Are trade-in games destroying or helping the industry?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Trade-in games - scurge or paradise?

Surely, on the surface, if the deveolpers are not getting additional money by a game being resold a number of times early in its life, this can't be good right?  But is it as bad as it might seem.  I will not pretend to know the answer, but keen to hear your views,

I only buy a small percentage of my games used.  If I really want a game, I want a pristine copy.  If it is a run of the mill, cheap and meaningless fun game, then hell, why not, buy it cheap and used.  I don't think about the consequences to the industry when I buy them, but mainly because they would be old games and not really relevant anymore.

I am sure you have more relevant views than mine, so illuminate me.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I'm not sure how much used games actually hurt the industry, but it's clear that publishers see the secondary market as lost revenue and many of them are already taking steps to encourage people to buy their games new.  A recent example of this was when Epic Games included a certificate to download some multiplayer maps for the original purchasers of Gears of War 2.

I think the video games industry is heading towards a pure digital distribution model that will practically eliminate the secondary market for games anyway.  I think the movie industry is heading this way as well.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Optiow

It is destroyingthe industry, but helping me.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By TheJollyRajah

I usually prefer to buy new games, unless they don't have new copies in stock.

But I do trade in games at times.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
MB said:
"I'm not sure how much used games actually hurt the industry, but it's clear that publishers see the secondary market as lost revenue and many of them are already taking steps to encourage people to buy their games new.  A recent example of this was when Epic Games included a certificate to download some multiplayer maps for the original purchasers of Gears of War 2.
As it should be.  Incentive is always preferable to punitive.  Give us a reason to buy the new game.

It is little arrogant by some companies to want to control the product after it has been purchased.  Imagine how you would feel if GM/Ford still had rights over your car after you paid for it?  The 'used' market has existed in every consumer marketplace since the dawn of capitalism.  I think I remember talk that Sony was going to force you to register your game with your console, thereby not allowing it to be played by anyone else.  It was only rumour, but all rumour has some element of truth.  Thankfully it never ended up on the PS3.

EB accelerated this whole process by having the 7 day return policy (I assume worldwide).  Many people play out the game to their satisfaction, return it and get a new game, leaving many used copies of what is a new release game.  I personally have never done this, and can't see myself doing it.

The ones who are really encouraging this practice is the sellers of new games.  It has been a massive profit generator for them.  The gamer to gamer selling (via e-bay and the like) is probably the very smallest part of it.  E-bay itself has mos of its games sold by business rather than the individual.  It is just part of free enterprise as I see it, and any attempt to stop it would be seen as anti-competitive by most western government agencies (certainly in Australia).
I think the video games industry is heading towards a pure digital distribution model that will practically eliminate the secondary market for games anyway.  I think the movie industry is heading this way as well."
Geez, I hope not.  It is probably old school of me and quite myopic, but I love the retail package.  I want a hard copy.  I feel naked without it.  Sure, DLC is fine, but not complete games.  Perhaps older games, like VC on the Wii is the only acceptable form for me.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
oldschool said:
"
I think the video games industry is heading towards a pure digital distribution model that will practically eliminate the secondary market for games anyway.  I think the movie industry is heading this way as well."
Geez, I hope not.  It is probably old school of me and quite myopic, but I love the retail package.  I want a hard copy.  I feel naked without it.  Sure, DLC is fine, but not complete games.  Perhaps older games, like VC on the Wii is the only acceptable form for me.
"
Pure Digital Distribution is inevitable for the games industry, but I don't think it'll happen as soon as most people think.

As for the initial question, I think it sort of balances itself out. Sure, people buying used games results in lost revenue for developers, but I think part of the reason that people are willing to spend $60 on a game is because they know they can trade it in or sell it on ebay and get some of their money back. $60 is a lot of money, and I don't think people would be so willing to spend that much on a game if they didn't have the opportunity to make some of the money back at a later date.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By penguindust

Despite what some video game publishers may tell you, the used game market is not hurting the industry.  Every game in circulation has been sold.  The publishers have been paid.  No actual money has been denied them.  The question arises when after-market opponents interject imaginary monies into the conversation.  Projections created by the publishers based off of what they think they might have made had every used game bought been a new game.  But, of course, it doesn't work that way in real life.  Not only can they not assume they'd have sold any reasonable amount of new games if there was no after market, they can't assume the number of original games would have been as high, because (as MattyFTM stated) some games are bought new with the intention of selling them back at a later date.  If publishers want to make up imaginary sales accounts, why don't they create ones in which their new games sell for as cheaply as used games and see if they need to restructure their retail pricing?  But, that would infer that they themselves maybe to blame for any shortfall. 

A second question that must be asked is why should the video game industry deserve to be treated any differently than any other non-consumable manufactory on the market?  Do you think that the depressed automobile industry wouldn't benefit if every car purchased had to be new off the lot?  How about every text book purchased by a new student?  Every DVD, appliance or clothing item?   How many people can afford to buy everything they get, fresh off the shelf and shrink wrapped?  There is just a lot of merchandise that people would be forced to do without.  Additionally, what then happens to all the people employed in these after-markets?  In this turbulent economy, does anyone want to proactively eliminate more jobs?  After all, every job lost means less purchases, new or used.

Finally, while digital distribution is a possible recourse for game publishers, it will not be their only form of distribution for a long time.  Not only is there the bandwidth hurtle to cross, but a consumer connectivity issue, as well.  According to recent reports, Microsoft admits that as many as 10 million of their console users are not connected to the internet.  I don't mean Gold Accounts, either.  I mean, they just never hooked their systems up to an internet connection.  There are many possible reasons for this including inadequate broadband penetration,  disinterest in an online experience, and ignorance about their consoles capabilities.   My brother doesn't have his 360 hooked up because he has a young child and prefers to have the least amount of wires hanging around for his daughter to encounter and wireless is too problematic for his setup.  There will always be people in similar situations where downloading games is not an option, and unless publishers decide to exclude them and their potential profits (more imaginary money)  there will be some sort of physical media for sale.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By gla55jAw

I used to buy new games only because I didn't want a scratched up game and I wanted it complete (with the instructions). Now just about every used game I get has everything and is scratch free, and if it isn't I trade it for one that is. Oh yeah, and they're cheaper, less money = awesome. I usually buy games on eBay because they're usually even cheaper than Gamestop. Are you going to pay $60 for a game thats new, or $35 for it used? It's a no brainer. Although I do understand why people will only buy new, I could care less at this point, $ is $.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
PenguinDust said:
"Lots of sensible stuff - go back and read"
The 'potential' sales or loss of profit is always the one companies inflate for self serving purposes.  I don't want to start an argument on piracy, but they do the same thing there.  Without the used game market would mean that many people would simply purchase/own less games.  There is no loss.  

Using EB as an example, the used market can in fact (and probably does) help to generate new game sales.  There are so many deals on offer for new releases whereby the return of a game reduces the sale price of the new game, making it a more attractive offer for many (not me).  That is why it is so difficult to simply have one position or the other - swings and roundabouts.
Hausdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Hausdog
PenguinDust said:
A long post about used game sales not hurting developers because they have already been paid by the time games show up on the shelves
That's true, but retailers take into account that many people will buy their games used and therefore will buy fewer new games, thus "hurting" them a little bit. I agree that it's "arrogant," as one poster above me said, to think they have some special blessing by God that allows them to control their product after it's already been purchased (beyond obvious things, like piracy), I'm just saying that it IS an inescapable fact that comes when you deal in easy-to-resell products.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Jayge_

While used game sales potentially aid the industry by getting people with lower incomes into videogames, the fact that it's helping GameStop (who's poor business practices don't need to be listed ad nauseum again) maintain a monopoly on game stores greatly outweighs that. I have no idea if it's hurting the game industry per se, but it sure is fucking over the retail industry as a whole.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By crunchUK

guess what everybody

people trade in games

TO BUY MORE GAMES

:O

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By aaox

I don't know. CrunchUK up there seems to have the same opinion as me. If I'm trading in a game, it's usually because I want another game. It may not help the developers of the game I traded (Is it traded or trode? Both sound wrong.) in, but it's helping other developers. I would assume it would be more deterimental to the industry than helpful, but as long as people are doing it it stays with us, apparently. But if we couldn't trade in games, what then? We'd still be stuck with all the old games we had ten years ago. I guess it could sorta be considered recycling, in a way.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Linkyshinks

It definitely has a negative impact, but I would not go as far as to say they are destroying it, not yet anyway. That may well change if Amazon.com take a lead in the trade-in service, with one they are about to start in the US. If that proves successful, and is rolled out worldwide, with their clout they could impact developer revenue severely.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#15  Edited By AgentJ
dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By dsplayer1010

How could it be helping it?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dalai

It's really simple.  More used games sold means fewer new games sold which means less money for developers and publishers which means fewer games, more expensive games in the future, or lower quality games.

It won't kill the industry, but it's not helping.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By Arkthemaniac

They surely aren't helping, but I don't think they're hurting either. $60 games are hurting the industry.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By c1337us

Hey oldschool did you read this months issue of HYPER? There is a good article in there about how trade ins effect the video game industry. With out having ever research anything on the subject I would have once said that yes trade ins do have a negative effect. But havent read the article in HYPER issue #186 just release they make some very good arguments has to why it doesnt hurt the game industry but in fact help it.

1. Pre-owned game sales are what keeps specialty stores doing business. With the big boys like JB HiFi etc who often have opening day specials to undercuts the smaller speciality stores, a lot of the profits come from selling pre-owned titles. Having stores like EB, GAME and Gametraders around is going to motivate larger stores like JB to have competitve prices good for consumers because of lower prices good for game companies more sales.

2. Now that DLC is the current big thing with all games since the new console generation a second hand title doesnt necessarily mean that the game companies miss out altogether. Some one for example buys a second hand copy of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion cheaply rather then buying it new is still likely to spend the money eventually on expansions such as Shivering Isles or Knights of the Nine etc.

3. Of all the game store staff interviews most said that about 85-90% of all trade in credit was used on new games or consoles and console periphials which is money going straight back into game developers pockets.

4. Without stores such as Gamtraders many old games would be difficult up to impossible to find. Because not everyone is a collector. Many people would rather trade in old games that they do not play in favor of store credits once again spent on new games (Gametraders for example estimate only 20% of sales is spent on pre owns). This gives the collector another source of material and the credit used by the people trading in goes back to the game companies.

So my vote now is for option B.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By BiG_Weasel
MB said:
"I'm not sure how much used games actually hurt the industry, but it's clear that publishers see the secondary market as lost revenue and many of them are already taking steps to encourage people to buy their games new. .I think the video games industry is heading towards a pure digital distribution model that will practically eliminate the secondary market for games anyway.  I think the movie industry is heading this way as well."
Until the majority of consumers have fast broadband, this'll never happen. It'll take days for most DSL users to download today's games if they continue to be 10+ gb in size.  And it won't eliminate piracy, either. Heck, there's even a work-around for Steam activation out there now.

Arkthemaniac said:
"They surely aren't helping, but I don't think they're hurting either. $60 games are hurting the industry."
That's the absolute truth in a down economy, with every discretionary penny scrutinized.  Also, there's an absence on the market of truely top quality games. AAA games will always do well, but so many titles out there are just mid-ranged in quality, and completely undeserving of the same price tag as top-tier titles. A prime example comes to mind- Dawn of War II. Steam and Gamestop both have it still for $50. GoGamer.com has it for $35.  You tell me where the better value is.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jayge_
c1337us said:
"Hey oldschool did you read this months issue of HYPER? There is a good article in there about how trade ins effect the video game industry. With out having ever research anything on the subject I would have once said that yes trade ins do have a negative effect. But havent read the article in HYPER issue #186 just release they make some very good arguments has to why it doesnt hurt the game industry but in fact help it. 1. Pre-owned game sales are what keeps specialty stores doing business. With the big boys like JB HiFi etc who often have opening day specials to undercuts the smaller speciality stores, a lot of the profits come from selling pre-owned titles. Having stores like EB, GAME and Gametraders around is going to motivate larger stores like JB to have competitve prices good for consumers because of lower prices good for game companies more sales. 2. Now that DLC is the current big thing with all games since the new console generation a second hand title doesnt necessarily mean that the game companies miss out altogether. Some one for example buys a second hand copy of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion cheaply rather then buying it new is still likely to spend the money eventually on expansions such as Shivering Isles or Knights of the Nine etc. 3. Of all the game store staff interviews most said that about 85-90% of all trade in credit was used on new games or consoles and console periphials which is money going straight back into game developers pockets. 4. Without stores such as Gamtraders many old games would be difficult up to impossible to find. Because not everyone is a collector. Many people would rather trade in old games that they do not play in favor of store credits once again spent on new games (Gametraders for example estimate only 20% of sales is spent on pre owns). This gives the collector another source of material and the credit used by the people trading in goes back to the game companies. So my vote now is for option B."
You do know that stores like GameStop and GAME are the reason why stores like EB and other smaller electronics chains (not to mention individual mom-and-pop game shops) have been bought out and shoved out of business, right? It's killing any chance of a competitive retail industry, which is the exact opposite of what keeps prices down. Why do you think GameStop gets away with such low trade-in prices?
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oldschool

Interesting side topic (and relevant to this discussion) on digital distribution.  MB is right I figure, as while you 'own' it, you can't do anything with it, except play it.  This is the industry's definitive way of controlling the market.  If you buy and encourage digital distribution, you are in effect, supporting control of the market by the big companies.  That is a very slippery slope in my opinion (one I avoid for whole, large games).

Console games, in retail pack form, are the only product that you truly own.  Truly own meaning that it can be onsold as many times and in any way you want.  PC games are different.  The industry makes that difficult because there is no single platform for them to run on. That is why the used market for PC games is so vastly different (you don't see a lot of them around).  There are  to many risks for the less informed (me).  I have a keycode wizard that will assign missing codes to get games to run, if necessary, but they can't be used online.  I find it all too hard, so PC isn't my preferred platform.

I must also agree and reinforce the view that trading games is a end result of the desire to buy more games.  I can't see how that hurts the industry.  Most likely, the person who then purchased the used game was very unlikely to have purcased the new game - that false assumption of a lost sale.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oldschool
c1337us said:
"Hey oldschool did you read this months issue of HYPER? There is a good article in there about how trade ins effect the video game industry. 
Why yes, yes I did.  That is why I started it.  I didn't want to quote the whole article as it was mainly Australian based and I wanted to give the opportunity for community views rather than a journalist's views.  That edition makes me want to get Madworld :P

Oh, and I think MB and BiggerBomb should take it to a cage, then podcast the match :P  You have to love the passion - no criticism, just a good read.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By BiggerBomb
oldschool said:
"c1337us said:
"Hey oldschool did you read this months issue of HYPER? There is a good article in there about how trade ins effect the video game industry. 
Why yes, yes I did.  That is why I started it.  I didn't want to quote the whole article as it was mainly Australian based and I wanted to give the opportunity for community views rather than a journalist's views.  That edition makes me want to get Madworld :P

Oh, and I think MB and BiggerBomb should take it to a cage, then podcast the match :P  You have to love the passion - no criticism, just a good read.
"
Saying that isn't going to help anything! =/

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By prinny_god
crunchUK said:
"guess what everybody

people trade in games

TO BUY MORE GAMES :O"
that's right and really all there is to it
really instead of companies making a 100 million dollars they are making 99 million that's all
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By oldschool
BiggerBomb said:
Saying that isn't going to help anything! =/"
Who said I was trying to help :P

Carry on.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I'll be your tag, BiggerBomb.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Diamond

For those that don't understand how tradeins could hurt game makers :  Less people end up buying NEW copies of the game (which the publisher/developer gets paid for).  Gamer guy #1 buys game A, trades it in and gets game B, Gamer guy #2 buys marked up game A, instead of buying a brand new copy of game A which the developer/publisher would have made money on.  There is a certain circulation because Gamer guy #1 is using the credit towards game B, but the flow is taken away somewhat by the store selling and taking trade-ins.

I really fear a future of download only games.  Already I'm very apprehensive about the in-package code-based DLC they're already putting in console games.  Before you know it we might be registering serial codes over the net as PC gamers have been for a while now.  What I want out of a console is a disk that I can put in a box and it plays immediately if I want it to.  If my internet is down or I can't download a large file I don't want to deal with any other crap.

I think in the console space, anyone who goes this direction any time soon will face a brick wall.  The downloadable market is growing fast, but it's still not a fraction of the retail disk market.  Resident Evil 5, for example, has over 250,000 people registered as beating the first chapter within just 2 days of the release.  That's just the people always connected to the net with their 360 and with Live Gold and beat the first chapter.  Games like Castle Crashers which cost much less took months to get to that level (and CC is one of the best selling downloadable games).  If the future MS, Sony, and Nintendo platforms don't play all old downloaded games from THIS generation, I think they can kiss that future goodbye, or at least a very long ways off.

As far as used games : hurting the industry slightly, but necessary as respect to customers

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By oldschool
Diamond said:
Already I'm very apprehensive about the in-package code-based DLC they're already putting in console games.  Before you know it we might be registering serial codes over the net as PC gamers have been for a while now.  What I want out of a console is a disk that I can put in a box and it plays immediately if I want it to.  If my internet is down or I can't download a large file I don't want to deal with any other crap.
It's like your reading my freakin' mind man!

I just want a gam that I can play whenever I damn well feel like, without having to connect to the internet.  I bought Viva Pinata for the PC, not really understanding that I HAVE to be connected to the internet to play it!  WTF.  I just want to have a save file on my computer and play it as I feel like it.  In future I will not buy a game that has the same requirements.  A console game should just be a console game and some DLC that enhances the game, not makes it.

Plus, get the game right before it goes retail, not after with a patch.  Some of us have very limited internet access.
Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Ujio
oldschool said:
It is little arrogant by some companies to want to control the product after it has been purchased.  Imagine how you would feel if GM/Ford still had rights over your car after you paid for it?
They don't want to control the product they simply want compensation for that extra sale. And by all rights they deserve it. How would you like to create something, sell it to someone, and then they in turn sell it exponentially and continue to reap profits while you sit there like an idiot and you only receive a profit from that one initial sale? Meanwhile that person is making bank off of your hard work while they laugh in your face. Would you find that fair? I wouldn't. Most rational people would consider that type of behavior "theft." But in the business world it's OK. That makes sense? Oh yeah, capitalism...sorry, forgot.

oldschool said:
The 'used' market has existed in every consumer marketplace since the dawn of capitalism.

And just because something has been around for a long time doesn't make it right or justified either. That's what is the matter with capitalism: It's all centered around GREED. Me, me, me, what can I do for ME to make MYSELF better? Nevermind the people that actually developed the game, it's all about how I can profit from their labor. God forbid you might have to *gasp* SHARE! Jesus, they teach you that shit in kindergarten yet somehow we all forget that simple concept. With the amount of boasting that GameStop does and how they manage to break a new profit record every quarter I'm sure they can afford to give back a small royalty to those people that allow GameStop to even exist at all.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By oldschool
Ujio said:
"oldschool said:
It is little arrogant by some companies to want to control the product after it has been purchased.  Imagine how you would feel if GM/Ford still had rights over your car after you paid for it?
They don't want to control the product they simply want compensation for that extra sale. And by all rights they deserve it. How would you like to create something, sell it to someone, and then they in turn sell it exponentially and continue to reap profits while you sit there like an idiot and you only receive a profit from that one initial sale? Meanwhile that person is making bank off of your hard work while they laugh in your face. Would you find that fair? I wouldn't. Most rational people would consider that type of behavior "theft." But in the business world it's OK. That makes sense? Oh yeah, capitalism...sorry, forgot.
This is an amazing  scenario for me.  I am a socialist, yet here I am about to argue for capatilism.

They do want to control it, as gaining continued profit on every resale is control.  Think of the Ford/GM scenario again.  Would it be fair for society if they were paid a fee every time the car was sold?  Hell no.  I have made product of my own and I am sure it was resold by some people.  I could care less.  The reason is that the cost of development and production was met by the initial purchaser.  If we are to go down the route of ongoing fees, then the initial pric of the product would need to be massively reduced.

The only industry I am aware of that has onselling fees paid back to the creator is art, specifically Aboriginal art in Australia.  I actually support that and do see it as a completely differnet situation.

I do consider myself rational and by no means do I see any theft.  It is a product.  Once purchased it is property.  So no, I could disagree with you more.

Ujio
said:
oldschool said:
The 'used' market has existed in every consumer marketplace since the dawn of capitalism.

And just because something has been around for a long time doesn't make it right or justified either. That's what is the matter with capitalism: It's all centered around GREED. Me, me, me, what can I do for ME to make MYSELF better? Nevermind the people that actually developed the game, it's all about how I can profit from their labor. God forbid you might have to *gasp* SHARE! Jesus, they teach you that shit in kindergarten yet somehow we all forget that simple concept. With the amount of boasting that GameStop does and how they manage to break a new profit record every quarter I'm sure they can afford to give back a small royalty to those people that allow GameStop to even exist at all."
True, slavery was around from the early days and by no means was it ever right.  However, the very nature of capitalism is the right of trade and ownership.  If I sell a cow to my neighbour, I do not expect to be paid extra ongoing reward for any milk or calves produced.  Capatilsm could not function under this rule.

You mention share, but I fail to see the relevance.  The delevoper is sharing the game with the buyer.  The buyer is then sharing the gamee at a reduced price with another buyer.  Circle of life.  Sure, some middlemen profit from this, but not usually the indiviual, but rather a store.  Fair enough again, as that pays to keep the business afloat.  
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By c1337us
Jayge said:
"c1337us said:
"Hey oldschool did you read this months issue of HYPER? There is a good article in there about how trade ins effect the video game industry. With out having ever research anything on the subject I would have once said that yes trade ins do have a negative effect. But havent read the article in HYPER issue #186 just release they make some very good arguments has to why it doesnt hurt the game industry but in fact help it. 1. Pre-owned game sales are what keeps specialty stores doing business. With the big boys like JB HiFi etc who often have opening day specials to undercuts the smaller speciality stores, a lot of the profits come from selling pre-owned titles. Having stores like EB, GAME and Gametraders around is going to motivate larger stores like JB to have competitve prices good for consumers because of lower prices good for game companies more sales. 2. Now that DLC is the current big thing with all games since the new console generation a second hand title doesnt necessarily mean that the game companies miss out altogether. Some one for example buys a second hand copy of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion cheaply rather then buying it new is still likely to spend the money eventually on expansions such as Shivering Isles or Knights of the Nine etc. 3. Of all the game store staff interviews most said that about 85-90% of all trade in credit was used on new games or consoles and console periphials which is money going straight back into game developers pockets. 4. Without stores such as Gamtraders many old games would be difficult up to impossible to find. Because not everyone is a collector. Many people would rather trade in old games that they do not play in favor of store credits once again spent on new games (Gametraders for example estimate only 20% of sales is spent on pre owns). This gives the collector another source of material and the credit used by the people trading in goes back to the game companies. So my vote now is for option B."
You do know that stores like GameStop and GAME are the reason why stores like EB and other smaller electronics chains (not to mention individual mom-and-pop game shops) have been bought out and shoved out of business, right? It's killing any chance of a competitive retail industry, which is the exact opposite of what keeps prices down. Why do you think GameStop gets away with such low trade-in prices?
"
We dont Gamestops and GAME is a more recent addition trying to break into the strangle hold EB has on our market over here. I have yet to see an instances were any new gaming store has pushed out another business even a individual small business. They all seem to be doing pretty well co-existing with one another where I live.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By oldschool
c1337us said:
We dont Gamestops and GAME is a more recent addition trying to break into the strangle hold EB has on our market over here. I have yet to see an instances were any new gaming store has pushed out another business even a individual small business. They all seem to be doing pretty well co-existing with one another where I live."
JB also broke into the used market as well right?  Competition is always a good thing for the consumer.  There are and always have been plenty of other places buying and selling used games.  Natural selection will always win out.  I have 2 very good places that sell only used games (in Launceston and Wynyard) and they are both small, independent businesses.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jayge_
c1337us said:
"We dont Gamestops and GAME is a more recent addition trying to break into the strangle hold EB has on our market over here. I have yet to see an instances were any new gaming store has pushed out another business even a individual small business. They all seem to be doing pretty well co-existing with one another where I live."
EB *is* GameStop. And GAME is just GameStop: Overseas Edition. GAME and GS have been busting other stores out of business and buying out the ones they like for years now. You're only naming big top stores and talking about them co-existing- where are the smaller retail chains? Where are the mom-and-pop operations? How is "the entire market is cornered by 3 companies, max" competitive at all?
Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Shazam

Zombies will destroy us before we destroy the games industry. Then Valve will be laughing at us all - Left 4 Dead was a training simulator for their team...

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By penguindust

First off, excellent defense of the capitalistic market, old school.  I know it must have pained you, but the naiveté in Ujio's post had to be addressed.  Because video games are a digital medium that can be modified without the "owner's" knowledge, the publishers already have an element of control that is not available to other product manufacturers.  A recent example of this control was the Gears of War on PC certificate error.  People who had purchased the game legally could not play the game since a the DRM license on the game expired.  DRM is in it self a form of control over digital media.  Of course, it is used to battle piracy (save that topic for another time) and the PC is a different beast than a console, but it still serves as an example of the control that publishers wish to maintain over your games.  I don't know if it's been completely fixed, but there was a time in which if your 360 broke (and whose didn't?) and Microsoft sent you a new one, the games you downloaded wouldn't work if you weren't connected to the internet.  Thus, Microsoft had control of where you played your games.  Public outcry forced some changes, but I'm not sure if the old grieveneces still exist.  And, every publisher still retains the intellectual property rights to everything in a game, as well.  There used to be a site called NinjaHacker.net devoted to fan created custom content for DOA and other similar games.  Tecmo sued them claiming the hack violated the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.  This wasn't a question of piracy or unfair profit, only of who maintains control over a product after it has been sold.  Eventually, the case was settled between the website's creator, its hosting provider and Tecmo.  The details of the settlement, to my knowledge have never been made clear, however the website does not exist anymore.  More after market control, and in this case of a console property.  I admit, the boundries of the copyright protection and fair use are murky, purposely so.  It's another arguement for another topic in the future, but it still serves as an example of the control publishers with to establish over products ad infinitum.  By denying consumers the ability to resell the games they've already legal purchased, video game publishers wish to increase the amount of control they have over your "ownership." 

A second point that has been raised concerns the level of liability a Gamestop or GAME has over the prosperity of a smaller, locally owned business.  Are we assuming then that the reason Gamestop is responsible for their demise is because it sells pre-owned games, and therefore, local gamestores can't compete with a national chain store?  Are we then admitting that the only relevant source of income for these "mom-and-pop" gamestores is their after-market merchandise?  Wouldn't they be hurt equally if game publishers disallowed the resale of video games?  Doesn't the "bad guy" role then shift from Gamestop to the publisher?  Who profits in the end?  Wal-Mart.  If Gamestop and "mom-and-pop" stores have anything in common, its an inability to compete with Wal-mart.  I believe that is why Gamestop turned to pre-owned sales in the first place.  And now that Amazon, Bestbuy and FYE are in the pre-owned media business, whatever demon-like powers Gamestop has over your locally owned gameshop will dilute as that power is multiplied by greater competition.  To that end, I believe that everyone is a winner, or at least that is my hope.  For the consumer it can mean not only will they receive larger credit for their used games and therefore have more money to turn into new purchases, be they new or pre-owned games, but it can also mean that they will have the opportunity to enjoy many more games than they would have otherwise.  This excitement usually creates buzz for follow-up titles and can increase the sales of new games.  In other words, if you picked up Uncharted used and were delighted by the charming characters, challenging gameplay and rousing storyline, you'll probably buy the sequel at first chance.  Now, that is a fuzzy generalization, I admit, and I am usually against such speculation however if other people are allowed to make such leaps of logic then I should I play by a different rule set this time?  But, the truth of the matter is no one can really say what you will actually do at the time when the opportunity presents itself. 

A final point that has disturbed me is how we are defining the games industry.  It seems that we are limitiing our definintion to that of the game developers and publishers.  However, the industy is much larger than that as it includes everyone from the ESRB to retailers to Giant Bomb.  But, if we choose to narrow the focus of our conversation to just how publishers and developers are effected by the video game after-market, what perceptions have we arrived at?  Some believe that by eliminating the pre-owned sale of games, it will force consumers to buy new, full priced games when they do buy games.  That in turn creates more money for the publishers, e.i. Microsoft, Sony, EA, Activision, etc...and they will then choose to continue to fund developers to produce new games which then consumers buy at retail and the cycle continues.  It's all very good for the publishers.  Of course, the developers are still in a subservient role.  Crystal Dynamics saw layoffs following the release of Tomb Raider: Underworld despite its sale of 2.6 million units.  It was said to have underperformed expectations.  What I am trying to illustrate here is the fragility of believing that if "A" leads to "B" the result is "C", a.k.a good times for all.   Not only can outside forced effect the structure of the market, the self interests of facets within the structure can redirect the outcome, as well.   Much like the economics of underpants gnomes, unquantified assumptions are ambiguous and their desired results untrustworthy.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By animateria

Trade-in Promo's for NEW games.

Trade-ins is a double edged sword, for the developer anyways. It is used to boost new game sales, while it hurts the games value-over-time.

Truth is though, Gamestop is able to survive because of Trade-ins, they don't get the big chunk of a retail copy, they make their money from Trade-ins.

For the consumer, I don't support the $59.99 price tag. Its way too high, and isn't justified (look at PC game prices for the same game).

If Developers and Publishers want the consumer to buy new games, they need to make them more affordable than it is right now.

The percentage of console games purchased compared to PC games and Handheld games in my library has been in a decline. I wait-out for severe price drops and deals before I buy most games.

If the Publishers want me to buy more games, I'd say go back to PS2 era pricing.

I generally don't buy used copies, for my own reasons not in support for developers or anything, but I see it as a viable option for many people who don't find the retail price agreeable.