Are video games making you shy?

jenniferlipka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jenniferlipka

a friend of mine just sent me this article, it was on yahoo buzz. It talks about whether or not shyness and poor social skills are connected to playing video games.

she sent it to me because I am quite shy, and, obviously, I play video games.

here is the link, if you want to read it,  http://buzz.yahoo.com/article/   

I agree with him though, it isnt what you expect from the title! lol i think he got it spot on.

jen

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jNerd

Nope. I am the opposite of shy.
tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By tomance

I think the same thing could be said for anything that causes you to not physically interact with people.  Sitting on the computer too long daily could do the same.  

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Binman88

Good article, and I agree, they don't.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By zeforgotten

Nope, I have no problems going outside and talking to people. 
I have a weird problem playing online, I don't enjoy it if there's nobody there that I know playing with me. 
Dunno why..

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho

Video games like most addictive things simply enable bad habits you have already, they don't give them to you but they keep you from ever having to confront the fear. Kind of like taking medication to 'solve' depression. You confront the source of something to solve it, anything else just staves it off. If you're extremely shy already, I could see videogames being an outlet that keeps you from ever feeling the need to break out of your shell. But hey its your life, waste it however you want.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Ineedaname

Nope, not at all.
I play games pretty much daily, and I'm certainly not shy.
Now if only I could tell everyone else that.

But really, they're probably associated to a point, if you play games for hours and hours daily, you're obviously missing out on a level of social interaction which might affect it, or you could just apply what you've learned from video games to social life, that always works, always.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By EpicSteve

I think the opposite is true. If you're naturally shy, obviously you aren't going out as much. So what is their to do alone at home? Videogames! I'm sure gaming can generate socially awkward people, but it's more likely that those people are attracted to videogames.

VIGGO123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By VIGGO123

Nope, definitely not.
But in extreme situations that might be the case, someone who got no life outside in the real world won't learn the social skills needed for interaction.

Synchronatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Synchronatic
@jNerd said:

" Nope"

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ryanwho
@EpicSteve said:
" I think the opposite is true. If you're naturally shy, obviously you aren't going out as much. So what is their to do alone at home? Videogames! I'm sure gaming can generate socially awkward people, but it's more likely that those people are attracted to videogames. "
That's it. But the thing is, most of these theories targeted at videogames could be at large applied to the internet in general, but nobody wants to strawman the internet because everyone uses that.
r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By r0k1ll

No. All of my friends have an xbox, and i talk to them on it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee

Nah, gaming is just a hobby that agrees greatly with some shy people I'd say.
CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CandleJakk

I'm the most extroverted person in my family, and most of my circle of friends, and probably the most avid game-player too.

Brockly46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Brockly46

I wouldnt say im shy I just dont feel the need to be the center of attention.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Stang

I am extremely extroverted, I don't necessarily see the correlation between games and introversion. Perhaps for those of us who have no life besides video games I can understand this, but I doubt many people are that extreme.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By artofwar420

Well, if that's all you do then you might lack some social skills. Obviously not BECAUSE of video games, you could also ONLY read books all day or watch TV all day. 

You know correlation does not equal causation remember that.

Avatar image for generalmojo_786
GeneralMojo_786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GeneralMojo_786

noh

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kmdrkul

I'm shy about telling women I like videogames, but as a whole they aren't what make me a timid person.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PureRok
@mrcool11 said:
" i know a guy who plays video games and he whipped his cock out in the school hallway. definitely not shy "
I think that still fits under "socially inept."
JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22  Edited By JonathanMoore

Nah, I aint like dat. I totally talk a shit load and still play enough Video Games daily.

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JeevesPleez
@mrcool11: lolwut

Yeah, sounds like everyone here knows what's up.
Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Jambones

I am a pretty shy guy and not able to get out a lot, so if anything games, even discussing gaming, are actually a big help in becoming comfortable in social situations. It's not like I can't strike up a conversation on my own, but I am very much an introvert.

@artofwar420 said:

"Well, if that's all you do then you might lack some social skills. Obviously not BECAUSE of video games, you could also ONLY read books all day or watch TV all day.   You know correlation does not equal causation remember that. "
That pretty much sums up my opinion as well. Too much isolated time doing whatever activity is the cause, not video games.
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Have they ever thought that shy people gravitate towards video games, instead of video games making people shy? I can see if you play video games too much and you don't do anything else (too much of ANYTHING is bad), but if you play games moderately I doubt you'd have any problems.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By meteora

I'm just naturally shy or self-reserved if anything. Video games don't really have much to do with that, though there is a chance that it does seeing how I never like spending time outside the house.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Whisperkill

I am shy towards other who play video games whom I don't know

Like, there is a girl in my Chinese class that references TF2 everyday, yet I don't say anything to her.

But overall, Im not very shy.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By weegieanawrench
@EpicSteve said:
" I think the opposite is true. If you're naturally shy, obviously you aren't going out as much. So what is their to do alone at home? Videogames! I'm sure gaming can generate socially awkward people, but it's more likely that those people are attracted to videogames. "
This.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By c1337us

Video games don't make people shy. But I could definately see an argument for video games helping already shy people even more reclusive.

SadisticApathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SadisticApathy

I'm really, really shy, but I've always been. It doesn't matter if it's real life or the net, I have a really hard time talking to people besides those I know really well. Video games might have helped facilitate a reason for me not to combat my shyness, but it didn't really cause it.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Black_Raven

I don't think games MAKE you shy, I think the correlation between gamers and shyness is that people who are shy are more likely to play a significant amount of games compared to someone who isn't as shy

Eyepatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Eyepatch
@Jambones said:
" I am a pretty shy guy and not able to get out a lot, so if anything games, even discussing gaming, are actually a big help in becoming comfortable in social situations. It's not like I can't strike up a conversation on my own, but I am very much an introvert."
This applies to me to some extent as well, however I don't consider myself to be all that shy. I find video games as a great icebreaker in comfortable social situations (a lot more so in recent years than they were in my teenage days where gaming was still the "nerdy" thing to do). Of course getting the ball rolling without sounding lame like, "So how bout that Master Chief, huh?" can be tricky but there's usually some way to sneak the topic of games into a conversation without sounding forced or silly.