#1 Posted by Butano (1746 posts) -

For those of you who don't know, Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO) has gone free to play. Has anyone played it or considering about playing it?  
I know there was a F2P MMO group on here that decided on playing Runes of Magic when summer started, but I didn't have time nor the HDD space on my laptop to get into it. 
Now that I have my desktop back, I've been itching to play LOTRO, but as always with MMOs, it's always better with folks you know. Anyone interested?

#2 Posted by griefersstolemykeyboard (359 posts) -

Remember when everyone was like "ye this is gonna dethrone wow finally".

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Butano said:
" For those of you who don't know, Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO) has gone free to play. Has anyone played it or considering about playing it?  I know there was a F2P MMO group on here that decided on playing Runes of Magic when summer started, but I didn't have time nor the HDD space on my laptop to get into it. Now that I have my desktop back, I've been itching to play LOTRO, but as always with MMOs, it's always better with folks you know. Anyone interested? "
The runes of magic thing failed massively And I might start LOTR online again. 
#4 Posted by Heartagram (1182 posts) -

I played it for about a week when it launched. Haven't touched it since then. I need to not buy MMO's

#5 Posted by Jimbo7676 (717 posts) -

It's a great MMO but I spent my time with it and don't feel like going back. The last MMO I played extensively was EVE and I am now on MMO hiatus until The Old Republic.

#6 Posted by Butano (1746 posts) -
@Heartagram: Yea, I was in the beta before it was originally released and haven't touched it since.
#7 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1041 posts) -

I played the free-to-play beta for about two weeks. Yup, I totally rolled with my hobbit homies. It was OK. It lacks, like most MMOs, a compelling story. I'm hoping BioWare isn't full of shite and deliver on that front.

#8 Posted by Jimbo7676 (717 posts) -

I just noticed it is free to play now. I might have to start playing again actually.

#9 Posted by lucifon (26 posts) -

LOTRO is one of the best MMO's out there. But it is very PvE heavy therefore if your looking for a mainly PvP MMO then look elsewhere. It's my second favourite MMO, and I actually just got a fairly cheap 60 day timecard ready for the F2P launch so that I had 2 months of being a VIP yet fantastically Codemasters failed to deliver the EU F2P launch and are now saying it could be delayed as far as a month.  

I redeemed the timecard to jump in and get my character created a couple of days before it went live, but my whole aim in playing was that a couple of buddies would be joining me now that it was F2P. Resulting in me not wanting to spend a month of gametime levelling up a character getting significantly further on than them. Damn you Codemasters ¬_¬'
#10 Posted by Brians (1464 posts) -

I'm gonna try it.

#11 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -

I played it slightly underwhelmed but whatever

#12 Posted by Spoonman671 (4695 posts) -

I'm considering playing it, but I've got a number of games to play through at the moment before I delve into an MMO.  I would like to mess some fools up with my dwarven axe though.

#13 Posted by MichaelBach (887 posts) -

Also played it for a week, good to start with but gets boring pretty fast.

#14 Posted by hilld1985 (50 posts) -
@griefersstolemykeyboard said:
" Remember when everyone was like "ye this is gonna dethrone wow finally". "
No, I dont.

Anyone else?
#15 Posted by armaan8014 (5416 posts) -

I realized that MMOs are not my thing, so no :(

#16 Posted by Sixtey7 (29 posts) -

I think I'm going to have to give this a shot now that's it's free to play.

#17 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1417 posts) -

yeah i was thinking about trying it, i just have to get past the big download and install first.

#18 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@hilld1985 said:
" @griefersstolemykeyboard said:
No, I dont.  Anyone else? "
I do not. Although I do hear people saying The Old Republic might take some people from WoW.
#19 Edited by DougQuaid (1274 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:

" @Butano said:

" For those of you who don't know, Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO) has gone free to play. Has anyone played it or considering about playing it?  I know there was a F2P MMO group on here that decided on playing Runes of Magic when summer started, but I didn't have time nor the HDD space on my laptop to get into it. Now that I have my desktop back, I've been itching to play LOTRO, but as always with MMOs, it's always better with folks you know. Anyone interested? "
The runes of magic thing failed massively And I might start LOTR online again.  "
Runes of Magic was just a terrible game.  You could end up paying more for that crap than you do for several months of WoW. 

I might give LOTRO another go though.  I tried it when it first came out and I thought it was ok, I imagine it's changed quite a bit since then, or at least I hope it has.
#20 Posted by Sixtey7 (29 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @hilld1985 said:
I do not. Although I do hear people saying The Old Republic might take some people from WoW. "
I think there are people saying that about every semi-high profile MMO that comes out. People go try the cool, new mmo, find out that its not exactly the same as WoW, quit and go back to WoW. 
#21 Posted by Bunnyman (213 posts) -

I'm curious to try it out. Worried I will get hooked.

#22 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Sixtey7 said:
" @CL60 said:
" @hilld1985 said:
I do not. Although I do hear people saying The Old Republic might take some people from WoW. "
I think there are people saying that about every semi-high profile MMO that comes out. People go try the cool, new mmo, find out that its not exactly the same as WoW, quit and go back to WoW.  "
I believe in Bioware!
#23 Posted by Chris2KLee (2337 posts) -

I'll give it a whirl. I played the free trial awhile back, and while it didn't knock my socks off it had some interesting things I liked about it.

#24 Posted by MichaelBach (887 posts) -

LORO is free to play, also you can try out Dungeons & Dragons online.. also free to play. They are ok to play for a week or so, but then they become boring.

#25 Posted by DougQuaid (1274 posts) -
@Sixtey7: I think it needs to be significantly different from WoW to be able to even contend with it. 

Remember Warhammer Online?  That was also supposed to dethrone WoW.  It had some very interesting ideas... for it's time.  Go back and try and play it now, it is basically lost in time; it remains pretty much unchanged since the day it was released.

I am at the point where I am just super bored with WoW in general.  It might be because most of my friends in my raid group stopped playing, or that the vast majority of the community now playing that game are similar to the crowd you might find playing MW2, but it's just not what it used to be for me.  I mean I bought Champions Online during the Steam sale this past summer and I really enjoyed my time with it because it wasn't like WoW.  Granted, it was my first super hero MMO. 
#26 Posted by SimbaDoozle (45 posts) -

It's definitely not a WoW killer, wouldn't mind playing it though. Unfortunately there isn't a Mac client.

#27 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

I'd rather keep paying for WoW than play free LOTRO.

#28 Posted by Prolix (188 posts) -

LOTRs Online is lamer version of  WoW reskinned.  With a much smaller community, poor support and everything is unbalanced.   It was never good and I still don't want to play.

Protip: Its not free.  You still have to pay for high level shit.  

#29 Posted by Sixtey7 (29 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @Sixtey7 said:
" @CL60 said:
" @hilld1985 said:
I think there are people saying that about every semi-high profile MMO that comes out. People go try the cool, new mmo, find out that its not exactly the same as WoW, quit and go back to WoW.  "
I believe in Bioware! "
I really hope bioware can pull it off, I really loved the KOTOR games and have high hopes for this MMO (honestly I'd prefer another KOTOR, but if this is the best I can get, I'll take it)
#30 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I enjoyed the hell out of it back in summer 2007. I'm going to play it again with fingers crossed, hoping that the free to play model didn't degrade the userbase. I'm getting bored of WoW, and starting a new character didn't help that at all. 

#31 Posted by Wildfire570 (719 posts) -

I'm downloading the client right now. But the downloading is slow as hell though. I dunno I thought it was cool that they did a LOTR mmo, but now I'm curious now that its Free to Play.