#1 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -
  • Slender
  • Annna
  • Amnesia
  • Candles
  • Grey
  • Cry of Fear

Lately we have been seeing tons of first person horror games, either as mods or small PC titles. It has gotten to a point where I sometimes have trouble keeping all of them straight. It this style of game becoming cliched or do you think this is the new direction that horror games need to take?

#2 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2008 posts) -

I don't think that's either a long or low-quality list at all; I'd only argue if certain games are becoming tired if there's more and more games of the type coming out with lower and lower quality. We haven't seen that happen to these kinds of games as we have other genres at all.

Not only that, but I'm actually looking forward to more games of these type coming out, so I can't fathom how they're becoming tired.

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (11716 posts) -

@Rainbowkisses said:

• Slender
  • Annna
  • Amnesia
  • Candles
  • Grey
  • Cry of Fear

Lately we have been seeing tons of first person horror games, either as mods or small PC titles. It has gotten to a point where I sometimes have trouble keeping all of them straight. It this style of game becoming cliched or do you think this is the new direction that horror games need to take?

Nnnno.

I've nnnever even heard of Candles or Grey. You forgot Outlast though.

Annnyway, personnnally, I thinnnk that first-person is the best way to present a horror game.

#4 Edited by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

They aren't for me because I've only played one of those games. Horror game concepts may be becoming trite though I don't think the perspective matters.

#5 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I'll say that if the examples other than Slender or Amnesia match up to those games in terror level, I'm done with the genre. They're absolutely too much for me.

#6 Posted by Freshbandito (656 posts) -

Short answer: No

Long answer: 6 games that you can mention that people are showing a great deal of interest in and the fact that a good chunk of them play differently does not in any way seem to indicate market saturation or the market's weariness for horror done in the first person. Within the first person horror wheelhouse you can have games like amnesia which are heavily story driven and focus on physics puzzles and avoiding enemies, then you have cry of fear which is a straight up shooter with a horror bent, Slender which is a short sharp objective run against a predatory threat.

Now if your question was "are there too many slender based games?" then you'd have something, too many people jumping on that wagon, but to say "are first person horror games becoming tired?" is too broad when such different things are being done in the genre.

#7 Posted by Hunkulese (2656 posts) -

Slender is barely a game let alone something you can put forth as an example the the genre is over saturated.