Are Final Fantasy VII and IX really not that valuable?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jdh5153

[The pictures are blurry, my iPhone camera took a crap after skiing with it so much this winter and I didn't have anything else handy when I took these to put on eBay]

So I recently put my copies of Final Fantasy VII and IX up on eBay. Both were practically new with all the documentation in mint condition. I started the bidding at $10 and put a buy it now for $60 (saw copies of Final Fantasy VII going in the $30-50 range).

I hadn't been paying much attention to the auction and in the end it sold for like $13.25 total..... Ouch. I mean I don't care because I haven't had a Playstation or even PS2 in like 8 years, but I expected to get a bit more out of it. I think I paid $20 each when I bought them back in high school. I'm guessing being greatest hits versions means they were mass produced and collector's prefer the original versions, but they're still worth having if you happen to have a Playstation in my opinion.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Way too many copies of that game sold for it to be rare.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The case looks a little broken and it's a greatest hits version. Just to sound like an ebay snob. Now if you had a sealed copy...

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Without looking into it, I can't imagine why they would be all that valuable. They were both extremely popular games and continued to sell reasonably well long after their initial release, so there's likely a tremendous number of copies out there.

Also, that isn't even an original copy of FFVII. It's a Greatest Hits copy. Serious collectors aren't down with that.

You also didn't do yourself any favors by using those extremely blurry photos.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EXTomar

FF9 came out in the twilight/transition period between PSX and PS2. I remember one of the first games I played on my PS2 was FF9.

FF8 on the other hand I always thought was prettier but way flimsier than all of the other era FF games.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The games are readily available through digital services for pretty cheap. Only serious collectors would care about having physical versions and the popularity of these games mean that they're pretty abundant. Platinum/Greatest Hits versions are also worth zilch to said collectors.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

You can buy both versions on Ps3 for 9.99. And they had a sale last month, for half off.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By MikkaQ

Well those games are so common that I can still get them new for like 30 bucks each, so yeah.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

FF7 used to be sort of valuable for a short while, but nowadays you can buy it cheap again. A friend of mine sold one of his copies on a Swedish auction site for around 700 SEK back in '05 or something like that.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Before they went on PSN either game would've gone for at least 20. Now copies of FF9 aren't worth very much at all, and 7 is only worth money if its black label or sealed.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Superkenon

Yeah, the games aren't rare enough to have much collector value -- I image especially for the reprinted editions. And for anyone who just wants to play them, there's the ever-available $10 PSN option.

You sold them for about all you could hope for, sadly.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The games are readily available through digital services for pretty cheap. Only serious collectors would care about having physical versions and the popularity of these games mean that they're pretty abundant. Platinum/Greatest Hits versions are also worth zilch to said collectors.

This and also its an opened copy.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By jay_ray

I remember 7-9 years ago copies of FFVII, VIII, and IX could cost $60+ each for non Greatest Hits versions but that time has passed. Popular titles from previous eras are now available digitally or being remade and updated so only collectors really grab these old hard copies and most of those collectors have these popular titles.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Petiew

People that just want to play the game can download it off the PSN or SE's site. Collectors that want the game aren't interested in greatest hits versions. I don't imagine original versions are even that valuable either.

I think people really over estimate the value/rarity of FF7. There's someone on Amazon trying to sell the broken as hell PC copy for almost $200, when it can be downloaded for like $10 on the SE site.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By maginnovision

I have the original ps1 discs, and a pc copy with box and everything, but I don't try to sell them because they've never seemed worth that much. I'd probably get more for one of my sealed boxes of 4th edition magic cards.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the only things worth alot of money are things not massively produced. a shitty game that only had one run of production, got awful reviews and its super buggy and almost unplayable will be worth more money in 20 years than say....red dead redemption.

FF7 is probably the biggest final fantasy game there ever was. i mean i have a pristine copy of FF7 including the manual, its not worth shit.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By veektarius

People are talking about the specific popularity of FFVII and FFIX here, but something Jeff has said repeatedly is that almost any game that went into wide release in the 90s or later is not useful as a collector's item.

Hey by the way, they were advertising a PC version of FF7 recently. is that still going to be a thing? I used to have a copy but threw it out after discovering it was basically impossible to run on a modern PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@veektarius: They already released it. It wasn't very good from what I heard.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Petiew

Hey by the way, they were advertising a PC version of FF7 recently. is that still going to be a thing? I used to have a copy but threw it out after discovering it was basically impossible to run on a modern PC.

It came out quite a while ago. You can buy it here, digital only though. It's nothing special, you might want to read how to swap the soundtrack as well, since the version they use in this is odd.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20  Edited By spiceninja

I would never pay that much for a used physical copy especially since they're available for $10 as a download on PSN. Those who would want a physical copy wouldn't buy it for that price either since the case looks broken and it's a Greatest Hits copy.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By George_Hukas

People don't like rolling the dice on sellers they don't know. I would buy a game for $30 from a trusted seller over a random seller with less feedback for $15.

But yea, its been said but collectors don't want Greatest Hits copies..

Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden II, Tomba.. now those are rare.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By monkeyking1969

Those games sold tens of millions of copies, they will never be worth a red cent. Most games made today are worthless...the aluminum in the disc is worth more. If you want a valuable game look for something that had very few copies pressed. But, such games today are typically shovelware and they suck. A good game will be pressed millions of times or at least hundreds of thousands of times, thus it is worthless as a collectors item almost instantly.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mrsignerman44

Greatest Hits copy, nuff said.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@petiew: @kaiserreich: I might get it anyway. Not as if there's something better to wait for. Thanks!

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fattony12000

Yeah, there's around 10 million physical copies of FF7 in the world these days, so...

Also, you can NOT put pictures like that up on eBay, Jesus Christ.

And good goddamn, you guys even manage to fuck up 'greatest hits' covers!

No Caption Provided

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BisonHero

@fattony12000: Whatever, that camera lens is clean as a whistle. *rolls eyes*

I still can't tell if jdh5153 is sincerely clueless and oblivious, or a long term elaborate parody/troll account.

Either way, I don't take him seriously.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Icemo

Holding on to my black label FFVII, selling it in 2063 for million gils.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, there's around 10 million physical copies of FF7 in the world these days, so...

Also, you can NOT put pictures like that up on eBay, Jesus Christ.

And good goddamn, you guys even manage to fuck up 'greatest hits' covers!

No Caption Provided

Yeah I figured the pictures would deter some people. I didn't get my Sony CyberShot that I ordered to replace using my iPhone as a camera until a few days ago and my iPad wasn't handy when I posted the stuff on eBay.

At least someone will get some use out of the games rather than have them sit on my shelf taking up space. I would've just mailed them to my little brother but he's not really into RPGs. Oh well, after eBay and Paypal take their cut I figure I'll have $10...haha

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither of those games are worth any money at all.

If you perhaps had a sealed non re-release copy, then maybe. But you don't so who cares.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ducksworth

Unless it's mint or sealed, it wont go for a whole lot. You could have gotten a bit more if you had black label but even then you might get just a bit more than the cost of a new game.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought my Greatest Hits copy of Final Fantasy VII for $10 at Play N Trade. They're too numerous and popular to be as valuable as you thought they were.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't think any standard game made after the PS1 launch is rare. If the game was popular then lots of copies are around. If not, then nobody cares enough to spend a large sum of money on such a game.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By RandomHero666

Like others have said, unless it's blackdisc, not really worth much, still good to have though.

I have a blackdisc copy I bought on release day, still works, scratched to hell though. Also have a sealed copy on PC wish is worth a bit.
I would just keep them, if you have any sentimental attachment to them of course

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sold an unopened, non-GH covered copy of Final Fantasy VII for $50 a year ago. Opened, it is maybe $35. There are not a lot of rare titles that command a lot of money from the PlayStation family of systems unless they are some of the really popular titles in their original black disc/packaging form.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fredchuckdave

VII sold a fuckton; though it does seem to be worth "something" as is the demo disc for it. IX isn't really that popular of a game and I imagine it still sold reasonably well; certainly isn't rare by any stretch.

@drdarkstryfe: Sure there are, Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile, Xenogears, Vandal Hearts 2, and every other game that starts with a V or X from the PS1 are all worth a fair amount. Also Team Buddies.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for justinamazingone
Justinamazingone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Justinamazingone

Nobody here knows anything about worth, Final Fantasy VII unopened can fetch you about 65 to 115 dollars, Final Fantasy VIII can fetch you about 60 to 110 dollars, Final Fantasy IX unopened can fetch you 50 to 100 Dollars, I just sold an unopened Legend of Dragoon and an Unopened Star Ocean The Second Story at a game auction for 300 Dollars, I just bought Final Fantasy VII,Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy X, Arc The Lad the whole series, Chrono Cross at a garage sale for 25 bucks every game was brand new never opened the people selling them didn't know how much they were worth they sold them all together for 25 bucks, I also bought a PS1 Console at the garage sale with attached Sony LCD screen, 4 controllers, and 3 memory cards 2 were original memory cards and the 3rd memory card was an interact 2x memory card for 15 bucks.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6