Are there any game genres that you simply don't like?

• 170 results
SleepyDoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By SleepyDoughnut

This should have been a poll. Adventure games for me

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By haggis

Fighting games, driving games, sports games--generally I won't even bother with these. Aside from maybe one or two examples, JRPGs are a no-go for me as well. I will occasionally dip into RTS games, but also tend to keep away from them--too stressful. I've never played an MMO for very long (I played EVE for a month or two before giving up), and so I don't generally play them either. I'm mostly about RPGs, third-person shooters, and occasionally FPSs.

DatCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By DatCrab

JRPGs (With some exceptions).

Avatar image for deactivated-60e5a8081075a
deactivated-60e5a8081075a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its probably easier if I note down the genres I *do* like these days, lol

Platforming

Survival Horror

Arcade Racers

(The occasional) FPS

Aterons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Aterons

Point and click, puzzle games and most non-mp shooters ( but than again, that might be because most of the ones i know are very bad ).

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Loafsmooch

Pretty much just sports.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Corvak

MOBAs, Dating Sims,some sports.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Lysergica33

I tend to take the attitude that in any genre there'll be at least one game that is good enough for me to enjoy it, so I try not to write off any genre wholesale but in practice I generally don't really enjoy sports games, racing games or RTS.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By freakin9

Stealth games. Oddly enough the stealth games that try to appeal to action gamers I probably hate the most, since anything special about the game I won't even touch.

Stink_Meaner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Stink_Meaner

It use to be adventure games. Then I played The Walking dead. Now I cry in my cereal every morning because I have one less thing to hate.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#111  Edited By Undeadpool

@jkuc316: Yes, but my sense for direction has always been crap, in addition to my memory. It's why I have trouble with competitive FPSes, I can't remember the maps.

Also: there's only room in my life/mind for one fighting game (SSFIV), any time I try to seriously get into a different one, the barrier to proficiency is too high.

Wrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Wrect

Turn based strategy

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#113  Edited By Slaker117

I like the idea of strategy games, both real time and turn based, but I avoid playing them because I end up obsessing over finding ideal tactics to the point where I'm just doing a bunch of math instead of playing the game.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Ducksworth

I've been really trying to get into fighting games but I just can't seem to do it which is a shame because I can definitely see how rewarding it can be once you become deeply engrossed with it. First I bought Marvel Vs Capcom 3 which was alright but while I was doing the training/challenge mode I reached a point where it felt like I physically could not pull off the inputs it wanted me to. On top of that I had a horrible time trying to consider the strengths and weaknesses of each character to build a team. Currently I just pick characters that look cool and button mash my way through the single player until die. I have a PS+ account and with Super Street Fighter IV arcade edition so I thought maybe I should give that a shot. There was no issue on which character I should pick but I still have the problem where the challenge mode will present me with an input that seems impossible to pull off.

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By BoatDrinks

Point and click and puzzle games. Anytime I find puzzles in games I'm disappointed, I can't imagine playing an entire game of just that

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#116  Edited By Oldirtybearon

MOBAs and realism-based racing games like Gran Turismo or Forza.

Both of those genres can die in a horrible fire.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Canteu

Sports.

Simulators.

Horror.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By izzygraze

Jrpg generally. I like persona though.

Racing games. I hate racing games other than cart racers. I tried Gran turismo after it got 5/5 and hated it. Never looked back.

Sports. I have legs. I can kick my own soccer ball thank you.

RTS games. I'm just not good at them. I'd put turn based in there as well but I'd consider playing turn based. I've tried to play Civ many times and I enjoy those up to a point.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#119  Edited By musclerider

Indie games.

Edit: I'm surprised to see how many people dislike fighting games because they are absolutely one of my favourite genres (even though I'm middling at best).

: The trial modes in Capcom fighting games are pretty ridiculous at times. Most of the trials require you to pull off flashy combos that are hard to pull off and sometimes downright impossible to apply to any real match. They in no way further your understanding of the underlying systems and that is probably the greatest failure that can be attributed to these games. I've sunk around 400-500 hours into the different iterations of SF4 and there are still trials where I just look at them and say "NOOOOOOOOPE." So my advice to you or anyone who has even a passing interest in fighting games is to: 1. Pick a dude 2. Learn 2-3 simple 3-4 hit combos (For example with Cody cr.lp , cr.lp , cr.lk, Criminal Upper) 3. Learn your character's anti-air move 4. Block a lot and look for openings to do your simple combos.

In SF4 especially you can play pretty well without ever having to learn big combos and it is a great introduction to the genre.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#120  Edited By TheHT

Uhhh, generally sports games. Although, I do enjoy tennis games, and the occasional hockey or basketball game. So I guess I do like sports games.

Whaddaya know.

Burrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Burrich

Quite a few of the big genres actually.

I really don't like FPS. At least the mainstream ones like COD. I liked Borderlands and kind of liked Half-Life but that's about it.

JRPGs. I sort of like them, I usually get really interested in one before getting it but then never really get into them. I usually give up after 10 hours or so. Never got past the first disc in FF7 but got to the temple and that's the furthest I've gotten in any JRPG. I feel like I should like them based on my other interests but they can just never hold my attention... Hmmm... just realised that isn't quite true... I got very close to the end of the Lord of the Rings turn-based RPG... that probably doesn't count though.

Don't like MMOs at all. I SHOULD like CRPGs again based on my interests but they never grab me for very long. Perhaps because they're so detailed and you have to become totally absorbed in them. Oblivion is really the only game that has ever done that for me.

Don't like side-scrolling or twin-stick shooters. They may hold my interest for a short while but rarely for long.

Don't like RTS much. Played most of Battle for Middle Earth but that's it.

Don't like simulation racers (arcade all the way). Also find point and click adventures boring.

So the genres I like are WRPGs, Platformers, Action/Adventure, Arcade Racers, Puzzles and Fighters sometimes,

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By spyder335

sports and racing

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By John1912

Not much into sports games, though a boxing game is fun from time to time. Dont think ive played a simulator game that Ive ever like. IE a flight sim type of game.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#124  Edited By MEATBALL

MMOs, even ones that do things that are kind of cool I ultimately come away thinking I'd rather just be playing a single player RPG or action game, none of the elements that make an MMO special appeal to me at all. I've never been one for RTS, I blame my filthy console gaming heritage for that.

Bismarck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#125  Edited By Bismarck

JRPGs and Sports games

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#126  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Sports and JRPG

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#127  Edited By VanderSEXXX

@JoeyRavn said:

Sports games.

This and games like GTA & Saint's Row.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#128  Edited By L44

As I scanned through this I was suprised I didn't see Dancing games.

2 reasons, I don't like being forced to dance and calling what I do dancing is like saying poo is chocolate.

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#129  Edited By mcmax3000

Fighting games, and RPGs. I like some RPGs that are a lot lighter on the RPG elements (the Mass Effect games, Fable II), but in general, they're just not my thing at all, no matter how hard I try.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Codeacious

I can't get into RTSes for some reason. I don't actively dislike them, but I always invariably get bored quickly whenever I play one.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#131  Edited By Ravenlight
Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Tuggah

Action RPGs like Fable, Skyrim, and Reckoning.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Hunter5024

I love Dragon Age: Origins, but I haven't been able to find any standard Western RPG's other than that that I've enjoyed. Lots of the old classics I'm directed to don't hold up, can't stand the Bethesda games, and it seems like everyone else is moving away from the genre. I would love for someone to recommend a game that changes my mind though.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#134  Edited By Vinny_Says

@Hunter5024 said:

I love Dragon Age: Origins, but I haven't been able to find any standard Western RPG's other than that that I've enjoyed. Lots of the old classics I'm directed to don't hold up, can't stand the Bethesda games, and it seems like everyone else is moving away from the genre. I would love for someone to recommend a game that changes my mind though.

Who's moving away from what genre? Bethesda RPG's? uhhh there's like 25 million people who bought the last 3 fallout and TES games. You'll see more of that. Maybe you just don't like fantasy games?

As for the topic, I don't like RTS games and haven't really enjoyed a "realistic sports" game since NHL 2002. I do like EA's Skate and SSX and those are sports however....kinda.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Hunter5024

@Vinny_Says said:

@Hunter5024 said:

Who's moving away from what genre? Bethesda RPG's? uhhh there's like 25 million people who bought the last 3 fallout and TES games. You'll see more of that. Maybe you just don't like fantasy games?

As for the topic, I don't like RTS games and haven't really enjoyed a "realistic sports" game since NHL 2002. I do like EA's Skate and SSX and those are sports however....kinda.

I meant developers were moving away from the genre not players. You see fewer and fewer standard RPG's and see them replaced by weird RPG hybrids. And actually I love fantasy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

MMO's, MOBA's, and most point-and-click adventure games.

arch4non

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By arch4non

MOBA's, I absolutely hate everything about them. Using RTS controls on a single unit is lunacy, click-to-move control schemes are the worst.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By warxsnake

Anything Japanese, sports and fighting games. 

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Mighty

JRPG's. I don't really get into the whole big-breasted craziness of Japanese culture.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#140  Edited By Red

Sports, MOBAs and simulation games, although I've never really played the former. I also honestly dislike most games that are purely competitive. The only multiplayer I really have fun with is when it's just me and close friends messing around.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#141  Edited By jkuc316

@Undeadpool: I know how you feel, because I feel the same way in Fighting Games. I've dabbled in Marvel, KOF, Tekken, etc... and I cannot play those games as great as I play SFIV.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#142  Edited By Sackmanjones

Mmo. Moba. 90% of racing games

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By dr_mantas

MMOs, Sports games, fighting games

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#144  Edited By Undeadpool

@jkuc316 said:

@Undeadpool: I know how you feel, because I feel the same way in Fighting Games. I've dabbled in Marvel, KOF, Tekken, etc... and I cannot play those games as great as I play SFIV.

For me it was a real lightning-in-a-bottle situation: I was unemployed and lived with FIVE other dudes who all loooove videogames. SFIV and SSIV from sunup to sundown some days. I just don't think I'll EVER be able to dedicate myself to a fighting game like that again JUST in terms of time sink.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#145  Edited By Miketakon

MMO's

JRPG's

MOBA's

Racing

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By iam3green

i don't like RTS games all that much. i just feel they're boring to play. i tried playing them before, i can't get into them.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#147  Edited By MikeJFlick

browser based p2w games.

SynergisticSyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By SynergisticSyn

There are many genres that I can say that I'm not a fan of, but if I had to pick one it'd be bullet-hell shooters. Even the ones with an obvious quality can't hold me for more than a few deaths. I just don't have the patience for the bullshit that essentially defines the genre.

I'm not fond of shooters, I dig on Halo and of course played and enjoyed most of the definitive games throughout the nineties, but the modern military style shooter doesn't do much for me and Gears of War never grabbed me. I guess the actual gameplay of Mass Effect 2 & 3 falls under this category, and its more than adequate, but not really the reason I play the game.

Sports, racing and fighting I feel generally ambivalent to, they're fun if that's what everyone else is doing, but just wouldn't be my first choice by far.

I've yet to play a MOBA, just seems a bit daunting at this point.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#149  Edited By grilledcheez

JRPGs and most RTS games now

tweetspot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers