Are the gaming-dry months really that bad?

Demo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Demo

Study time is clawing at my freetime like an avid vampire, and no matter how much my 360 stuffs garlic up its arse, I will have to submit to the last epic effort of rising my grades via two hours of a trial of knowledge, where my fate is decided by what my controller-morphed hands manage to impart upon a piece of paper. An exam, more or less. Probably more. The Hourglass Of Dying Spring isn't stopping.

Amid the pleasures of Hell I relish, re-arranging the vital organs of the demons that I share shuddery compassion with (Hell is such a warming little furnace) in Doom 3: Resurrection Of Evil. I'm reaching the end in Veteran, hoping the Nightmare mode is harder, but not as hard as the included Nightmare mode in Ultimate Doom. Sorry but I hate the original Ultimate Doom, specially on Nightmare, give me PS1 Doom anyday (or Japanese Saturn Doom), the soundtrack in that version is so much more compeling and eerily beautiful.
I'm drifting away from the point however, Doom 3 ROE  will be the last game I play fully until after the exams. After that I will get on with Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (an antidote to the agonizing heat of Summer) and I'm planning on getting Fable for Xbox, REmake or RE Zero and Street Fighter 4 (I really hope the latter isn't as frustrating as Super Turbo). I may import Contra 4 too.

Those games plus some others for DS and Gamecube will easily fill up my time throughout the Summer. No longer do I have to go to the beach and lie belly down, watching the mermaids (or perhaps hidden succubuses), like a nail. Also, literary treats likeInA Glass Darkly (a collection of short ghost stories by Sheridan Le Fanu) will keep my red-ringed psyche up with minacious tales, after of course I finish Bram Stoker's Dracula

So, are dry months like the Summer ones really that bad (apart from the weather)? I see it as an oportunity for quality gaming time and a relief of the waiting list of games I want to play. Create your own little cubicle, plug yourself to life support and play until your skin becomes morgue-worthy.

Demo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Demo

Study time is clawing at my freetime like an avid vampire, and no matter how much my 360 stuffs garlic up its arse, I will have to submit to the last epic effort of rising my grades via two hours of a trial of knowledge, where my fate is decided by what my controller-morphed hands manage to impart upon a piece of paper. An exam, more or less. Probably more. The Hourglass Of Dying Spring isn't stopping.

Amid the pleasures of Hell I relish, re-arranging the vital organs of the demons that I share shuddery compassion with (Hell is such a warming little furnace) in Doom 3: Resurrection Of Evil. I'm reaching the end in Veteran, hoping the Nightmare mode is harder, but not as hard as the included Nightmare mode in Ultimate Doom. Sorry but I hate the original Ultimate Doom, specially on Nightmare, give me PS1 Doom anyday (or Japanese Saturn Doom), the soundtrack in that version is so much more compeling and eerily beautiful.
I'm drifting away from the point however, Doom 3 ROE  will be the last game I play fully until after the exams. After that I will get on with Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (an antidote to the agonizing heat of Summer) and I'm planning on getting Fable for Xbox, REmake or RE Zero and Street Fighter 4 (I really hope the latter isn't as frustrating as Super Turbo). I may import Contra 4 too.

Those games plus some others for DS and Gamecube will easily fill up my time throughout the Summer. No longer do I have to go to the beach and lie belly down, watching the mermaids (or perhaps hidden succubuses), like a nail. Also, literary treats likeInA Glass Darkly (a collection of short ghost stories by Sheridan Le Fanu) will keep my red-ringed psyche up with minacious tales, after of course I finish Bram Stoker's Dracula

So, are dry months like the Summer ones really that bad (apart from the weather)? I see it as an oportunity for quality gaming time and a relief of the waiting list of games I want to play. Create your own little cubicle, plug yourself to life support and play until your skin becomes morgue-worthy.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Not really.  THere's always something to play.  I'm personally playing Devil May Cry 4 right now and loving it.
That being said, it's not like there's really a summer drought  this year.  PLenty of games coming out during the summer.  I'd say we just got out of the drought if anything.

Demo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Demo

Really? Summer always struck me as an empty time for game releases, with September kicking in with news and releases. I need to take a look at the release dates for the games I want to play.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Demo said:
Really? Summer always struck me as an empty time for game releases, with September kicking in with news and releases. ... [more]
They usually are, but this summer's different.  Counting here until the end of summer (because i count summer starting as when school let's out personally)
- Red Faction
- Prototype
- Infamous
- Bionic Commando
- Battlefield 1943 (XBLA/PSN remake)
- FNR4
- Ghostbusters
- Terminator: Salvation
- Overlord II
- Blazblue

- And again, people too often forget about their backcatalog.   My next two games are probably going to be Prince of Persia and Mirror's Edge.
Demo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Demo

Nothing I want to play fortunately. Still, it's a packed Summer right there.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By natetodamax
@SmugDarkLoser: Sadly, only Battlefield 1943 appeals to me
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

For me, there's about 5 games I want from there.  0 I'm willing to pay $60 for though.  Don't have a huge need to play those over $20 gaems like POP when those seem like they'd go down in price quickly.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By fugie7

yeah summer for me always a empty on games releases...but seeing that theirs games coming out next month it seems like it going to be good summer year.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By mordukai

Not for me. The summer gaming dry let me check out games I missed on or going back to old games to complete Achievements/Trophies. 

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Red Faction, Battlefield, and Prototype are all on my wish list.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Feanor

No the dry months are not bad at all.  You just need one or two games with a good solid multiplayer.  Past two summers I've had TF2 and COD4 to keep me busy.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pause422
SmugDarkLoser said:
Not really.  THere's always something to play.  I'm personally playing Devil May Cry 4 right now and loving it.That being ... [more]
Go play DMC3 then you won't nearly be loving 4 as much, and if you did, I'm very surprised. Anyway, I don't know what dry months are at all right now...the huge TF2 update just came out so I've been playing that like crazy, then inFamous on the side right now, and RF Guerilla and Prototype are right around the corner. At the moment I feel like its more so there's too many things coming up to play and its not dry at all.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Jayge_
SmugDarkLoser said:
Demo said: Really? Summer always struck me as an empty time for game releases, with September kicking in with news ... [more]
That's a list that doesn't count awesome portable title scoming out either. This summer is breaking banks.
gormers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By gormers

I dont really see the problem with some months with less major releases, as theres always something great to play.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I think maybe there needs to be more slow gaming months. I'm still trying to play catch up.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By mordecaix7

I love the dry months since it gives me time for my back catalog.  There's a lot of stuff I wanna get which I'll still pry not get around to playing much of.  I've been completing games at a much steadier pace, but now that I've rediscovered my PS2, it's easy to walk away with 4 games for 25 bucks in a store, all of which take at least 20 - 40 hours to play a piece.

Dark Cloud 2 is my current fascination. :)

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Babble

This isn't going to be that bad of a Summer from the looks of it. Red Faction and the new Battlefield will get me through it fine.