Are we officially in the new generation yet?

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By regularassmilk

I have been shrugging my shoulders at the PS4 and Xbox One about as soon as I got over their announcements. As someone who has sort of been outside of the gaming loops for a little bit, I haven't been playing a lot of big stuff--mostly just Steam indies, emulators, and my 3DS now and then.

I started listening to the Bombcast again in my car a few months ago because I remembered how much I liked it, and got back into gaming big time--I caught all the E3 stuff, and as someone who has been spreading doom and gloom all year long saying "If this year isn't something special, these consoles--I DON'T KNOW MAN!", I was really impressed. Even the stuff I thought I wouldn't care for like LittleBigPlanet 3 looked surprisingly fun, and fresh. I got all hype for the new Battlefront even though DICE had nothing to show off, and I think that Criterion's first-person car thing looks super cool, and could be incredible with the Morpheus/Rift.

Point being, I still feel like most games coming out are cross-generational, and I just wondered--is 2015 going to be the year we really feel the weight of these consoles? Obviously we're in uncharted territory what with the super long life cycle of the previous generation, but I just feel like the new boxes are really gonna matter this coming year.

I'm all full of joy and my birthday is in July, so I'm hoping to scoop a PS4 up!

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

It's common knowledge that it will take at least a year for games to start looking much better on new consoles. For whatever the reason may be, that has always been the case and sounds like it is the case now as well. For example, Xbox One mostly didn't even hit 1080p with their games so far, but it sounds like most of the upcoming games released later this year will be 1080 on there.

As for games, I know a lot of people are disappointed in Watch Dogs, but I think it's a good game. Also, Destiny is coming out in September and then I'm set for 10 years (not actually, but it is a big deal). We all know it takes some time before new consoles are actually turned on on a regular basis. I almost hit that point. I will have hit it in September for obvious reasons.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

2015 is definitely the year people will completely abandon the old consoles. It's already starting though with the new AC being this gen only, and a lot of the crossgen games run terribly on the old consoles.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bigjeffrey

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

No.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It seems like you are easily impressed as E3 was pretty lackluster and uninspired in a lot of ways this year (except, maybe, Nintendo, Microsoft and arguably Ubisoft).

We are into the new "generation" already, though. Well into it, really (I'd say about a year in) and the gaming landscape looks like it always does a year into a new generation of games- that is to say it always looks bleak until something interesting comes along usually about a couple years or so in. It does seem like 2015 will be the year it finally kicks off, though.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I agree with the choir , it will be in 2015 with the Witcher 3 I say

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

It seems like you are easily impressed as E3 was pretty lackluster and uninspired in a lot of ways this year (except, maybe, Nintendo, Microsoft and arguably Ubisoft).

That is 3/5. There is no way everything is going to appeal to you at E3 (I personally did not care for Microsoft or EA's showings) but if more than half of it seemed good then that is a pretty damn great E3.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By cornbredx

@darthorange: Objectively speaking Nintendo is on the ropes and had to show something exceptional. Whether or not you are interested in the games they showed, they came out swinging and got some buzz around some games. I'm not into Nintendo games as much as I used to be, but they are giving their fans what they want to see- what games are coming to the WiiU. It seems like the games that are coming are of interest to Nintendo fans.

Microsoft has been at it against Sony, which is highly known. Whether you are interested in their games or not they had a better conference merely because they focused on games where as Sony was doing well and then pivoted quickly into business mode halfway through.

I guess Ubisoft is entirely personal preference of mine because they are always insane and fun to watch, in my opinion. You got me there. =)

EA was certainly the worst, as they might as well just came out and said "I don't know, we got some stuff in development, but we don't really have anything concrete to show you yet."

Not trolling, though. E3 was kind of meh this year.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

We are into the new "generation" already, though. Well into it, really (I'd say about a year in) and the gaming landscape looks like it always does a year into a new generation of games- that is to say it always looks bleak until something interesting comes along usually about a couple years or so in. It does seem like 2015 will be the year it finally kicks off, though.

I came in expecting nothing, so by that metric, I was impressed. I was not really excited about any propositions this generation (save for MGS5) and I came out of E3 wanting a console.

I think that Nintendo had a good showing but people are kind of impressed for the same reasons I was with the whole conference: they expected nothing, and did pretty damn good. Being said, I think those Nintendo games totally look like Nintendo games. Even if they are genuinely great, I'm not sure they're relevant.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Oh heck yes, I'd say the gen officially transitioned with Infamous:Second Son/Titanfall releases.

Looking at Gen 7 consoles not much is coming there. Dark Souls 2 was one of the last big titles with very little other than oddball Persona 5 on the horizon.

2015 may be when you really notice the difference but Gen 8 is now, like it or not.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

We are in it. It's just early. This happens all the time. Try naming the five best games from the Xbox 360's first year.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I refer to the generation of PS4 and XB1 as ''current gen'' and I don't even own either of 'em.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

We were in it as soon as the consoles launched.