Are console preorders still necessary?

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

This is the first time in my life where I'm really excited for a new console generation, and actually might have the disposable income to get something at launch. While Sony still has a ways to go in convincing me, I'm leaning toward maybe getting a PS4. Ideally though I'd like to be able to see some hands on impressions and reivews before purchasing. I know that software preorders for reasons of scarcity have become pointless, but I have no idea what to expect when it comes to hardware. I live in the US, but not in a big city, and I wouldn't mind waiting a few days to get one shipped from online if needed, but I hate black fridays and lining up for stuff. I know it's all speculation at this point, but do you think a preorder would be needed to get a new console close to launch?

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By thatdutchguy

No, they won't sell out like they did with the 360/wii launch.. the economy is way worse, and the consoles will be higher priced than in 2005/06.

Edit: Depends where you live of course. Americans in general have more money to spend,so my guess is they will be sold out in small town america.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I think it could still happen. It all depends on how many of them they get made before launch, and that depends on how soon they announce final specs and everything. If you really want to get one locked in, preordering one through Amazon (if they do console preorders?) would be a good bet, since they don't charge the price until the item ships.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SomeJerk

I'd say yes. Earlier this year Sony was heard having issues getting enough parts (for the first "batch" of 10-14 million units?), and not long ago it a 99% trustworthy for me rumor of MS having yield issues came. Supply will be stretched thin, at least for the PS4.

The MS thing hinted of the machine being designed by rich dudes in suits, not technicians and engineers, and how they struggled to get what they wanted done - everything including esRAM and an extra audio processor on the APU core.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By NoobSauceG7

It depends on where you live and how many units are at each store. Like when the 3DS came out, I was able to walk into the store and get one no preorder. But when the Wii U was coming out, I tried to pre-order one from a lot of my local stores, resorting to getting one a half hour away from where I live. So it really depends I guess on how many are manufactured, sent to the store, and stuff like that. It's always good to be on the safe side too if you know you want something.

andrewf87462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By andrewf87462

Well I waited nearly 6 months (here in the UK), before I was able to purchase a 360, so i'm definitely going down the pre-order route again.

I don't think it will be any where near has bad as last time, but i'm not going to be taking the risk. Although I did have a chuckle at an email I received from Amazon the other day (regarding my Xbox One pre-order), saying "sorry for the delay in your order, but we are currently out of stock"

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#7 gamer_152  Moderator

I'm not going to say you'll definitely need to pre-order that stuff, but I think there's a fair chance it could sell out in your location. Pre-ordering just to be safe seems like a good move.

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't hurt to pre-order it.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd look into pre-ordering if you know for sure you want it. Mostly to avoid any terrible bundle you may have to purchase otherwise.