Apparently Microsoft are ambushing Wii U Best Buy events?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EuanDewar

Sorry if its been posted already but this one is just weird, no idea if this is real or not or whatever so, take it at face value.

So basically Nintendo are attempting to (sort of) bring E3 to its fans by putting kiosks with new Wii U games in them at best buys around the US which, personally, I think is a pretty cool move.

However if this article is correct Microsoft are sending representatives to these events to try and convince people waiting in line to play these Wii U games to purchase an Xbox One? Like, straight up sending people there to say "Wii U? Fuck that, hows about an xboooxxxxxx eh?? eh??????".

I dunno Im not as against MS as most people seem to have been recently and I'm not really that bothered by this (in fact I think its kinda funny) but damn if this is real it seems like a bad move considering the kind of press they've been receiving as of late. Whatever though, I'm not here to tell you what to think.

Here's the article beeteedubs: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/06/microsoft-employees-ambush-wii-u-best-buy-events-to-promote-xbox-one/

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Certainly one of the funnier ways for a business to troll the competition.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@video_game_king: it happens all the time. Companies send reps to stores to convert customers.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: it happens all the time. Companies send reps to stores to convert customers.

Damn it. Time to add that to the list of reasons I generally don't like advertising.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

A store near me is hosting one of those Nintendo E3 things. I might investigate for myself one of these days. Depending how long this goes on for. I don't really like going to Best Buy that much.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@video_game_king: I am literally right now looking at a Boars Head *deli meat company" try and talk a person out of buying the store brand and to get Boars Head instead.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ExplodeMode

It seems way overblown. I just keep seeing the same picture of the one guy.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@video_game_king: I am literally right now looking at a Boars Head *deli meat company" try and talk a person out of buying the store brand and to get Boars Head instead.

That Boars Head is pretty good, yo.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@hatking: @hatking:

@mcghee said:

@the_laughing_man said:

That Boars Head is pretty good, yo.

True that, have you ever tried their deli dressing? It'll take your sandwich to god tier.

I think Best Buy is gonna demo some E3 games on Saturday as well, I'd go but they picked a location with the shittiest traffic area in all of Dallas. Screw that.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@the_laughing_man said:

Damn it. Time to add that to the list of reasons I generally don't like advertising.

Yeah, same here. You know, I've never actually had it happen to me or even seen it happen... That's rather pathetic if companies are doing that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@yukoasho said:

@video_game_king said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Yeah, same here. You know, I've never actually had it happen to me or even seen it happen... That's rather pathetic if companies are doing that.

I can't even imagine how effective it is. Is pressuring someone really that effective when you not only risk making them uncomfortable but also risk having this sort of story spread? Regardless of the fact that it's a scummy tactic, whatever impact Microsoft was hoping for, it doesn't seem worth it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King
bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By bigjeffrey

Looks like some dude from a in store Microsoft stores going out or in. I mean those stores do have employee lockers.

From the stuff i've seen the only evidence is that 1 dude's pic and nothing else.

BUT I'M A SHILL.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@hailinel said:

I can't even imagine how effective it is. Is pressuring someone really that effective when you not only risk making them uncomfortable but also risk having this sort of story spread? Regardless of the fact that it's a scummy tactic, whatever impact Microsoft was hoping for, it doesn't seem worth it.

I was about to say, if an MS employee went up to me and said that, not only would I call him an asshole, but I would be as loud as possible stating the faults of their system so that everyone around me heard it.

@hailinel said:

It works a bit differently when the advertiser is a human being within punching range.

Too true! Piss a person off at your own peril.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

At best its prob some random MS employees who happened to be there. You would have to be STUPID as all fuck to send official employees there to troll.

Pachtar_Klepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pachtar_Klepek

You here to demo and purchase a Wii U? Perhaps you'd be interested in this console that isn't currently available?

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john1912 said:

At best its prob some random MS employees who happened to be there. You would have to be STUPID as all fuck to send official employees there to troll.

It's arguable that "stupid as all fuck" is the only strategy Microsoft have in their cards right now.

thugg1280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@mandude said:
@john1912 said:

It's arguable that "stupid as all fuck" is the only strategy Microsoft have in their cards right now.

lol no shit poor guys wtf happen but I don't think this is what's going on but who knows.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MideonNViscera

I went to a participating Best Buy yesterday and they didn't have anything set up, and I couldn't even download my Animal Crossing item.

You here to demo and purchase a Wii U? Perhaps you'd be interested in this console that isn't currently available?

Well, they were already demoing a game that's not currently available haha

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By monkeyking1969

My questions is "Are reps still as terrible as they were when I worked at Electronics Boutique?"

Our Nintendo rep in 1997 was this woman/mother whose experience with video games amounted to skimming all the promotional materials and her kids playing the game in front of her. Oh she tried, but being an Avon Lady or selling Tupperware is different than games she soon figured out.

My memory is that all reps were garbage and did more harm that good. They annoyed the employees who knew more about the product, and customers just want to shop and not be quizzed on why they picked this or that off the rack first. Just tell us what is on the script, drop off the stickers, key fobs, and tee-shirts and then please leave.