Are current and next-gen console games developed on PCs?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yes? No? What do you think? No poll. Because the Pulp/Non-Pulp guy ruined it for all of us today. Someone will end up in a physical fight, I bet.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

On PC's? Yes. For PC's? No.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

..Games are developed on PCs yes. Did you think Dev's sat there with a controller developing things?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahaha.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Aren't all games developed on PCs? You'd be hard pressed to code a game with a controller.

Also yeah people don't know how to properly word polls and they come off as kinda dumb and biased. That's not new and will probably never change.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Well they are certainly not developed on Macs.

;)

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Tralse

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

ALL games are developed on PCs.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to Bungie, they develop their games using "Workstations". Jeff said they didn't want to call it a PC when he was there for Destiny. For some reason.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By 71Ranchero

My uncle that works for Sony told me that all future game development for the new platform will be done on a Net Yaroze.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@funkydupe: A "workstation" is just a PC. They didn't want to say it was running on PC because then people would think it was coming to PC.

rpwll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Okay, let's clear this confusion up. Development of console games is predominantly done on PCs, however this doesn't mean the PC is capable of running the result. While PC-based IDEs, debugging tools and compiler toolchains are used, the compiled executable must be linked against the platform's SDK and run on a development kit provided by the platform vendor—for reference an Xbox 360 dev kit is pictured to the right.

Keep in mind I might not have the facts 100% correct here, I'm an iOS / web developer, not a game developer.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@mikkaq said:

Aren't all games developed on PCs? You'd be hard pressed to code a game with a controller.

Well, maybe they could try using Kinect to code via the use of interpretive dance...

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikkaq said:

Well, maybe they could try using Kinect to code via the use of interpretive dance...

Its been done. Thats how they developed Cargo! The Quest for Gravity.

Grand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Grand

Lies. Everyone knows that video games are forged in the fires of MOUNT DOOM, using unicorn tears, leprechaun gold and CHILDREN'S DREAMS as materials. They are then shaped by smashing thousands of innocent nyan cats against them, on an anvil made entirely variations of the words "LOL" and "noob" which was chained into servitude by the powers of failure and mounted on captured trolls on loan from 4chan's /b.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All games ever are developed on PC's.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

The Android SDK has been ported to work on Android devices, so if you were really desperate to make an Android game but didn't want to buy a computer you could do it that way.

But it's not a console, so no.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Funkydupe

So software conceived on a PC, and probably tested and iterated upon a PC throughout the development process can not be played on a PC? That makes sense!

Are all "console only" restrictions simply someone high up in a company saying we do not want this console game to come out on PCs because we need console exclusives to sell our branded hardware - so programmers just add a little bit of code structure there to avoid it ever being possible?

"Uncharted is an action-adventurethird-person shooterplatformvideo game series developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Computer Entertainment for PlayStation consoles"

I'd like to play all games on all systems then. I'd like to choose whether I want to sit in my couch and play using my new PlayStation, or in my room hunchbacked over the keyboard and mouse depending on the game and mood.

Make it so! *waves hands in the air*

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

So software conceived on a PC, and probably tested and iterated upon a PC throughout the development process can not be played on a PC? That makes sense!

Are all "console only" restrictions simply someone high up in a company saying we do not want this console game to come out on PCs because we need console exclusives to sell our branded hardware - so programmers just add a little bit of code structure there to avoid it ever being possible?

"Uncharted is an action-adventurethird-person shooterplatformvideo game series developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Computer Entertainment for PlayStation consoles"

I'd like to play all games on all systems then. I'd like to choose whether I want to sit in my couch and play using my new PlayStation, or in my room hunchbacked over the keyboard and mouse depending on the game and mood.

Make it so! *waves hands in the air*

I'm not entirely sure of your logic. You can write a movie manuscript on sheets of notebook paper, but that doesn't mean you can watch movies on sheets of notebook paper. You're talking about entirely different ecosystems and frameworks between each console, Windows, Linux, OSX. There are very few "write once, run everywhere" languages and I'm not aware of any in the game world.

(Okay, Java is write-once-run-everywhere, except in actual reality.)

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LULZ!

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@funkydupe Think of it this way. Your PC doesn't have a cell chip in it like the PS3. You can still develop PS3 games on the PC but your PC is not capable of running that game because it doesn't have the same kind of processor. So to run the game you have to move it over to the PS3 devkit to run it.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By hawkinson76

While the OP is a little confused, this reminds me of similar issues from my youth: What computer system is used to develop a given console/arcade game. Mostly arguments over the use of the Amiga (Street Fighter 2) or SGI workstations. In hindsight, it was a silly question, and I'm glad it hasn't resurfaced.