's actually a really annoying issue with stuff like this. For example a lot Starcraft 2 shoutcaster (shout- not whispercaster) started doing this *whisper mode ENGAGED* a while ago too. It's just stupidly annoying if overdone.

Yea and the thing I love about Marine king is that he doe- (ohhhh look at this! Here comes the 2 rax all in! ohhhh! will nestea be able to scout it?!)

#46 Posted by Dauragon (554 posts) -

Absolutely thought this was going to be a joke about LOST.

Color me massively disappointed.

#47 Posted by PenguinDust (12491 posts) -

What are they saying? Are they talking about me? They're talking about me, right? I knew they were talking about me.