Are they making a Mortal Kombat 9 (a proper one)?

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Rhaknar

was checking jeff's twitter, and this other twitter caught my eye:

http://twitter.com/noobde

so...is this real? Am i completely out of the loop and missed a m-rated MK9 announcement?

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Somebody will probable make it.  It's mostly a matter of who.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

Not sure wtf that twitter account is about, but has not been announced.  There's been talk of it and Boon said they were making a regular MK after this, but that was before the Midway issues.  It sounds like the MK studio was on track and wanted to be sold, and I assume that's because they are working on a new MK.

I'm hoping for that reboot that Boon and the MK team was talking about before MK vs DC was announced.  I want to see a completely different fighting system at this point.

@FiestaUnicorn said:

" Somebody will probable make it.  It's mostly a matter of who. "
I'm pretty confident whoever buys Midway will keep the MK team.  They sell units, MK is a big franchise, and there's no one better to make an MK game.

Avatar image for snoopeasystreet
snoopeasystreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By snoopeasystreet

Well the MK team at midway is most likely making a new game but with the current state that midway is in, who knows if it'll ever surface...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope so, I really didn't like MK vs DC much, even though I tried so hard.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rhaknar
@Bucketdeth said:
" I hope so, I really didn't like MK vs DC much, even though I tried so hard. "
same. No offense to any MK fan, but the gameplay in MK was never as good as the capcom or SNK fighters in my opinion, and what it had going for it for me, was the gore and fatalities. it was what made it unique. You take that out, and its not MK for me. I dont mean to come off as some sort of gore fanatic, but it reminds me of no more heroes in europe with no gore... its just not the same. Same goes for if all of a sudden Street Fighter would have tons of blood and whatnot, it would never fit
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Mortal Kombat 9 was announced a while ago, although we don't know if it's a traditional MK or a sequel to MK Vs. DC. I'd assume that with the financial difficulties of Midway, DC would be unwilling to do a deal with them currently, so the development at the moment revolves around a classic MK game. However, if the Warner bros. buy midway then the ball is in their court. If they choose to do a deal with DC for an MK Vs. DC sequel, I wouldn't imagine that the development of MK 9 is too far along to be unable to do this. MK 9 is completely up in the air at the moment with the uncertainty of Midway.
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rhaknar
@MattyFTM said:
" Mortal Kombat 9 was announced a while ago, although we don't know if it's a traditional MK or a sequel to MK Vs. DC. I'd assume that with the financial difficulties of Midway, DC would be unwilling to do a deal with them currently, so the development at the moment revolves around a classic MK game. However, if the Warner bros. buy midway then the ball is in their court. If they choose to do a deal with DC for an MK Vs. DC sequel, I wouldn't imagine that the development of MK 9 is too far along to be unable to do this. MK 9 is completely up in the air at the moment with the uncertainty of Midway. "
if you read the twitter, he says theres no superheroes
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Rhaknar said:
"@Bucketdeth said:
" I hope so, I really didn't like MK vs DC much, even though I tried so hard. "
same. No offense to any MK fan, but the gameplay in MK was never as good as the capcom or SNK fighters in my opinion, and what it had going for it for me, was the gore and fatalities. it was what made it unique. You take that out, and its not MK for me. I dont mean to come off as some sort of gore fanatic, but it reminds me of no more heroes in europe with no gore... its just not the same. Same goes for if all of a sudden Street Fighter would have tons of blood and whatnot, it would never fit"

This.

If I wanted a proper fighter i'll go play Street Fighter, if I wanted something fun, over the top and with buckets of style MK is the way to go. MK vs DC had neither of those things.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By TheHBK

I wish they would do something like HD Remix did for Street Fighter 2.
Go back and take high res photos of all the characters from Mortal Kombat Trilogy and put that out.  I dont get why fighting games put out stories if no one fucking follows them and they dont make sense since you have so many endings.  I played street fighter 4 and just went, "What the fuck was that?!?!" when I saw a characters ending.  It didnt make sense how they got there.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Rhaknar said:
" @MattyFTM said:
" Mortal Kombat 9 was announced a while ago, although we don't know if it's a traditional MK or a sequel to MK Vs. DC. I'd assume that with the financial difficulties of Midway, DC would be unwilling to do a deal with them currently, so the development at the moment revolves around a classic MK game. However, if the Warner bros. buy midway then the ball is in their court. If they choose to do a deal with DC for an MK Vs. DC sequel, I wouldn't imagine that the development of MK 9 is too far along to be unable to do this. MK 9 is completely up in the air at the moment with the uncertainty of Midway. "
if you read the twitter, he says theres no superheroes "
I did read the twitter. Just because it's not an MK Vs DC sequel at the moment, doesn't mean if/when Warner bros. take over the company it won't be turned into one.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks
@snoopeasystreet said:
" Well the MK team at midway is most likely making a new game but with the current state that midway is in, who knows if it'll ever surface... "

This.
Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I'm saying is I wouldn't put any stock in that twitter account.  Twitter is a fucking joke and I hate it for shit like this.  Unless I can see Ed Boon or someone reliable is saying it then just assume it isn't real.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rhaknar
@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
" All I'm saying is I wouldn't put any stock in that twitter account.  Twitter is a fucking joke and I hate it for shit like this.  Unless I can see Ed Boon or someone reliable is saying it then just assume it isn't real. "
considering it was taken from jeff's twitter, who knows ed boon... im pretty sure its the real twitter...
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I saw details of this yesterday at Mortal Kombat Online. Sounds like MK9 might just be what we've all been waiting for. I think a mature, next-gen MK is what we've all expected, and MKvsDCU served as some nice practice for the MK team in fixing up their gameplay and bringing the series to this generation of consoles. Now that they have some practice under their belts, I'm sure they'll work hard to bring MK back in violent form.