• 69 results
#1 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

You know, those ones you were excited for and decided not to get it at the last second because of a completely right on bad feeling?

I have had some of those feelings... for one game I was very tempted on pre-ordering one day after seeing an add from a Game Informer article... tempted. But I completely forgot about the game and it drifted away to obscurity.

This game is the abomanation only known as...

CHAOS WARS

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!!

Yes... THAT Chaos Wars game...

This one...

Thank all good things I was not only broke that month but also completely forgetting that add! I mean... My goodness... I... Can't believe there is voice acting as bad as this out there... I had a bad feeling after hearing nothing about it once it came out! I knew it! I was sadly right...

Yes people... that video is completely real, sadly.

What games are you glad that you decided not to buy?

#2 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

To be fair the script they are working with is awful. Even excellent actors would have trouble trying to sell that dialog.

#3 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

To be fair the script they are working with is awful. Even excellent actors would have trouble trying to sell that dialog.

Yet... they got family members of the publisher to do it anyway... No... I am sadly not joking, who you are hearing in this video is the damn family of the publisher!

#4 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Diablo III.

#5 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Yet... they got family members of the publisher to do it anyway... No... I am sadly not joking, who you are hearing in this video is the damn family of the publisher!

I'm not surprised. You can tell those people are not actors. The reasons I can think of are a very low budget or general apathy towards the game.

#6 Posted by DystopiaX (5338 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Diablo III.

Exact opposite for me. I wasn't hyped at all and then the 2nd day after the game came out I decided to get it without looking at reviews or anything and am still enjoying it.

#7 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@DystopiaX said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Diablo III.

Exact opposite for me. I wasn't hyped at all and then the 2nd day after the game came out I decided to get it without looking at reviews or anything and am still enjoying it.

Well, I'm glad you're enjoying it dude.

#8 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

I wasn't expecting too much of Duke Nukem Forever but seeing it being developed for so many years I kinda told myself me I would have to get this game.

Good thing I didn't.

#9 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

Recently, Diablo 3. I'm glad I didn't get swept into that whole affair, especially with Torchlight 2 so close by, that will be my fill of that style of game I think.

When I was a kid there was loads of games I wanted because they looked so cool but when I eventually played them later on in life I realised they were junk. I think Ehrgeiz is a good example of a game that I wanted because it looked so awesome but if I wasted my money on it I would have been very upset indeed.

#10 Posted by Diakiha (17 posts) -

I am ajust to play the game of diablo

#11 Edited by Hizang (8532 posts) -

None recently, I tend to know what a game is like before I buy it.

#12 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Rage

#13 Posted by Svenzon (722 posts) -

World of Warcraft. I played the friend trial when it came out and thought about buying it. Fortunately the store was sold out when I got there and I bought Vampire instead. The shortage continued for several weeks and as time passed I realised the game was a repetitive time- and moneysink.

#14 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -

Neverdead. I love DMC style games which is how they were marketing that one, and it turned out pretty bad.

#15 Posted by probablytuna (3746 posts) -

Only Resistance comes to mind. I'm glad I borrowed my friend's copy of Resistance 1 and 2 instead of buying them.

#16 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

F.E.A.R 3. I want Monolith to make more F.E.A.R games. : (

#17 Edited by aquamarin (555 posts) -

Diablo III, I'd be addicted to it, especially now with the real money auction house. I would keep telling myself I'm gonna hit the jackpot on some item and have self worth issues if my character wasn't advanced enough.

#18 Posted by Chontamenti (153 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever

Prototype 2

Need For Speed Shift 2

Fable 3

oh and thank god, that i didn't buy L4D2!!

#19 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

yup, diablo 3.

its basically a paper thin game mechanic with just loot drops making people keep playing, if loot wasn't a major part of the game everyone would think the game was trash. i wont be suckered into playing another diablo game for the search for the most epic hat ever. there needs to be more to a game than loot. i almost bought the game, ALMOST. glad i didnt cus i'd probably be hooked on it like everyone else

#20 Posted by Atlas (2454 posts) -

There are certain contented and comfortable feelings that occurs whenever I choose to pass on a major game release - a list that includes most shooter games, most MP focused games, the antagonistic Dark Souls, the controversial Mass Effect 3, and the totally stagnant Madden series (despite my deep love of NFL football). But actual pleasure at choosing not to buy a game? Actual feelings approximated to greater satisfaction, vindication, or even pride?

OK, my only example isn't limited to a single game. I'm really glad my Nintendo nostalgia didn't blind me into purchasing a Wii. I have been tempted to buy one at several points, but on every occasion made different decisions, and I think I made the right choice. There just aren't enough games on the Wii that appeal to me, especially considering that I never actually played/beat the flagship Nintendo games for GameCube - Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Paper Mario, all unplayed or unfinished. Motion controls never appealed to me, and the notion that it is somehow more involved and engrossing than a controller is completely lost on me - maybe because I had a Genesis controller in my hand when I was three years old. The Wii's downward spiral is well documented at this point, and while the rival platforms are by no means perfect, my 360 has given me countless hours of gaming pleasure, and while the PS3 cannot compete with 360 on hours spent playing games, it has been a fantastic media device, and is used by all members of the house not just for Blu-Rays but for DVDs too.

#21 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Honestly, I'm glad I don't buy most games I choose to pass by these days. I usually find myself thinking "Oh man that game looks awesome, I should totally get that" when it's released but choose to wait a week or two and by the time that has passed, I kind of lost any interest in that game. That's not to say I am happy I didn't buy them, because most of those games I have that reaction to turn out to be spectacular (like Diablo 3 for instance). Rather, I'd say that I feel I made a good choice in waiting to buy it because in the end, I didn't actually need it.

#22 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

Wow, lots of diablo 3 in here. You know that game isn't just about loot. In the higher difficulties your character build is probably more important than what your swinging around. The classes have very distinctive feels to them and multiplayer is great. Anyway, I came so close to buying kingdoms of amalur but skyrim fatigue talked me out of it. Now that it's come and gone i feel like i made the right choice.

#23 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (536 posts) -

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Fable 3 (although you could say I did eventually buy it since my girlfriend bought me a new Xbox, Fable 3 came with it along with Halo: Reach), L.A. Noire, Splinter Cell HD Collection, Silent Hill HD Collection

#24 Posted by Cathryn (549 posts) -

Can't think of any recent examples in games, but right now, the PS Vita.

I'm currently looking for jobs all over the place, so I've been looking at my stuff and really thinking about what I'd take with me if I had to move across the country. I had some games I didn't want to keep and some old hardware and controllers I wouldn't want to pack either, so I traded them all in. The value of the trade-ins was very close to a the 3DS, but I could have stretched and bought a Vita. I decided to be better on my wallet for the month and picked up a 3DS.

After E3, I am very, very happy that I picked up the 3DS and avoided a Vita. Not that interested in the new games or many of the ports (at least not enough to buy a system to play the ports) for Vita, and at least there's Paper Mario and, eventually Shin Megami Tensei: IV to be excited for on 3DS.

#25 Posted by SmilingPig (1340 posts) -

Rage is on the top of my list. Way over hyped.

#26 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Kingdoms of Amalur because that demo destroyed all hype I had for it. Another one is Battlefield 3. I know it's awesome but I'm over the modern military FPS.

#27 Edited by believer258 (12019 posts) -

@probablytuna said:

Only Resistance comes to mind. I'm glad I borrowed my friend's copy of Resistance 1 and 2 instead of buying them.

Give the third game a try. I think the first two are somewhere between bland and total shit as well, but the third one is really, really good. It's what the first one should have been.

@Cloudenvy said:

F.E.A.R 3. I want Monolith to make more F.E.A.R games. : (

I do too, but I liked FEAR 3 in a bad horror movie sort of way. A lot of people hated it and it really isn't what I'd call a well-designed game, but I actually had a lot of fun playing it and had even more fun in co-op.

EDIT: All this time and I didn't actually respond to the OP. The most recent answer would be Kingdoms of Amalur, a game whose demo I really thought was kind of bland and boring and whose overall reception seemed to have delivered a similar response.

#28 Posted by mitsuko_souma (135 posts) -

Every EA game made in the past 5 years. They try to suck you in with fancy marketing and false advertising, but I just say to myself, "it's EA, you're guaranteed to regret buying this." and it's the right decision every time.

#29 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Chontamenti said:

What? Why? I still play that game with buddies with custom campaigns. It's awesome!

Also Dragon Age 2.

And I wish I could say the same about Mass Effect 2 :( But I guess I can put Mass Effect 3 in there too, come to think of it.

@Clonedzero said:

yup, diablo 3.

its basically a paper thin game mechanic with just loot drops making people keep playing, if loot wasn't a major part of the game everyone would think the game was trash. i wont be suckered into playing another diablo game for the search for the most epic hat ever. there needs to be more to a game than loot. i almost bought the game, ALMOST. glad i didnt cus i'd probably be hooked on it like everyone else

You act as if that's a fact. It's not. I played as the monk and half the time forgot to pay attention to my loot because it was so fuckin' satisfying. And I didn't enjoy the Demon Hunter (sad because it was the one I was really looking forward to) and no amount of cool loot could save that.

If Diablo has a paper thin gameplay formula, then any shooter coming out today has no formula at all and in fact, doesn't exist. The game is really fun, even if you don't pay attention to loot. And loot isn't a bad thing to enjoy anyway. That's like saying "I bet Mass Effect never would have taken off without a good story." It's a big part of the game and some people like that. But it's not as big of a part of the game as say, Borderlands, so I think your point is a little more taste than anything else.

Or maybe you're just stubborn and realize you'd enjoy it and some part of you thinks you're above playing games that aren't mad complex.

I don't care if you don't like it, but you shouldn't act like everyone else is wrong because it's not to your tastes. I hated Mass Effect 2, but I don't think it's a bad game or that it shouldn't be enjoyed by others.

#30 Posted by Chontamenti (153 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@Chontamenti said:

What? Why? I still play that game with buddies with custom campaigns. It's awesome!

Exactly! With buddies it's "awesome" with random "OH LOOK AT THE VIOLENCE D="-people it is ****

I played L4D1 and it was great, by the time L4D2 was out, my buddies played it for 2 or 3 weeks and moved on. So I didn't miss anything! ^^

#31 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Chontamenti said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@Chontamenti said:

Exactly! With buddies it's "awesome" with random "OH LOOK AT THE VIOLENCE D="-people it is ****

I played L4D1 and it was great, by the time L4D2 was out, my buddies played it for 2 or 3 weeks and moved on. So I didn't miss anything! ^^

Wow, bummer. LFD2 is amazing. You just need better buddies, clearly :3

#32 Posted by Aetheldod (3644 posts) -

Insert random last year FPS _____________ .... its better to rent them

#33 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

Mass Effect 3.

#34 Posted by Slurpelve (615 posts) -

@SmilingPig said:

Rage is on the top of my list. Way over hyped.

#35 Posted by TheHT (11557 posts) -

Max Payne 3 and The Old Republic. Don't like paying subscriptions for games and wasn't sure about Max Payne 3.

Now one's going free to play (to level 15, for now) and the other's apparently not great as a Max Payne game, but a good game nontheless. I'll wait for Max Payne to go on sale.

#36 Posted by SpydrMrphy (88 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

You know, those ones you were excited for and decided not to get it at the last second because of a completely right on bad feeling?

I have had some of those feelings... for one game I was very tempted on pre-ordering one day after seeing an add from a Game Informer article... tempted. But I completely forgot about the game and it drifted away to obscurity.

This game is the abomanation only known as...

CHAOS WARS

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!!

Yes... THAT Chaos Wars game...

This one...

Thank all good things I was not only broke that month but also completely forgetting that add! I mean... My goodness... I... Can't believe there is voice acting as bad as this out there... I had a bad feeling after hearing nothing about it once it came out! I knew it! I was sadly right...

Yes people... that video is completely real, sadly.

What games are you glad that you decided not to buy?

Would have been better if they were all voiced by Elcors.

Dark Sector is probably the only game I really regretted purchasing. DNF was just disappointing, but I'm glad I own it for the historical/personal value.

#37 Posted by advocatefish (360 posts) -

Ninja Gaiden 3. I would be heartbroken if played it.

#38 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -

Street Fighter X Tekken is the recent one I can recall. I was thinking about buying it but then the craziness with the online play, bad gem UI, and DLC characters happened. It's sad because the actual fighting system actually looks fine.

#39 Posted by Draxyle (1874 posts) -

@mitsuko_souma said:

Every EA game made in the past 5 years. They try to suck you in with fancy marketing and false advertising, but I just say to myself, "it's EA, you're guaranteed to regret buying this." and it's the right decision every time.

You couldn't have said it better. Every EA game I've bought has made me hate buying it; it's absolutely crazy that they manage to do that and still stay in business.

I'm extremely glad I passed on Dragon Age II and ME3 at least. Those both had so many red flags over them that even my great love for Bioware couldn't override the feeling that they would become awful.

I almost got caught in the Battlefield 3 hype as well but it eventually passed. And as good as Sim City is looking, I already know I'm going to pass on it and be glad I did.

#40 Posted by gamefreak9 (2372 posts) -

@advocatefish said:

Ninja Gaiden 3. I would be heartbroken if played it.

most unbiased thing in here... I'm a big fan! But as I felt it... nothing about hype, there wasn't any, nothing about the announced changes, they sounded okay. But just something... I had a premonition... and I played it a week ago... I am not happy!

Also D3 is pretty great... people who are glad they didn't buy it are people who were biased against it before the release... grow up!

#41 Posted by CJduke (795 posts) -

Almost just bought Krater from watching the quick look and seeing it for only $15 on steam, but I decided against it after doing further research and watching gameplay videos. Glad I didn't just immediately buy it doesn't sound like I would like it.

#42 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Two worlds. I think I dodged a bullet more than most of you

#43 Posted by RedHatDrew (335 posts) -
#44 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

Pretty much every video game I bought 2 years later and paid only 5 dollars for on STEAM. I'm always glad I waited to buy it or didn't buy it when it came out because I saved myself 55 dollars.

#45 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

how you people can have such strong opinions on games you have not played is amazing. its a very special skill

#46 Posted by Sackmanjones (4752 posts) -

Resident Evil Raccoon City... Wait I did by that

Fuck

#47 Edited by gamefreak9 (2372 posts) -

@doobie said:

how you people can have such strong opinions on games you have not played is amazing. its a very special skill

this... I thought the implication(what the thread title implied) of the thread was having played games which you considered buying and didn't like them. But its just blind hating and self fulfilling prophecies.

#48 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1254 posts) -

Most recently F.E.A.R. 3 and Duke Nukem Forever. Seeing them turn into shit games made me glad I saved $120 from being wasted.

#49 Posted by T_Diamond (20 posts) -

So this is why JRPGs never have voices. Man that is horrible voice acting.

#50 Posted by T_Diamond (20 posts) -

@TheHumanDove: If you know what you like and don't like, you can pretty much tell what looks good for your taste. For instance, my friend hates third person shooters and shooters when you're not fighting enemies with guns (no I don't know why he hates these). With that in mind, I can probably say he would not like Dead Space.

It's one thing to blindly just hate things without any real evidence. It's another to know your likes and dislikes in games and be able to pick out your favorites based on what is known about the game, and possibly seeing gameplay or even playing a demo of game and determining it's not right for you .