• 105 results
Posted by MarkM (288 posts) 6 months, 22 days ago

Poll: Are we in a 20 year ongoing videogame golden age? (219 votes)

Yes 45%
No 55%

Video games in 1994 were awesome.

It is 2014.

I see no gap in this timeline. No industry crash. A constant stream of games that brought with it many gems that have been iterated on to present day (you still play MGS don't you?)

I'll still get excited about a mario game or a zelda game TODAY.

20+ years. golden age. ongoing.

pretty sure I just scientifically proved video games are awesome.

#1 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

What about the PS2 era? For some reason, that feels like a dip.

#3 Posted by MarkM (288 posts) -

#4 Edited by LikeaSsur (1495 posts) -

You mean the best selling console of all time? Yeah, that was the dip.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

I meant in terms of the games. The PS2 was the only system with a ton of great games, and I can only name a few for it (although that's more from lack of experience). The Xbox had Halo, Knights of the Old Republic, and then not much else. The GameCube had Nintendo properties, RE4, and then not much else I can remember right now.

#6 Posted by Kidavenger (3510 posts) -

In order for it to be a golden age, there needs to be significant advancements, I think we are in a rut right now; the last major genre to come out was MMOs, and even they haven't really changed much since Everquest came out 15 years ago. Things are good, but not exciting like they were in the 90s.

#7 Posted by MarkM (288 posts) -

In order for it to be a golden age, there needs to be significant advancements, I think we are in a rut right now; the last major genre to come out was MMOs, and even they haven't really changed much since Everquest came out 15 years ago. Things are good, but not exciting like they were in the 90s.

MOBAs
Fighting games 2012 onward..
RTS has taken over S Korea

#8 Edited by SSully (4125 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@likeassur said:

@video_game_king said:

I meant in terms of the games. The PS2 was the only system with a ton of great games, and I can only name a few for it (although that's more from lack of experience). The Xbox had Halo, Knights of the Old Republic, and then not much else. The GameCube had Nintendo properties, RE4, and then not much else I can remember right now.

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader YOU ANIMAL!

#9 Posted by Brodehouse (9586 posts) -

No. Did you start playing games in 1994? Is that what this is?

You see golden ages in genre or format, not in mediums. There was no golden age in architecture, there was just various movements with different subjective tastes. Hence why the golden age of console shooters killed the golden age of PC shooters killed the golden age of JRPGs killed the golden age of fighting games killed the golden age of point-and-click adventure games killed the golden age of platformers killed the golden age of home consoles killed the golden age of arcade games forever and with more details.

#10 Edited by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@brodehouse:

You mean you can't have concurrent golden ages? I mean, platformers and JRPGs both had it pretty good in the 90s.

#11 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3749 posts) -
@kidavenger said:

Free to Play games, mobile and tablet games, the whole "building" genre (Minecraft and the like), MOBAs, the use of Rouge-like elements, the growth of indie games, Kickstarter and Early Access, flexible pricing and size of games, how so many games are becoming MMO like... among some other genres or big ideas that I'm sure I'm forgetting. I don't agree. It's a pretty big and changing time for games.

#12 Edited by VeggiesBro (117 posts) -

I was thinking along similar lines. I have no real complaints, things are good and great games are being made. But I dunno if golden age is appropriate.

#13 Edited by Kidavenger (3510 posts) -

@markm said:

@kidavenger said:

MOBAs

MOBAs have been around since the 90s, Netrek, Star Control, The Unholy War, they certainly are more popular now than they ever have been before but I wouldn't call them new.

Fighting games? really?

RTS took over S Korea in the 90s...

#14 Edited by Taku128 (793 posts) -

Great games are few and far between nowadays. The baseline of quality has risen so there's a lot of merely decent games instead of shitty ones, but very few games stand out as memorable to me anymore. Indie games have started to change that recently, but I thought most of this previous generation was pretty lame.

#15 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@likeassur said:

@video_game_king said:

You are not wrong that Ps2 dominated that gen. But there are more good games for xbox/gc than that. Including Ninja Gaiden Black, which is simply outstanding.

#16 Edited by Brodehouse (9586 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@brodehouse:

You mean you can't have concurrent golden ages? I mean, platformers and JRPGs both had it pretty good in the 90s.

You know I'm actually not po-faced and serious all the time.

I also skipped the golden era of CRPGs, MMOs and text adventures!

#17 Edited by McDayman (99 posts) -

I'm of the mindset that a time period can only be deemed a golden age posthumously. In the present, people tend to weigh the good and bad equally. When I think of a golden age, I imagine it as looking back to a past period where the good things that were occurring stand out significantly over the bad.

Also, unless the future of gaming takes a significant dive in quality, I don't imagine the present as being looked back on so fondly. We may have a steady stream of interesting games to play, but look at industry side. The last five years are marked more than anything by studio closures, poor planning/development practices, and general industry turmoil. If anything, I'd say we're in a transitional period.

#18 Edited by Jeust (10477 posts) -

Personally for me this generation will mark the ending of the golden age of gaming. Lack of creativity, churning of sequels, DLC, microtransactions and multiplayer online will tarnish the generation.

@video_game_king said:

@likeassur said:

@video_game_king said:

Well, I can't speak for the Xbox catalogue, but VGK you should dig deeper into the PS2 and Nintendo Gamecube catalogues, or risk a coup in your video game kingdom.

There are lots of great games in the PS2 and Gamecube, like:

• Final Fantasy X, X-2 and XII;
  • Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil 4;
  • Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem;
  • Luigi's Mansion;
  • Baten Kaitos 1& 2;
  • Drakengard;
  • Shadow Hears 1 and 2;
  • Persona 3 and Persona 4;
  • Silent Hill 2, 3, 4 and Origins;
  • Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne;
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2;
  • Black;
  • Pikmin;
  • Super Mario Sunshine;
  • Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army;
  • Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon;
  • Disgaea 1 and 2;
  • Fatal Frame 1, 2 and 3;
  • The Suffering 1 and 2;
  • Spiderman 2;
  • Hulk: Ultimate Destruction;
  • Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 and Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3;
  • GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas;
  • Gran Turismo 4;
  • Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2;
  • God of War I and II;
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3;
  • Devil May Cry and Devil May Cry 3;
  • Bully;
  • The Warriors;
  • Crazy Taxi;
  • Star Ocean: Till the End of Time;
  • Scarface: The World is Yours;
  • Xenosaga 2;
  • Super Smash Brothers: Melee;
  • Metroid Prime;
  • Paper Mario.

For the Xbox it was also released Ninja Gaiden and Fable: The Lost Chapters.

#19 Posted by MarkM (288 posts) -

@markm said:

@kidavenger said:

MOBAs

MOBAs have been around since the 90s, Netrek, Star Control, The Unholy War, they certainly are more popular now than they ever have been before but I wouldn't call them new.

Fighting games? really?

wat.

#20 Posted by Sinusoidal (1289 posts) -

@markm said:

@kidavenger said:

wat.

Yes. Starcraft 1 was released right around the time South Korea was busy building PC Bangs (PC Rooms) on every corner. That was 1998. Lately, even the unassailable king of video games in Korea (Starcraft) has lost a lot of its audience to MOBAs.

#21 Edited by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

No because there have been some dips from year to year. I would say 2013 was a dip in the TOTAL quality of games with a few outliers. I can't call a 20 year period of gaming a golden age, silver age maybe.

#22 Edited by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

@sinusoidal said:

@markm said:

@kidavenger said:

wat.

Yes. Starcraft 1 was released right around the time South Korea was busy building PC Bangs (PC Rooms) on every corner. That was 1998. Lately, even the unassailable king of video games in Korea (Starcraft) has lost a lot of its audience to MOBAs.

Yeah, I'd also say that Herzog Zwei had more of a proto-MOBA than proto-RTS setup (it's often promoted as the first ever RTS), and it was released in 1989. I'd say the golden age probably lasted up until the early 00's, but after that we've had more iteration than innovation.

Fighting games and RTS games haven't changed a lot since the 90's, StarCraft 1 certainly was incredibly big as an esports thing in the late 90's both in Korea and much of Europe. MOBA's did evolve quite a bit for a while, but for the past decade they're pretty much all about remaking DOTA.

#23 Posted by believer258 (11635 posts) -

@jeust said:

Personally for me this generation will mark the ending of the golden age of gaming. Lack of creativity, churning of sequels, DLC, microtransactions and multiplayer online will tarnish the generation.

@video_game_king said:

@likeassur said:

@video_game_king said:

Well, I can't speak for the Xbox catalogue, but VGK you should dig deeper into the PS2 and Nintendo Gamecube catalogues, or risk a coup in your video game kingdom.

There are lots of great games in the PS2 and Gamecube, like:

• Final Fantasy X, X-2 and XII;
  • Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil 4;
  • Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem;
  • Luigi's Mansion;
  • Baten Kaitos 1& 2;
  • Drakengard;
  • Shadow Hears 1 and 2;
  • Persona 3 and Persona 4;
  • Silent Hill 2, 3, 4 and Origins;
  • Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne;
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2;
  • Black;
  • Pikmin;
  • Super Mario Sunshine;
  • Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army;
  • Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon;
  • Disgaea 1 and 2;
  • Fatal Frame 1, 2 and 3;
  • The Suffering 1 and 2;
  • Spiderman 2;
  • Hulk: Ultimate Destruction;
  • Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 and Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3;
  • GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas;
  • Gran Turismo 4;
  • Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2;
  • God of War I and II;
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3;
  • Devil May Cry and Devil May Cry 3;
  • Bully;
  • The Warriors;
  • Crazy Taxi;
  • Star Ocean: Till the End of Time;
  • Scarface: The World is Yours;
  • Xenosaga 2;
  • Super Smash Brothers: Melee;
  • Metroid Prime;
  • Paper Mario.

For the Xbox it was also released Ninja Gaiden and Fable: The Lost Chapters.

Duder, he said that the PS2 was the only system with a ton of great games.

I kind of disagree, I think the PS2 just had such a massive catalog of great games that it put the Gamecube and Xbox to shame. There was still a fair amount of stuff to play on those two systems.

Actually, if you define a "golden age" as "an age of newness and innovation and interesting ideas spreading and expanding", then the PS2 era wasn't quite it. Those games were fantastic, but looking back it seems more like a "capping off" of many ideas that flowered in the '90's.

I'm still not convinced that gaming is old enough to have had any sort of golden age yet.

#24 Posted by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

I'm still not convinced that gaming is old enough to have had any sort of golden age yet.

I think it's pretty much comparable with when the film medium was during what's considered it's golden age. Film started off in the late 1880's, and by around 1917-20 several countries (Germany, Sweden, the Soviet Union) saw their "golden age of cinema", lasting up until the late 30's, with the Golden Age of Hollywood starting in the late 20's and lasting up to the 1960's.

Video games and movies are obviously quite different media, but I think we've had games long enough for there to possibly have been, or currently be, an golden age. Not entirely sure at what point one can look back and say that something was a golden age though.

#25 Edited by believer258 (11635 posts) -

@fisk0 said:

@believer258 said:

I think it's pretty much comparable with when the film medium was during what's considered it's golden age. Film started off in the late 1880's, and by around 1917-20 several countries (Germany, Sweden, the Soviet Union) saw their "golden age of cinema", lasting up until the late 30's, with the Golden Age of Hollywood starting in the late 20's and lasting up to the 1960's.

Video games and movies are obviously quite different media, but I think we've had games long enough for there to possibly have been, or currently be, an golden age. Not entirely sure at what point one can look back and say that something was a golden age though.

This is my issue. We can't really know that we're in a golden age until it's ended.

By the way, "gaming golden age", is becoming the new "Citizen Kane of gaming" at an alarmingly fast rate.

#26 Edited by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@fisk0 said:

@believer258 said:

This is my issue. We can't really know that we're in a golden age until it's ended.

By the way, "gaming golden age", is becoming the new "Citizen Kane of gaming" at an alarmingly fast rate.

Yeah, it's certainly a kinda weird or even silly discussion to have, I'm mostly opposed to the idea that video games are still too young to possibly have reached that point yet, but I believe we'll need a few more decades before we can really determine what is or was some kind of golden age for the medium. Still, I am not sure at what point cinephiles were able to determine when the golden age of various countries' film production was, some of it seems to have been determined fairly soon after the eras ended.

#27 Posted by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

I'm not sure how you can categorize such a massive chunk of the entire history of video games as a "golden age". Maybe a few decades from now we'll be able to look back and have enough context to make a statement like that, but right now it just seems like there's no way to really make such a proclamation.

Right now, the only gaming "era" I'd really be willing to put a label on is the "depression" or "crash" that occurred during the early-mid 80's prior to Nintendo turning the market around.

#28 Posted by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

I'm not sure how you can categorize such a massive chunk of the entire history of video games as a "golden age". Maybe a few decades from now we'll be able to look back and have enough context to make a statement like that, but right now it just seems like there's no way to really make such a proclamation.

Right now, the only gaming "era" I'd really be willing to put a label on is the "depression" or "crash" that occurred during the early-mid 80's prior to Nintendo turning the market around.

Even that is kinda controversial I think, the crash was a fairly localized event, only really affecting the US, and even then only the console market. At the same time the home computer market grew rapidly, especially in Europe, with new genres, distribution methods and game conventions getting established as computers and the knowledge of how to use and program for them became available in schools, libraries and homes. "The Golden Era of Spanish Software" lasting from 1983 to 1992 seems to be a fairly established concept.

#29 Posted by Hunter5024 (5543 posts) -

All of video games are a video game goden age.

#30 Posted by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

@fisk0: Yeah, you're right. Even the North American crash in the 80's is probably too localized an event to really give too much prominence to in the history of the medium.

So I'll just go ahead and fall back to my main point about the OP's golden age claim being unfounded. I don't really blame him though. When you've been playing video games for several decades it's easy to lose sight of the fact that video games haven't actually been around all that long in the grand scheme of things.

#31 Posted by Slag (4008 posts) -

Well if you are talking about a Hundred years of video games history or so, probably yeah.

But I dunno I think games are just getting started, This just might be the console gaming Golden Age.

#32 Posted by maverick1 (92 posts) -

Hmmm maybe we're in the golden age of indie games but who can say for sure.

#33 Posted by Vuud (1943 posts) -

I think the defining parameters of a golden age are the biases of the historians writing about them. I'm not just talkin' about video games.

#34 Posted by YoThatLimp (1880 posts) -

@likeassur said:

@video_game_king said:

You're no king.

#35 Posted by Brodehouse (9586 posts) -

@vuud said:

I think the defining parameters of a golden age are the biases of the historians writing about them. I'm not just talkin' about video games.

#37 Posted by Noblenerf (311 posts) -

The golden age of videogames is ending. It is morphing into something else - the golden age of monetization. Good game design is being replaced with predatory game design to maximize the dollar they squeeze out of every consumer. Free-to-play, subsription-based, or services are what all games will become. Think of it as "the Valve approach."

The time for fun is over.

#38 Posted by DarthOrange (3851 posts) -

The golden age of videogames is ending. It is morphing into something else - the golden age of monetization. Good game design is being replaced with predatory game design to maximize the dollar they squeeze out of every consumer. Free-to-play, subsription-based, or services are what all games will become. Think of it as "the Valve approach."

:'(

#39 Posted by sometimesavowel (122 posts) -

I apologize if this has been said already, but I think "golden age" is the wrong term. I just think videogames are starting to come into their own in an unprecedented way. Just this past year we've had a ton of titles break new ground (Gone Home, Brothers, I'd even argue The Last of Us) but games have been shifting in that direction for years, or at least have been trying to.

Besides, I think a golden age is more easily identifiable once it's ended. To your point, we're not really in a rut right now so it's hard for me to work backwards and declare it a golden age because I can't judge it as a whole. But that's totally objective and just how I look at it.

#40 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

Good game design is being replaced with predatory game design to maximize the dollar they squeeze out of every consumer.

You say that like this is new. What about Modern Warfare clones? Or WW2 shooters? Or mascot platformers? Or arcades? And who said that trying to make money precludes good game design?

#41 Posted by Hunkulese (2642 posts) -

What's so great about 1994? The Playstation? My time with my Genesis and NES were far better than my time with my Playstation.

#42 Posted by Hunkulese (2642 posts) -

Did you even play any videogames last year? It was the greatest year for videogames there has ever been and a tiny fraction of them fall into the category of what you're describing.

#43 Edited by Kevin_Cogneto (999 posts) -

Hmmm maybe we're in the golden age of indie games but who can say for sure.

We are in a golden age of indie games. I can say for sure.

#44 Posted by void (50 posts) -

If by 20 year ongoing video game golden age you mean 30 year ongoing video game golden age, then sure.

#45 Posted by Grither_X (8 posts) -
@void said:

If by 20 year ongoing video game golden age you mean 30 year ongoing video game golden age, then sure.

I agree, it made my vote quite the head-scratcher.

Allow me to comment that freemium games have been slowly killing the progression of the kinds of gaming franchises that made the industry what it is today. In the next five years mainstream gaming will change much like how the auto-tune changed the music industry into a "cheap-for-profit" industry.

#46 Posted by BawlZINmotion (714 posts) -

The classic interpretation of a "Golden Age" is the pinnacle of a way of being, whatever it might be applied to, with successive ages being a decline from the previous. In the case of Greek mythology it corresponds to the ages of man: gold, silver, bronze, heroic and iron. In order for the game industry to exist in an ongoing golden age it would need to have not declined from its start.

I would argue the NES/SNES eras were gold, PS1 silver, PS2 bronze, Xbox 360 heroic and the current generation is iron. With every generation I've witness more and more control, abuse and corruption creep into the industry. Whether it be the advent of online console gaming, micro transactions, or ridiculous "attempts" at digital rights management. Non of this is ideal.

Since the rebirth of the of industry with the Nintendo Entertainment System, we've been on a declining path of control and abuse, lead by corrupting forces out to pillage you and me for as much as they can. I know it sounds dramatic, it is, but it's also true. I don't mind paying for what I want, but I am bothered by methods employed. I'm also extremely bothered by the functional condition of a product I purchase and how increasingly little control I have over it. I paid $60 for Diablo 3, only to have Blizzard dictate to me when and how I can play it. I almost bought Battlefield 4, where I would have been subjected to a product that cannot properly function months after release.

When I got my Super Nintendo and shoved that Super Mario World cartridge into the top, it worked. It didn't want me to authenticate or be online, Nintendo didn't tell me when I could play and I wasn't branded a thief for trading or lending it to friends. So yeah, I think we rolled out of the golden age a long time ago. However, what makes life awesome is that everything happens in cycles. And just as the industry we knew is beginning to rust, there are sparkles of gold everywhere. And so it begins again.

#47 Posted by MarkM (288 posts) -

I'm very happy to see that my opinion was statistically correct.

#48 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@video_game_king: Nintendo had Metroid Prime which is easily a top five game, as is Resident Evil 4 and various other superb Nintendo IPs (Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door perhaps being the foremost), hell even Metroid Prime 2 would easily win Game of the Year last year and be in the top 10 any other year of this generation. The Xbox was terrible of course (though I don't regret having one, Morrowind + Kingdom Under Fire is enough to hold down the fort) and the PS2 had shitloads of good games.

@markm: Your thought process doesn't make much sense; in the 1870s Germany was a top 5 world economy, and they still are today; therefore nothing anyone would regret could have possibly happened inbetween.

#49 Edited by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@fredchuckdave:

That's well within the "Nintendo IPs and RE4" that I mentioned in my original post. The only other thing I can think of is Billy Hatcher, and maybe the Phantasy Star games.

#50 Edited by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

The "golden age" will always be the late 70's through the 80's for me. We're living in a "modern age" of gaming goodness, but a golden age needs time to properly critique. That's why I hate whenever someone describes a new game as "the best game ever".