Are Multiplat games finally the same.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

I usually make a topic liek this everynow and than to properly gauge Peoples responses,a dn to find out how much Multipaltform games have Progressed over the years since the launch of PS3 (so that both 360 and PS3 are on the market, so we can comapre the multipalts) so nowadays, are Multipaltform games finally all the same (meaning theyre jsut as good on PS3 as they are 360) or are they still better on 360? how often do we get a Ghostbusters nowadays? (which I didnt think looked all that bad on PS3). I admitidly have a bit of a prefernce for my PS3, but im wondering if I honestly should just get the multiplats on 360 or not.  

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

Usually there's no gamebreaking difference between PS3 and 360 versions. Just go with whether you prefer achievements or trophies, PSN or XBL, Dual Shock or 360 controller, etc.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ravensword
@Bigandtasty:

But we still get games like Call of Juarez and Ghostbusters for some reason, which baffles me. I wonder if PS2 development was like this for Devs back in the day?
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By shadows_kill

to me there is no difference. only time it really matters is if theres tons of bugs in the games and really.... i don't really remember seeing that....

also i havent heard anything about ghostbusters.. is it really bad or something?  also i looked at a couple side by side videos of call of juarez and to me it looks better on ps3 because its a little brighter but thats the only difference...

Althalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Althalus

Well, quite a few of the PS3 multiplats still have those utterly bizzare and seemingly pointless bloated mandatory installs.  I can't understand the need for a middle of the road multiplatform game to have such an install when high end games like Uncharted and Killzone 2 don't and run/look much better.  They claim these installs help performance, but if we can't have the option to run the game without them, how do we really know that's the case?  Because the few games that it as an option, didn't actually run much better at all when I used them.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CL60

Nope

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By FCKSNAP
@Althalus said:
" Well, quite a few of the PS3 multiplats still have those utterly bizzare and seemingly pointless bloated mandatory installs.  I can't understand the need for a middle of the road multiplatform game to have such an install when high end games like Uncharted and Killzone 2 don't and run/look much better.  They claim these installs help performance, but if we can't have the option to run the game without them, how do we really know that's the case?  Because the few games that it as an option, didn't actually run much better at all when I used them. "
Multiplat usually means they were meant to load certain data at a certain speed. Exclusives always have bluray in mind so they know to program a certain way rather than being an after-thought.
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ket87

Most games these days are virtually identical, only thing that differs majorly is exclusive content typically leaning towards the 360 since Microsoft sees no problem in paying exuberant amounts of money for exclusive or timed exclusive DLC. Personally I am starting to lean towards PS3 in terms of online, say what you want about PSN but in terms of getting a stable connection their free servers sure beat the hell out of Microsoft's $50 a year lag fest P2P connection. Only difference outside of that is social when it comes to online, where your friends are playing.

Now this recent equilibrium in multi-plats is ever so often broken by devs that don't care, Ghostbusters is a recent half assed effort for a PS3 port. Last years Fallout 3 was a pretty  bad one too, can't believe Bethesda had the nerve to release the game with tons of bugs and downgraded graphics. With no trophies at launch and timed exclusive DLC. And with all the Activision anti-PS3 bias going around these days I have a bad feeling about what Modern Warfare 2 is going to be like for PS3. We already know that Microsoft bought it's way into two timed exclusive map packs so I can only imagine what else could go wrong for it besides Activision suddenly making good on its threat to stop making PS3 games altogether.

All in all you really don't have to worry about which console you buy a game for anymore they are all about even. Just be sure to check around with some reviews first before purchasing, not so much for the score of the game but most decent reviewers will look at both versions and will likely call attention to discrepencies between them.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By captain_clayman

nowadays, they're pretty much identical.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Althalus said:
" Well, quite a few of the PS3 multiplats still have those utterly bizzare and seemingly pointless bloated mandatory installs.  I can't understand the need for a middle of the road multiplatform game to have such an install when high end games like Uncharted and Killzone 2 don't and run/look much better.  They claim these installs help performance, but if we can't have the option to run the game without them, how do we really know that's the case?  Because the few games that it as an option, didn't actually run much better at all when I used them. "
It's actually true that Blu-Ray discs cannot be read as fast as a DVD and in order to prevent atrocious load times, all games run off of Blu-Ray have to be installed to a hard drive, which can read data much faster. That's the downside to all the extra storage space.
j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By j0rdan

I would only buy a multiplatform game on PS3 if its both single player AND its on special offer cheaper than the 360 version.

I have both consoles and i love my PS3 too, but all my multiplayer multiplatform games are on my 360 purely because XBL is so much better.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

No.There will always be differences between all the versions of these games, sometimes they are slight, while other times they are not so. They can range from differences in quality of the engine, like graphics resolution and textures, and colour palette, to something as simple as control input. Also, don't forget the PC.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Between 360 and PS3 - More or less. Any differences will be negligible.
Between 360/PS3 and PC - No. The PC version will be far more scalable, and have the potential for mods.
Between 360/PS3/PC and wii - No. The wii will obviously have greatly downscaled graphics and usually a very different control scheme.

Innovacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Innovacious
@MattyFTM said:
"Between 360/PS3 and PC - No. The PC version will be far more scalable, and have the potential for mods"
Or... It will be just a terribly done port of the console versions, will come out 6 months later and have no extra content or mod capabilities to show for it. The developers will try to market "Mouse control" as an actual feature. Optimised so badly that the more money you spend on your computer, the worse it runs.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By flaminghobo

Multiplatform games can never be the same for obvious reasons.

• All consoles as well as PCs have different graphical capabilities.
  • Different control schemes e.g. Wiimote, Dualshock, Mouse and Keyboard.
  • With the PS3 using Blu Ray discs, the amount of sheer content that can be stored on a disc is huge when compared to a standard 8GB DVD.
  • When a movie tie-in goes multiplatform, it's usually different game studios developing for different platforms. One dev team usually helms a X360, PS3, Wii and PC version, where as other dev teams may helm the other platforms.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ravensword

lol, watch Activisions gonna bork the PS3 version of MW2 just to spite sony. I wouldnt doubt it.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Bullshit. There ARE differences between the multiplat games on 360 & PS3.  For one, MORE expansions are offered on the 360 side, not the PS3 side.  For the other, many people have stated the controllers don't operate as well on the PS3 side in multiplatform games. Many people have stated this already. So I'm surprised to hear all the "nopes" despite all the factual evidence that has been presented all over the gaming interwebs.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By coaxmetal

It seems to me that the majority of major multiplatform releases are essentially the same, though there may be graphical differences (usually noticable on PC versions of multiplatform games, since modern gaming PC's have better hardware than the consoles, so most games can take advantage of that). PC versions also usually get the option of keyboard/mouse controlls, though PC games that are out on consoles usually support using the 360 controller, so the controls, in that respect, are just like in Windows.
Basically, most games are essentially the same, the PC is the platform that has to most differences due to its different nature (for example, in COD4, you can view a server list and choose one, while on the 360 you can only specify game type and stuff) FPS's on PC's, of course, play quite differenty, since keyboard and mouse are a control option.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ravensword

Honestly, im owrried for Batman: Arkahm Asylum on PS3. To the best of My knowledge, the Eidos games on PS3 havent been good Quality Porting wise, anf I dont even know what the hell Rocksteady has done. this makes me think there gonna start deving on 360 first, adn its gonna be shit on PS3. even if Joker is on PS3, I still dont wanna get PS3 version if its washed out and bad.