Are Rock, Paper, Shotgun readers basically impossible to please?

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BisonHero

OK, I imagine this will probably cause some backlash, but that was the mildest thread title I could come up with. Here are some examples from the comments of their review of Mark of the Ninja:

No Caption Provided

"Oh no, the game doesn't have exactly the kind of save system that traditional PC games have, I SUDDENLY HAVE NO INTEREST IN IT."

No Caption Provided

"Let me belittle anyone who thinks MotN is a good stealth game by assuming that they're console gamers who have only played the Assassin's Creed series. LOL, AMIRITE GUIZE?"

Not all of the comments are that negative, but there is a pattern of that sort of stuff in the comments of most of their articles. I know that's not unique to RPS in particular, but I think I would almost prefer the idiot 12-year-olds and trolls of something like Kotaku to the arrogant pricks of RPS.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cincaid

Hipsterism is a plague that is rapidly spreading, and we can all do our part to hinder it further. Knowledge is power!

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

you should see the gog forums sometimes

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Are we trying to start some internet conflict with RPS? Because I will totally join the Giant Bomb army in that regard. Too long have we sufficed in going after NeoGAF. Of course, considering that RPS is a site where most of the writers are old-guard PC enthusiasts (or elitists, I guess), it doesn't surprise me that it attracts the same kind of readership with more extreme positions.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ShaggE

That's fandom for you. Any entertainment medium is going to be overrun with that sort of thing. Look at the iMDB boards, for instance. People get goddamn VICIOUS if you say you like/dislike a movie. Doesn't matter what the movie is.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Giant Bomb is the best of both worlds, we have 12 year olds AND arrogant pricks!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@FancySoapsMan said:

you should see the gog forums sometimes

The GOG forums are hilarious. The amount of people talking about Steam as if it's some great evil because it occasionally requires you to connect to the internet to play your games (despite having an offline mode) are numerous, which goes along well with all of the "Games used to be so much better in the olden days, all these modern games are dumb 13 year old Call of Duty idiot garbage" mentality. Also, at one point someone tried to tell me that Divinity II was a good game.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AlexW00d

@SaturdayNightSpecials said:

Giant Bomb is the best of both worlds, we have 12 year olds AND arrogant pricks!

Yeah pretty much. I don't see how this has anything to do with what fucking website said comments are posted too.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BisonHero

@AlexW00d said:

Yeah pretty much. I don't see how this has anything to do with what fucking website said comments are posted too.

I guess I'm just noticing that RPS is pretty light on straight up trolls and people who must be children, but then has a fairly high amount of people who are condescending assholes. I guess it has the same problems as NeoGAF, in that the site doesn't have as much appeal to children/teens and trolls, so the irritating class of people that you're most likely to find are condescending assholes.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By alternate

Not sure why you single our RPS. Seems like any other forum.

MrSlapHappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By MrSlapHappy

While we are picking fights, why dont we go after youtube commenters and amazon reviewers too. Then we can be sure we are fighting the entire internet instead of just some part of it. The vocal minority they call them. They aren't impossible to please, its just that if all those mechanics would have been the way these people wanted them, a whole different group would be bitching about it instead.

@ArbitraryWater said:

Of course, considering that RPS is a site where most of the writers are old-guard PC enthusiasts (or elitists, I guess), it doesn't surprise me that it attracts the same kind of readership with more extreme positions.

Also, well said sir. Something about the term Old-guard just made me nod in agreement before I had finished reading the sentence.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really don't see what is wrong with the first one. How a save system works can drastically effect a game, possibly in a way you don't want it to making it not an enjoyable time.

also the AC games really aren't stealth games

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Animasta

I'd rather pick fights with the terrible terrible pun comment threads the RPS writers encourage

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By MariachiMacabre

It's ok. They're missing out on one of the best stealth games ever and one of the best games of the year by writing off MotN like children. That's solace enough for me.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Questionable

Hey atleast it's not destructoid

breenmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By breenmachine

I like some of the editorials in RPS, even if I don't abide by some of their reviews. However, the comment threads are pretty toxic at times. I guess a website with a more niche viewpoint attracts more people with more radical feelings.

breenmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By breenmachine

@Questionable: Oooooh, god. Don't remind me.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Example1013

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#19  Edited By Little_Socrates

Yeah, we definitely don't have these kinds of violent reactions to things like art style here on Giant Bomb. Nope, we definitely don't have people constantly whining about almost every editor on the site, yelling at each other when an E.R. is mentioned, or condescending to communities distant from our own.

Like, I love Giant Bomb too, guys. I think you guys are the coolest people on the 'net, and the editors are cooler than being cool. That is to say, they are ice cold. All right? I wouldn't hang out here as much as I do if I didn't feel that way. But we're not perfect, and talking shit about other communities just seems completely lame. Especially when it's for something as common and inessential as this.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheHumanDove

Hey, at least it's not kotaku

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hero_swe

I believe Rock Paper Shotgun's community is better than giantbomb's.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jimbo

They're certainly more discerning than your average 'YESSSS ANOTHER HALOS!!!!' game site user. But then they're more discerning in their choice of platform too, so it shouldn't be that surprising.

As to your points:

1. Shitty checkpointing systems which force you to repeat easy sections before you get to a tricky section should get called out for being shitty. Nobody has patience for that shit anymore.

2."Let me belittle anyone who thinks MotN is a good stealth game by assuming that they're console gamers who have only played the Assassin's Creed series. LOL, AMIRITE GUIZE?" - Uhh... nobody in your screenshot even mentions consoles? Top argument.

PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PokeIkzai

I really don't mind that. They seem to have some good criticisms going for it. Sure it sucks that it means someone won't purchase it but whatever they're entitled. I'd rather see discussion like that over mindless praise any day.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By laserbolts

No worse than the kind of shit I read on this site. Jesus the chat for live stuff is usually downright embarrassing. Don't let a few bad apples ruin it for you.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Milkman

Who gives a shit?

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Holy shit it's an internet forum! The only thing about RPS that I dislike is the way their fans talk about reviews on other sites. The whole holier than thou because we don't have scores shit is just annoying. Scores are still a good thing if you are familiar with that author's work and tastes.

edit: I just want to point out that I don't have a problem with the RPS reviews since my comment could have been read that way.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

@Cincaid said:

Hipsterism is a plague that is rapidly spreading, and we can all do our part to hinder it further. Knowledge is power!

Where are the hipsters here? I see no ironic enjoyment of bad media properties, throwback clothing and indie music anywhere.

Anyway yeah Rock Paper Shotgun seems to have the worst PC fans on staff. Just reading their bit on the new XCOM, even though it was favorable and the writer clearly enjoyed it, the guy couldn't write a paragraph without mentioning some feature or another from the original X-Com that was "missing" or that made the original better in some way or another.

I get the need to compare the two, but that shouldn't be the focus of one's piece about XCOM, because the game is a lot more than a simple remake of the original, there's clearly an attempt to create something original and develop the series in a new direction while he was just pining for the exact same experience he had 20 years ago. Christ, I bet if they all had their way we'd all be playing games on Apple-IIs only.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Animasta

@MikkaQ said:

@Cincaid said:

Where are the hipsters here? I see no ironic enjoyment of bad media properties, throwback clothing and indie music anywhere.

Anyway yeah Rock Paper Shotgun seems to have the worst PC fans on staff. Just reading their bit on the new XCOM, even though it was favorable and the writer clearly enjoyed it, the guy couldn't write a paragraph without mentioning some feature or another from the original X-Com that was "missing" or that made the original better in some way or another.

I get the need to compare the two, but that shouldn't be the focus of one's piece about XCOM, because the game is a lot more than a simple remake of the original, there's clearly an attempt to create something original and develop the series in a new direction while he was just pining for the exact same experience he had 20 years ago. Christ, I bet if they all had their way we'd all be playing games on Apple-IIs only.

no because they hate the mac

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By abendlaender

Well, looking at the comments of some Quick Looks could make me feel like Giant Bomb has the worst community on the internet. Remember the Dust: Elysian Tale QL? Yeah....

@GrantHeaslip said:

I'm not sure the second example is really proving what you think it is, but the level of entitlement and elitism in the hardcore PC gaming community can be pretty amusing. I obviously don't want to paint with too broad of a brush, but there's a sizeable contingent that seem to think that consoles are ruining gaming, people are being irrational for not dropping $800 (+ upgrades every few years) for gaming PC, or that the only reason PC gaming hasn't taken off more is that developers don't cater to their niche demands.

See, I'm a PC only guy and everytime I read something like this I just want to scream. Urgh...

This stupid fucking "well, OBVIOUSLY the PC version HAS to bee superior to the peasant version, otherwise it isn't worthy to be played on my mighty rig. And also consoles are the death of gaming because mainstream and Call of Duty and lol grafix meepmeepmeep" attitude annoys me so much, it almost makes me ashamed to be a PC gamer. "Fortunately" console fanboys are just as stupid but man....I really want the ability to punch people over the internet.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MikkaQ

@Animasta said:

@MikkaQ said:

@Cincaid said:

no because they hate the mac

Hahaha true enough. Though the Apple II was pre-mac and if any big-time PC gamer disses it, they basically don't understand anything about nothing. That thing is a treasure trove of classics.

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By crazyleaves
@BisonHero

@AlexW00d said:

I guess I'm just noticing that RPS is pretty light on straight up trolls and people who must be children, but then has a fairly high amount of people who are condescending assholes. I guess it has the same problems as NeoGAF, in that the site doesn't have as much appeal to children/teens and trolls, so the irritating class of people that you're most likely to find are condescending assholes.

A high concentration of assholes? Sounds like my family reunion. Boom!
Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Deusx

Welcome to the internet kid.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zombie2011

You should check out the GB review comments, if you think this site is any better.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By crusader8463

Every online community based around any topic are full of stupid people like that. It's something that has sadly taken me longer than I wish it had to realize, but the comments section of any topic will be full of nothing of value. Ether it's just mindless praise of no discussion value or people bitching and moaning about things of no real relevance that don't deserve the attention or the time of replying to them. Then the few times someone actually posts something of value it gets drowned out by all the nonsense.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Animasta

@zombie2011 said:

You should check out the GB review comments, if you think this site is any better.

RPS encourages more of that mindset though; they can be very hipsterish at times (though Quinns left who was the biggest offender of this so)

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Everyone has their own opinion.

But not every opinion should be listened to when it comes to certain stuff. 

Their loss on a great game.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@Little_Socrates said:

Yeah, we definitely don't have these kinds of violent reactions to things like art style here on Giant Bomb. Nope, we definitely don't have people constantly whining about almost every editor on the site, yelling at each other when an E.R. is mentioned, or condescending to communities distant from our own.

Like, I love Giant Bomb too, guys. I think you guys are the coolest people on the 'net, and the editors are cooler than being cool. That is to say, they are ice cold. All right? I wouldn't hang out here as much as I do if I didn't feel that way. But we're not perfect, and talking shit about other communities just seems completely lame. Especially when it's for something as common and inessential as this.

This, mind your own damn business, OP. You might as well be complaining about the whole internet.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By cornbredx

Looks similar to comments on this site sometimes. So, nothing unusual for the internet or people in general.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jimbo

@Animasta said:

@zombie2011 said:

RPS encourages more of that mindset though; they can be very hipsterish at times (though Quinns left who was the biggest offender of this so)

Also their best writer, imo.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By endaround

Stupid RPS comments! There is nothing there about how Patrick ruins everything, how Ryan is terrible at Quick Looks, how Brad sucks at playing games, and how Jeff hates my favorite genre. You know the serious important topics that are handled which such class at Giantbomb.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By _Zombie_

@Example1013 said:

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BisonHero

@crusader8463 said:

Every online community based around any topic are full of stupid people like that. It's something that has sadly taken me longer than I wish it had to realize, but the comments section of any topic will be full of nothing of value. Ether it's just mindless praise of no discussion value or people bitching and moaning about things of no real relevance that don't deserve the attention or the time of replying to them. Then the few times someone actually posts something of value it gets drowned out by all the nonsense.

I did actually come to a similar conclusion. The "everything must have comments now" is one of the aspects I hate about Web 2.0, because it honestly adds next to nothing. It just leads to the worst parts of internet forums to leak into the bottom of like every single article and video that gets posted anywhere. 99% of comments either don't add much to the discussion, or are actively terrible and ignorant. I would be totally fine if news articles and videos didn't have comments anymore, because they are rarely as measured and civil as the original article/video.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By Fallen189

Youre only making this thread to instigate stupid discussion. Theyre no different to ANY other game community. Have you even READ this forum?

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By Rasgueado

Yeah I'm an RPS reader as well, I just generally tend not to comment on many things. I'm going to echo what's few people have said on here already as well. There are idiots everywhere you go.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Karl_Boss

@MikkaQ said:

@Cincaid said:

People misuse the hipster term all the time.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EXTomar

The trick seems to be is to not please anyone but to make a game that satisfies themselves.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CL60

It's funny because Giant Bomb acts like this + thinks they don't.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By indiana_jenkins

Those comment threads seem fine. Some people hate replaying a section, and Assassin's Creed is a different kind of stealth game. Maybe they could have said it nicer, but this is the internet.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Animasta

@Jimbo said:

@Animasta said:

@zombie2011 said:

Also their best writer, imo.

motherfucker thought little lamplight was one of the better parts of fallout 3, so whatever (I liked his pathologic stuff as much as anyone mind you)