• 68 results
#1 Posted by mosespippy (4112 posts) -

So right now I am playing Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 (the 2002 NFS game). I've played through and unlocked everything in it maybe 4 or 5 times in my life. It's not the NFS game I want to be playing though. I'd rather be playing NFS High Stakes (the 1999 NFS game) but the first thing my mac does when I put it in is spit out the disc. I could spend a couple hours trying to figure out how to get a 14 year old PC game to work on a seven year old laptop or I could put a disc in my PS2 and play right away, so Hot Pursuit 2 wins. I have played through High Stakes 8 or 9 times over the years and it is one of my three favourite games of all time. Basically, I return to old NFS games all the time; probably about once every eight or nine months.

Grand Theft Auto is the other stand by for me. I've 100% completed all of them multiple times since they went 3D. I've done it so many times for Vice City that I did it from memory earlier this year with the HUD and minimap turned off. I even return to GTA2 about once a year. I don't know what it is about these franchises but I could take any of their old games and play them today and have a blast, no matter how many times I've played it in the past. Are there any franchises like this for you?

#2 Posted by believer258 (11785 posts) -

Metroid; more specifically, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid Zero Mission. Also, Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back and 3: Warped.

Those games are the ones that I never, ever tire of and I've been playing all of them for a very long time. More recently, though, the Halo games, the Doom games, and the latter Elder Scrolls games are also ones that I never seem to tire of; however, I have yet to see if the test of time will hold those up as much as the Metroid and Crash games.

#3 Posted by Rebel_Scum (682 posts) -

Twisted Metal 2

#4 Posted by Gantrathor (205 posts) -

I play all of the Elder Scrolls games frequently. Mostly Morrowind, though. I still play Splinter Cell 1 and 2 a lot. Also, I usually play through Fable 1 at least once a year. And, seeing as how I've finished it 3 times already, I assume that I'll be returning to Dishonored frequently in the future.

#5 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Halo

#6 Posted by ki11tank (682 posts) -

not really, i think about going back to certain games way more than i actually do.

#7 Posted by Rafaelfc (1328 posts) -

Doom and Resident Evil.

I always go back to play the old games and enjoy the hell out of them

#8 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1225 posts) -

The Westwood era Command & Conquers.

#9 Posted by yoshisaur (2701 posts) -

Honestly? No.

#10 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Never

#11 Posted by FilipHolm (667 posts) -

Actually, not really. The only franchises I've played multiple times are Metal Gear Solid, Prince of Persia, Grand Theft auto and Half-Life. And only like 2 times.

#12 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid. I usually play through then all once every year or year and a half. Loved the MGS games.

#13 Posted by TheKramer89 (423 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

I'd rather be playing NFS High Stakes (the 1999 NFS game)

Fuckin' A man. One of my favorite games of my childhood. Glad to see somebody else appreciates it.

#14 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (433 posts) -

FIFA. Always fifa

#15 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Gears and Halo.

#16 Posted by RVonE (4623 posts) -

Hmmm, this generation I went back to the first and second Mass Effect a lot; and also the first Dragon Age. But franchises across multiple generations? Not really. I do think about past favorites a lot, though.

#17 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Silent Hill.

I don't give a fuck.

#18 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1240 posts) -

Halo and Cod occasionally but I actually go back to Guitar Hero a lot.

#19 Posted by Tomzombie (396 posts) -

Age of Empires 3

#20 Posted by That1BlackGuy (217 posts) -
  • Phantasy Star Online (I tried to stop but it ain't happening)
  • Capcom vs SNK 2 (Not a franchise per se but it's my favorite fighting game)
  • Syphon Filter (I love this series so fucking much; SFII still holds up as my all time favorite TPS)
  • Saga (Mainly the Frontier games)
  • ATV: Offroad Fury (Oh how the mighty have fallen; thank goodness the old ones are so great)
#21 Posted by Aronleon (754 posts) -

Most Castlevania and Zelda games, hell every October I have a tradition to play if I can all the Castlevania games before the month ends.

#22 Posted by pyromagnestir (4291 posts) -

Zelda. Always Zelda. And recently Fire Emblem.

#23 Posted by j0lter (226 posts) -

I always love to play a good game of Hitman, no matter which one.

#24 Posted by MisterSamMan (364 posts) -

Sonic Adventure 2 and the first Roller Coaster Tycoon.

#25 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

Metal Gear

Tetris

Mega Man

Resident Evil (4 specifically)

#26 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Deus Ex.

Still not getting the love that focuses on that games (somewhat primitive) stealth aspects compared to the story and way the world-building interacted with gameplay.

#27 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

I frequently return to TES and Fallout.

#28 Posted by me3639 (1753 posts) -

Company of Heroes. Only game that moves from every PC i rebuild.

#29 Posted by Coafi (1483 posts) -

Silent Hill. My mind and my heart are tied to that series, not only do I play them every once and awhile, I listen to the soundtracks almost monthly.

#30 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11618 posts) -

Heroes of Might and Magic is a series that I can go back to at any time and always have an enjoyable experience. Currently, I've decided that Heroes IV is pretty great, despite not always executing on its ideas very well and despite having some of the worst art-design from a game of that era. Some other franchises I can do that with are Might and Magic (the RPG series that Heroes is derived from), Fire Emblem and Resident Evil, oddly enough.

#31 Posted by aznjon12 (188 posts) -

Blazblue essentially robbed my money with re-releases of the same game and DLC but I still love that crazy little series and all their continuum shifts.

#32 Posted by NapTimeSleeper (330 posts) -

God of War is kind-of my go to franchise. I would also say Final Fight as well.

#33 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

At some point every year I go back and play Fallout 3 and A Link to the Past.

#34 Posted by mosespippy (4112 posts) -

@TheKramer89 said:

@mosespippy said:

Fuckin' A man. One of my favorite games of my childhood. Glad to see somebody else appreciates it.

Maybe you can clear something up for me then. I played the demo for months and then borrowed a copy of the game from a friend. I seem to remember being able to do races with 16 players and an option in the display settings called "Distractions" which when set to high would add extra fireworks, hot air balloons, air plains, etc. Years later I got my own copy from the NFS Collection and it only did 8 vehicle races and there was no distractions setting. Did I imagine these features or what? It's possible some options just don't show up if you don't have the right hardware. Or maybe the version from NFS Collection is gimped or maybe these features were only in the demo. It's always puzzled me.

@Rafaelfc: I played Resident Evil for the first time last January and I absolutely loved it. I didn't even get half way through RE2 before I was bored though. I kind of want to play RE 1 again though. I think it could be one of those games that I return to but my PS+ ran out so I can't right now.

#35 Posted by peritus (993 posts) -
#36 Posted by ShockD (2401 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto.

#37 Posted by Ezakael (931 posts) -

Gothic (1 and 2 specifically), I go back to Dragon Age Origins every once in a while, Gears of War, TES,

#38 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

Final Fantasy, definitely. Mario in a sense, as well. I won't hesitate to buy the latest Mario game if I perceive it to be a major entry in the series. I guess I could say the same of most of the major franchises. Castlevania also deserves mentioning, though this only goes for the 2D games. I have yet to play a 3D Castlevania game.

#39 Posted by AlexW00d (6235 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

Metal Gear Solid. I usually play through then all once every year or year and a half. Loved the MGS games.

Pretty much

#40 Edited by CooVee (146 posts) -

You wouldn't think they would be very re-playable but I feel I could play all the Ace Attorney games once a year. 

#41 Posted by MentalDisruption (1622 posts) -

Not just franchises, but also specific games. Chrono Trigger, Golden Sun series, Pokemon Red or Gold, Final Fantasy IX + X, Mass Effect series, LoZ Majora's Mask or Wind Waker, whatever is the most recent Civilization game, Baldur's Gate series, Dark Souls, Persona 4, Borderlands, Neverwinter Nights, and probably some more that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

I like going back to old games. Gives me a good nostalgic feeling for some of them. Plus, it's cheaper and way more enjoyable than buying a new game.

#42 Posted by TheKramer89 (423 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

@TheKramer89 said:

@mosespippy said:

Maybe you can clear something up for me then. I played the demo for months and then borrowed a copy of the game from a friend. I seem to remember being able to do races with 16 players and an option in the display settings called "Distractions" which when set to high would add extra fireworks, hot air balloons, air plains, etc. Years later I got my own copy from the NFS Collection and it only did 8 vehicle races and there was no distractions setting. Did I imagine these features or what? It's possible some options just don't show up if you don't have the right hardware. Or maybe the version from NFS Collection is gimped or maybe these features were only in the demo. It's always puzzled me.

I definitely remember the fireworks and hot air balloons, but i don't remember that being a setting (maybe a cheat code?), and I don't remember there being 16 player races. That's seems a little ambitious for a game so old, but I could be wrong on both accounts.

#43 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

Fallout :]

#44 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

Gears for the multiplayer.

#45 Edited by Jeust (10548 posts) -
  • Force Unleashed
  • Alan Wake
  • Fable
  • Uncharted
  • inFamous
  • Prototype
  • Final Fantasy
  • Parasite Eve
  • Dead Space
  • Deadlight
  • Resident Evil
  • Catherine
#46 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

I get bored of most games pretty quickly, so this doesn't really happen. Every time I try to beat a game I've already beaten, I get like halfway through then get bored and wanna play something new.

Although a franchise I keep returning to, in the sense that I keep leaving it, is Pokemon. I haven't beaten a Pokemon game since Ruby/Sapphire, but I kept buying them, beating like half the game then giving up. I just bought Black 2, and this time I'm gonna actually try and finish it. I really think that formula needs a mixup. I'm fine with the gameplay, but do I really need to get 8 badges, beat a villainous team, and beat the Pokemon league AGAIN? I've never seen a game series stick so aggressively to the same story beats, over and over.

Even if it were to just focus on one of those things and make it really fleshed out and awesome (like a Pokemon game where you just hunt down terrorists, or one where you are singularly focused on conquering the various Pokemon leagues), that would make a world of difference for me.

#47 Posted by csl316 (8414 posts) -
@believer258

Metroid; more specifically, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid Zero Mission. Also, Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back and 3: Warped.

Those games are the ones that I never, ever tire of and I've been playing all of them for a very long time. More recently, though, the Halo games, the Doom games, and the latter Elder Scrolls games are also ones that I never seem to tire of; however, I have yet to see if the test of time will hold those up as much as the Metroid and Crash games.

I was ready to post almost all the same games (minus Elder Scrolls). Some of my fondest memories in those.
#48 Posted by Tobli (149 posts) -

The only thing i can think of is playing mount & blade on and off since the pre-release purchase days.

#49 Posted by JoeyRavn (4964 posts) -

I've been always playing or replaying a (main) Pokémon game since 1998. Does that count?

Also, Tetris.

#50 Posted by punkxblaze (2971 posts) -

Games I can go back to, I could list quite a few. Franchises, however? Whole series? I can name a few.

• Doom
  • Sonic The Hedgehog (I just don't play anything from 2002-2008)
  • The Elder Scrolls
  • The Prince of Persia Sand of Time trilogy.

Maybe there are some others, but those are the big ones, series-wise.