Are games much easier with VATS, Dead-Eye, Slo-Mo etc.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Recently like many of you, I have been playing a lot of Red Dead Redemption. I have found the Dead-Eye targeting system to be quite effective for sure.

I have also played a hell of a lot of Fallout 3 in the past, and i think i overused VATS so much, i can not even remember a point where i killed someone by aiming down the sight, or firing from the hip. It was just a constant overuse of VATS.

And then I absolutely loved the Max Payne games. Even in that i think I'd slo-mo jump with my dual berettas or sawed-off just about every chance i got.

So with all the VATS, Dead-Eye and Slo-Mo i have ever used, i have found it makes games a bit too easy. Do you think this is the case, or does the use of these combat enhancements make a game more interesting?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz

It makes games easier and arguably more dull. Shooting in a game shouldn't be based off of a dice roll or some silly gameplay mechanic like VATS & Dead Eye. Spend more time fine tuning the shooting system to work effectively without relying on these ridiculous gimmicks.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

VATS doesn't count, Fallout is an RPG and is meant to be played like that.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Well, I haven't played the other games except for Fallout 3, but, in there, you're definitely not supposed to play it as a normal FPS.  I'm sure everybody used the VATS system as much as they could.  It didn't make the game any easier, either.  The bar depleted consistently and, if you weren't playing the game on 'Easy', the enemies could do some real damage during that down time.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Burns098356GX
@xaLieNxGrEyx said:
" VATS doesn't count, Fallout is an RPG and is meant to be played like that. "
Agreed.
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Gabriel

Dead Eyes pretty useful especially on the later bounties if you want to get back alive.

SaintMits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SaintMits

VATS didn't make it easier as it was fucking terrible.

Avatar image for deactivated-625769173e9f2
deactivated-625769173e9f2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Fallout you can get some long range kills with rifles, but the game is meant to be played through VATS and strategy etc. I cannot say anything about Red Dead since I haven't played it yet. But Max Payne was set up so that if you didn't use cover and slo-mo you'd be stuffed. It's a mechanic. 

FrogSox

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jimbo

VATs in Fallout 3 needed to be way more involved.  Different enemies and situations should have made you think about how you could best use your points.

They're all fine, the games just need to be balanced to take them into account.  Dead Eye in RDR was more engaging than the ridiculously OTT auto-aim on the default setting at least.  I still don't think they've really figured out the ideal way to handle shooting with a pad.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob
@xaLieNxGrEyx said:
Also agreed.
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Binman88

Dead Eye made you feel like an absolute bad ass, allowing you to pull off kills that you would otherwise be unable to perform, while still making you do a good portion of the work and time-limiting it's use. The gun play in RDR would be significantly duller without it, and the game's difficulty level as a whole is aleady easy enough to not let Dead Eye feel like a major advantage.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lowbrow

If RDR didn't have the Dead Eye targeting, think about how much more of a pain in the ass the game would be, even if you are full up on medicine at all times. It seems like they balanced out the use of Dead Eye by making Marston's health very very low. The only critical thing I would have to say about Dead eye is that you might be able to slow down time for too long before it depletes.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By warxsnake

dead eye is fine, its a game mechanic, the auto aim is what made RDR super easy, hold L2 let go, shoot, repeat. 

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jkz

I don't mind the mechanics so much, my issues comes from the fact that often they seem like an attempt to cover up a poor shooting mechanic. 

Red Dead plays fine, but I really think that just a few changes would have made the aiming outside of dead-eye far more enjoyable: first, I think that the acceleration is too jerky (it goes from too slow to too fast too quickly), and the crosshair, at least for my eyes, is far too small. I always lose track of it in the dust and brush.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kishan6
@Burns098356GX said:
" @xaLieNxGrEyx said:
Agreed. "
doublegreed
Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Icil

Hmm, I disagree that it's bad, but I will say that devs aren't pulling out all the stops when they make great systems like VATS. VATS had some great potential to put some depth into where shooting your enemy matters, but they didn't go far enough.

Max Payne was pretty hard and it had bullet time, so it's more a design thing, imo. 

One thing I don't like in recent video games is the "If I'm in cover, I'm basically invulnerable from this direction" mantra, which is a game design and AI problem for me.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By slax
@xaLieNxGrEyx said:
Also the shooting mechanic in Fallout without VATS was suspect at best.
yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By yani
@warxsnake said:

" dead eye is fine, its a game mechanic, the auto aim is what made RDR super easy, hold L2 let go, shoot, repeat.  "

You could always change the aiming mode to expert where there is very little assist.  All they do there is sometimes at longer ranges it reckons "close enough" and gives you the hit.

I don't think things like slow mo in games is a bad thing if the game is built well around it.  What I dislike in games is lock on and snap to targeting, without the option of free aim.  I feel that these modes take the skill out of the combat and I tend to enjoy it less.  Its kinda like the devs are saying, "we couldn't get the shooting mechanic right, so we'll just do it for you".
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By owl_of_minerva

I think such mechanics highlight the fact that the simple act of firing a gun isn't satisfactory in-itself, thus the experimentation with other mechanics that almost seem to trivialise gunplay - mark and shoot in Splinter Cell, VATS, Dead Eye, etc. Personally, I think they are mostly uinteresting gimmicks, not satisfactory solutions to the homogeneity of the shooter genre.
These games need to find different ways of making their gameplay different, as Heavy Rain attempted to do in a particular sequence involving a gun. Not that I'm saying shooters need to try to be Heavy Rain, but development of characters, contextualisation, moral ambiguity, experimentation with mood and theme and so on are all much better than finding another way of doing the same thing that is disguised as not doing the exact same thing you've done too many times before.

yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By yani
@owl_of_minerva:  I'm hoping that as graphical improvements start to slow down the devs will be forced to spend more time on things like story/gameplay in order to make themselves stand out.  The problem here is that a large number of people are uninterested in plot in games and just want to get to the shooting.  I think that Heavy Rain had a good approach in that they kept you involved in parts of the game which would of been cut-scenes in other games, thus appeasing some of the, "if I wanted to watch a movie.." crowd.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Karmum

Easier but more dull. I found dead-eye with automatic marking to be lame, but when given the opportunity to mark the shots myself it made it somewhat more fun. Auto-aim and these "new" things don't really make a game more fresh or fun, just...easier.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xyzygy

I hated VATS, and tried to use it as less as possible. Except when I was aiming for a robot's control centre thingy on his back. But I find Dead Eye to be fair you're only given a certain amount per fight, and you have to use it wisely.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@yani:  I'm sure that there are many gamers who feel that way. However, as gamers grow older the market should mature (theoretically) and moreover, there's only so much of the same thing you can release before the well is poisoned. What I like about Heavy Rain is that mechanically it's different from any other game that I've ever played except for Indigo Prophecy, and it attempted to involve players in the events onscreen beyond simply a visceral "kill-or-be-killed" approach. It's not a movie, nor should it be taken as such, but rather as an example that games can handle more mature themes and emotions.
Developers of shooters could learn a thing or two from that example, although they probably don't need to yet. For me it's one of the most consistently disappointing genres with much wasted potential.
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I don't think these game mechanics necessarily make a game easy, but they are effective and make it more interesting. I overused slow-motion (aka matrix) in Max Payne and loved it, but in a game like Red Dead Redemption, it's more fun for me to just shoot them without using Dead Eye.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By cstrang
@xaLieNxGrEyx said:
This.  If you play Fallout 3 without using VATS, you're playing it wrong.  Also, I will suggest that using these slow-motion techniques is almost entirely OPTIONAL.  Most of the time in RDR, no one is forcing you to use Dead Eye.
DukeT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DukeT
@Icil: Would you rather be in cover and have the AI magically shoot you in your fucking head? Probably not. Most cover-based shooters, for me at least, seem to work really well. The only gripe I have would have to be the AI not flanking enough on games like Gears and Ghost Recon.
dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By dichemstys

Slow motion only does anything for me when the game has good physics. Otherwise I think it's gimmicky. But Fallout's VATS system was really efficient I thought.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By Death_Unicorn

It helps hide bad shooting mechanics in Fallout and Red Dead Redemption.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#29  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Games are easier with VATS etc. but I believe there's a place for these auto-targeting systems in games. The only auto-targeting I really have any proper experience with was VATS but it worked because Fallout 3 was more of an RPG than it was a shooter.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By AhmadMetallic

At first, i thought the Dead Eye in RDR was making things too easy, but then i remembered that its the Wild West... things were going too fast around you and you didnt have the proper fire power, thats why slowing shit down is necessary. (Same as CoJ2) 

In max payne, the bullet time mechanic is what made is awesome

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mono_Listo

I think these mechanics add to a game, gives you more options and ways to approach or handle certain situations. 

Besides, if a person feels as though it makes a game less challenging or enjoyable, they can just avoid using it.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

F.E.A.R. would have been insanely difficult without the ability to use slow motion, the artificial intelligence in that game was relentless.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cap123

i see what you mean, but i'd rather dead eye was just nerfed a bit. When a guys riding off in the distance, a bounty escaping for example, it's great that i can slow down time and put a bullet right in his back just before he gets out of reach. I like that, it's as if John's aim and skill makes shots like that possible. But i'd rather it was reduced to a last resort thing like that only. Perhaps reduce the amount of time you get to pick your target, or maybe you can only aim at the one target and put as many bullets as you like into him.

Because at the moment i just reduce what could be a really fun gun fight sequence into slow down time, click on people a bit, and then they all fall down. 

SilentCommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SilentCommando

In Red Dead Redemption, Dead-Eye can take a while to regenerate after you've used it.  Vats also depleted points very fast, though I never used it as much as I could've.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Skytylz

I never really thought about how they were similar, but I'd definitely say dead eye is a better mechanic.