• 52 results
#1 Posted by xxizzypop (577 posts) -

I haven't played one before but I'll be diving in for the first time tonight with Dota 2 (or at least trying to, we'll see if the laptop can run it). I've only ever seen them from a distance and wonder if the communities are actually as bad as people made them out to be, and if they were, if they still remain that way.

#2 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

Preferably you'd want to play with at least one, if not multiple friends. Just to mitigate most of the negative comments you'd probably receive. Especially with DotA 2, a community that's probably one of the hardest on new players.

#3 Posted by Ben_H (3293 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Preferably you'd want to play with at least one, if not multiple friends.

Pretty much.

I hopped into a match of League of Legends about a month back and realized why I never bothered starting playing it almost immediately.

#4 Posted by psylah (2161 posts) -

@Ben_H said:

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Preferably you'd want to play with at least one, if not multiple friends.

Pretty much.

I hopped into a match of League of Legends about a month back and realized why I never bothered starting playing it almost immediately.

I have been having the opposite experience. I'm not great at LoL but it seems the tribunal keeps everyone in check. Even if I do run into someone who is being acrid, it's usually just them, and I get the satisfaction of reporting them.

DOTA 2 on the other had, is full of vindictive assholes who yelled at me for the few matches I played while trying to figure out the controls.

#5 Posted by BisonHero (6047 posts) -

Yeah, it's the worst. Unlike team deathmatch, the teams are small enough that your average 13-year-old racist playing the game is able to realize that everyone has to do their part, so if your team is ever even slightly losing, they will blame whichever teammate is doing the worst (aside from themselves).

I suggest finding some friends to play with.

#6 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1327 posts) -

I haven't played league before, but dota seems like any other online game as far as communities go. But as I have gotten better and ranked in higher matchmaking pools, the less douchebags there seems to be.

#7 Edited by xMrSunshine (360 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Preferably you'd want to play with at least one, if not multiple friends. Just to mitigate most of the negative comments you'd probably receive. Especially with DotA 2, a community that's probably one of the hardest on new players.

Whenever I played with friends I got yelled at just as much. "YOUR NOT WARDING PROPERLY WHY ARE YOU NOT PULLING RIGHT NOW ARGH WHY ARE YOU THERE AND NOT HERE". Maybe I just have bad friends.

I think I'd really like MOBAs but I just despise the communities. Even Counter Strike seems to have a better community than any MOBA game.

#8 Posted by xxizzypop (577 posts) -

My problem is that after watching that Guardians of Middle Earth QL, I really want to try a MOBA, because it seems like it could be really cool.

I'd be down to play that, but it really does look grossly simplified, and I already have Dota from someone giving me a key.

#9 Posted by Leeroi (29 posts) -

I tried DOTA2 for 2 matches. I was yelled at repeatedly and had my intelligence, sexuality and the virtue of my mother called into question. I learned nothing about how to actually play a MOBA from the experience. From what I hear about the time commitment involved to get good at them, I don't think I will ever try one again.

#10 Posted by EXTomar (4444 posts) -

All communities have bad elements. Especially in hyper competitive ones.

#11 Posted by xpogox (48 posts) -

/ignoreall 
 Will be your savoir!.

#12 Edited by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

yes

@xxizzypop: also dota 2 is really really hard to pick up and play. it will take hours and dozens of games before youre any good. youre better off starting with LOL if youve never touched a MOBA.

#13 Posted by Superfriend (1520 posts) -

"Being yelled at" does not include directions and playing advice.. Yeah, a lot of people can get a little upset when playing online games. But if they just tell you what to do, that´s actually a good thing. Team coordination is one of the coolest things about online gaming. Now, when people are unreasonable and insulting, that´s another thing.

I´d say, any online game is better with friends, but don´t be afraid if someone is a little competitive and actually likes to communicate. Doesn´t mean you have to follow their orders at all times. But yeah, there´s a bunch of assholes in pretty much any online game, DOTA just seems to amplify their presence.

#14 Posted by BisonHero (6047 posts) -

@Superfriend: It's still honestly a rarity that people give much in the way of advice. It's like they don't think they have time to actually explain any game concepts to you, and they instead think they can salvage the match by just yelling at you to be less useless, as if new players have any idea what that means in the context of the game.

#15 Posted by Scrawnto (2432 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@Superfriend: It's still honestly a rarity that people give much in the way of advice. It's like they don't think they have time to actually explain any game concepts to you, and they instead think they can salvage the match by just yelling at you to be less useless, as if new players have any idea what that means in the context of the game.

That's pretty much been my experience as well. I'd like to get into one of them, but my friends who play them never seem to be online when I am.

#16 Posted by Optix12 (609 posts) -

@psylah: You would think the tribunal works but i have a friend who does flamebait people every so often and has only ever recieved email warnings.

In terms of giving advice, once you get to level 30 in LoL its a case of you would think other teammates would know the general concepts of the game and not really require that advice, so the easiest thing to do would be to rage at them going "ARGH why didnt you know that this was a trap" etc.

Also on the subject of DoTA2 I have sadly played quite a lot of LoL and I still find that game (Dota) hard to pick up. It feels like the time investment to learn that game is just abit too much for me and im happy with the Moba i know.

#17 Posted by xxizzypop (577 posts) -

I feel like we should organize some kind of GB MOBA Crew for newbies after looking at some of what is going on in this thread. It seems like there is some legitimate, serious interest in getting into these games, but that the barrier is kind of like Starcraft of nigh impenetrable jargon if you try to just jump in.

#18 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11418 posts) -

One of the many reasons I quit League of Legends was probably because, having gone home for the summer, I was no longer able to coordinate with the guys I played with and thus was reduced to playing with all random people. Random people are the worst, because not only are they unpredictable, but they're also likely to chew you out for being bad.

EDIT: Keep in mind that I haven't really played the game since around mid-may, so for all I know Riot's attempts to put the assholes of the community in line have succeeded. I'm guessing not.

#19 Posted by L44 (548 posts) -

LoL is pretty terrible when it comes to people.

I went to the Tribunal to find a good example of someone you might encounter in your typical game. This kind of thing is not out of the ordinary.

Amumu[00:13:07]noob chinese
Amumu[00:13:08]sb
Leona[00:13:08]sb
Leona[00:13:09]sb
Amumu[00:13:10]stfu
Amumu[00:13:11]noob chinese
Leona[00:13:12]solo
Leona[00:13:14]jb
Amumu[00:13:17]speak english
Leona [All][00:13:18]solo
Amumu[00:13:18]u chink
Amumu[00:13:24]ching chong
Leona [All][00:13:25]qiu solo
Amumu [All][00:13:30]CHING CHONG
Soraka [All][00:13:34]sibal
Soraka [All][00:13:36]sibal
Leona [All][00:13:37]qiu solo
Leona [All][00:13:43]jb dui you
Amumu [All][00:14:01]ching chong
Amumu [All][00:14:27]fucking noob leona..;.
Amumu [All][00:14:28]fed bot
Amumu [All][00:14:33]fucking chinese...
Ryze[00:14:34]ah ssi bal
Ryze[00:14:35]mm
Ryze[00:14:38]im afk
Amumu [All][00:14:44]fucking chinese noob
Leona[00:14:52]ni shi bi
Ryze[00:14:55]STFU
Leona[00:14:56]dang ran afk
Amumu[00:14:59]ni chi fan le ma~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Leona[00:14:59]ahhahah
Amumu[00:15:01]ni ching chong
Amumu[00:15:05]ni chong chong chang
Leona[00:15:05]ni chi dian shi
Amumu[00:15:07]maomao
Amumu[00:15:11]ching chong chinese
Leona[00:15:11]wo chi fan
Leona[00:15:12]ni chi shi
Amumu[00:15:18]ching chong
Amumu[00:15:20]general tso
Amumu[00:15:22]yo mother
Leona[00:15:31]ni chi shi
Amumu[00:15:36]ching chong
Amumu[00:15:37]noob
Leona[00:15:38]ni ma shi wo qiang jian de
Leona[00:15:40]rapr
Leona[00:15:45]rape y mother
Amumu[00:15:46]noob chinese
Leona[00:15:48]ra pe
Amumu[00:15:48]noob chinese
Leona[00:15:49]y
Leona[00:15:51]mother
Amumu[00:15:51]noob chinese
Leona[00:15:51]hahha
Leona[00:16:01]ra pe y
Leona[00:16:02]hhaha
Leona[00:16:05]fu ck y ass
Leona[00:16:09]as s
Leona[00:16:21]jb
Amumu[00:16:23]chinese....
Leona[00:16:28]给老子条比
Amumu[00:16:28]worse race..
Amumu[00:16:32]CHING CHONG CHANG
Leona[00:16:32]给老子条
Leona[00:16:33]
Amumu[00:16:34]CHING CHONG
Amumu[00:16:36]CHING CHONG
Leona[00:16:38]疾病a
Leona[00:16:40]鸡巴
Leona[00:16:41]吃屎
Amumu[00:16:51]CHING CHOONG
Amumu[00:16:53]NOOB CHINESE
Leona[00:17:02]儿子给爹交个
Amumu[00:17:03]THATS HOW TO READ IT RIGHT?
Leona[00:17:03]叫个
Amumu[00:17:07]CHING CHONG CHONG CHANG MING
Leona[00:17:07]真乖
Leona[00:17:09]son
Leona[00:17:14]my son
Leona[00:17:14]sb
Leona[00:17:16]hahha
Amumu[00:17:16]THATS HOW TO READ?
Amumu[00:17:18]CHING CHONG
Leona[00:17:18]noobs
Amumu[00:17:20]CHING CHONG CHANG
Leona[00:17:31]sb
Leona[00:17:32]hhaha
Amumu[00:17:38]CHING CHONG
Amumu[00:17:39]CHINESE
Leona[00:17:42]sb
Leona[00:17:45]solo
Leona[00:17:54]solo
Leona[00:17:55]sb
Amumu[00:17:55]CHING CHONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amumu [All][00:18:01]LMFAO
Leona[00:18:03]solo noobs
Amumu[00:18:07]THIS CHING CHONG
#20 Posted by TruthTellah (8409 posts) -

@xxizzypop: Sure. They're still pretty awful. So, playing with friends would be best.

Though, you can find decent people, and MOBA developers are making real efforts now. I just wouldn't say it's there yet.

#21 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1085 posts) -

depends on if you are a god awful player.

#22 Posted by President_Barackbar (3415 posts) -

League of Legends actually has one of the better communities, since Riot Games actually makes a conscious effort to clean up their community. From what I hear about DOTA 2, if you aren't a hardcore DOTA player, you can expect to be ridiculed and harassed for not being really good.

#23 Posted by Mister_Snig (553 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior said:

Oh hey look, it's Part of the Problem.

#24 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

My experience with MOBAs: "You're jumping into your first game? You mean you haven't put 40 hours into the game even though you just installed it on your PC five minutes ago? GTFO noob go play some other game."

I think I played all of two games of LoL before deciding I never want to deal with any MOBA community ever.

#25 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

ARTS games have the specific detriment of, if one of your team-mates is being a dumbfuck and standing in a creep wave at the start of the game, you've basically lost the game and the next 30-40 minutes are a complete waste.

And when you tell them to, say, stop being a dumbfuck and tanking a creep wave at level 1 because you're wasting the time of the other 4 people on their team, they cry about how they're having fun and you're just a troll.

I suppose in a way they're right, because the 5 people on the other team are having a good time. So it's 6 against 4.

Anyways, screw those guys.

#26 Edited by Phyrlord (171 posts) -

Riot is very public about trying to keep the community in line. (League of Legends). They just recently permanently banned a pro level player from the game entirely for his 9th count of a negative tribunal judgment. It's a pretty big deal in those circles.

@Morbid_Coffee said:

My experience with MOBAs: "You're jumping into your first game? You mean you haven't put 40 hours into the game even though you just installed it on your PC five minutes ago? GTFO noob go play some other game."

I think I played all of two games of LoL before deciding I never want to deal with any MOBA community ever.

I will note, I have been playing LoL for about 3 years now on and off. Unfortunately it is a very competitive game in even the most basic Player vs Player games. The matchs are very heavily dependent on each players skill level. A whole match can be ruined by a new player. It is encouraged that people play with bots for a little while to get the handle of the game and then ease into PVP.

#27 Posted by Winterstrike (59 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior said:

Oh look, we spotted one of those douchebags.

#28 Posted by OneManX (1676 posts) -

Most of the LOL games have been pretty chill, either guys don't say anything or they just give out orders.

THen I have games with just the biggest assholes, it's few and far between, but it just takes the wind out of your sails when you are getting the hang of it.

#29 Posted by EXTomar (4444 posts) -

A thing I've noticed LoL compared to DOTA 2 is that there is far less chatter in DOTA 2. This is probably due to the dynamics in game where if you are standing anywhere too long typing out insults you are missing gold, exp, and the chances of being sniped and killed by an opponent feeding them money and exp is too high and expensive.

Personally I think things like "chat wheels" help out. Reduce the amount of jargon helps new players.

#30 Posted by McLargepants (354 posts) -

I haven't played much in the way of MOBA games, but I did play LoL for a little while. LoL has a players vs. bots game type that I *highly* recommend cutting your teeth on.

#31 Edited by Olu (95 posts) -

Grow some thick skin if this bothers you. It's a team based genre where 1 player can ruin a game for everyone, so this type of reaction is only natural, especially is you are playing with kids. And yeah, jumping into live games without any preparations is just begging for insults.

#32 Edited by Heartagram (1181 posts) -

I personally haven't experienced anything worse than you'd get on xbox live.

Just play some practice matches before you go into the main game so you know what you're doing to a certain degree.

IF it's LoL or Dota 2 go online and try to find a build for the character you like so you aren't getting asinine items and you should be fine.

Maybe I'm just good at the game? Noone has ever been as mean as everyone describes here to me. Granted I've been playing since TFT.

#33 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5135 posts) -

Had some bad experiences in Dota 2 but after 1,400 games I think I can safely say that for the most part if you are nice to your team your team will be nice to you.

I got some Dota 2 keys if anyone wants to try it.

#34 Posted by Stepside (508 posts) -

Played a couple matches during the Dota2 Beta this summer. I've never EVER played a MOBA game in my life. People on the server were pretty cool actually - I just said something like "still learning fellas, sorry" and I was treated fine. Saying that, I didn't really like the game :/

#35 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5160 posts) -

Yep, easily the worst community anywhere and it makes DotA clones ultimately completely unplayable; I respect the idea and the original Aeon of Strife but even if they rebalanced it you'd still have a bunch of people that just need to be rounded up and murdered as fast as possible or there's no hope for humanity.

#36 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1526 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior said:

Hello Mr. Problem, first name is Partofthe, right?

#37 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@Heartagram said:

I personally haven't experienced anything worse than you'd get on xbox live.

Just play some practice matches before you go into the main game so you know what you're doing to a certain degree.

IF it's LoL or Dota 2 go online and try to find a build for the character you like so you aren't getting asinine items and you should be fine.

Maybe I'm just good at the game? Noone has ever been as mean as everyone describes here to me. Granted I've been playing since TFT.

Yeah, I haven't had really bad experiences on LoL either when I tried it. Read up on the basic (!) concepts, play the tutorial, start doing players vs bots and you should witness very little negativity. It's more likely you will be annoyed at the people you are playing with, that didn't even do the minimum of preparation before jumping into a game that requires teamwork. Or all the afk'ers that will join your team. Mind you, I stopped playing because these games are too stressful for me personally. I feel too much pressure (mostly from myself) to play well.

#38 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

thats because it takes alot of time to type some of the stuff out and explain it... i'll agree yelling at them is dumb and shouldnt be done. id suggest if you are a new player to look at guides and stuff like that before playing. most of the time low level matches are just a troll fest because no one knows what there doing even the people who are yelling at you. at least in lol once you hit lvl 30 people seem too understand the basics

#39 Posted by yoshisaur (2606 posts) -

Jump into a match and set your text level to the lowest (so you cannot even see it) or just mute everyone when you jump in. That's pretty much what I do.

#40 Posted by TMThomsen (2070 posts) -

Yup, the worst.

#41 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5160 posts) -

Random Aside: Still can't get over the fact that DotA KILLED any creativity in the map making playerbase and thus killed Warcraft 3 and indirectly Starcraft 2 (though that was probably going down regardless) for me. It's one decent game with a fair amount of depth to it, there were fucking 50 game genres with thousands of maps in Starcraft Brood War that had a comparable amount of depth; but no now its just one and it doesn't help that the worst people on the planet play it. Starcraft 2 was still worth the 60 bones because of the 100 or so hours I got out of single player (Diamond first week in multiplayer, got bored), but it could have been a successor to the best multiplayer experience I will ever have, too bad.

#42 Edited by Heartagram (1181 posts) -

Also I feel like all of you people have never tried to get into a fighting game.

Go on Shoryuken and talk like you don't know and see how fast you get called a scrub and shunned. It's part of pretty much everything competitive.

If you go play pick up basketball and you suck you probably won't get picked next time. So if you want to continue playing you have to get better.

That's just how people are. They want to play with others that know what they're doing. Having not had a lot of complaints I do think people could be more helpful, but sometimes it's just not fun to babysit someone.

@Fredchuckdave: There were tons of other game types I played in WC3 even after DOTA came out. I can't even count how many times I played some Variation of wintermaul. Even made one myself.

That's the whole reason I got into TD games myself.

#43 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5160 posts) -

@Heartagram: Again if you're talking WC3 you probably never really got into Brood War and weren't there to see the best days and the best players to be honest, really overall the most skilled playerbase I've ever seen and just a ton of mutual respect. Here's the thing though, elitism is all well and good but only if you deserve it, so in my case you have to be better than me and I'll allow you to be elitist; if not I'll just rip you to shreds. And trust me I'm about 1 out of 100,000 in terms of player skill, I've been at the peak of almost every single genre in existence but I'm still not an elitist asshole to most random people I meet, I just like to make fun of idiots and there's no bigger punching bag full of retards than the Dota clone playerbase.

Trust me when I say this, I'm probably better than you at every single game you have ever played even if I never played it, and also better than everyone you've ever known; but I will still be nice to random people and I will still try to teach them how to play and help them out. Being a fucking douche is not something you're licensed or allowed to do unless you're completely and utterly socially incompetent, which the DotA playerbase is, make no mistake about it. Kill them all and maybe you can fix this quandary, if not anyone with sense will stay miles and miles away. Oh by the way I know the creator of DotA personally, just like every other good Brood War mapmaker (and most of the bad ones too).

#44 Posted by h83r (468 posts) -

@L44 said:

LoL is pretty terrible when it comes to people.

I went to the Tribunal to find a good example of someone you might encounter in your typical game. This kind of thing is not out of the ordinary.

Amumu[00:13:07]noob chinese
Amumu[00:13:08]sb
Leona[00:13:08]sb
Leona[00:13:09]sb
Amumu[00:13:10]stfu
Amumu[00:13:11]noob chinese
Leona[00:13:12]solo
Leona[00:13:14]jb
Amumu[00:13:17]speak english
Leona [All][00:13:18]solo

I don't think you should count that against all of the League community. You went to the Tribunal to get that. The Tribunal, for those who don't know, is the place where people who have been reported for toxic behavior get sent to see if they deserve a ban or not. And clearly that Amumu is there for a reason will more than likely get a ban. I've been playing League for about a year now, and can't say that I've come across someone that toxic so far.

Especially now with the implementation of the Honor system, I find League games and the League community to be a blast. Everyone is fairly civil for the most part. Every now and then you get the trolls but what game doesn't have trolls at this point? As far as my personal experience has gone, the League community has been fine for me.

Anyway, @xxizzypop: I don't know if Dota 2 has bots or not, but if they do, I would recommend starting out there. You'll be able to learn the basics and it's a relatively calm environment compared to a pvp match. Like others have mentioned, having friends along for the ride help too. Worst case scenario, there's always the mute button for the trolls! MOBA's are definitely a genre that you need to spend time with to understand all of its intricacies and each game can take forever to finish, but once you finally have a firm grasp and an understanding of the mechanics, I can firmly say that I haven't had a more rewarding multiplayer experience. It just feels awesome when you win a close game. Athough, on the flip side, I've felt like complete shit after losing games as well, sooo. High risk, high reward, I would say.

#45 Posted by Levio (1782 posts) -

LoL removed the ability to receive chat from enemy teams, which got rid of the bulk of the harassment, and yet it's still the worst community I've ever had to put up with. Think about that.

#46 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

MOBA communities are pretty shit. Though I guess it's just because it lends itself well to typing insults to your team/foes during play. The moba games are one of the most fun games you can play when you have a group of friends though.

#47 Posted by SSully (4117 posts) -

@Optix12 said:

Also on the subject of DoTA2 I have sadly played quite a lot of LoL and I still find that game (Dota) hard to pick up. It feels like the time investment to learn that game is just abit too much for me and im happy with the Moba i know.

Couldn't agree more. I am pretty good at LoL, level 30 and all that jazz, and I cannot break into DOTA2. I have about 12 hours in it and still feel like I know as little about it as when I played my first match.

I think the biggest issue for me is how they handle the shop. I wish it was similar to LoL where items are borken down by their use(Magic, defense, etc) because I usually end up sitting in the store longer then I should just comparing the different items.

#48 Posted by Casey25 (138 posts) -

@Olu said:

Grow some thick skin if this bothers you. It's a team based genre where 1 player can ruin a game for everyone, so this type of reaction is only natural, especially is you are playing with kids. And yeah, jumping into live games without any preparations is just begging for insults.

I agree. While assholes are assholes, assholes will always be assholes, and there will always be assholes.

If you can't grow a thick skin and learn to use the ignore button, then i guess you're missing out.

#49 Posted by TobbRobb (4553 posts) -

Still fucking terrible! Dota 2 has angry russians and elitist pricks, League has childish flamers and trolls, and HoNs last 3 players are all fuckwads.

PICK YOUR POISON!

#50 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

Random Aside: Still can't get over the fact that DotA KILLED any creativity in the map making playerbase and thus killed Warcraft 3 and indirectly Starcraft 2 (though that was probably going down regardless) for me. It's one decent game with a fair amount of depth to it, there were fucking 50 game genres with thousands of maps in Starcraft Brood War that had a comparable amount of depth; but no now its just one and it doesn't help that the worst people on the planet play it. Starcraft 2 was still worth the 60 bones because of the 100 or so hours I got out of single player (Diamond first week in multiplayer, got bored), but it could have been a successor to the best multiplayer experience I will ever have, too bad.

How is SC2 dead?