Are these next-gen delays worrying you?

• 74 results
AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Both DriveClub and Watch Dogs have been delayed till next year. I was wondering if this at all worries you guys. I know most launch games come in really hot, but are you guys worried that some of these launch games might not technically be up to snuff? I'm worried, but the only game I'm getting for my PS4 is Battlefield 4. The reason I'm worried is because they haven't really showed any PS4 gameplay.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Actually I'm glad stuff keeps getting delayed, because it means I won't make an impulse purchase I instantly regret until much later haha

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really. Better delayed than rushed out to be honest. Launch game are often very unfinished and If they delay it so its polished everyone wins. CAnceling games would be worrying.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

No. It's silly to worry.

You're essentially telling me (with a delay) that you're taking the extra time to make sure the game gets the proper development time it needs.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Next Gen doesn't begin until inFAMOUS: Second Son, so... eh. Though saying that, I do think Dead Rising 3 at least is lookin' really good so far.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm probably going to cancel my Ps4 pre-order because of all the delays. It's probably for the best, when I think about it.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'll say it like this, if it was necessary to delay the game for better quality. Then by all means they made the right call. It's best not to release a game knowing when its lacking in certain areas. Especially since the game has alot of hype around it.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, not really i believe watch dogs was starting to look less impressive after GTA5 and some recent demos of it seemed worrying. Also i prefer to get a good game vs rushing a game out to meet launch and end up with a crappy or ok game. If you are on the fence about getting a system maybe its reason to wait but i'm already locked in with a ps4 and i can wait for the games. There are quite a few games i need to catch up on anyway if need be.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I think the Ubisoft one was a total no brainer from a business perspective, and the right move. Putting out two open world games like that at about the same time was a weird decision. So otherwise it's just Driveclub.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, delays usually mean "We get a bit more time to polish it up" so that's fine by me.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GiantLizardKing

I want them to take the time they need to get the most out of the boxes to make the games shiny. I'm a lot more concerned that the new consoles reportedly won't be able to effortlessly run first gen titles at 1080p 60 fps. If 4k ever becomes a thing, these boxes don't sound very future proof. I went from day 1 buyer, to wait and see when I found out about Watch Dogs.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Ubisoft mainly wanted to stay away from GTA, Saints Row, and AC, which is a smart decision. Driveclub.... who really cares? I don't think that a delay means the game will be any worse than it looked before.

34f3ecwdc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By 34f3ecwdc3

Until Watch Dogs comes, I have plenty of games to finish, although I was dying for this one.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Example1013

Launch games? Technically up to snuff? You must be new to this whole video games thing.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm not worried at all. It's a console launch, what else do you expect?

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@example1013: This isn't exactly the exotic customized hardware architectures of the past. We're dealing with standardized off the shelf components. X86 processors and off the shelf ATI cards are fairly well known quantities at this point.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@example1013: This isn't exactly the exotic customized hardware architectures of the past. We're dealing with standardized off the shelf components. X86 processors and off the shelf ATI cards are fairly well known quantities at this point.

Two words: Madden 06.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I know it's normal but it never strikes me as a good thing. Especially when I think about preorder situations. I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

Launch titles are always underwhelming and it doesn't help when there's less of them.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Nekroskop

Don't really care. No one should buy consoles at launch.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Nope. I was expecting games to get delayed. Unfortunately one of the games to be delayed was the one I would have played until inFamous: Second Son came out.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Happy that they're at least recognizing that more work needs to be done and attempting to correct any problems they see in their product. Now, you can look forward to a more polished game after a few more months of development time. Also, it makes me really glad I didn't preorder a console. As Nekroskop said above me, no one should buy consoles at launch.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamjohn said:

I'm probably going to cancel my Ps4 pre-order because of all the delays. It's probably for the best, when I think about it.

I don't really understand that logic. The PS4 will still cost $399 whether you get it at launch or sometime in 2014, so what does waiting accomplish? If you have a pre order and are going to get the system eventually either way, waiting seems kind of pointless to me. Sure, you may not get much use of it until some more games come out, but at least you'll have it when they do.

Don't really care. No one should buy consoles at launch.

Why not?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Nope, because I'm not rushing out to buy one before I know the real score.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually Nintendo launches frequently feature some of the best games to ever come out for their systems. Dreamcast had a phenomenal launch. Saturn and PS1 did alright for themselves with lots of decent arcade ports.

The whole "launch games suck" thing is a relatively recent phenomena mostly beginning with the PS2. (And I would say 360 had a pretty good launch lineup.)

micemoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By micemoney

Considering that I wasn't planning on getting a new system this year (besides a 3DS), no I'm not worried and I believe this is probably for the best. I felt Microsoft's launch lineup to be a bit more enticing even before these delays were announced. Just my personal tastes though. I was a huge Killer Instinct fan and the new one looks pretty rad.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rangers517

I've never had a problem with consoles I got at launch. Also, I feel like people are exaggerating a bit saying there's nothing to play at launch. Looking at this list http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Launch_Titles , which seems to be up to date with these delays, I counted 7 games I would play and a couple more I'd at least try. I don't have a gaming pc so those f2p games would be new to me also. I don't know, I don't really see a benefit in waiting, since I already saved the money..

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nope since i was not interested in Watch_Dogs or the crew. my personal choice the XONE, still has a nice lineup.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamjohn said:

I don't really understand that logic. The PS4 will still cost $399 whether you get it at launch or sometime in 2014, so what does waiting accomplish? If you have a pre order and are going to get the system eventually either way, waiting seems kind of pointless to me. Sure, you may not get much use of it until some more games come out, but at least you'll have it when they do.

Because I could use that $435 to buy something that I'll actually use right now instead of a system that, if the Wii U and most other systems are any indication, I'll get a bunch of use out of for the first two months and then it will just sit there unused for the next eight. Why the fuck would I want a console just to have it when I have a metric fuckton of games for the systems I already have that I've still never put in the consoles? I could just as easily pocket the money, wait to buy it until Watch Dogs and Infamous come out (i.e., the only two games I really care about) and get just as much enjoyment out of it.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I was looking forward to playing Watch Dogs on PS4, so I am a little bummed out by that one, but it's not big deal. I don't care much one way or the other for racing games, so the Driveclub delay doesn't really matter to me, especially since they added Contrast to PS+ in its place.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamjohn said:
@ll_exile_ll said:

@iamjohn said:

Because I could use that $435 to buy something that I'll actually use right now instead of a system that, if the Wii U and most other systems are any indication, I'll get a bunch of use out of for the first two months and then it will just sit there unused for the next eight. Why the fuck would I want a console just to have it when I have a metric fuckton of games for the systems I already have that I've still never put in the consoles? I could just as easily pocket the money, wait to buy it until Watch Dogs and Infamous come out (i.e., the only two games I really care about) and get just as much enjoyment out of it.

I guess that makes sense, I guess I was looking at it from my point of view where I have had $500 set aside for the PS4 for months. If I decided not to get it at launch (say, because of game delays), then that money would still just sit there until I spent it in 2014 on a PS4, achieving the same results just months later.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Brendan

I don't know if these delays, or any delays, do much for my confidence in games. People tend of think that extra time spent in development has a linear relationship with the quality of the final product but I don't see it that way. I'm not saying that Watchdogs or Driveclub didn't get sufficient development time planned at the outset but a game that is given extra time at the end doesn't make up for the lack of time for new ideas to germinate at the beginning. Delays at the end make a more polished game but we get polished rehashes every year. Again I'm not saying this applies directly to the two games in question, but to the sentiment that a game that stays longer in development longer than planned makes it better. A game with 3 years planned at the outset will probably be more innovative and exciting than a 2 year development with a 1 year delay. (Example does not imply the assumed development time of the two games mentioned, I know Watch Dogs has been around forever)

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly? No, not at all.

Delays are usually for a good reason. Sure it can be a bad sign, but usually not.

Plus this reinforces my idea of waiting till early next year in getting a PS4 rather than launch day.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamjohn said:
@ll_exile_ll said:

@iamjohn said:

I guess that makes sense, I guess I was looking at it from my point of view where I have had $500 set aside for the PS4 for months. If I decided not to get it at launch (say, because of game delays), then that money would still just sit there until I spent it in 2014 on a PS4, achieving the same results just months later.

Such is the double-edged sword of Amazon pre-ordering - not needing to have the money then means you need to make sure you have the money now!

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By Seppli

Worry why? I'd worry if games like Battlefield 4 and Assassin's Creed Black Flag get delayed for technical reasons. Why would I worry about delayed games, if they aren't out yet elsewhere?

They get delayed because they need more work, or for scheduling reasons.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36  Edited By kaos_cracker

They been saying Battlefield 4 runs pretty well on PS4, right now I'm just taking their word for it. If that game has 64 players on console I will be super happy. I'm still crazy enough to get a PS4 at launch with a few multi-gen games. I can wait on the exclusives, cuz I am also in college and got other games to finish. I'm just glad I'll be able to have a next gen system at launch. By the time I finish the games at launch, all the other games will start coming out.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

They've pretty much guaranteed that I do not care at all about getting either one of these consoles at launch.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By biospank

Not really, I am the retard that buys everything at launch now. Even the 3ds I btw have 3 of them now and ps vita which was a Japanese launch from my side, then it was the Wii U which was also a two buy streak from me.
So no, I love buying new crap, for the sake of entertainment.

KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KirillOrlov

I don't mind delays. Agreed with the post from @darji when it's cancelled then it's scary.

Am I the only one excited to mess with the ps4 interface? I get I won't be sitting on that for months during the delays but that's why I love launch day products.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Worried? No.

Annoyed because one of them happened to be delayed less than one week after changing a pre-order of a stand-alone console plus a copy of the game into an official launch bundle containing the console and that game? Yes.

If the game isn't ready, the game isn't ready. But seriously, don't let Sony announce a bundle containing it, have Amazon contact all their pre-order customers and have them change their orders to one of 6 bundles and then announce you are delaying it and not expect at least a little fall out from those that are now wondering what (if anything) they are going to receive on launch day.

They must surely have had an inkling they were in trouble to meet launch before inking the deal with Sony?

Also interesting to note that this is the 2nd time Ubi have pulled a stunt like this in this year, or have we all forgotten that Rayman was a Nintendo exclusive (and a completed game at that) that was pulled at the last minute?

Aside from the bundle problem, I am disappointed in both delays as I'd planned on having Watch Dogs, ACIV and the PS+ version of Drive Club as my launch titles with a possible full purchase of Drive Club if I enjoyed it. I'm not a big FPS fan so CoD, Killzone and Battlefield really aren't doing much for me; so I was hoping those titles would see me through to things like Witcher 3 or Dragon Age being released.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see why people who preordered would be annoyed. That's if they preordered for a specific game that is delayed.

I'm wondering if delays are because they need to improve the games or if they want the nex-gen consoles sales to build up.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

Too be honest, I wasn't planning on picking up a PS4 until next Spring most likely. It doesn't really bother me.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I'm happy that the launch window is full enough to be able to push two new IPs back from possible disaster.

Keep in mind that it's a miracle that Assassin's Creed became a franchise, because that first game was TRASH. So maybe it's a good thing to push these games back and polish it up a bit more.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JCGamer

Not really. I am getting the new consoles for that "new tech" itch and for the promise of awesome games, not a single launch game in particular.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The idea of putting Watch Dogs and AC out right on top of each other was always kinda dumb anyway. Fairly different games on the face of it, but in reality they will obviously be designed to scratch the same itch. Mostly because Ubisoft make all of their big games to the same blueprint now, ie. cover the map in an obnoxious amount of side-activity padding and encourage the player to spend 10000000000000 hours grinding it out for some bullshit pat on the head. Rinse, repeat. 5 stars.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If more than half of all launch titles get delayed, then we should worry. As it stands now, I don't really see it as a big deal.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree it's unfortunate that the games most people want to play are now out in 2014 and beyond, but I want to support the PS4 so that it gets as much development as possible as soon as possible, so buying the console at launch is my gesture of faith that they can deliver.

It's what the Wii-U lacked at launch and still lacks now.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope! Not much different than the day before the next-gens were even unveiled. I get that it can be a bummer, but I am quite sure there will be plenty to play in the months leading up to their releases, like always.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

This is kind of how it always is, though. Every year there's a dozen games that were scheduled for holiday but get pushed to Q1 or Q2. I think all three of Last of Us, BioShock Infinite and GTA5 were holiday 12 games that got pushed back during development (even if they were never announced publicly for holiday 12).

The only part that is different about it is that you were relying on these games to justify a console purchase, whereas you didn't rely on Mass Effect 2 or Dead Space 2 or Max Payne 3 or BioShock Infinite or any of these games pushed out of holiday to justify a 360 or a PS3 purchase. The feeling was "I'll have to wait for that game" whereas now it's "I'll have to wait for a good reason to buy a console".

@jimbo: Add some parkour/climbing, and either a paranoid cyberfantasy or a mystical earthly aspect and you nailed The Ubisoft Game.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By Tarsier

thats ok, just wait to buy a ps4 when there are games for it