• 127 results
#1 Posted by spyder335 (341 posts) -

what are some of the super popular games that just didnt feel right to you
mine is the mass effect series, i really enjoyed the story for both of them but the actual gameplay i couldnt have cared less about i was truly only slogging through it to get to the next cut scene or dialogue tree

#2 Posted by HistoryInRust (6380 posts) -

Dragon Age, for me. 

I just can't immerse myself in that shit. No idea why, but I was just never interested.
#3 Posted by BeachThunder (12303 posts) -

Yep, Dragon Age as well (this goes for almost every medial fantasy game too). Another is Assassin's Creed - I'm sure they're great, but I just don't really have any interest in playing them :(

#4 Posted by spyder335 (341 posts) -

same with me got the first dragon age was pretty excited it seemed a bit more jade empire (i loved the fuck out of that game)
and a bit less kotor (also good but same as mass effect great story not so combat)

but by the time i was in some ice dungeon area i had  bought like 5 new games and left it behind will probably go back to it one day though

#5 Posted by JakeLogan (222 posts) -

CoD et al.  I was never really amused with "arcade" shooters.  I think the latest SOCOM 4 Beta may have spoiled me for tactical shooting.
#6 Edited by valrog (3671 posts) -

Mass Effect, definitely. And most of the stuff made by Nintendo.

#7 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

Demon Souls, the barrier of entry seems almost mythical to me at this point just through word of mouth. Whether it is difficult or not almost seems irrelevant at this point, my interest has well and truly died down.

#8 Posted by Khann (2907 posts) -

Modern Warfare. The first was alright, but I didn't think it was some masterpiece like most people seem to.

#9 Posted by jking47 (1246 posts) -

call of duty series. Don't quite know why, I was a fan of halo, and I enjoy FPS on the PC (CSS, Quake, etc.) but playing call of duty on xbox just feels boring to me, do not understand the millions upon millions of sales.

#10 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

Gears of War. Just not my type of game at all. Also, Halo.

#11 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -

Pretty much all of the current crop of 'modern' FPS games. I'm sick of every weapon being a hitscan with basically the only differences being rate of fire and reload times. If it uses real life guns I don't give a shit at this point.

#12 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

Mass Effect and call of duty multiplayer.

#13 Posted by The_Grindilow (432 posts) -

Fallout series for me. Loved Elder Scrolls, but I just don't get Fallout, tried so many times to play the damn thing!

Give me Skyrim!

#14 Posted by Foo (20 posts) -

God of war games, 

#15 Posted by Unchained (1089 posts) -
  • Demon's Souls  - which is surprising even to me. Seems like a game tailor-made for me, but it just didn't grab me. Wasn't that it wasn't too difficult, but I just couldn't get into the narrative. 
  • CoD after the first MW. 
  • Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  • Heavy Rain
  • Infamous

Each one I've bought and then shortly after traded in because it was just sitting on my shelf after a few hours (in the case of Demon's Souls, 20 hours) of play. 

#16 Edited by Osaladin (2529 posts) -

Oblivion and the Telltale games. Any fighting game.

Oh and any JRPG, yes, even Persona 4. They are just too god damn slow.
#17 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1789 posts) -

BioShock, Oblivion, and Mario (Any)

#18 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

COD and Dragon Age, though, if I gave the latter my time I'd probably really enjoy it.

#19 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Street Fighter & Mortal Combat - boring.

Starcraft II and Dragon Age - they look great, but im not sophisticated and complex and patient enough to enjoy such slow-paced thoughtful games :(

Mass Effect 3 - ive beaten 1 & 2 in the same month, so i didnt have the impact everyone else had.. great games, but they dont interest me much
#20 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Well, Cossacks...first i fucking loved it then i stoped playing for about 4 years, and today i started again cuz my uncle plays it ever since i installed the game on his PC...i think Cossacks rekindled my love affair with RTS.

#21 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

Dam there's a few, Dragon Age I played, didn't like the mechanics and couldn't see the hype about the story. Mass Effect I never played, and have never had any interest to, nor have I been interested in Bioshock. 

#22 Edited by DrBendo (240 posts) -
Limbo
It was a bland platformer at best. The puzzles were a joke, as they changed type before any of them became challenging in the least. Slap a pretentious art style on it, though, and people will fawn. It would have been a good game if they had let the puzzles progress to the point of some challenge.

Little Big Planet
The game has some nice tools and a well-implemented art style. However, for all of the creative levels that the tools could create, the game just wasn't fun to play. You spend so much time building something, but once it's built, the interest is gone.

Heavy Rain
The interactive movie bullshit was lame fifteen years ago when several short-lived consoles were full of them. Said shit is hardly better now. It was lauded for being such a story-focused game, but it's easy to focus on the narrative when you take out everything that makes it a game. I can watch TV while playing Simon and get pretty much the same effect.

Metal Gear Solid 4
The gamplay : wank ratio was pretty aggravating. The shame is that there would be a halfway decent game there if the pompous dialogue would get the hell out of the way and let you play for more than five minutes at a time.

Fear
I love horror games, but this franchise tends to forget the horror aspect. After every hour or so of corridor shooting, the game throws in a poorly set-up horror sequence for twenty seconds. It felt like they completed a generic shooter and spliced in some token horror in a last-ditch effort to stand out.

There are many other top-tier games that I cannot get into for similar reasons; when half of my time is spent micro-managing uninteresting shit or when a game never takes off the training wheels lest you cramp its style, I loose interest quickly.
#23 Posted by EVO (3932 posts) -

Pretty much every WRPG.

#24 Posted by natetodamax (19217 posts) -

[insert critically acclaimed/popular fighting game here]

#25 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

Oblivion. I came to it late and i suppose too much time had passed. I just couldn't look past the terrible graphics and poor animations. I'm definitely going to play Skyrim when it comes out though, i loved Fallout 3 and Fantasy games in general.

#26 Posted by fontainefellow (171 posts) -

Mass Effect 2. I was shitting my pants in anticipation, counting down the days to it's PS3 release, and then I played the demo...

#27 Posted by fontainefellow (171 posts) -

Also, the Little Big Planet games. The first one looked really good and the idea of creating your own levels was awesome. Then, I got the demo and... well the platforming is just kind of shit, so I didn't get the full game. When sequel came knocking, I was ready to give the controls another chance, but the demo quickly made me look elsewhere for my next purchase.

#28 Posted by Unchained (1089 posts) -
@EVO said:
" Pretty much every WRPG. "
You know I was just thinking of adding "pretty much and jrpg since the snes days" to my list. I love wrpgs, but cannot for the life of me find any interest in jrpgs. 
#29 Edited by Icemael (6356 posts) -

Aw dude. So many of them.

• The Call of Duty series.
  • The Uncharted series.
  • The God of War series.
  • The Mass Effect series.
  • The Metal Gear Solid series.
  • The Silent Hill series.
  • The Final Fantasy series.
  • The Resident Evil series (except Resident Evil 4).
  • The Marvel vs. Capcom series.
  • The Ratchet & Clank series.
  • Limbo, Super Meat Boy, Machinarium and most of the other popular indie stuff.
  • Grand Theft Auto IV and Red Dead Redemption.
  • Dragon Age: Origins.
  • Portal.
  • Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there'd be plenty more if I took some more time to think about it.
#30 Edited by XenoNick (1480 posts) -

I know it's not actually out yet but Portal 2 for me. loved the first but have no intrest in it at all.

@Icemael
said:

" Aw dude. So many of them.

• The Uncharted series.
  • The God of War series.
  • Portal.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there'd be plenty more if I took some more time to think about it.
"

Don't want to sound like a dick but it must suck to not enjoy so many things.
#31 Posted by Oddface (85 posts) -

Anything made by Blizzard, and I feel kinda bad about that since all their games seem incredibly well made and  tuned as close to perfection as you can get. The stats-ness of them and their fantasy and sci-fi aesthetics just doesn't appeal to me.

#32 Posted by OtakuGamer (1283 posts) -

Dragon Age, Starcraft 2, God of War.

I like Fallout but it’s a long game so I end up not playing it all the way though.  

#33 Posted by Raven10 (1888 posts) -
@Icemael said:

• The Uncharted series.
  • The God of War series.
  • Portal.

"
What exactly do you enjoy playing then?
#34 Posted by virtorio (252 posts) -

Bioshock, GTA IV, Heavy Rain

#35 Posted by SMTDante89 (2613 posts) -

Halo.  Most were fun when playing splitscreen multiplayer with friends but that was about it.

#36 Posted by BeachThunder (12303 posts) -
@Raven10 said:
" @Icemael said:

• The Uncharted series.
  • The God of War series.
  • Portal.

"
What exactly do you enjoy playing then? "
Resident Evil 4, duh.
#37 Posted by Unchained (1089 posts) -
@Raven10 said:
What exactly do you enjoy playing then? "
I had to go to his profile to find out for myself. He has a list of favorites. Not a bad list, actually. 
#38 Posted by Icemael (6356 posts) -
@Raven10 said:

" What exactly do you enjoy playing then? "

Lots of stuff. Hell, for most of the stuff I mentioned I could find "counterparts" that I really like:

• The Call of Duty series - The Battlefield series
  • The Uncharted series - Vanquish and Gears of War
  • The God of War series - Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta
  • The Metal Gear Solid series - The Splinter Cell series
  • The Silent Hill series - The Project Zero series
  • The Final Fantasy series - The Tales series
  • The Resident Evil series (except Resident Evil 4) - Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
  • The Marvel vs. Capcom series - The Super Smash Bros. series
  • The Ratchet & Clank series - The Super Mario series
  • Grand Theft Auto IV and Red Dead Redemption - inFamous and Assassin's Creed
#39 Posted by TheBlindChessman (241 posts) -
Gears of War for me.

I played the first one I didn't enjoy it that much, but heard the second was better so I played that too. I just don't get it, I don't know where the fun is.

I love Halo, Killzone, Uncharted and Dead Space, and Gears of War seems to have elements from all of those games, but it just does nothing for me. I don't think it's a bad game, it's just that I can't derive any pleasure from playing it.
#40 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

The F.E.A.R. series for me.

#41 Posted by Gamer_152 (14100 posts) -

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Dragon Age are probably the two biggest candidates in this category for me.

#42 Posted by carlthenimrod (1597 posts) -
@Oddface said:
" Anything made by Blizzard, and I feel kinda bad about that since all their games seem incredibly well made and  tuned as close to perfection as you can get. The stats-ness of them and their fantasy and sci-fi aesthetics just doesn't appeal to me. "
Same here. I admire Blizzard games from a distance.

Other revered series I couldn't get into.

• Metroid
  • Devil May Cry
  • Tekken
  • LittleBigPlanet
#43 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

Fighting games.

When I try to think of a game to put on this list I've either bought it and loved it or refrained myself from buying it in the first place.

#44 Posted by Tobli (149 posts) -

* Bethesda games
* modern fps
* nintendo games
etc.

#45 Posted by chan05 (318 posts) -

Bioshock...played it but didnt click for me at all

#46 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Halo. I don't understand why people like spending hours upon hours in that dumb forge mode.

#47 Posted by buft (3321 posts) -

Any point and click adventure game, i used to enjoy them but i just cant get myself into them again. 

#48 Posted by AuthenticM (3790 posts) -

Fighting games

Dragon Age
World of Warcraft, or any MMO
#49 Posted by Leafhopper (229 posts) -

Pretty much anything by Bioware.
Madden or Sports game in general.

#50 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

All Xbox exclusives save for FM2, Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey and PGR4.

Mass Effect 1, DA:O, the BioShock series, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout NV.