• 69 results
robot4me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By robot4me

when i go to the local store (walmart meijers toys R us) there are so many great games I never got around to playing for $15 to $25 dollars on the shelf. I know their is always one or two franchises I will always buy at full price but not every game deserves full price.

Me and my wife were at walmart and she asked why these games were $20 and not full retail. I bought no more heroes 2 wii and elder scrolls oblivion xbox 360 abought a month ago and thought "these are great $20 games, but not great $60 games"

I started to think about how many games I owned that I felt didn't deserve full retail. Do you guys and girls agree with me on the fact that some games are too glitchy or just too short on content to warrent a $60 purchase, but would love the same game at $20 price tag.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By lockwoodx

If new games were worth 60 bucks, nobody would be waiting for Steam sales.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RsistncE

No, obviously not...

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect places to start slashing prices by two-thirds, but I agree that it's silly that all full retail games are sold for the price they are. The quality and amount of content differs greatly from game to game, they can't possibly all be worth the same price tag.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By laserbolts

Obviously we agree with you. Not every game is worth paying 60 bucks for.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By AlexW00d

No.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Back in my day you could get a 40 hour RPG with New Game + for a quarter and have change left over to get a Royal Crown Cola and Moon Pie.

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ketchupp

Worth $60? No. Can be sold for $60? Maybe.

I think if there were no sales and all games were sold at $60 no matter what people would still buy them and developers could stop being so sad about their budgets.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zeforgotten

Nope all new games aren't worth $60 (god I wish they only cost 60 around here) That is why some games are even cheaper than that. I know, crazy right?

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By UnrealDP

No, some are worth more than $60 while others aren't even worth $20, but $60 dollars is a standard and it's good to have standards.

Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Hairy_Fish

Not at all.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Kyreo

No, but I will still pay it for games I really really want.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God no that's one of the many reason I skipped this console generation best decision I ever made PC is so much better but console's still have great games.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RaikohBlade

Bodycount is a great example of a game not worth $60. It has a 3-4 hour, horrible campaign, online multiplayer that doesn't work, and generic co-op gameplay. It's not even worth $20.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By MariachiMacabre

No. Oblivion, however, is totally worth $60 even if the graphics haven't aged well.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By ajamafalous

Absolutely not. 

I personally don't ever pay $60 for my games, because I don't think they're worth it. Once you start getting down into the 20s, then I start getting interested.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By JCTango

I can't justify spending that much on a video game. I remember games costing 30-40 bucks each... I know times have changed since then, but still.. 60 bucks is a lot to plop down on a game for me. I usually wait till they're on sale.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By benjaebe

Obviously not every game will be worth $60, but all the ones I've bought for full price or above I've never been disappointed with.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#19  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Well, no. Of course not. That's why I only buy games I really want for the full $60, and then wait for the price drop on the rest.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By kingzetta

good ones are bad one are not 
BOOM!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Animasta

@kingzetta said:

good ones are bad one are not BOOM!

heavy stuff, bro

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cstrang

I just got dumber for reading this.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kingzetta
@Laketown said:

@kingzetta said:

good ones are bad one are not BOOM!

heavy stuff, bro

well that's really all anyone can say on the topic
Tea_bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tea_bird

Honestly, while most games aren't worth the $60 price tag, I'll gladly play it. I typically get at least 30 hours out of a game, so $2/hr isn't that bad when you think about things like the cost to see a movie.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By blueduck

Don't worry once the industry gets its way and video game rentals, resales are gone console players will find themselves paying 70 bucks a pop for less game play.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Buzzkill said:

If new games were worth 60 bucks, nobody would be waiting for Steam sales.

I love it when the first reply to a thread is everything you need to say.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#27  Edited By Little_Socrates

Depends how much you want to actively support the industry versus passively supporting it; those $20 games are just surplus copies, so the developers and publishers aren't making anything off of those games. In those first six weeks when the game is still $60, they absolutely need those sales.

That said, I definitely think more games could learn from Katamari Damacy, Deadly Premonition, and 3D Dot Game Heroes and the value of launching at less than $60. Katamari was probably the only one of those games that sold gangbusters, but 3D Dot Game Heroes exceeded expectations by six times, so a lower price point can DEFINITELY make someone more interested. In a double-A/triple-A title, I feel like it shows confidence in your product; in order to make more money off a $40 game than one that costs $60, you have to be pretty sure people who play your game are going to tell other people to play it. That, or it shows utter weakness in the knowledge that your game is not as good as the games it's trying to ape; that's why Bodycount and Homefront had to launch at $60.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jimbo

No, the concept of value does not apply to video games.

GodsMistakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GodsMistakeXx

Oblivion is absolutely worth $60, it was 5 years ago and it still is.

And no, it would be nice if games were priced based on their content.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Huey2k2

I love it when people complain about video game prices now forgetting that games used to cost upwards of $100 back in the SNES/Genesis days... and that's not even taking into account inflation.

Games are cheaper now than they have ever been, and yet they are still somehow too expensive.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JoeyRavn

Nope. €30 is the sweet spot for new games for me, everything lower is an added bonus. I can't remember the last time I paid "full price" for a new game. I love Amazon and Steam.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

That's up to person to person and game to game.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cloudenvy

I'd say it depends on how much you enjoy said game. :3

robot4me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By robot4me

I'm just asking what people think because I remember paying $80 or $90 for some n64 games in the nineties. I also think a 8 hour campaign and an ok to great online doesn't cut it. I have a lot of family who live way out in the middle of nowhere who can't get internet and want a good game, but now all you get is a crap campaign that gets you prepared for online or a 6 to 10 hour $60 fail. I don't care how good a story is I will not buy a really short game with no replay value for $60.

robot4me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By robot4me

@Buzzkill: Just remember not everyone likes pc gaming. A lot more people love having a physical copy

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#36  Edited By citizenkane

Like all entertainment mediums, not everything is going to be worth the standard price. But, there are games that are worth well more than $60, like the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@JCTango said:

I can't justify spending that much on a video game. I remember games costing 30-40 bucks each... I know times have changed since then, but still.. 60 bucks is a lot to plop down on a game for me. I usually wait till they're on sale.

I remember N64 games costing anywhere between $50-$80 without a special edition.

NES games cost $30-$80 without a special edition. Remember Jeff talking about how he spent like $80 on Strider when it was released and it was only 2 hours?

Games have always been expensive it's just that prices went down during the PS2 era so when it jumped right back up it was pretty noticeable.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Of course not.

Domeuhlome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Domeuhlome

Only the current year of Madden is worth 60 bro

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By crusader8463

no

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lockwoodx

@robot4me said:

@Buzzkill: Just remember not everyone likes pc gaming. A lot more people love having a physical copy

That's a good point I lose sight of sometimes. To think everyone should be using a PC because it's an intelligent decision in this buyer's market is putting more faith into humanity than it deserves.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BraveToaster

No. Everything is overpriced.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MaddProdigy

@robot4me: I mean no offense man, but that's a fairly pointless question. Obviously all games are not worth $60 dollars, even new, because many of them suck.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By biospank

Not really after all you might get a super duper awesome edition from capcom after the first print of the game. And people like me who don't play games MP there is no point in buying a game for full retail.

I think oblivion is great at 60bucks because its one of the few games I actually played it for more then 200+ hours.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By Jeust

If someone is willing to pay 60$ for a new game, that new game is worth 60$ for them.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Buzzkill said:

@robot4me said:

That's a good point I lose sight of sometimes. To think everyone should be using a PC because it's an intelligent decision in this buyer's market is putting more faith into humanity than it deserves.

Wow. Everyone must have a PC powerful enough to play every game. It's not like there are people out there that can afford a $3000 gaming PC no. It's not like there are games that don't come to PC cause that's impossible. It's not like there aren't any bad console to PC ports. You must be a fucking genius and way smarter than everybody else.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By lockwoodx

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Buzzkill said:

@robot4me said:

Wow. Everyone must have a PC powerful enough to play every game. It's not like there are people out there that can afford a $3000 gaming PC no. It's not like there are games that don't come to PC cause that's impossible. It's not like there aren't any bad console to PC ports. You must be a fucking genius and way smarter than everybody else.

So you were rolling your eyes while you wrote that too? Glad we're on the same page.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CheapPoison

Nope.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By Animasta

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Buzzkill said:

@robot4me said:

I bought a prebuilt computer worth like 800 2 years ago that still plays all modern games on high?

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50  Edited By Yanngc33

No, or this web site wouldn't exist...