#1 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

I mean in 2010 we all made lists and they listed the overall GOTY as well as the user's GOTY, but in 2011 they did the whole guess the staff's top picks which was fun but also less interesting on the whole. There was sort of one that a user made in 2011 but it just wasn't the same. I just wanted people to sound off and think about what they'd rather do (I mean no reason we can't do both, honestly).

#2 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2004 posts) -

@Animasta: That's a good question. I'm wondering this too considering the whole website redesign might make doing anything with lists awkward.

I figure it's definitely still doable, though, as long as the mods are on board and remember how to do the same thing with lists like we did last year. That's always fun!

#3 Edited by Animasta (14648 posts) -

well as far as I know, it was just a user who made a thing which checked everyone's account and found a list specifically titled GOTY 2011 (I think). and that was fun but it also had way less people doing it.

Anyone know where that post went? I forgot who did it.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (11699 posts) -

I hope so!

That would be awesome if ThatFrood could do what he did last year.

Also, when is the right time to start making GOTY lists? It would have to be at least mid-Decemberish right?

#5 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

It would be nice if, when GOTY comes around, a moderator could create a thread specifically for users to post their top 10s. I was going to do something like that around December so that the forums don't become clogged with individual top 10s.

#6 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@BeachThunder: It can be any time really. I was all set to make my list (because I am a poor and dont have money for games) than one of my friends gifted me sleeping dogs, walking dead and mark of the ninja, so now I have to play those first.

Regardless of who does it though, staff or users, I hope it gets more exposure on the site.

#7 Edited by EquitasInvictus (2004 posts) -

@Animasta said:

well as far as I know, it was just a user who made a thing which checked everyone's account and found a list specifically titled GOTY 2011 (I think). and that was fun but it also had way less people doing it.

Anyone know where that post went? I forgot who did it.

Oh dear, I think I'm getting mixed with The Best of the *E3 and this GotY-type thing on another former Whiskey Media site people don't want to talk about anymore that those forums' mods ran.

Quick! I'm sure they're on this site, too, someone go grab them!

*edit, My bad; I originally wrote "best of the year" instead of "Best of E3"

#8 Posted by TheHT (10888 posts) -

I hope so! The whole guessing thing wasn't that great.

#9 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2004 posts) -

In addition, we should totally narrow it down to the top 3-5 and make an official thread for no holds barred discussions on the user GotY. Everyone would love that!

#10 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus said:

In addition, we should totally narrow it down to the top 3-5 and make an official thread for no holds barred discussions on the user GotY. Everyone would love that!

oh god don't even say that, that would be the worst.

also I can already say it'd be the walking dead so it's not gonna be too surprising.

#11 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2004 posts) -

@Animasta: Yeah, the thread would likely boil down to flamebait and ad hominem insult fights.

I feel like there'll inevitably be a dissenting opinion thread on it, in either case, and it'll end that way. If it doesn't and it actually remains civil, then my hope for humanity will definitely increase.

I can see The Walking Dead win it, too.

#13 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -
@BeachThunder

I hope so!

That would be awesome if ThatFrood could do what he did last year.

Also, when is the right time to start making GOTY lists? It would have to be at least mid-Decemberish right?

I make mine on the last day of the year.
#14 Posted by BeachThunder (11699 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@BeachThunder: It can be any time really. I was all set to make my list (because I am a poor and dont have money for games) than one of my friends gifted me sleeping dogs, walking dead and mark of the ninja, so now I have to play those first.

Regardless of who does it though, staff or users, I hope it gets more exposure on the site.

Yep, I've still got Dishonored, Spec Ops and Virtue's Last Reward to complete (I think I might skip Far Cry 3 for the time being. Anyway, I imagine that a lot of people are in the same boat of having several games to finish up before the end of the year. I suppose someone could create a thread now and people that feel they're ready to make a GOTY list could go for it.

#15 Posted by RazielCuts (2930 posts) -

I still love this from Ryan about Enslaved talking about GOTY 2010 and people were loving that game (I liked it a lot) but yeah it went over into hippy mode. Turn the volume up to hear Ryan's under the breath mutterings, a rare Jeff Green as well in the background.

#16 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

I've been thinking about doing a GOTY podcast thing like the bombcast but with some well known users. I don't think anyone would be up for it though.

#17 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

I was wondering this, since it wasn't really something I'd looked at in earlier years. And now, when I'm actually interested, I'm not sure what it's going to be, and I'd like to know.

Collating everyone's picks into GOTY would be pretty neat, although it sounds like quite the task. If nothing else, I'd really like to see just how divergent the community is from the staff. Wildly so, bopefully.

#18 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

Oh wow I should probably get to working on that list now that all of the games that I care about are out now for this year...well I guess there's also Far Cry 3.

#19 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1233 posts) -

There was a user one that someone made last year. I liked guessing the staffs goty too though!

#20 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

After I finish Far Cry 3 and AC3.

#21 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

I haven't played enough games from this year to make a list :/

#22 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I sure hope that happened. It was missed last year. In 2010 the top 50 games picks were all shown and lots of people made lists.

#23 Posted by bkbroiler (1606 posts) -

@RobotHamster said:

Same! If I named every game I played this year I don't know if it would even make 10. I pretty much liked everything I played, too! Makes me a poor critic.

#24 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@bkbroiler said:

@RobotHamster said:

Same! If I named every game I played this year I don't know if it would even make 10. I pretty much liked everything I played, too! Makes me a poor critic.

I think it makes you someone who chooses the games they play wisely.

#25 Posted by RecSpec (3763 posts) -

Not sure, they're launching the new site beta next month, so it'll be hard to say whether they plan on doing anything or not.

#26 Posted by bkbroiler (1606 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: Hmmm... good point! I just choose poorly years after the fact when things are on Steam sale.

#27 Posted by TruthTellah (8537 posts) -

@Animasta: Seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to think will happen this year. If you're particularly worried about whether it is happening, why not start a forum post calling for people to make GOTY lists as blog posts. They can all name them the same thing, like "My Picks for the Top Games of the Year" or just "My GOTY Picks". And then either link to their lists in response to the original post or you or someone else can round them up later through a blog search. Give everyone till some date in December and be done with it.

I mean, just an idea.

#28 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

I remember that from 2010, it was really fun. My vote is to vote for categories, make individual lists, and then for someone to compile the lists to determine the GB Community Picks. It would be some work, but worth doing.

#29 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@TruthTellah: well the guy who did it in 2011 didn't do it manually, he made some sort of program that checked all lists named GOTY 2011 or something and compiled it there. and I don't know how to do that.

but the staff officially did it in 2010 so I was just wondering.

#30 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@bkbroiler said:

@RobotHamster said:

I think it makes you someone who chooses the games they play wisely.

Well that and I just haven't had the time or money to play them. But from the sale I bought about 4 games from this year so I'll just make a list based off those.

#31 Posted by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

We shall

MY GOTY......

#32 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

I've been thinking about doing a GOTY podcast thing like the bombcast but with some well known users. I don't think anyone would be up for it though.

I don't know if i'm well known enough, but I'd gladly join in on the podcast with you if you've got room for it.

#33 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

Yeah i loved what they did in 2010. Having a community top ten compiled from user lists? Brilliant!

#34 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -
@Bobby_The_Great

@Phatmac said:

I don't know if i'm well known enough, but I'd gladly join in on the podcast with you if you've got room for it.

I'm not picky enough to deny your request so don't worry about it. All I need is someone that knows how to record a podcast in Skype. I'll probably make a topic on this podcast idea soon enough.
#35 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

@Phatmac: It's pretty easy, as I've done several. I use Skype to make the call, balance out mic levels via Skype, use MP3 Recorder to record the call, then I edit it (if needed) in Adobe Audition. It's a fairly simple process to do. As far as hosting it, you can either put it on Youtube if you want, or just make it a MP3 file for people to download it. You'd need a website with decent server space and set up a RSS feed to have it on Itunes. I just always needed the people willing to talk about games. The podcast I've done before were about horror movies.

#36 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Phatmac: I'd be in for it. Then again, I'm not particularly well known and I'd probably just yell about Asura's Wrath a lot!

#37 Posted by AndrewB (7492 posts) -

Regardless of what y'all do, I'll be making the same GOTY list I always have, even if no one sees it (and no one will...)

#38 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@Phatmac: I'd be in for it. Then again, I'm not particularly well known and I'd probably just yell about Asura's Wrath a lot!

But you're the lord of one of the most popular threads on this website! In all honesty I'm gonna drop the well known part and just gather some people around for this thing if there is enough interest. I'd also gladly appreciate someone that supports Asura's Wrath. I'll be posting a thread about this today hopefully.

#39 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

@Bobby_The_Great said:

@Phatmac: It's pretty easy, as I've done several. I use Skype to make the call, balance out mic levels via Skype, use MP3 Recorder to record the call, then I edit it (if needed) in Adobe Audition. It's a fairly simple process to do. As far as hosting it, you can either put it on Youtube if you want, or just make it a MP3 file for people to download it. You'd need a website with decent server space and set up a RSS feed to have it on Itunes. I just always needed the people willing to talk about games. The podcast I've done before were about horror movies.

If you're wiling to help record it and post it then I'll actually gather some duders around and do this thing.

#40 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

@Cloudenvy said:

But you're the lord of one of the most popular threads on this website! In all honesty I'm gonna drop the well known part and just gather some people around for this thing if there is enough interest. I'd also gladly appreciate someone that supports Asura's Wrath. I'll be posting a thread about this today hopefully.

That's the one thing I can do! And probably a few other games as well, I suppose (Binary Domain goooooooooo!). Also, being the lord of the anime discussion thread is not as glamorous as you might think!

#41 Posted by Grilledcheez (3943 posts) -

I wish, the cumulative community data from the lists was one of my favorite things on the site. I also enjoyed Jeff breaking it down in the articles.

#42 Posted by Just_an_other_muffin (90 posts) -

For the last few years I was in a spot where I only picked up a few games a year. This was the first year that I was able to play almost every game that I had interest in so I would love it if they did what they do in 2010 again.

#43 Edited by Winternet (8006 posts) -

Man, GOTY stuff. Jeez, making a top10 list this year will be pretty weird.

#44 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

@Phatmac: Would you at all be interested in having the input of someone who's managed to play zero 2012 games in 2012? I am fully prepared to make baseless, outrageous claims about a games' quality or lack thereof, using the vague impressions I have gleaned via cultural osmosis from the Internet.

#45 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Phatmac: Would you at all be interested in having the input of someone who's managed to play zero 2012 games in 2012? I am fully prepared to make baseless, outrageous claims about a games' quality or lack thereof, using the vague impressions I have gleaned via cultural osmosis from the Internet.

As much fun as your take on this year would be, I'd rather have a more knowledgeable person on the podcast in the topic of this year's best games. I'll keep your name in the bench for now just in case I can't get anyone else to do it with me. Here's the thread for the podcast by the way. http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/anyone-up-for-a-giant-bomb-community-top-ten-goty-2012-podcast/568500/

#46 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@AndrewB: I will always read your stuff, Andrew! You're my Holo buddy!

#47 Posted by AndrewB (7492 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: The author of such compelling blog posts as: Which Windows 8 box art are you?

Does this mean I can never change my avatar again (you might say "who would want to?" but there's an infinite number of possibilities waiting for me to shrink them down to about 80 square pixels)?

#48 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@AndrewB: I feel like I don't have the right to tell you that considering how I am with avatars! As long as it's as good as Holo I will be satisfied!

#49 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

As much fun as your take on this year would be, I'd rather have a more knowledgeable person on the podcast in the topic of this year's best games. I'll keep your name in the bench for now just in case I can't get anyone else to do it with me. Here's the thread for the podcast by the way. http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/anyone-up-for-a-giant-bomb-community-top-ten-goty-2012-podcast/568500/

I am beyond excited to do this. I played a vast majority of the games that came out in 2012, so this should be good!