• 85 results
#1 Edited by thesonygamer12 (85 posts) -

Are jrpgs really a dying genre because from what i see it no no its not

For 1 we have pokemon which sells incredibly well and is the 2nd biggest selling game ever and we have final fantasy which is again doing really well so how are jrpgs dead if pokemon is still selling copy's

2nd the only reason people even say this is because some people seem to think all turn based battled are slow its like they have never played a tales of game before which have some of the best battle systems in gaming

And 3rd if jrpgs where really irrelevant why are still being released to the west its obvious someone must enjoy them

but that's just me what about you? do you think jrpgs are irrelevant or are they still going strong?

#2 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

No they're not and bunnies are cute.

#3 Posted by thesonygamer12 (85 posts) -

If you're going to make a new thread about a topic that is already be discussed to death with no answers, and write your topic like a 5th grader, for the love of god at least have something original to say.

To answer your question, no they're not and bunnies are cute.

MY SPELLING WASNT EVEN THAT BAD -.- now you people are looking for excuses to bash me

#4 Posted by Yummylee (21467 posts) -

I'm going to take a guess that you mean to ask if people consider JRPGs to be ''irrelevant'' rather than ''irreverent''.

#5 Posted by believer258 (11772 posts) -

@xalienxgreyx said:

If you're going to make a new thread about a topic that is already be discussed to death with no answers, and write your topic like a 5th grader, for the love of god at least have something original to say.

To answer your question, no they're not and bunnies are cute.

MY SPELLING WASNT EVEN THAT BAD -.- now you people are looking for excuses to bash me

I don't want to be mean about it, but he's not wrong. Your spelling and grammar are horrible.

Shin Megami Tensei IV, Persona 5, those Tales of games, Etrian Odyssey Untold, Fire Emblem Awakening, Bravely Default, Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns, and Final Fantasy XV are all modern JRPG's that have had some attention. Not the same attention that, say, a AAA game like Uncharted might get, but you can't expect that from a genre known for fifty hour games, long cutscenes, and grinding.

#6 Edited by Devil240Z (3310 posts) -

The JRPGs that I liked to play are dead.

I just don't think JRPG means the same thing anymore. All the big studios don't seem to be doing them any more and now its all those niche devs doing their niche JRPGs.

So I think they're pretty much dead, or at least they're dead to me.

#7 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5352 posts) -

That stealth edit fail.

All genres other than FPS are dying.

#8 Posted by Sterling (2141 posts) -

I feel like they are being pushed to handhelds more often than not these days. We are not seeing the big numbers of them in the last few years on the PS3. I think the good ole days of the PS2 with its massive jrpg library will not be matched. I doubt we see anything like that on the PS4. More people seem to lean towards action based rpgs (western). So I think we will continue to just a few here and there. There are a still a good number coming out in Japan, but most of that will never get imported.

#9 Edited by CaLe (3944 posts) -

My love for JRPGs is dead, but love is not over and so JRPGs are still alive in the hearts of others. It is through their hearts and their love that the Tree of Krystelia may be renewed, but first we must find a way to unite the people of this divided land of Edonia. That charge falls with you, young boy from a remote village; it falls to you and the friendships you form with eccentric characters on your tedious journey through this brightly colored yet static and lifeless backdrop you have the audacity to call a world.

#10 Posted by Yummylee (21467 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

That stealth edit fail.

I'm pretty sure his comment was moderated.

#11 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5352 posts) -

@yummylee: Unlikely, but sort of irrelevant to the point of the stealth edit failing.

#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Is it 2007 in here?

#13 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5352 posts) -

@video_game_king: LPs are young again! Also didn't like half (read: a ton of games) of the good JRPGs on PS2 come out in 2005/2006?

#14 Posted by thesonygamer12 (85 posts) -

@sterling said:

I feel like they are being pushed to handhelds more often than not these days. We are not seeing the big numbers of them in the last few years on the PS3. I think the good ole days of the PS2 with its massive jrpg library will not be matched. I doubt we see anything like that on the PS4. More people seem to lean towards action based rpgs (western). So I think we will continue to just a few here and there. There are a still a good number coming out in Japan, but most of that will never get imported.

ps3 has plenty of jrpgs its just you people forget about the lesser known ones because people only go for whats popular

heres a list of all the jrpgs on ps3 that i know of

atelier series

disgaea series

tales of games

eternal sonata

folklore

hyperdemension series

mugen souls

white knight chronicles

ni no kuni

kingdom hearts 1.5 remix

etc etc etc

i hate when people ignore the lesser known ones because they shoudnt desevre to fail if there generally good games

#15 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3152 posts) -

I just bought SMT: Nocturne in 2014. So the answer is no.

#16 Posted by Sterling (2141 posts) -
#17 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5352 posts) -

Fun fact: I own Ni No Kuni because it was 12 bucks on PS+ at some point and have never downloaded it. Does that means JRPGs are really dead? Or does it just mean Ni No Kuni is fucking huge?

#18 Edited by Sterling (2141 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: Yep. Japan is no longer making RPGs. End of topic. Who wants pie?

Also another Fun Fact; Ni No Kuni was my Game of the Year!

#19 Posted by thesonygamer12 (85 posts) -

@sterling said:

@thesonygamer12: Way to take what I said completely out of context.

well dont make it sound like theres not any ps3 rpgs

and dont forget the japan only ps3 jrpgs awell

#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@video_game_king: LPs are young again! Also didn't like half (read: a ton of games) of the good JRPGs on PS2 come out in 2005/2006?

Maybe, but I also remember that it was around 2007 onward that people started talking about JRPGs like they were dead or dying.

#21 Edited by Sterling (2141 posts) -

@sterling said:

#22 Posted by Yummylee (21467 posts) -

All this thread needs now is some Linkin Park AMVs...

#23 Posted by chrissedoff (2077 posts) -

Yeah they're dead

#24 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5352 posts) -

Hey now, we all remember when we were 12 and posted 40 threads on the same day on slightly different topics in a forum. Those were the days. It's a vital component of maturing as a forum troll.

#25 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@yummylee said:

All this thread needs now is some Linkin Park AMVs...

Here:

#26 Posted by Yummylee (21467 posts) -

@video_game_king: Now you've done it.

Also, regarding 'new user who is likely 12-15 going around creating generic, well-worn threads before eventually disappearing', I just noticed that that miko MGS fan guy isn't around anymore.

#27 Posted by mosespippy (4101 posts) -

I would like to see some sort of data to show that Pokèmon is the second best selling game ever. Or for that matter, some data showing that Final Fantasy sales are doing well. If I recall correctly the reason they made 13-2 and Lightning Returns was because they needed to quickly make back the money they lost spending forever and a day making 13.

#28 Edited by TheBlue (326 posts) -

@thesonygamer12: First of all, who is saying JRPGs are a dying genre? Secondly, people don't ignore those games that you mentioned out of malice or because they aren't "popular". They aren't aware of them because niche Japanese games and JRPGs aren't advertised much at all in the West. When's the last time you saw a Gust game or a Disgaea game advertised in a Target or a Walmart? Or they choose to ignore them because they are, and I quote, "Japanese as fuck", and a lot of the mainstream video game crowd is turned off by those cultural differences. But you're right though, if they didn't sell, then they wouldn't bother making them. Take a look at Bravely Default. Square Enix themselves were surprised at how well it sold in the West. So I don't see how "JRPGs are dying" has any validity whatsoever. They are simply evolving.

Try gathering some facts next time before making a topic. Also, watch the "you people" arguments. That's just being ignorant, there are plenty of users on this site that enjoy JRPGs.

#29 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2343 posts) -

@yummylee: The "discussion thread" guy seems to have vanished as well. Are they actually being banned, or just got bored and stopped coming here? More importantly, where the hell did they all come from in the first place?

#30 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4357 posts) -

No, JRPGs are not dead, but their "glory days" are over. And I say this as a huge fan of JRPGs too. There are still some great games coming out and the occasional one does do really well in terms of sales and whatnot, but, let's be honest, aside from Pokemon and Final Fantasy, very very very very veeeeeeeery few JRPGs these days really make any headlines. And, hell, I'd say thanks to 13, the Final Fantasy brand doesn't seem to carry nearly as much weight as it once did. Sure, Final Fantasy XIII did well, but XIII-2 and Lightning Returns did subsequently worse to the point that the latter feels like it's treated more like a joke than anything else.

#31 Posted by mosespippy (4101 posts) -

@yummylee: The "discussion thread" guy seems to have vanished as well. Are they actually being banned, or just got bored and stopped coming here? More importantly, where the hell did they all come from in the first place?

I think that when word got out that Giant Bomb was hiring a writer that pricked some ears and got outsiders to check out the site. As for why they are disappearing, they are running out of well worn topics to create so they are getting bored and moving on.

#32 Edited by Yummylee (21467 posts) -

@turtlebird95 said:

Likely boredom. I would gather some people are just a bit overly eager to engage in some videya gamez discussion--again people who are most likely in their lower teens--and so they make their ''wots your favorite game'' threads without realising how well-worn and broad of a discussion it is. They then potentially get that out of their system and either move on or maybe decide to stick around. Just apart of typical internet forum-dom I suppose.

Though there has been a rise lately... But then Rorie did also advertise giant bomb on reddit, so... Which I should clarify that I'm more so referring to their huge audience and not necessarily the overall quality of the audience itself. It's a big place with a lotta eyes over there, which I'm sure once rorie put up the sign and caught the attention of said lotta eyes, well, that's bound to bring over a variety of people.

#33 Posted by Zelyre (1166 posts) -

@sterling said:

@thesonygamer12 said:

@sterling said:

It was a quality rebuttal! One worthy of being put on a peddle stool. But really, this thread's just becoming a damp squid.

JRPGs are alive and well; just like the English language.

Let's pretend it's 1996 for a minute - People cared about using you're/your correctly. Animated GIFs were 32x32 pixels large. You had a web page at www.geocities.com/duderville/9879287345/lycos/angelfyre/icq.html. Video gaming was still a fairly niche hobby that attracted people who would lean towards liking things like JRPGs.

Just like the internet, the number of people who play video games exploded in the last two decades. For every person who actually uses you're/your correctly, they're r a 1000 ple who tipe however thay want two. For every person that likes a "JRPG", there are exponentially more who don't. It's always been a niche genre in video games - however video games went from a niche hobby to a mainstream entertainment.

#34 Posted by RazielCuts (2943 posts) -

@zelyre said:

@sterling said:

@thesonygamer12 said:

@sterling said:

It was a quality rebuttal! One worthy of being put on a peddle stool. But really, this thread's just becoming a damp squid.

Not sure if this is supposed to be sarcasm...? Y'know so like, JRPGS aren't alive and well because you've got the expressions wrong? 'Pedestal', 'damp squib'.

#35 Edited by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

they dying out. i'd like more

#36 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2343 posts) -

@yummylee: Ah, yeah that sounds about right. I don't know why but for some reason I thought the PS2 and the discussion thread guys were secretly the same person, lol.

#37 Posted by thesonygamer12 (85 posts) -

@theblue said:

@thesonygamer12: First of all, who is saying JRPGs are a dying genre? Secondly, people don't ignore those games that you mentioned out of malice or because they aren't "popular". They aren't aware of them because niche Japanese games and JRPGs aren't advertised much at all in the West. When's the last time you saw a Gust game or a Disgaea game advertised in a Target or a Walmart? Or they choose to ignore them because they are, and I quote, "Japanese as fuck", and a lot of the mainstream video game crowd is turned off by those cultural differences. But you're right though, if they didn't sell, then they wouldn't bother making them. Take a look at Bravely Default. Square Enix themselves were surprised at how well it sold in the West. So I don't see how "JRPGs are dying" has any validity whatsoever. They are simply evolving.

Try gathering some facts next time before making a topic. Also, watch the "you people" arguments. That's just being ignorant, there are plenty of users on this site that enjoy JRPGs.

i know but i think people stereotype it wayy to much i mean i can understand if they dont care for the design (there are plenty of anime games im not interested in) its when they use the lolicon argument when there isnt even lolicon in it is where i get pissed off (atelier isnt loli damm it) i can understand games like hyperdemension or mugen souls but a lighthearted a inocent game like atelier thats just plain ignorence

and like i said its not like these games dont sell something (disgaea wasnt exactly a flop in the west neither was atelier) because they would have discontinued it to the west if they did because barley anyone was buying it

your right i should have done more reserch but people really need to stop with the ignorance to japanese or anime cultre there's one thing being not interetsed and theres just plain stereotyping

#38 Edited by XCEagle (112 posts) -

@zelyre said:

@sterling said:

@thesonygamer12 said:

@sterling said:

Not sure if this is supposed to be sarcasm...? Y'know so like, JRPGS aren't alive and well because you've got the expressions wrong? 'Pedestal', 'damp squib'.

The gif is from the IT crowd. He's making a reference to a joke in the show with those incorrect expressions. Don't worry, Zelyre. I got it.

#39 Edited by Zelyre (1166 posts) -

@razielcuts said:

It was a reference to the animated gif. It was either that, or acid.

#40 Edited by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Just because Atelier Totori is niche doesn't mean the genre is dying or dead.

#41 Posted by Brendan (7732 posts) -

I think our generation of 20 something's that grew up in that Final Fantasy 7 hey-day are in a weird place where we don't realize that JRPG's are more of a niche in the western world overall than we would like to believe. They aren't dead and they never were, but aside from a few select games they don't, as a genre, penetrate the mass consciousness.

I thought about this when reading that thread about a lack of young people knowing about JRPG's.

#42 Posted by Hunter5024 (5599 posts) -

Well no genre is ever truly dead. Though I think the genre is facing somewhat of an identity crisis. It seems rare that you ever get a proper turn based rpg these days, they always try and come up with some weird semi strategic, semi real time, free movement, ai controlled clusterfuck. It looks a lot flashier, and I'm sure it's easier to advertise, but man it sure doesn't make for a very interesting experience.

A lot of the RPG style levelling mechanics have made their way into other genres as well, which allows those kinds of people to get their fix elsewhere. You could say something similar about stories as well, while those were a big selling point for JRPG's in their heyday, narrative has become a much larger focus for genres that previously relied on other things.

Another problem that hit JRPG's harder than most is the inflating budgets behind mainstream console games, where the majority of JRPG's enjoyed their previous success. Back in the olden days you could create these 60 hour campaigns with enormous maps, and beautiful visuals, but now it's so expensive to generate art that they either have to release on a less powerful system, compromise the length, or add a lot of filler to stretch out the story.

#43 Posted by DeadpanCakes (827 posts) -

@theblue said:

i know but i think people stereotype it wayy to much i mean i can understand if they dont care for the design (there are plenty of anime games im not interested in) its when they use the lolicon argument when there isnt even lolicon in it is where i get pissed off (atelier isnt loli damm it) i can understand games like hyperdemension or mugen souls but a lighthearted a inocent game like atelier thats just plain ignorence

and like i said its not like these games dont sell something (disgaea wasnt exactly a flop in the west neither was atelier) because they would have discontinued it to the west if they did because barley anyone was buying it

your right i should have done more reserch but people really need to stop with the ignorance to japanese or anime cultre there's one thing being not interetsed and theres just plain stereotyping

I really do understand where you're coming from in all this. It's probably real shitty when most of the time you hear somebody talking about the stuff you like, they're judging based on misinformation. (I mean, most of what I've played this year has been Jrpgs) But really, It seems to me like this is all an attempt to validate your opinion more than it is to finding an answer to "are jrpgs really dead?". And do the people you're describing seem like the type of people that will be convinced to see things your way, even if you did more research? Are these the types of people you wanna convince? I'd like to reiterate that I totally see the logic you're approaching this with, but if you're only using that logic because people look at, say, Bravely Default and go, "ew, loli" and don't give it a second thought, it's probably a lose/lose situation. I don't think anyone here is gonna be saying that, but I doubt anyone will completely agree with how you're going about making this point either.

Anyway, to answer the question, no I don't think they're dead. I agree with quite a few people who answered prior, in particular about them being pushed more to handhelds.

#44 Edited by Nasar7 (2610 posts) -

@brendan said:

I think our generation of 20 something's that grew up in that Final Fantasy 7 hey-day are in a weird place where we don't realize that JRPG's are more of a niche in the western world overall than we would like to believe. They aren't dead and they never were, but aside from a few select games they don't, as a genre, penetrate the mass consciousness.

I thought about this when reading that thread about a lack of young people knowing about JRPG's.

You're right and as a niche genre I wouldn't mind a drop in quantity of RPGs compared to the 90s golden era (when everyone and their mom was putting out RPGs), but the drop in quality is a real bummer. Are jrpgs dead? No. But they are in decline.

#45 Edited by ripelivejam (3717 posts) -
@xalienxgreyx said:

No they're not and bunnies are cute.

bunnies are cute and they'll do in a pinch but they're pretty dumb af and skittish. rats/chinchillas/capybaras 4 lyfe y0.

e: don't get me started on hamsters. goddamn devilspawn.

#46 Posted by Sinusoidal (1379 posts) -

I blame the advent of CDs. The cutscene used to be an infrequent reward that gave us a sense of accomplishment among the grinding. Then Square went and made VII and it was stupidly popular and JRPGs slowly began their inexorable decline into being long cutscenes with some grinding in between.

Look at Phantasy Star 1 - my favorite 8-bit JRPG. There's a cutscene in the beginning that informs you that your brother has died at the hands of the corrupt regime, go get revenge, and then there's maybe another 6-10 cutscenes spread out throughout the entire game. None of them take more than a minute or two, but they tell you everything you need to know and let your imagination fill in the blanks. There's no more room for imagination in a modern JRPG. They spoon feed you the entire, ridiculous (and they are universally ridiculous) story with constant, interminably long and boring cutscenes. I miss being able to use my imagination.

#47 Posted by thesonygamer12 (85 posts) -

Just because Atelier Totori is niche doesn't mean the genre is dying or dead.

atelier totori is the best in the areland series actualy and you do know niche dosent mean bad right

#48 Posted by TruthTellah (8716 posts) -

Who is going around whispering in random gamers' ears that a bunch of people believe JRPGs are somehow dead?

I probably see ten times more people each year saying, "Are JRPGs really dead?" or "Well -I- don't think JRPGs are dead!" than anyone who says, "I think JRPGs are dead." I genuinely don't understand this odd perception that JRPG fans must act as though everyone else thinks the genre is dying or dead.

JRPGs are not dead. To suggest such is to inherently misunderstand what constitutes something being dead.

#49 Edited by InfiniteGeass (2052 posts) -

All video games are dead. RIP video games.

#50 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

They stopped trying after Grandia, so yes.