Are older consoles even worth anything now?

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Toxeia

I've been looking at clearing stuff out of my entertainment center and I'd really prefer not to just throw it out or give it away. Problem is I don't even think I could get money for them anymore. I've looked at local flea markets and no one there's interested. Same thing with pawn shops, they're too busy trying to get rid of poorly maintained 360's and old style PS3s.

As it stands I've got two NES systems,a SNES, N64, Game Cube, PS2 and an original XBox. For the NES I've probably got something like... 100-150 cartridges, about 20-30 for the SNES and N64 each, 25 PS1, 15 PS2, and looks like about 6 XBox games.

My other idea is to melt them down into a giant plastic and lead bat I can use to mug pedestrians, but that doesn't seem realistic.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

You have common systems, they are not worth much on the market. Software wise, there are some games from the older systems that can sell really well, but it is not a long list.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Possibly if they were unopened in mint condition. If they aren't they are worth about as much as an old 486 computer and Wing Commander on 3.5" floppy's.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Toxeia

Yeah, that's what I figured. They are all of course opened. I don't think I even have any of the original boxes/manuals. At least I can take solace in having purchased the majority of these from pawn shops and so I spent very little on them.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jrinswand

Ahh! Send me the NES stuff NAO! I'll give you a high five and single tear for it.

bighat_logan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By bighat_logan

no

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By frankfartmouth

You can certainly get money for those on ebay. I've been buying and selling used games and systems on there for years. You've got some good stuff. You're not going to get rich off it or anything, but for all that stuff together, it would be more than worth your time. If you don't use ebay or want some suggestions, pm me and I'll help you

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ninjakiller

You fool, you sell or destroy those you'll regret it later. Save em, set up a gaming room.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've personally sold repaired NES systems for about $50 a piece. Gray standard n64's you could sell for about $10 each. Same for the Gamecube. A good condition SNES, without heavy yellow stains, could probably fetch about $25. XBOX systems are pretty much worthless, you might be able to squeeze about $10 for them though I suppose, but you'll be sitting on them for awhile. PS1's you are looking at about $15 a piece. PS2's still fetch about $45-50 bucks, but that's dropping by the day. The cartridges, baring any rare ones, you rarely can sell without bundling. Expect maybe $2-3 per game in general. Some NES games I've sold I managed to get $30-$50 for, but those are really exceptions.

So for everything you got maybe, just ballpark, something like $490-$550 worth of product, if you can manage to find the right buyers.

No Caption Provided

I'll give you about $5 for all of it.

farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By farmer

That episode of Storage Wars where Mark tries to sell a NES for $3000 is fucking hilarious.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By frankfartmouth

@allworkandlowpay said:

I've personally sold repaired NES systems for about $50 a piece. Gray standard n64's you could sell for about $10 each. Same for the Gamecube. A good condition SNES, without heavy yellow stains, could probably fetch about $25. XBOX systems are pretty much worthless, you might be able to squeeze about $10 for them though I suppose, but you'll be sitting on them for awhile. PS1's you are looking at about $15 a piece. PS2's still fetch about $45-50 bucks, but that's dropping by the day. The cartridges, baring any rare ones, you rarely can sell without bundling. Expect maybe $2-3 per game in general. Some NES games I've sold I managed to get $30-$50 for, but those are really exceptions.

So for everything you got maybe, just ballpark, something like $490-$550 worth of product, if you can manage to find the right buyers.

No Caption Provided

This is all 100%. I usually don't get as much for NES's, more like 25 or 30. I also usually don't get as much for PS1's, more like 8. Make sure you charge enough for shipping on the low cost consoles or you could end up paying someone to take them off your hands. The cube, Xbox, and PS1 are all deprecated by backwards compatibility, so their market is pretty much gone. I agree on keeping the games bundled, but any games you have of value need to be researched and unbundled, as guys like me and allworkandlowpay are always on the lookout for suckers who just throw a bunch of valuable games in a box and put it up for auction ;)

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jrinswand

You guys really need to stop telling him all the secrets. OP, I will give you $20, no more and no less, for the NES and all the games.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mtcantor

If you really must get rid of it all, sell it on ebay.

You won't make much money on any of it, unless you have something rare or desirable, but selling it to a pawn/thrift store is just such a waste. At least on ebay you can make the buyer pay for the shipping, and you will probably get more cash. Plus the games stand a better chance of actually ending up in someones hands, as opposed to a dark storage closet in a goodwill.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14  Edited By JasonR86

It really depends on the system, it's condition, and, in some cases, the version of the system.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Toxeia

I don't have a PS1, I sold that when I got my PS2 for... I think $100 with a spindle of Playstation Underground demo discs.

I know I've got an old excel sheet of the NES games somewhere. I should try to dig that up.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By HadesTimes

I sold my NES like 2 years ago on Ebay for $50. So probably. But the real trick is that they need to be complete and in working condition. I think the older consoles like NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, etc... Are probably worth a descent amount. But the PSone, PS2, XBOX, etc.... Probably aren't worth as much because older people for the most part bought them and PS2s are still sold today as new. So I would definitely investigate your NES, SNES and N64. But the newer consoles, probably are worth keeping around just to play old games. I hear the PS2 version of Silent Hill 2 is better than the HD Collection version, :) just sayin....

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NegativeCero

I don't have space for older stuff, so I'll use emulators. If I happen to own the console I don't mind buying the games for it. Although even game boxes are taking more space than I would hope.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By FrankCanada97

@Farmer said:

That episode of Storage Wars where Mark tries to sell a NES for $3000 is fucking hilarious.

Dude at the store didn't even know what to say.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@FrankCanada97 said:

@Farmer said:

Dude at the store didn't even know what to say.

This 001 first Nintendo DS is probably worth 13K allright.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SpaceRunaway

The thing with old NES catridges is, the materials they're made out of is actually highly toxic, and has to be disposed of carefully. PM me and I'll give you an address for a place that will take care of them for you, with no extra charge. You'll need to cover shipping though.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By subject2change

@allworkandlowpay: It's funny cause I used to work on "Pawn Stars" in the Post-Production department.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By beforet

I recently bought a gamecube for 30 bucks if that helps.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By hawkinson76

wait, no kids, nieces, young cousins to gift at least the S/NES to? My 9 year old daughter plays a lot of classic games on her DS.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RandomHero666

I've sold shit loads of consoles and games on ebay, have made a small fortune off games but next to nothing off consoles.

I've found that I can easily sell any N64 game for £10(whatever that is in your currency)
Other games I've sold for quite a lot more.

Resident Evil 2 on N64 with box, manual n shit.. £50 easy
Conkers Bad Fur day on N64 with box n shit.. £80 easy

you don't get that much less for games that don't have their original boxes, maybe with the exception of rarer games as people usually buy them as collecters items. I've seen old sun stained Conkers carts sell for more than a new Xbox 360 game a few times

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By AngelN7

@allworkandlowpay said:

No Caption Provided

Arrgh! that guy is such an asshole I hate that show so much! fucking people if you think your garbage is worth something then don't take it to that show you'll spare the shame.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AngelN7 said:

\

Arrgh! that guy is such an asshole I hate that show so much! fucking people if you think your garbage is worth something then don't take it to that show you'll spare the shame.

He really doesn't rip them off as much as they say. Usually the sellers are the ones asking ridiculous prices up to the full collector value (which you can rarely if ever get for even the hottest items.) All Rick and co are doing are ensuring that they have enough wiggle room to end up making a profit at the end of the day. The item's size, rarity and general sellability all roll into what the ideal price will be for purchase.

I'll give you a random example. Guy comes in with a vintage chest. Rick calls in an "expert" which is usually a museum appraiser. He estimates it based on other similar items, or just "feels" for what he thinks it would go for. These are both very loose ballpark prices. He says the chest is worth $1,500.

Rick will usually lowball the price first, not because he is trying to fuck over the seller, but because he knows the greedy bastard will try to fuck him. Rick will offer $600 for it, knowing he's looking to pay between $800-$850 for the chest. If he offered he top dollar, the seller would come back and volley at a higher number. Typically people instinctively try to add $200-300 to a negotiation like this.

Now, why $800? Because first, the experts appraisal is not spot on. He isn't likely to get $1,500 for the piece. Second, the piece needs to take up a part of the limited floor space in order to be sold. That essentially costs money, as it limits the amount of items he can have out on the floor. The larger the piece, the more money it will cost in terms of lost revenue from taking up space. If it isn't on the floor, it'll cost even more money as his employees spend time searching for dealers or paying an auction house to sell it.

So its wages + space - estimated revenue. Basically all that "douchebaggy haggling" you see where you think Rick is screwing people over, is there to ensure he is looking for at least 20% profit in the end.

And yes, if they want more money, they should work for it and actually do the foot work to sell their collectibles. There's a reason why they go to that pawn store to sell it, because doing it the other way is fucking hard work. Trust me.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iam3green

funny with the auction wars nintendo thing. i remember my friend called me when he saw that and asked if i had a nintendo. he said it might be worth $13,000 i was like no it's not. i don't have that stadium game that is worth a lot of money.

just think people, in like 30 years ps3, xbox 360, and wii are going to be worth money. maybe not so much 360 as they break a lot.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#29  Edited By bobafettjm

It will all depend on the games, with that many NES games there is a chance to add up to a nice total. A lot of NES games these days are going up slightly in value, but for common games they are generally worth a couple of bucks.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By nintendoeats

When I was I high school I made about 25 dollars a pop buying SNES's at Value Village and Ebaying them. The others...don't expect much. Sorry.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By senorfuzzeh

I personally love my old consoles. I pull out my n64 and ps2 all the time!

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Toxeia

Hearing "a few bucks" on NES cartridges is getting me excited. I've got some time tomorrow and I need to clean out the room where this stuff is buried. I should pull it out and see if I can find the list of games - or make another one. I doubt I've got anything that's too expensive, but I've got The Adventures of Bayou Billy and that's all that matters.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By nightriff

@Toxeia said:

I've been looking at clearing stuff out of my entertainment center and I'd really prefer not to just throw it out or give it away. Problem is I don't even think I could get money for them anymore. I've looked at local flea markets and no one there's interested. Same thing with pawn shops, they're too busy trying to get rid of poorly maintained 360's and old style PS3s.

As it stands I've got two NES systems,a SNES, N64, Game Cube, PS2 and an original XBox. For the NES I've probably got something like... 100-150 cartridges, about 20-30 for the SNES and N64 each, 25 PS1, 15 PS2, and looks like about 6 XBox games.

My other idea is to melt them down into a giant plastic and lead bat I can use to mug pedestrians, but that doesn't seem realistic.

Dude I'll take whatever shit you don't want, looking to increase the collection

If you send a list of what you actually have lets discuss what's what both sides think are fair.

UdderDischarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By UdderDischarge

Id totally spring for a nintendo in NM condition if the price was right, I would probably spend %50 on it, the problem is, most people with there hdtv in 1080p im not sure the display would work.

Gimme mega man!!!

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Hizang

I'd keep it and pass it down to future generations, let them experience REAL gaming.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#36  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I would keep it, as selling stuff has led to some regrets later on (who knew that used copies of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door would still be like $20? Damn the foolishness of youth.) and the raw appeal of having a collection like that has always seemed like something I would be into. Of course, when you end up like Jeff, maybe you do want to cut back a little.

That's also because unless your systems and games are in great condition, I doubt you would get very much for them. The creepy electronics pawn shop (In addition to DVDs and games, you can buy vinyl records, incense and pristine Star Wars figurines. Hell, for a while they had a legit Devil May Cry 3 slot machine imported from Japan) and the Play N Trade in my city both sell SNES and N64s for $30ish, which isn't that much. The games are a different story, as they gleefully price gouge the games worth playing, such as Super Mario Kart, which was more expensive than the SNES one would play it on.