#1 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

[The pictures are blurry, my iPhone camera took a crap after skiing with it so much this winter and I didn't have anything else handy when I took these to put on eBay]

So I recently put my copies of Final Fantasy VII and IX up on eBay. Both were practically new with all the documentation in mint condition. I started the bidding at $10 and put a buy it now for $60 (saw copies of Final Fantasy VII going in the $30-50 range).

I hadn't been paying much attention to the auction and in the end it sold for like $13.25 total..... Ouch. I mean I don't care because I haven't had a Playstation or even PS2 in like 8 years, but I expected to get a bit more out of it. I think I paid $20 each when I bought them back in high school. I'm guessing being greatest hits versions means they were mass produced and collector's prefer the original versions, but they're still worth having if you happen to have a Playstation in my opinion.

#2 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Way too many copies of that game sold for it to be rare.

#3 Posted by mwng (920 posts) -

The case looks a little broken and it's a greatest hits version. Just to sound like an ebay snob. Now if you had a sealed copy...

#4 Edited by Chaser324 (6263 posts) -

Without looking into it, I can't imagine why they would be all that valuable. They were both extremely popular games and continued to sell reasonably well long after their initial release, so there's likely a tremendous number of copies out there.

Also, that isn't even an original copy of FFVII. It's a Greatest Hits copy. Serious collectors aren't down with that.

You also didn't do yourself any favors by using those extremely blurry photos.

#5 Edited by EXTomar (4450 posts) -

FF9 came out in the twilight/transition period between PSX and PS2. I remember one of the first games I played on my PS2 was FF9.

FF8 on the other hand I always thought was prettier but way flimsier than all of the other era FF games.

#6 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

The games are readily available through digital services for pretty cheap. Only serious collectors would care about having physical versions and the popularity of these games mean that they're pretty abundant. Platinum/Greatest Hits versions are also worth zilch to said collectors.

#7 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

You can buy both versions on Ps3 for 9.99. And they had a sale last month, for half off.

#8 Edited by MikkaQ (10263 posts) -

Well those games are so common that I can still get them new for like 30 bucks each, so yeah.

#9 Posted by Svenzon (711 posts) -

FF7 used to be sort of valuable for a short while, but nowadays you can buy it cheap again. A friend of mine sold one of his copies on a Swedish auction site for around 700 SEK back in '05 or something like that.

#10 Posted by Hunter5024 (5508 posts) -

Before they went on PSN either game would've gone for at least 20. Now copies of FF9 aren't worth very much at all, and 7 is only worth money if its black label or sealed.

#11 Edited by Superkenon (1353 posts) -

Yeah, the games aren't rare enough to have much collector value -- I image especially for the reprinted editions. And for anyone who just wants to play them, there's the ever-available $10 PSN option.

You sold them for about all you could hope for, sadly.

#12 Posted by kerse (2100 posts) -

The games are readily available through digital services for pretty cheap. Only serious collectors would care about having physical versions and the popularity of these games mean that they're pretty abundant. Platinum/Greatest Hits versions are also worth zilch to said collectors.

This and also its an opened copy.

#13 Edited by Jay_Ray (1069 posts) -

I remember 7-9 years ago copies of FFVII, VIII, and IX could cost $60+ each for non Greatest Hits versions but that time has passed. Popular titles from previous eras are now available digitally or being remade and updated so only collectors really grab these old hard copies and most of those collectors have these popular titles.

#14 Edited by Petiew (1322 posts) -

People that just want to play the game can download it off the PSN or SE's site. Collectors that want the game aren't interested in greatest hits versions. I don't imagine original versions are even that valuable either.

I think people really over estimate the value/rarity of FF7. There's someone on Amazon trying to sell the broken as hell PC copy for almost $200, when it can be downloaded for like $10 on the SE site.

#15 Edited by Maginnovision (483 posts) -

I have the original ps1 discs, and a pc copy with box and everything, but I don't try to sell them because they've never seemed worth that much. I'd probably get more for one of my sealed boxes of 4th edition magic cards.

#16 Posted by Clonedzero (4045 posts) -

the only things worth alot of money are things not massively produced. a shitty game that only had one run of production, got awful reviews and its super buggy and almost unplayable will be worth more money in 20 years than say....red dead redemption.

FF7 is probably the biggest final fantasy game there ever was. i mean i have a pristine copy of FF7 including the manual, its not worth shit.

#17 Edited by Veektarius (4540 posts) -

People are talking about the specific popularity of FFVII and FFIX here, but something Jeff has said repeatedly is that almost any game that went into wide release in the 90s or later is not useful as a collector's item.

Hey by the way, they were advertising a PC version of FF7 recently. is that still going to be a thing? I used to have a copy but threw it out after discovering it was basically impossible to run on a modern PC.

#18 Posted by Kaiserreich (681 posts) -

@veektarius: They already released it. It wasn't very good from what I heard.

#19 Edited by Petiew (1322 posts) -

Hey by the way, they were advertising a PC version of FF7 recently. is that still going to be a thing? I used to have a copy but threw it out after discovering it was basically impossible to run on a modern PC.

It came out quite a while ago. You can buy it here, digital only though. It's nothing special, you might want to read how to swap the soundtrack as well, since the version they use in this is odd.

#20 Edited by spiceninja (3055 posts) -

I would never pay that much for a used physical copy especially since they're available for $10 as a download on PSN. Those who would want a physical copy wouldn't buy it for that price either since the case looks broken and it's a Greatest Hits copy.

#21 Edited by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

People don't like rolling the dice on sellers they don't know. I would buy a game for $30 from a trusted seller over a random seller with less feedback for $15.

But yea, its been said but collectors don't want Greatest Hits copies..

Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden II, Tomba.. now those are rare.

#22 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2529 posts) -

Those games sold tens of millions of copies, they will never be worth a red cent. Most games made today are worthless...the aluminum in the disc is worth more. If you want a valuable game look for something that had very few copies pressed. But, such games today are typically shovelware and they suck. A good game will be pressed millions of times or at least hundreds of thousands of times, thus it is worthless as a collectors item almost instantly.

#23 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Greatest Hits copy, nuff said.

#24 Posted by Veektarius (4540 posts) -

@petiew: @kaiserreich: I might get it anyway. Not as if there's something better to wait for. Thanks!

#25 Edited by Fattony12000 (6960 posts) -

Yeah, there's around 10 million physical copies of FF7 in the world these days, so...

Also, you can NOT put pictures like that up on eBay, Jesus Christ.

And good goddamn, you guys even manage to fuck up 'greatest hits' covers!

#26 Edited by BisonHero (6051 posts) -

@fattony12000: Whatever, that camera lens is clean as a whistle. *rolls eyes*

I still can't tell if jdh5153 is sincerely clueless and oblivious, or a long term elaborate parody/troll account.

Either way, I don't take him seriously.

#27 Edited by Icemo (640 posts) -

Holding on to my black label FFVII, selling it in 2063 for million gils.

#28 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Yeah, there's around 10 million physical copies of FF7 in the world these days, so...

Also, you can NOT put pictures like that up on eBay, Jesus Christ.

And good goddamn, you guys even manage to fuck up 'greatest hits' covers!

Yeah I figured the pictures would deter some people. I didn't get my Sony CyberShot that I ordered to replace using my iPhone as a camera until a few days ago and my iPad wasn't handy when I posted the stuff on eBay.

At least someone will get some use out of the games rather than have them sit on my shelf taking up space. I would've just mailed them to my little brother but he's not really into RPGs. Oh well, after eBay and Paypal take their cut I figure I'll have $10...haha

#29 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Neither of those games are worth any money at all.

If you perhaps had a sealed non re-release copy, then maybe. But you don't so who cares.

#30 Edited by Ducksworth (659 posts) -

Unless it's mint or sealed, it wont go for a whole lot. You could have gotten a bit more if you had black label but even then you might get just a bit more than the cost of a new game.

#31 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I bought my Greatest Hits copy of Final Fantasy VII for $10 at Play N Trade. They're too numerous and popular to be as valuable as you thought they were.

#32 Posted by Nictel (2364 posts) -

I don't think any standard game made after the PS1 launch is rare. If the game was popular then lots of copies are around. If not, then nobody cares enough to spend a large sum of money on such a game.

#33 Edited by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

Like others have said, unless it's blackdisc, not really worth much, still good to have though.

I have a blackdisc copy I bought on release day, still works, scratched to hell though. Also have a sealed copy on PC wish is worth a bit.
I would just keep them, if you have any sentimental attachment to them of course

#34 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1079 posts) -

I sold an unopened, non-GH covered copy of Final Fantasy VII for $50 a year ago. Opened, it is maybe $35. There are not a lot of rare titles that command a lot of money from the PlayStation family of systems unless they are some of the really popular titles in their original black disc/packaging form.

#35 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5178 posts) -

VII sold a fuckton; though it does seem to be worth "something" as is the demo disc for it. IX isn't really that popular of a game and I imagine it still sold reasonably well; certainly isn't rare by any stretch.

@drdarkstryfe: Sure there are, Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile, Xenogears, Vandal Hearts 2, and every other game that starts with a V or X from the PS1 are all worth a fair amount. Also Team Buddies.

#36 Posted by Fattony12000 (6960 posts) -