#1 Posted by Deadmeat (94 posts) -

You know those games that sell OK, maybe break even or a smidge more but are not total blockbusters. You go on Xbox live after a month for those level of games and the community is dead. It sucks, you used to get dozens of total random games at this level just a generation ago. I know games are so expensive but it's starting to look like only two level of gaming will survive. The super huge 5 million+ blockbuster (COD etc), and the indie type of games with a small team. The problem is those super high end blockbusters are getting so generic to the point of boredom, and indie games are great but they lack the production muscle of a mid or big sized game (So you can't do some types of cinematic style games in that range).

What do you guys think? I just realized some of my FAVORITE games of this generation have been those medicore selling not exactly AAA titles. Guess what publishers, I didn't play Crysis 2, Homefront, Battlefield 3, Medal of Honor, etc... I am trying to vote with my dollars but when a game like Deus Ex or Syndicate is a FPS but does something a little different it doesn't sell well. Are the masses just not bored like us very hardcore gamers?

#2 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I'm feeling some deja vu.

#3 Posted by Hunkulese (2694 posts) -

@Deadmeat: Both games you mentioned are AAA games.

#4 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -

Is there such thing as mid tier?

#5 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

He means games in between big budget and indie titles.

#6 Edited by Sanryd (1362 posts) -

You vote with your dollar, but so does everyone else. You and a relatively small group of people buy these "mid-tier" games and enjoy them, but tons more people buy the bigger, AAA games. Most of the time if one of those smaller games is really that great, that spreads around and they experience some mild success with it, as they should. People will continue to make the smaller games no matter what, I think.

#7 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Too soon to tell, but it seems right now that mid budget games are either selling terribly or being killed mid production.

#8 Posted by dabe (299 posts) -

No. Asura's Wrath is a single example from the resplendent sea of "mid-tier" games currently available.

#9 Posted by Jeust (10537 posts) -

I'm bored of fps so I very rarely buy one. A person when it is tired of the genre tends not to buy fps games I think.

I believe Deus Ex had a triple AAA investment. I can't say about Syndicate.

#10 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -

no not really

#11 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

They are becoming less and less and common. Though the industry could easily put a stop to it though if it would get its collective head out of its ass and realize that this, "Every game should cost sixty dollars." bullshit pricing structure has got to go.

#12 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1806 posts) -

Do you mean games like Syndicate and Deus Ex: Human Revolution as cyberpunk games? Those aren't mid-tier games. Games like Dark Sector, Damnation, Too Human, Destroy All Humans: Path of the Furon, etc. are mid-tier games to me. There's a reason that games like that don't exist anymore.

#13 Posted by Akeldama (4244 posts) -

Shadows of the Damned, Catherine, Asura's Wrath, etc.

#14 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

The Darkness 2

#15 Edited by Beaudacious (927 posts) -

Let me start out by saying, you are completely wrong in most regards. Thanks to digital distribution Mid-tier games are thriving. Also what i view mid-tier games as, is games charging between $20-$50 or have a small to medium developer size if they charge full price.

Mid-tier is dead on consoles, there is no place for mid-tier games on consoles. Mid-tier games are thriving on the pc marketplace like never before.

#16 Posted by Bucketdeth (8005 posts) -
@lockwoodx

@Sackmanjones said:

The Darkness 2

I think the Darkness 2 is a pretty big budget game and could either save or sink THQ.
#17 Posted by Leptok (942 posts) -

Paradox is a mid tier or niche developer, they seem to be doing good on Steam. I think it could be revived by digital distribution on next gen consoles.

#18 Posted by BRich (431 posts) -

Enslaved, Rayman Origins, Bayonetta

#19 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Some of the best games of this generation are mid tier ones. Basically anything from Platinum, Grasshopper, Atlus, etc. I notice less western mid tier games though.

#20 Posted by AssInAss (2598 posts) -
#21 Edited by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

@Bucketdeth said:

@lockwoodx

@Sackmanjones said:

The Darkness 2

I think the Darkness 2 is a pretty big budget game and could either save or sink THQ.

It doesn't play like a big budget game and cell shading screams your art budget was slashed abruptly. How is it selling?

#22 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

when you say you're very hardcore, just how hardcore is very hardcore.

on a scale of 1 -10 say how hardcore are you.

#23 Posted by andriv (256 posts) -

is a 5m game a super huge blockbuster?

cod and assassins creed games, for example, must be well above that, being worked on by multiple studios for 1-2 years

#24 Posted by AssInAss (2598 posts) -

@lockwoodx said:

@Bucketdeth said:

@lockwoodx

@Sackmanjones said:

The Darkness 2

It doesn't play like a big budget game and cell shading screams your art budget was slashed abruptly. How is it selling?

Wut.

First, are there standards for how big budget games play? Darkness 2 has excellent controls, the darkness arms are responsive, shooting feels great. The big budget games can also have bad controls, awful gameplay, and bad production values. Problems are not exclusive to lower budget games.

Second, cel shading means art budget has gone down? It's a stylistic choice and gives for the most beautiful games that stand the test of time. The art in Darkness 2 isn't 2D, they still have 3D modellers and artists. And it was one of the areas to get the biggest praise from critics and community alike.