#1 Edited by GameReviews (13 posts) -

As the value of these games are still on the rise, is anyone buying these games to play them or to collect them. Myself I still like to play as I feel that they have more of a memorable feel to them, and as for the new games that are coming out are either multiplayer games or open world games.

As for you guys do you still play a NES or a Genesis game here or there?

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Yes. All the time.

#3 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Yes, I still buy a lot of old carts too.

#4 Posted by NickBOTT (481 posts) -
@GameReviews:  My friends and I fire up some Family Feud for the NES every now and then.  The toughest part is putting your mind into 1991 mode bc that's when the game was released.  Questions like, "name a famous news reporter," are way tougher bc it's like hmmmm who was reporting back in 91? lol
#5 Posted by GameReviews (13 posts) -
@NickBOTT
Haha thats pretty cool.....sad part is i wasnt even born in 1991 lol. I just really enjoy the older games more than the new ones. 
#6 Posted by AltonBrown (949 posts) -

On topic, I have my SNES hooked up to my old CRT. The thing still gets used pretty frequently.

#7 Posted by NickBOTT (481 posts) -
@GameReviews: Oh man...now that makes me feel old lol
#8 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I play FF4 and 6 every few years, but other than that, not really. Sometimes something old comes out for XBL Arcade and I get excited and buy it, then it sucks because it's old and boring. Some old games will always be good, but many old games sucked ass even when they were new heh

#9 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

That's like asking if babies are still being born.

#10 Edited by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

Barely ever

#11 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

Lately, I play retro games more often than newer titles. I don't know why, but I love the classics. Additionally, most newer titles I've played have been games like Cave Story and Mega Man 10, which are retro.
#12 Posted by MightyDuck (1521 posts) -

I still hook up the old NES and Genesis occasionally.  Definitely brings back memories of early grade school.

#13 Posted by blueaniman93 (604 posts) -

I play old PC games and PS1 games.

The PC games are mostly because of Steam Sales and the PS1 games are all numbered Final Fantasy games.

#14 Posted by jeresur (19 posts) -

i play some old playstation classics like metal gear solid, syphon filter and xbla games like centipede or earth worm jim. personaly i think they are better than modern games. RETRO FTW

#15 Posted by Cathryn (545 posts) -

Over the past few years I've played a lot of old PC adventure games and sometimes I'll pick up the odd game here and there on XBLA or PSN. I also have a bunch of virtual console stuff on my Wii, though I haven't even turned that thing on in quite a long time :/

I didn't play games from about 1994-2005 (other than some PC adventure games here and there), so I've been playing some downloadable PSX titles on PSN as well, like FFVII and Parasite Eve. I've always got a lot to catch up on, so I love having access to older games.

#16 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

I play N64, PS1, PS2 and Gamecube games on the (semi) regular. I also still play certain game boy and GBA games, my NES and SNES got sold at a car boot years ago by my dad and I never got new ones. I do have a fair amount of virtual console games though.

#17 Edited by Abram03 (36 posts) -

Oh, yes, all the time!  NES, TG-16, old arcade, SNES, Sega Genesis, Master System . . . I love that stuff!  The continuing popularity of old games, and the success of new games with retro ambiance, prove that simple mechanics and 2D fields of play will never be phased out. 

#18 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2216 posts) -

There was a stage 2 years back where I was collecting SNES games, trying to get them complete with box and instruction is either expensive or rare but very satisfying (especially A Link To The Past which cost me the price of a new game). Unfortunately I don't really play them and the only one I've managed to beat was Super Metroid.

#19 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Yes I play them.

#20 Posted by GameReviews (13 posts) -
@jeresur
IF you ever get a chance to play a playstation classic, play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. 

That game is fucking awesome!
#21 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

It depends on what defines retro. I've been playing some of the older Zelda games, but only delving into the 3d portions (OoT, MM, and WW). I'm also going to play Chrono Trigger on my DS soon, since I never have and only hear good things about it.

#22 Posted by Frederik (377 posts) -

Just played Wario on my gameboy yesterday

#23 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@GameReviews said:

@jeresur: IF you ever get a chance to play a playstation classic, play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. That game is fucking awesome!

It is really? I have never heard of this game. What is it about? Is it a shadowtroid type deal?

I don't play them much, but I have an epic collection of old carts.

#24 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

GoG.com

End of fucking story.

#25 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I still play some of my old favorite PS1 RPGs. Not exactly retro, but classics non-the-less. I was thinking about buying a SNES again, but I don't need to waste the money.

#26 Posted by DAFTPUNK (1213 posts) -

<3

#27 Posted by Dalai (7016 posts) -

I've been neglecting my retro game collection this year. I bought Chrono Trigger on the Virtual Console and haven't touched it yet... perhaps I should already.

#28 Posted by Jeust (10537 posts) -

I'm currently playing International Superstar Soccer Deluxe on the Snes. 

#29 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (466 posts) -

Dingoo A320. Google it.

#30 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

on occasion.  PS1 still gets played frequently, i'm gonna try and beat some of my n64 and snes games once i finish up my newer games.

#31 Posted by Pezen (1591 posts) -

Not really. I used to a lot more but I realized I was killing my memories of those games and those experiences as a kid, and I wanted to keep them as intact as I could. Nowadays I just youtube songs from the games or watch a quick clip of the games if I am feeling nostalgic. And while I wouldn't call PS1 "retro" (but it might be, I don't know how you define it), I do at times put in and play through Suikoden 1 & 2 again as they're two of my all time favorite games.

#32 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I was playing an emulated version of Snatcher on the Sega CD, but then I left it for a few days, that turned into a few weeks, and now booting it up, I'm just confused as hell.

#33 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

I just started going over Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door again, does that count? Also I fucking love this game! One of my top 3 for sure.

#34 Posted by Raakill (870 posts) -

I have the Megadrive collection from Sega on my netbook. Occasionally play SNES with my cousin. Old fighting games pretty often via ggpo's adobe air app.

#35 Posted by GameReviews (13 posts) -
@nintendoeats
Its probably the best Castlevania game. Just a sidescroller 2d game. Its known to be a easy pick for a top 100 game of all time.
#36 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@GameReviews: (yo, I was making fun of your post. I know what SotN is.)

#37 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I play my SNES a few times a year. 
#38 Posted by AuthenticM (3706 posts) -

I play them all the time.

#39 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

kind of, i play emulator on my computer. i don't have a working NES. i don't plan on looking for one.

#40 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

Always, nuff said

#41 Posted by jeresur (19 posts) -
@GameReviews: I have played it and your right it's FUCKING AWESOME.
#42 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2379 posts) -

hell yeah.

#43 Posted by TwoLines (2793 posts) -

SNES, NES, original GameBoy/Gameboy color, sometimes Atari 2600 games. Also Arcade (via emulators, shhh...) GBA, Playstation, N64 (although those last three are hardly retro, come on). I play them all the time. 
I never played anything on any SEGA system.

#44 Posted by uvschism (45 posts) -

I think "here or there" is the right way to put it. I'll play an old game, but if its not on VC or something, I'm not thrilled with the hassle of pulling out an old system.

#45 Posted by DillonWerner (1526 posts) -

Not really, I should be though. I miss them.