• 125 results
#51 Edited by lordgodalming (164 posts) -
@shagge said:

The idea of having thousands of books in my hand was just too tempting to ignore, though.

Guh. No kidding. I never wanted a Kindle...until I tried out my wife's. That thing is a dangerous, dangerous machine.

Edit: The Kindle is dangerous. Not my wife. Just so we're all clear.

#52 Edited by Jams (2959 posts) -

I got into reading after high school. Though I've haven't read much in a while, I got to a point where I was reading like 10 books in a row (from the same series to catch up). Don't think I've read anything (or finished anything rather) in a couple of months.

Edit: I should say that the first books that turned me from a person who scoffed at reading books to loving them were A.C. Crispin The Hand Solo Trilogy. Then on the Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files. Never finished a book before the first Han Solo book. So I feel it was a pretty positive change in my life going from non book reader to book reader.

#53 Posted by lordgodalming (164 posts) -

@lordgodalming said:

@blu3v3nom07: Thanks a lot! I wish I were popular enough for my books to be in your library so you could read them for free! And regarding Tobias Buckell, his own original series of books is what he calls "Carribbean steampunk." Really unique stuff.

Aah, I've fallen out with libraries. I don't like that they never changed since my 6th grade. Like watching everyone be there for 'coolmathgames.com' depresses me. And seeing shitty people I knew from high-school, ahh..

Anyway uhm, I saw that your 'Leon' book is $4 on Kindle. Totally good enough for me! I liked that your cover looks like the old 1970 'Hobbit' cover. And uh, 'Dragon Warrior, sure.

But Tobias: 'Caribbean Steampunk,' you say? It sounds like 'Treasure Planet,' to me, which is fine. I would definitely check it out, though.

Great! Kindle is a fantastic system because books cost about a third of what they do in stores, and usually writers make more money per Kindle sale than on physical copies. Plus, convenient! Anyway, thanks very much, I hope you enjoy it.

#54 Posted by sub_o (811 posts) -

I read, but I have hard time reading fiction, maybe because I'm not imaginative enough.

But I read many non-fictions, especially biographies, economics, psychology, and scientific books. Somehow I can relate to those non-fiction more.

It's okay, I use movies and games to supplement me with fictions.

#55 Posted by lordgodalming (164 posts) -

I read, but you also have to remember that you're not going to get a proper overview of gamers' reading habits by asking this question to the users here, or probably even by asking it on gaming websites in general.

Not quite sure what you mean here. In your opinion, do people who visit and participate in gaming website discussions read more or less than the average gamer?

#56 Edited by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

I love stories regardless of what package they come in. If the story is good I will read, play, watch it or whatever the medium requires. That said I do not read as much as I would like, though I do love to write sometimes and if the book is good I wiz through that thing as fast as possible.

PS: Any examples of your work?

#57 Posted by lordgodalming (164 posts) -

I love stories regardless of what package they come in. If the story is good I will read, play, watch it or whatever the medium requires. That said I do not read as much as I would like, though I do love to write sometimes and if the book is good I wiz through that thing as fast as possible.

PS: Any examples of your work?

I am the same way. Book, movie, game, Tweet--whatever medium tells a good story. Anyway, I don't want to get flagged for posting a link to my books, but you can see free samples and other content here http://www.andreswartley.com/

#58 Posted by theManUnknown (147 posts) -

I would definitely say I am. My interests are basically programming, gaming, and reading. I haven't been a regular watcher of TV or Movies for a very long time. When it comes to videogames I basically play really dumb games with no plot worth a care in the world (e.g. Team Fortress 2 all the way down to Super Hexagon), or (typically indie) games attempting something different interesting with their narratives (e.g. Dear Ester, Kentucky Route Zero). When it comes to reading I predominantly stick contemporary literary fiction and older, classic works—at the moment I'm working my way through a collection of short works by Haruki Murakami, a few of Lovecraft's short stories, and my second read-through of The Great Gatsby—as well as any sort of interesting essays I can find online (btw longform.com and longreads.com are amazing websites if you haven't heard of them before).

So yeah, gaming and reading are basically the two hobbies I have.

#59 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

I read, mainly sci-fi and biographical stuff, but I'll read in like binges. I'll go several months just tearing through books and then the rest of the year not picking a book up. I have a real bad habit of getting about 100 pages into a book...and then just stopping. Either I seemingly become bored or get distracted and by the time I get back to the book, I feel like I have to start from the beginning again and just get too lazy to do so. And it's not even the book's fault, I got 100 pages into Mona Lisa Overdrive(big Neuromancer fan) and then just stopped, picked it back up a few months later, absolutely loved it.

Short answer: I try.

#60 Edited by CornBREDX (4755 posts) -

I read, when I have time. I don't have a lot of time to read books anymore, and when I do I never know what to buy. It's hard to figure out what books are good. I always end up turning to old literature. For me you can never go wrong that way. I do feel I always miss out on good stuff though.

I would highly disagree with the remarks you got (they don't surprise me, though). There are plenty of gamer oriented books that sell- although it's quite possible it's only historically significant ones and ones based around certain franchises.

If you think your book is worth publishing, and you cant get a publisher that wants it, you could always consider self publishing. It's quite easy to do these days- assuming that doesn't step on anybodys toes (I don't know how that would affect your standing with publishers or your agent or whatever).

#61 Posted by Mofaz (45 posts) -

Literature and film is quantitatively better than videogames when it comes to entertainment that's actually worth a shit beyond simplistic and shallow fun, so yes I do, when I actually feel like experiencing something of cultural worth, that is.

#62 Posted by HurricaneIvan29 (527 posts) -

Nope. I like the interactivity of the games with the stories. I also don't like the slow pace of books.

#63 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

I'm not a "gamer" but I do play games and read, yes.

#64 Edited by lordgodalming (164 posts) -

@cornbredx said:

I read, when I have time. I don't have a lot of time to read books anymore, and when I do I never know what to buy. It's hard to figure out what books are good. I always end up turning to old literature.

Four words: Tess of the D'Urburvilles. Terrible old "classic." I know what you mean, though.

If you think your book is worth publishing, and you cant get a publisher that wants it, you could always consider self publishing.

Self-publishing is a wonderful, if double-edged, tool that I am proud to have used already in my career. It's almost a rebirth of the indie scene that gave us people like Jack Kerouac and Kurt Vonnegut in the 60s, but at the same time, it is so affordable and widespread that you never know how hard the author has worked to provide professional-level quality. Even so, my editor, who has been in publishing for over 40 years, believes self-publishing will soon overturn the big publishers, mostly due to their reliance on cookbooks and ghost-written celebrity memoirs.

The real probelm with self-publishing is that being a commercial-quality writer isn't good enough. You must also be (or hire) a relentless marketer to make your product visible. Which brings us back to the original issue, which is that big publishers seem to believe gamers aren't worth marketing to unless you have a franchise behind you like Halo.

#65 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

I'm not a gamer but I play video games, and I certainly read books but I would never call myself a 'reader'

#66 Posted by MightyDuck (1490 posts) -

Definitely. I tend to go in spurts though. I just finished 3 books the past couple of weeks, and then I'll go a couple months before picking up the next book.

#67 Edited by lordgodalming (164 posts) -

@you_died said:

I'm not a gamer but I play video games, and I certainly read books but I would never call myself a 'reader'

Interesting. Several people have made the distinction that they play games but are not gamers. Evidently the term gamer has taken on negative connotations that I did not know about. Don't mean to offend. Thanks for replying.

#68 Edited by ShaggE (6296 posts) -

@shagge said:

The idea of having thousands of books in my hand was just too tempting to ignore, though.

Guh. No kidding. I never wanted a Kindle...until I tried out my wife's. That thing is a dangerous, dangerous machine.

Haha, good save.

I do have one issue with the Kindle/Amazon though (a personal one that may very well be a freak case), and that's the incredible difficulty in dealing with a formatting/display error on their service. An e-book I had published through Amazon came out woefully garbled. Readable, but filled with weird spacing, and chapter illustrations mangled beyond recognition. Not a problem on it's own, these things happen, but trying to work with Amazon to get the issue fixed was an absolute mess. To this day I'm not sure if it has ever been fixed (it was a four man project, and it stopped selling worth any sort of damn a long time ago, so hands have been washed of the situation).

#69 Posted by stitchywitch (1 posts) -

I read quite a bit, especially fantasy and non-fiction. Right now I'm in school, so I don't have as much time to read things that aren't textbook. Gaming is my stress release, so I'm probably doing that more, but I'd definitely call myself a reader!

#70 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

I don't understand why novels are so popular. Nonfiction books seem like the only books worth reading imo.

#71 Edited by Gruebacca (487 posts) -

Not very often. The reading I do mainly consists of news articles, a few certain blogs and twitter feeds, and whatever the college wants me to read for my classes. I'm not the kind of guy to search for random books like candy.

For my personal enjoyment, I have only read Killing is Harmless, The Things They Carried, and Brave New World (the book, not the Civ V expansion) so far this year. I plan to read Moneyball this summer.

#72 Posted by lordgodalming (164 posts) -

@shagge said:

@lordgodalming said:
@shagge said:

Haha, good save.

I do have one issue with the Kindle/Amazon though (a personal one that may very well be a freak case), and that's the incredible difficulty in dealing with a formatting/display error on their service. An e-book I had published through Amazon came out woefully garbled. Readable, but filled with weird spacing, and chapter illustrations mangled beyond recognition. Not a problem on it's own, these things happen, but trying to work with Amazon to get the issue fixed was an absolute mess. To this day I'm not sure if it has ever been fixed (it was a fo ur man project, and it stopped selling worth any sort of damn a long time ago, so hands have been washed of the situation).

This is a surprisingly common problem. There are dudes whose whole job it is to format books for Kindle. I did a lot of trial and error before I got my stuff looking *okay*.

#73 Edited by Sinusoidal (1263 posts) -

Lately, I spend more time reading than gaming. But that changes from time to time. I have an obscene number of time-consuming hobbies that require careful balancing and more free time than I actually have. Right now I'm about halfway through the Dune series, just finished watching Basilisk, 1/4 of the way into Tomb Raider, heavily into a piece of music and 3D animation I'm working on (that might never even be finished at this rate) and 3/4s of the way through Earthbound on my phone. And even then, I spent much of my free time today playing guitar.

#74 Posted by mikey87144 (1649 posts) -

I think so. Gamers do a ton of reading during in a lot of games so I wouldn't be surprised if more than most read.

#75 Posted by TobbRobb (4554 posts) -

It comes and goes. When I was younger I used to read more than I played games, went through 500 page books in a day or two. That kind stopped when I got around to using the internet more though, I get a lot of my reading fix from articles/blogs/stories or just general chatting/forums. For the last 6 years or so I only get around to bingereading a book or series over a few days like once or twice a year. Never really casually reading.

#76 Posted by AlisterCat (5470 posts) -

Are gamers moviers?

#77 Posted by crcruz3 (249 posts) -

I read books and play games every day.

#78 Posted by BaneFireLord (2908 posts) -

Oh yeah, totally. I don't do as much recreational reading as I used to, now that I'm in college, but I still do quite a bit of it. With perhaps one exception, all my gamer friends read, too. I wanna know what statistics your agent is looking at that gives him/her that opinion.

#79 Edited by Sursh (243 posts) -

yes, i love books, i love writing and i love games. sci-fi fits into all those accounts.

generic question because i'm curious: favorite author that isn't stephen king?

#80 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2535 posts) -

I am a lifelong gamer, reader, and writer. When I was a kid I spent my summer evenings either stretched out on the couch with a sci-fi novel, or on my dad’s PC playing Lucasarts adventure games. So here’s my question: are other gamers readers?

I’ve been writing books for a good ten years now—a few of them good enough to publish—and my newest book is actually about a gamer. The feedback I've gotten from agents and publishers is, “Great story, but there’s no market for it because gamers don't read.”

To which I say, REALLY? I am a gamer and a reader. My friends are gamers and readers. What am I missing? Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I can think about about seven books about gamers/virtual reality that have been very popular in the last three or four years, and those are only the ones I know/read. I'm a librarian and in my system alone over the past 10 years there have been about 26 books about games, gamers, or computerized virtual realities. "Ready Player One" being the best know, but certainly not the only one that sold well by a long shot. The subjects is hot enough that some of the earliest virtual reality books, like Snow Crash, are being republished with new covers and big pushes in bookstores.

I think the publishers you are talking to are out of their minds. I would try other publishers.

#81 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (529 posts) -

I used to read a lot. Being in college, however, has kind of killed reading for me because of all the mandatory reading/studying that I have to do. Once I get through college, I can easily see myself going back and reading just to read again.

#82 Edited by Sursh (243 posts) -

@egg said:

I don't understand why novels are so popular. Nonfiction books seem like the only books worth reading imo.

that's no different than saying " i don't understand why video-games are so popular/why movies are so popular.". it's a form of entertainment to get lost in. simple.

#83 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Sure, and not only books based on video games (like the Starcraft and Warcraft stuff).
Also, subtitles. The joy of being a fast reader, make sure you get what they're saying and never miss any of the action

#84 Posted by Skytylz (4025 posts) -

I've noticed I can enjoy a good story in a game a lot and it really enhances the experience. But, I really go to games for the interactivity which can make a mediocre to bad story more interesting when you have some say in it. If I want a good story I go to movies and books for that still. That's kinda all books have and far more important to movies than games.

#85 Edited by spraynardtatum (2528 posts) -

I'm always reading like 3 or 4 books at a time. Right now I'm reading IQ84, American Gods, Why the World Exists, and I just finished The Great Gatsby. I've always loved to read and consider it one of my favorite hobbies right next to gaming.

#86 Posted by spraynardtatum (2528 posts) -

@sursh: That's easy for me. Jack Kerouac is hands down my favorite writer of all time. I've read, or own, nearly everything he's written.

#87 Edited by Skytylz (4025 posts) -

@egg said:

This is one of the most close minded things I've ever read. Do you only play non-fiction games? Do you only watch documentaries?

#88 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

@slag said:

I was a reader first, games came later.

But I must admit, in the age of interwebs, games and smart phones I don't "read" a whole lot anymore although I'm reading constantly.

Yup, always reading something of some variety, but I do wish I read, like, actual books more. I haven't done that in a while.

#89 Posted by buft (3300 posts) -

I do enjoy reading, last year I bought a kindle since I moved into a small apartment and could no house a large book collection, so far ive read 7 books on the kindle, which isn't too bad considering the amount of time I can spend on activities. My regular genre is fantasy or sci fi but recently ive been getting into tom clancy-esque books.

#90 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

@skytylz said:

@egg said:

This is one of the most close minded things I've ever read. Do you only play non-fiction games? Do you only watch documentaries?

Well, to be fair, nonfiction games don't really exist *yet*, and the format doesn't really lend itself to nonfiction in the first place. Regarding your second question, largely, yes; I get a whole lot more out of documentaries/informative videos than I do out of fictional movies/TV shows, and find myself in the mood to watch fiction increasingly less often.

#91 Posted by CottoneUD (137 posts) -

I enjoy reading, and I wish I could write better. Speaking of games and reading, does anyone here still play/make text adventures like the one Patrick posted in Worth Reading a while back?

#92 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

I'm a big reader. I don't know what these publishers are using as a basis to dismiss the gaming community's appetite for books. I'm sure there's something to it (that is their job, afterall), but most of the gamers I've known personally are a bit more learned in book readin' than the average bloke, I'd say.

That's just my personal experience, though. Where that fits into an overall analysis of the gaming community's reading habits is anybody's guess. I don't know of anyone really doing a comprehensive, reliable analysis along those lines.

#93 Posted by spraynardtatum (2528 posts) -

@pillclinton: Nonfiction is awesome but you can learn just as much about the world through fiction. Not facts and dates but life lessons and world views. How do you feel about fictional representations of historical events?

#94 Edited by s10129107 (1173 posts) -

Breaking news : People are individuals.

#95 Edited by Scrawnto (2433 posts) -

I read an absolutely obscene amount when I was growing up. I was always annoying my teachers by reading in class. That trailed off in college when I had a social life, but then I graduated and moved across the country. Now I'm back to reading roughly a novel a week. I read on lunch breaks, while I'm walking from place to place, and before bed.

#96 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -

I'm mainly interested in nonfiction. I just can't get engaged with fiction most of the time. I like to learn something when I read.

#97 Edited by jimmyfenix (3813 posts) -

I can read.

#98 Posted by gaminghooligan (1403 posts) -

I read 4-6 books a year at least. Just got my hands on the Kingkiller Chronicle series.

#99 Edited by Brendan (7668 posts) -

I'll read in spurts, and then play games in spurts for a while. I probably read about a dozen novels a year.

Edit: I should add that I have magazine subscriptions from National Geographic, Motor Trend, Road & Track, and GQ, so even if I haven't read a book in a while I still end up doing plenty of reading every month, in addition to the different news and editorial stuff I read on the internet.

#100 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4138 posts) -